Treasure Mapping for 2007 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 207 Old 02-21-2007, 10:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know I have received a few PMs from people who want to know when the next Treasure Map period will be taking place.
There already is a thread about this in Spirituality forum but since some of you don't have access to it I thought I would put up one for Personal Growth.

For those who don't know... the treasure map is when you take a bunch of pictures, drawing, photos, colors.. and make a collage on a poster board OF ALL the things you want in your life for the next year.

Astrologically it lines up with the Aries New Moon (Not the first day of spring by the way...). You have about 4 days to make the map. DON'T START IT BEFORE!!! It is made after the new aries moon begins. Which by the way, this year is so early in the morning.

this is a period where you allow yourself to dream, dream big, allow your self to want things.. write them down, put up a poem, put up a photo, put up that which sets up your ideal experiences for this new year.

here is the link to 2006's Treasure Map thread in spirituality.

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...light=treasure

Frequently asked Qs and As.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WHAT IS A TREASURE MAP?

A treasure map is a collage made of photos, magazines pictures, words, pieces of things that make sense to you...whatever you want and you put them on a foam core board or just cardboard or just something strong that can handle the collage...you put them all together so you can look at it...it will be a MAP of what you want for the coming year.

what do you mean, "what do I want for the coming year?"
Exactly what it says. Do you want a new house, a new living room, better health, stronger marriage, reconnect with people, a bigger family, a bigger community? do you want to write your book? do you want a new car? what is it you want?
Do you even know what you want? If you are like many of us, you are so busy running around, taking care of everyone else that you might not have a fig of an idea what you want for your new year...that is the beauty of this process...you must sit down and figure it out...give yourself this time to do it. Be just that selfish..and dare to dream.

Why do we do it in the spring and not January?Treasure Maps are made during the Aries new moon. Aries new moon change from year to year and this year, it will take place on April 17, 2007 Note at 11:35 GMT (so minus for US times) -- 27 degrees 05 .
They are made on Aries new moon, because that is the first sign of the zodiac. Aries is when you plant your seeds. It is the real beginning of the new year. It should not be confused with the first day of spring which is usually on March 19 or March 20. New moon means the sun and moon are in the same degree. For those who don't know much about astrology (which is totally okay) Aries is the sign of SIGHT. So, that's why it is so important to have pictures of what you want. YOu need to visualize it. Or if you don't do photos/pictures.. put up words. It is just important for you to SEE THEM.

So, I'm going to be busy on April 17 can I start it before the 17th?
NO.

Do I have to buy a bunch of magazines, I'm broke, can I just borrow some old ones from friends
Personally, when I started my treasure maps I always did them with fresh new magazines. And in the old days, (not married, no children) I spent a lot of dough on them..only because I wanted lots of choices. But with time, I ended up only getting a few magazines. I never borrowed other magazines from friends..but I know that there were people here who did it in the previous years and I think they were happy with their results. So, it really is your call.

What if I don't want magazine photos, can I just use my own pictures.. like my husband, my baby etc?
Sure. I usually colored xerox them so that I would not wreck my originals.

you can also paint what you want. it really is your call.

Is there any pattern i have to use when i put the photos or the words on my board.
no you can do it anyway you want.
I will say that in previous years I used to use the feng shui baguas for my pattern. basically I would break up the board into 9 areas.

1-abundance
2-fame/reputation
3-relationship
4-family
5-health
6-creativity
7-self knowledge (and travel)
8-work
9-helpful people and angels.

If you use the feng shui baguas, you will naturally cover all most all areas of your life..as you can see it is all represented there.

How much time do I have to build my map?edited:
You have about 4 days.. (I'll put in the exact last day --later). YOu can certainly take more time if you need it but really you should try to have it done within 4 days.

do I have to do it alone or can I do it with friends?
You can do it either way. I used to build them with my 2 other friends. We are like sisters and it felt so right to do it with them. We started them together. I know that there are several MDCers who have little parties where they invite those close to them over. I will say this, it is a lot of fun to do them with others..we would all pass around the magazines.. "Hey, I found a great BMW.. does anyone want a new BMW?" Or it would be, "I have got to lose 10 pounds, any ideas what I should put on my map?" and low and behold someone will come up with a good suggestion.

