Adoptee Support, Take Two - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 238 Old 02-22-2007, 01:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Really three, since another short thread attempt was made by Em, but I'm just being OCD to even mention it.

(I hope the old thread can be archived after cleanup, Georgia- hint hint!)

I think I left off with the new issue of Bastardette. Any ungrateful bastards want to share? (Google, I don't think I am supposed to post the link. )
#2 of 238 Old 02-22-2007, 03:14 PM

I asked to join late yesterday afternoon, before the old thread got removed...and I'd love to share...I need all the support I can get right now

However, I'm not exactly sure what is meant by 'ungrateful bastards' Enlighten please? Ungrateful to who? I don't mean to sound stupid...I'm still trying to figure everything out.
#3 of 238 Old 02-22-2007, 04:05 PM - Thread Starter

www.bastards.org

Our lobby org for adoptee rights. It's strong stuff, and the blog attached is pretty powerful too. (You don't need to worry about it for support here, I was just being sassy.)
#4 of 238 Old 02-22-2007, 04:17 PM

Thanks! I kinda thought it was in that tone...but still not sure

I really missed out on most of the last thread - so I apologize if it's something that has been covered a million times before.

I was raised by my birth mother, but not birth father. My dad adopted me when I was 5 (bio-dad was paying support through that time apparently, and then my mom asked him to terminate his rights). I found all this out in 2004. I've since met my bio-dad and family, and we are working on getting to know each other now. It's a slow process, but it's been a good one.

The thing that I'm having a hard time with now is the reaction I'm getting from my "old" family - none of them wanted me to meet my "new" family - and it's been hard - my relationship with my parents and my sister have suffered incredibly....and I just don't know what to do or how to react - or if how I'm dealing with it is the "right" way.

Of course, that's not the entire story - just a snippet - I did post another thread with more of the story here though.
#5 of 238 Old 02-22-2007, 10:57 PM

Hi Treysonsmommy. I just read your other post.
The old thread will be up for viewing soon. You will find there that you are not alone in your feelings.
The lie your family put you thru of course affected you and your family. How awful. And to think that you would never find out or that you did not deserve to know is crazy!
I think it is wonderful you have connected with your bdad! I recently contacted mine and have been so grateful!
When my bmom knew him he was just out of prison. He now has a masters degree and works for the army! People do change.
Welcome! you will be supported here!
Emilie
#6 of 238 Old 02-22-2007, 11:33 PM

nak, but I wanted to pop in to this thread and subscribe so I don't miss anything.

I've been following the previous (pulled) thread and am so happy you all are here. It's comforting to have a group of caring mamas - who also happen to be adopted - to listen to and to support each other around our unique adoption experiences. It was this group who helped me decide to search for my bdad. In fact, I just contacted the confidential intermediary agency today to get all the forms I need.

Thanks, mamas!

rural mama to DD1 DD2
unschooling, non-vaxing, writing, gardening, co-sleeping, critter-loving family :
#7 of 238 Old 02-22-2007, 11:48 PM

That is wonderful!
I just got an email from my bio dad and we are doing the dna test this week. YIKES!
It is thru the mail and I should know within a week or two once I get it and send it back- I think.
I have been very pleased about finding him and knowing him and he has been as well. His wife has been not so happy- who can blame her- but it isn't like I am after money! LOL. But they have two sons and I can see her wanting to protect her family! I would mine! We will see!

GOOD LUCK ON YOUR JOURNEY!
I always thought I would not really care to much about the dad but I do feel we have a ton in common and a great connection. I like him alot.
Emiilie
#8 of 238 Old 02-23-2007, 12:03 AM

Thank you, Emilie. Yeah, I am full of questions. I have been for years, but put it aside until I had money to pay an intermediary (IL will search for only one relative free of charge). And since no one who knew my bdad is alive in my bmom's family, including my bmom, there's only this way to find him. It is hard to keep the hopeful feelings small, or at least small enough to last the months it will take to know anything. Especially since I look so little like my bmom and her family, I want to know who I resemble!

And TT, I love bastardette. The opinions there and of other adoptees here in this thread and others (that shall ever remain nameless, ahem) helped me flesh out an essay about adoption for my last zine. I'm sure I'll be writing about the search for my bdad, too, eventually.

I hope he's alive.

