home birthing - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 02-11-2002, 02:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am pregnant with my third child and I am interested in having a home birth. This is inevitably our last child and I think I am a good candidate for having a home birth. My pregnancies have been fairly uneventful and my births easy. Does anyone know of any good sites to find out more info on this topic? Have you had a home birthing experience you would be willing to share with me? I appreciate any and all opinions/advice I can get. I am only 3 weeks pregnant so I have plenty of time to research this properly. Thanks for your help!

Sheri - "stmom23"
#2 of 8 Old 02-11-2002, 11:28 PM

I've never had a home birth, but I think it would be awesome to be able to.
I would suggest posting this same question on our Homebirth Forum. You can also read all of the wonderful homebirth stoires there.
Best wishes and blessing on you pregnacy and birth,
peggy
#3 of 8 Old 02-16-2002, 01:57 AM

I am also expecting my 3rd baby. We are planning a home/waterbirth this time. We had a hospital birth with the first & a birthing center waterbirth with the 2nd. I have really enjoyed reading the birth stories on www.birthlove.com . The stories are enspiring & also reinforce my hopes for a wonderful, gentle homebirth!
#4 of 8 Old 03-02-2002, 08:40 PM

I would start with finding out what the laws are in your state. I had a homebirth with ds when we lived in Florida. In Florida lay midwives are licensed, so you have a better idea of their practical training and so on. We saw a pair of midwives, one was a certified nurse practitioner midwife & her partner was a licensed midwife. We saw the lm & she delivered ds. I really liked her. Our birth was completly paid for by insurance. I did pay out of pocket for the birth kit, which I probably could have been reimbursed for.

Now we live in St. Louis, Missouri where homebirths are all but illegal. There are no cnm's with hospital privledges in St. Louis either. I could still find a midwife, but she wouldn't have any back up & would have to dissapear or become my doula or friend if I had to transfer. I am not comfortable with that.

I do have friends who have overcome these obstacles & have great homebirths. I am hoping to have a great hospital birth, but I have to admit that I am concerned.
#5 of 8 Old 04-19-2002, 09:17 AM

DS #1 was born in the hospital & it was a satisfying experience -- natural, little interference or intervention. Yet when when I became pregnant again, I really wanted to give birth in a more positive setting. The Bradley Method of Childbirth was key in my empowerment to go for it. (DH & I took Bradley with both pregnancies). I ended up giving birth to DS #2 in our backyard hot tub, surrounded by the beautiful, blooming gardens that DH has planted. It was a dream come true. DH, on the other hand, has a very different version of the story because our lay midwife did not arrive until about 20 minutes before the birth and he was afraid he was going to be delivering the baby alone (well, my sister was there too). Also, when DS #2 was born, there was a naturally occuring weak spot in his umbilical cord which ruptured at birth. The water in the hot tub was totally red. Then it took a minute or so for DS to breathe during which time DH was convinced he was dead. Poor DH!! It took him months to process the trauma. And there I was, Peaceful Patty, basking in my beautiful home birth.

Good luck on your decision.
#6 of 8 Old 04-19-2002, 11:24 AM

Like AMum, I live in a state where homebirth is all but illegal. I didn't think I felt comfortable with that and spend most of my pregnancy planning on a hospital birth. At about 33 weeks, I realized that I just couldn't go through with it and found a midwife. I feel so much better. I'm still receiving parallel care from my doctor who doesn't know that I'm planning to homebirth. The only other thing that I wish I had done was find a more progressive doctor for the paralle care. My doc gave lipservice to supporting my choice for natural childbirth all through my pregnancy, and it was late in the game when I found out how interventionist his so called "natural childbirth" ideas were. I know that homebirthing in a state without legal support and licensing is a little scarier, but my midwife actually likes it better this way because she isn't bound by artificial medical deadlines and stuff. If she feels everything is going well, she can deliver me at home after two weeks post dates etc.

I loved the books _Spiritual Midwifery_ by Ina May Gaskin and _Homebirth_ by Sheila Kitzinger.

Best of luck,
Sarah
#7 of 8 Old 04-30-2002, 01:50 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
while you check out your state laws regarding homebirth, check your insurance to. THough homebirths arent as expensive, it is something to consider.

I had a horrible hospital experience 20 years ago, and a great almost homebirth experience Dec 2000. I labored at home till I was complete, and that was a great experience even though I didnt birth at home. Be prepared for anything, and know that the end result is all that matters - a healthy baby!
#8 of 8 Old 05-13-2002, 06:03 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I see you're from Massachusetts!

If you are in the central, Eastern, or Northern part of the state, I would very highly and without reservation reccomend Adrian Feldhusen. Miraclesbymoonlight.com

I am in Templeton, and I interviewed about six midwives before finding Adrian. There are a number of midwives in this state, however. Feel free to contact me, and I will give you a comprehensive list.

Stephanie

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page