Do i have to finish it all at one sitting?
no. Often I used to cut my stuff out with my friends. maybe glue a little thing here or there and then take it home and finish it there over the course of a day or two.

Can my kids do it with me?
yes! it is great for them to focus and think about what they want. They also might give you their thoughts about what they think you should have in your life. Helps them to think beyond them, right?

Does it work?
Yep. On my first map, I put a photo of a guy on a boat from like a Ralph Loren ad or something like that. Two months later I met my husband. He sails and comes from a long line of yacht clubbers.
It was so odd for me to put that photo up on my map, but there was just something about the feel and look to the guy on the boat that I just liked.

And there you go....we met..dated, a new map (the following year) had a ring on it... and I think you can do the math..... we've been together 10 years.

okay. I don't want to sound like a spoil sport but I"m just not interested in building a collage, can I do something else?

well, the truth is I now don't actually build maps any more. What I now do is take a nice piece of orange paper and write down my wishes during treasure map time. My wishes are almost like prayers and they are much more broad in my desires. But I will say this, I felt like I needed to switch to 'less is more' after several, several years of mapping. So, I had a lot under my belt. I would encourage new comers to make the actual maps. but if you really don't feel the call. then just write your desires down. I like orange paper. So, vibrant. So aries.

Is it ok to have things continue over to the next year? Long-term, ongoing stuff that has progressed but needs to continue to progress?

Yes. Of course. But with a small caveat. My sense after doing these for years is that when something really takes time and doesn't gel in the first year. My experience is that there is something still not in right yet. It might be something you are aware of...like AdinaL shifted from her map from year one to year two by focusing on less things. Getting pregnant was so important by year two that she decided to forgo some of the things from year one. That kind of energy is really important. What I mean.. is it is NOT important to put up less. It is important for you on the following year's map to go into your gut and say what do I REALLY WANT.

I think that is one of the reasons Adina's took a map and half to get to pregnancy. Also, and I'm sure you guys all know this... a baby comes when the baby wants to come. And I felt in Adina's case the baby did not want to be born in the old house which was in a totally different state. So, even though things look on the outside like they didn't happen...they really are. Kind of like peeling an onion.

So, Debrabaker (who asked the above question) you may need to shift something about your long range goals. My sense is that they need a wee bit refining or broadening. Just a thought. But definitely don't give up on the dream.

I'm really excited is there anything I can do now before Treasure Map to help my map?

Yes, yes, yes.... I said this in previous years and I'll remind everyone now. The period just before the Treasure Map is called the balsamic phase. Which is the end of the moon's phase. This is the phase when we get rid of stuff. Get rid of clutter. Get rid of things that are bugging us. Get rid of ick. Try if you can to clear some space in your life so you can be ready for the treasure map. Remember, Einstein said, "NO TWO THINGS CAN OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE." Read that several times... now ask yourself, do I have space in my house, my family, my time, my life in general for more? If the answer is no. Then start housecleaning!

Clear out the stuff between now and the 17th. Now do you understand why it is important not to start your map before the new time?

by the way, I personally don't buy any of my supplies before the New starts. But I know some of you can't do that..so if you must buy before. PUt it aside and don't touch it until the new. Don't thumb through magazines. Leave it all be.

I think that should give you guys a pretty good idea how they work.

I also strongly urge you to look at the old threads..that has a lot of info.

GOOD LUCK!

Check out New Moon on my Astrology Site

http://tracyastrosalon.blogspot.com/

#2 of 207 Old 02-21-2007, 11:15 PM

I can't wait. This will be my first time doing a treasure map.

afro.jpg
#3 of 207 Old 02-22-2007, 03:02 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

#4 of 207 Old 02-22-2007, 03:33 AM

:

Mamato Ruby Violet joy.gif(6 with autism) and someone 1sttri.gif who should make him/herself known sometime in the next month.