I hope he wants to meet me.

rural mama to DD1 DD2
unschooling, non-vaxing, writing, gardening, co-sleeping, critter-loving family :
#9 of 238 Old 02-23-2007, 12:14 AM

I hope so too.
The way I found my bio dad was that I knew where his family was from. The town. So I looked up the local newspaper and searched for his name then his last name- his mom had died so it had his name and new town- and I googled it.

Emilie
#10 of 238 Old 02-23-2007, 12:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skim View Post
And TT, I love bastardette. The opinions there and of other adoptees here in this thread and others (that shall ever remain nameless, ahem) helped me flesh out an essay about adoption for my last zine. I'm sure I'll be writing about the search for my bdad, too, eventually.
Who doesn't love a bastard ? (or bastardette ) Good luck with your search- my biodad is cross country & I have never had the money to meet him. (I'd love to read your zine, if you ever want to link!)
#11 of 238 Old 02-23-2007, 11:12 AM

Thanks for the welcome! It's nice to finally have a place where people understand and have btdt, or are going through it right now.

I also want to acknowledge how lucky I am in that when I did decide to search out my bdad it was a relatively easy process....from what I've read about other people so far, it's not the norm. My mom's sister is still friends with someone who is friends with bdad's sister - who happens to live just a few blocks from my parents. Once I met her (baunt?) everything just started to happen.
#12 of 238 Old 02-23-2007, 12:29 PM

hello

Speaking of bio dads.... i'll be seeing mine today (YIKES) at a funeral. It's uncomfortable because the stepmonster banned him from my life. But i'll go for the sake of the rest of my family who tries to maintain "normal" relationships with me.

Skim, did you ever use a search angel? It is so hard to be in search phase. Sometimes i think reunion is hard, but thanks for reminding me that at least i know.

I still wish I had my unaltered birth cert. though. Sometimes i forget about Bastard, i went there yesterday after TT put the link. Reading thru my states laws on adoption was SICKENING. Why is it so F^#$&ng important for the government to ensure I have no way to find my PARENTS. WTF?
#13 of 238 Old 02-23-2007, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter

Because deep-pocketed industry lobbyists whine, "For the children", & tell horror stories of how we'll all be left in dumpsters without anonymity. Well, you knew that already . I mentioned it "for the lurkers"
#14 of 238 Old 02-23-2007, 08:43 PM

IF it were about the best interests of the child which grows to be an adult (DUH) we would have our heritage.
#15 of 238 Old 02-23-2007, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonbeem View Post
Skim, did you ever use a search angel? It is so hard to be in search phase. Sometimes i think reunion is hard, but thanks for reminding me that at least i know.
Nope. Don't know if one could help me since my adoption was done through DCFS, and confidential. What exactly does a search angel do? I thought they helped once you had some kind of information. I have NONE at all (not identifying info). Heck, I tried to get the name of my bdad through the atty. that represented my aparents, but my bmom told him that bdad was deceased so he didn't have it either. Apparently the DCFS does have his name, though.

Hope the funeral wasn't too awful. DP's dad just died the end of January and it's crazy how grief works. The funeral wasn't too bad, but I had to keep the girls with me in the "cry room" during the religious service, and it was -20 wind chill at the grave site with constant gusting winds. Glad that's over.

I am still hopeful about bdad, but I'm pretty sure he wouldn't have been told bmom was pregnant. She was evidently pretty secretive about it because she was disowned for a while by her own family, and lived in a home of sorts toward the end of her pregnancy.

I am so anxious to start the search and PO'd I have to do it through a CI. It's not right that I don't know who he is, and that he probably doesn't know I even exist! That's just crappy. AND it's not free.

So yeah, tell me about the search angel...

rural mama to DD1 DD2
#16 of 238 Old 02-24-2007, 02:59 AM

I'll PM you a link to the org that helped me for free...their help turned out to be of great if indirect value that led me to find and there's lots of links to search angels.

angels are usually people who have a passion for helping others reunite and thru the site hopefully you'll find some one whose familiar with your state

the weather was terrible so we didn't end up goin to the service, kind of a relief.
#17 of 238 Old 02-24-2007, 04:13 AM

Hi and subbing.