#5 of 207 Old 02-22-2007, 03:45 AM

looking forward to it!!
#6 of 207 Old 02-22-2007, 08:28 AM

Subbing....
#7 of 207 Old 02-22-2007, 09:30 AM

Hi Ladies,
I just wanted to say that this totally works. I did this last year with my daughter and a couple of her friends when I was still a lurker and we had a great time making our maps. Thanks Tracy!
Almost everything that we put on our maps came to pass and they are eager to start a new one.
My family had been looking for a choclate lab for a few months,but my daughter could'nt find a picture of a chocolate lab only a black one. I told her to put the picture of the black one up....a labs a lab right? The day she finished her map, my husband and I came across a litter of black labs and could'nt resist, so we brought one home. She had been out for the day, but when she got home, she was so surprised. Wow he looks just like the picture I put up on my map. She said, " Wow he manifested fast!" We love him to death. He was the perfect addition to our family. My advice here is to try to be as specific as possible. We wanted chocolate, but put up black and black is what we got. We would'nt trade him for anything.
One of the cool things that came from my board was a family that moved in next door. We live in a neighborhood with alot of old people, and though I like older people, I have young kids that wanted other kids to play with. I put a picture of a family with little girls that looked about the same age as my girls. This past summer the house nest door went up for sale and guess who moved in? Thats right, a family with girls the same age as mine. My kids have had great playmates since then.
Lots of other stuff has also come about, but I think this is long enough. Thanks again Tracy. I think I will have my Two younger ones join us this year.
Have fun with your maps!
Maggie
#8 of 207 Old 02-22-2007, 04:41 PM

Beautiful Day in Paradise  @BeautifulDayMom  facebook.com/beautifuldaymama

#9 of 207 Old 02-22-2007, 05:30 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Think about stuff, but don't plan your map out right now. The new moon brings things with it, and it may be something different than you are thinking about right now. So, let it simmer, but don't dwell on it. then when you make your map, let new ideas come up too.

For example, I know that I want to work toward getting out of debt, that isn't going to change by April, so I know something about that will be on my map...but what, and how I don't really know yet. I usually come across somethings that I didn't even think about prior to looking at images. So be open.

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

#10 of 207 Old 02-22-2007, 06:30 PM

April 17th is my b-day....maybe mapmaking can be my party . I so feel so special...all of you are going to be waiting on my b-day.
#11 of 207 Old 02-22-2007, 07:29 PM

I am so excited about my Treasure Map this year. I really like the ones I made last year ( I made two because it was getting so big I made one about our home and one about everything else). I feel really good about this year. We have been doing tons and tons of decluttering, so I think by the time April rolls around, we will really be ready.
#12 of 207 Old 02-22-2007, 07:45 PM

subbing!
#13 of 207 Old 02-23-2007, 07:22 AM

subbing...thanks Tracy!!!
#14 of 207 Old 02-24-2007, 05:27 AM

subbing
#15 of 207 Old 02-24-2007, 04:42 PM

This is the first I have ever heard of treasure mapping and am so super excited. I plan to have materials available for the whole family to do them and have been telling everybody I know lol. I saw The Secret discussed on Oprah a couple of weeks ago (I don't know much about it but thought it was very interesting) and the woman on the show had her collage with a pic of her and Oprah with a caption that read "Lisa Tells All on Oprah" that just blew my mind. There Lisa was telling all on Oprah. Does any body else have stories of treasure map wishes come true?

Mom to DD born 1989 DS born 1993 and grandma to
DGS born 2005
#16 of 207 Old 02-25-2007, 01:50 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherie2 View Post
This is the first I have ever heard of treasure mapping and am so super excited. I plan to have materials available for the whole family to do them and have been telling everybody I know lol. I saw The Secret discussed on Oprah a couple of weeks ago (I don't know much about it but thought it was very interesting) and the woman on the show had her collage with a pic of her and Oprah with a caption that read "Lisa Tells All on Oprah" that just blew my mind. There Lisa was telling all on Oprah. Does any body else have stories of treasure map wishes come true?
are you able to go to the spirituality forum ye, cherie2? because if you can you'll find a thread with successes.

#17 of 207 Old 02-25-2007, 04:52 PM

This sounds very neat, I had never heard of it before. Thanks for reposting it outside of the Spirituality forum, I can't get there yet.
Melody

Mom to ds 10/12 and dd 2/05 ribbonrainbow.gif

Blogging about living with xeroderma pigmentosum at www.pacificnights.org/ and about life in general at http://livingavibrantlife.blogspot.com/
#18 of 207 Old 02-25-2007, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplegirl View Post
: I'm IN!
#19 of 207 Old 02-26-2007, 02:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTmama1 View Post
This sounds very neat, I had never heard of it before. Thanks for reposting it outside of the Spirituality forum, I can't get there yet.
Melody
:
#20 of 207 Old 02-26-2007, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplegirl View Post
:
#21 of 207 Old 03-11-2007, 07:39 PM

sounds exciting! i've been feeling this massive urge to declutter, now I know why. 4/17... i'll try to be ready by then!
#22 of 207 Old 03-12-2007, 08:55 AM

Subbing...
#23 of 207 Old 03-12-2007, 02:02 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
:
#24 of 207 Old 03-13-2007, 03:11 PM

That was a great explanation, more motivation to declutter now

Mama to three - DD : 1/03, DS 2/06, and DS 6/09.
#25 of 207 Old 03-15-2007, 07:03 PM

Thanks for posting this here. I can't get to the spirituality forum get and this sounds like a great thing to do. I am going to print the instructions out and plan on doing this and get the whole family aboard so we can get some changes accomplished!
Thanks and bright blessings,
Cheryl
#26 of 207 Old 03-16-2007, 09:34 AM

I'm just reading this for the first time & I'm so excited to make a Treasure Map!!! (I don't wanna wait, LOL!) Does anyone have any pictures of their TM's? If that is too personal, I understand, but I'd love to see what these look like (I'm sure you can do whatever you want, but a jumping off point would rock!).

April

April ... wife to Logan since 12/21/08, momma to Revi 10/30/03 & Wrenna 03/27/09, other-momma to Zoe 10/14/02 & Xander 08/17/04.... still figuring out how to blend a family!
#27 of 207 Old 03-16-2007, 11:05 AM

Wow! I just read this thread and am really excited to do a Treasure Map ! This fits in so perfectly with other work I am doing, right down to the decluttering, both physical and spiritual.

Guess I know when I'll be having that yard sale I've been planning !
#28 of 207 Old 03-16-2007, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter

I'm so glad I put this up in Personal Growth... we have had treasure maps up in spirituality every year for 4 years.. it is nice to bring it here.

okay, so everyone knows.. they have one month to get rid of stuff. WatermelonSnow, have your yard sale before April 17.

and remember everyone, look at your house, if you don't use it or don't love it... ditch it.

and if it is broken, ditch it.

and if it makes you feel bad... you k now the answer.

#29 of 207 Old 03-16-2007, 02:16 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
can someone help me make peace or sense here? when i had to leave ex husband, kids and i moved in with my mom. so we are in her domain, although it is our home now in many ways. but there is a TON of crap around here that she has accumulated and i have no authority to remove.
so how important is all of this? is the energy blocked and is it pointless to even do a treasure map? can i just control my own belongings and still have success? if the bad energy is going to ruin things for me, is there a way to fix it before april 17?

getting her on board with this would be like getting an aborgine to claim jesus christ her savior. it's just not in her radar to even understand or accept or even tolerate removal of mass amounts of unnecessary junk from her stashes to facilitate my "witchcraftery" as she views it.
#30 of 207 Old 03-16-2007, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchyconmomma View Post
can someone help me make peace or sense here? when i had to leave ex husband, kids and i moved in with my mom. so we are in her domain, although it is our home now in many ways. but there is a TON of crap around here that she has accumulated and i have no authority to remove.
so how important is all of this? is the energy blocked and is it pointless to even do a treasure map? can i just control my own belongings and still have success? if the bad energy is going to ruin things for me, is there a way to fix it before april 17?

getting her on board with this would be like getting an aborgine to claim jesus christ her savior. it's just not in her radar to even understand or accept or even tolerate removal of mass amounts of unnecessary junk from her stashes to facilitate my "witchcraftery" as she views it.
If you can consciously clear out one area with this intention, it would really help. Take one area that you have control of, and clean it out and freshen it up very deliberately.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page