Been grieving for my babyself lately. This is about the time when I was adopted, but I was born Jan. 18. It's not until having children and being AP, that that timeframe makes me so sad. A month of what, you know? Laying by myself in a hospital bassinette? My parents always joked/bragged about how I never cried when they got me. Yeah, no sh*t, I bet I didn't. :

I'm thinking that I've been in a lot of denial about the whole adoption part of my life--b/c there has been a lot of stuff lately that has made me very uncomfortable (discussion wise). And if it truly wasn't a the big deal I've stated it to be, then why would that be? I just don't want to be *that* damaged, you know? Like if I pretend, I can just be "above" all that unreasonable adoption angst.
#18 of 238 Old 02-24-2007, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey's mom View Post
I'm thinking that I've been in a lot of denial about the whole adoption part of my life--b/c there has been a lot of stuff lately that has made me very uncomfortable (discussion wise). And if it truly wasn't a the big deal I've stated it to be, then why would that be? I just don't want to be *that* damaged, you know? Like if I pretend, I can just be "above" all that unreasonable adoption angst.
Hm. May I suggest reframing this a bit?

In order to be 'undamaged' or 'minimally damaged', does that mean that you have to be completely comfortable with any discussion of adoption?

Or can a normal, reasonable person be allowed some discomfort over any given subject, if they're in the right (or wrong) mood, if they've been feeling sad lately, if they've been thinking about things in the same vein, so it's fresh in the memory?

Are you afraid of not being praised for being a 'well adjusted' adoptee (or conversely, worried about being disliked if you don't present whatever facade you feel is necessary, or that you're worried you may have been presenting in the past) if you dare disagree or have mixed feelings about any given topic/subject/conversation about adoption or related things?

I would submit to you that it is reasonable to have angst now and then. About anything. If you are in an intense period of mothering right now, I feel it would be more unusual for this to NOT trigger any sort of questions or sadness or mixed feelings, than for you to be thinking about this more. It's okay to have your viewpoint change. It's okay to have your sensitivity change! It's okay for them to flip flop!

Well adjusted does not mean always-complicit-happy-bunny. You can be well adjusted and very angry or sad. In my experience adoptees tend to be very afraid of acknowledging these very strong but healthy emotions because many of us have been told (either explictly or implicitly) that keeping part of oneself shrouded in secret is 'good', and to think otherwise means we are betraying the only family we know.

I am not sure that by dropping the 'pretending' that you'll therefore become damaged. If anything, I think acknowledging mixed feelings and allowing yourself to feel whatever it is that you need to feel in the intensity that you feel it will heal some of whatever damaged is there or reaffirm that you're not.

Just something to think about. It does not have to be all or nothing. Sometimes when people say things they are meant to be backhanded comments, but most of the time they're not. I'm glad you are not willing to pretend anymore! But if this is the first time you've really permitted yourself that freedom, then please allow time...the intensity of what you feel may lessen over time, and you may yet discover it's no big deal for you!

Discussing adoption is intense. I think it can (and often is!) be just as as intense and emotional as political discussion. (In a way, I guess, it is!) I don't think people who get worked up about politics or a blood-pressure-raising story in the news are damaged. It's part of the human experience, when something stirs us.

I just wanted to try to reassure you that you aren't necessarily damaged just because things are intense! That well adjusted normal people can become passionate about things (and be bothered by things that didn't bother them before! Or find they care less about others). Maybe there are some hurts you need to work through, that you didn't think were there. But isn't realizing that they might be there part of being healthy? Everyone deals with this a little differently, and that's okay.
#19 of 238 Old 02-24-2007, 04:45 PM

Hi there and subbing.

Skim, a cheaper possibility may be to contact the county court in the county of your adoption. In my case, they had an attorney who had access to the closed files and conducted the search for $100. The agency fee was $500 (and it was literally the same person who would have done the search!). If my bmother had not wanted contact, I would not have had access to any of the identifying info, which of course is the risk we take.

Also, it is worth a shot to just go ahead and petition the court to open your file. It is up to the discretion of the judge and can vary from court to court. In my case, the judge didn't open my file but the court clerk told me that all files in the court in the neighboring county were opened upon request. So you never know.

Good luck. ND

Mama to 3 daughters, expecting #4chicken3.gif

#20 of 238 Old 02-24-2007, 04:50 PM

Thanks TigerChild. Lots of processing and thinking here!
#21 of 238 Old 02-24-2007, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerchild View Post

Well adjusted does not mean always-complicit-happy-bunny.

I thought I heard my name and personality called.

#22 of 238 Old 02-24-2007, 07:20 PM - Thread Starter

http://www.massnews.com/past_issues/...May/mayds4.htm

A shame I don't feel comfortable posting about unethical adoption practices in Adoption, but so be it.

Interesting the bonuses, no?
#23 of 238 Old 02-24-2007, 08:56 PM

That article, if I'm reading correctly, is from 2000. Do we know that the federal government still will pay those subsidies?

I know the 'bonuses' to adoptive families of special needs kids have been cut drastically in many states. Given the current administration, and its disdain for any kind of social service program, I'd want to see how things stand now, or at least as of 2006, in regards to how many of these things are still in effect.

It is sad that if they're not, it's likely that it's because of politics rather than safety.

However, I would not be suprised one bit, if there was intense pressure to adopt out youngish kids of the right appearance and with no big special needs.

I dunno though. It seems to slam the adoptive families just as much as the government (even directly calling THEM money grubbing, basically). I don't believe that's altogether fair. It also has the mild implication of foster parents 'doing it for the money', which frankly I find as ludicrous as people who say that all mothers who end up relinquishing their children do so because they're incapable and didn't really want the babies/children in the first place. Do SOME people fit that bill? Well, I'm sure that they do, but it's grossly unfair and inaccurate to extrapolate that out to the rest of the population.

But you are right, any kind of adoption critique has a very high threat level.

I am just uncomfortable with this seeming to infer that the foster to adopt system is where the $$ is. In all my research, that seems to be the lowest tier, as far as moneymaking goes. HWIs closely followed by international (or maybe the other way around) seem to hold that honor. But they're mostly private and not funded by the govt. (unless you count a one time tax credit, just like a birth) so I guess one can make the case for it rising to the top.
#24 of 238 Old 02-24-2007, 10:50 PM

I think we need to tread lightly - I think there are alot of people watching and our kindness and acceptance is what is going to do the most good right now.
But I am a peacemaker at heart.....

I feel you TT. I do. Lets just be cool and see- this will be good for us all- everyone- some of the time.
#25 of 238 Old 02-24-2007, 11:04 PM

To note, I do understand what you're saying TT. And I have gotten that vibe in the past as well. However, we do seem to have a bumper crop of people willing to share their views and stand behind them, which hasn't happened really that I recall in the time I've been here.

I think it does more good to just keep going on and build on what's being built now, than it does to worry about past behavior. You're never going to win everyone, everyone's not going to win you. But holding grudges or just deciding that nothing's going to change tends to become a self-fulfilling prophecy.

And I seem to notice you speaking out a lot more too. Well whaddya know? Let's keep it up, and see if anything good shakes down. It's going to take longer than a few weeks though, right?
#26 of 238 Old 02-25-2007, 01:44 AM

Hi,

I know this is a thread for Adoptee Support, and I did not get a chance to look at the other thread, but has anyone on the thread ever had a good experience with their adoption? Now don't flame me please, as it is a wholeheartedly honest question. The reason I ask, is that I adopted my son 2.5 years ago (as an infant), and absolutely worry about his wellbeing as he grows up.

We are a newer adoptive family, and ours of course is more open (more so than our agency ever wanted it to be). However, sorry to say for my son, his BDad is deceased, his BMom had contact for 3 months and disappeared, and his paternal Grandma has recently shut down contact. I love his Grandma, and hope she some day starts talking to us again, but I think watching him grow may have been a little much for her at the moment. So, I have not pushed that. However, as my son gets older, I do have pics on his wall, letters, and cards to show him, but if there is no contact, there is no contact. I would have no problem with helping him find his BMom, and I know how to get a hold of his Grandma, but how I do worry that he will be bitter toward his birthfamily. I never want this, as this was an incredibly tough decision for his BMom, and I thank her every day. So if you had a chance to tell your parents how you wanted them to treat this situcation, what would you do? Or, have any of you actually experienced something like this?

TT I am sorry that you are so hurt. I do not know, nor would I ever pry into, what happened, and I do hope you find what you need. Alas, you are correct, adoption is a big business. However, it is not just by agencies. We were scammed out of money by 2 supposed BMoms, and our agency (whom missed this) was unforgiving. We also had a little girl for 10 days earlier last year, when her Mom called us, and threatened to kill herself if she did not get her back. She wanted to borrow money from me for some formula, diapers, clothes, and a car seat as she had no money or job at the time. Yes, I was upset to have to give her back, but it was her Mom. Asking me for money after she wanted her back hurt. I did not give it to her, but I did give her all of those things that I would not need anyway. It was just to make sure that she did not have any undue expenses for at least a month, and that baby had all she needed. However, I dressed her, kissed her, and prayed that she would have a wonderful life. As she loved by so many, it should not be a problem. All in all, those losses, plus our son's adoption, totaled around $45,000. We are not rich, and we are still paying on my son's adoption. We are looking into an international one now, and the agencies are not the ones taking most of the money, it's the countries and the facilitators in those countries. The average adoption of a foreign child is $27,000 (some higher and lower). This is higher than the majority of domestic infant adoptions, and Americans adopt 15,000+ children a year. The US gov't charges major dollars for application fees, visa fees, medical exam fees, etc. So again, yes very very big business. I never did look into the US foster care system.

It's not always sunshine enemas for adoptive Moms either....

Head covering Pagan-Quaker mama to 6yo DS, and DH. Recent WAHM www.napleshealthadvisers.com
#27 of 238 Old 02-25-2007, 02:32 AM - Thread Starter

Sigh.
#28 of 238 Old 02-25-2007, 03:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by feyfollow View Post
I know this is a thread for Adoptee Support, and I did not get a chance to look at the other thread, but has anyone on the thread ever had a good experience with their adoption? Now don't flame me please, as it is a wholeheartedly honest question. The reason I ask, is that I adopted my son 2.5 years ago (as an infant), and absolutely worry about his wellbeing as he grows up.
I understand that you are asking this without malice.

But yes, you are right. This is a thread for Adoptee Support.

If you go and read more on the adoption board, you will see the varying experiences we have had with adoption.

This is really not the place for us to answer questions not from adoptees.

If you post this question elsewhere, however, I may answer it. Or, to be very honest, I may not. I answer truthfully and give my experiences openly on the adoption board, and if someone hasn't taken the time to read them, then I may decide I don't want to go through it again, on a thread primarily aimed at adoptees.
#29 of 238 Old 02-25-2007, 11:15 AM

Tigerchild thank you, and I will not bother again .

Head covering Pagan-Quaker mama to 6yo DS, and DH. Recent WAHM www.napleshealthadvisers.com
#30 of 238 Old 02-25-2007, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey's mom View Post
...It's not until having children and being AP, that that timeframe makes me so sad. A month of what, you know? Laying by myself in a hospital bassinette? My parents always joked/bragged about how I never cried when they got me. Yeah, no sh*t, I bet I didn't. :...
I can barely process thinking about the first five days of dd's life. She was found under a bridge in the dead of winter, with snow covering the ground. She was dehydrated and suffering from exposure. There is a 'found' picture of her taken when she was processed into the orphange and the look on her face is just heartrending.

Dd came to us at one year of age. We were 'fortunate' to be able to tour the orphanage from where she came, meet the nannies who had cared for her primarily that first year, and also to visit her 'finding place' - the place where she had been discovered at about five days of age. It was painful to witness, but we felt strongly that it was important to collect those memories while we had the chance in order to be able to provide them for her later when she chose to look back.

We took lots of video footage, of course. A while back we got out the videos after dd had gone to bed and went through some of them. At one time we had started playing one of the orphanage videos while dd was in the room. But she reacted very badly, appearing uncharacteristically fearful and anxious, and had nightmares throughout most of that night. So we've chosen not to expose her to them again until she is able to indicate that she is interested in seeing them. We do keep photo montages on the wall which include pictures from her orphanage. And we talk openly about the fact that the nannies in the orphanage took care of her when she was a tiny baby, while we were waiting to come and get her. She's comfortable with this language and these ideas, so it appears.

Anyway, dh and I started looking over the videos one night. It's weird, in the footage, we appear casual, almost glib. Dh is cracking jokes and I'm walking around with this limp smile on my face. But as we sat and watched the video, and saw the conditions in which dd was living at that time, it made us both literally physically ill. We couldn't watch it. Dh got up and turned off the video and we just sat together and cried. I think it was maybe the second time I've seen dh cry in the thirteen years I've known him. The first was when dd was placed in his arms for the first time.

Folks seem really interested in putting people's words in the 'right' category, if there is such a thing. If you all think this doesn't fit here in this thread, let me know and I'll remove it.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page