I want to sing again, but I need confidence - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 03-12-2007, 04:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I grew up performing. I took acting classes, had an agent, was in commercials, and did musicals. I enjoyed it, but my family kind of pressured me about performing. They wanted me to do bigger things than I had the confidence for or the interest in. I wanted to sing for the enjoyment of it--not to be famous and have all that pressure. I didn't have a good relationship with my mom and I felt like she just wanted to show me off. So her bugging me about performing just made me less interested in it.

There were a few other reasons that I stopped performing. I couldn't read music. I had always learned songs by ear. I could get by with that growing up, but once I got to college, I felt out of my league. I guess I thought I wouldn't be good enough to compete with voice majors. Also, I needed braces and was overweight. So I felt self-conscious when I was on stage.

My teeth are straight now, but I still can't read music and I'm even more overweight. I'm out of practice too. But there's this secret desire to perform again--maybe in a musical in a small, local playhouse. I miss the artsy me! I wonder if you have to be skinny to be in a musical in your community. I wish I had the confidence to do it!
#2 of 9 Old 03-12-2007, 11:56 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
not in the performances i see in my area.

do u know if ur voice has changed? mine has. but then i want to and used to sing in a chorus/choir not solo. i have to do it solo just for audition not in front of everyone else. i cant read music either - like pick up an unknown lin eof music and just sing the tune. but it is a lead and helps me and i have sung at varoius different musical events where that wasnt necessary.

i personally plan to take voice lessons because they all end with a public performance. i want to get over my fear and lack of confidence of singing by myself.

can u afford voice lessons? woudl they give u more confidence?

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#3 of 9 Old 03-12-2007, 10:13 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for writing. I'd say my voice is deeper than it was when I was younger. That's a good idea about the voice lessons!
#4 of 9 Old 03-13-2007, 06:24 AM

I (former voice major) agree-- I'd start with voice lessons and maybe some sort of community choir, and move to musical theatre later. Maybe a few adult piano lessons too, to learn to read.
#5 of 9 Old 03-13-2007, 11:37 AM

I sang in high school choir and was missing it ever since when I finally started singing w/choir at our church. This led to a musical revue they put on every year and shortly after that the artistic director asked me and some of the other women from the revue/choir if we'd like to form an octet. We are still going strong 3 years later and have quite a repetoire, and we do performances about 1x/mo around the community. I do read treble clef, but am not the best sight reader so most of my learning is by ear. Reading music is not that hard though, and if you could learn a bit, that would probably help. As far as the voice changing, I started back as 2nd soprano but they eventually moved me back to 1st since there weren't many others who could at least somewhat sing high, but my voice isn't where it was back in hs. If you start to sing again I'm sure you will figure out the range that is most comfortable for you. Church/community choirs are a great place to start and meet others with the same interests. If someone had told me 5 years ago I would be doing what I am now I would never have believed it. It's not like I have this amazing voice or even all that much experience other than junior high and high school, I only studied voice about 1 year prior to audition for choir way back when. Getting out there and singing w/others who love to do it can lead to amazing things! Go for it!
#6 of 9 Old 03-13-2007, 11:46 PM

I love singing also, I loved performing! I miss it so much. I plan to take some voice lessons in the next couple of years and then audition for the symphony chorale in my city. I say go for it, SING! Anywhere!

~Rose~ 

Homeschooling Mom to Two Boys, 13 & 9. rainbow1284.gif Baby Girl Arriving April 2013!

#7 of 9 Old 03-15-2007, 12:09 PM

I don't read music, either. And I don't take voice.

I sing in my (quite excellent) church choir. As long as I show up for rehearsals, I'm good, and my ear's gotten much better since I've been in a congregation where they sing harmonies on the hymns.

My point, here, is that you don't have to know a bunch of stuff to sing. You're going to have fun with it and it's going to be fine!
#8 of 9 Old 03-15-2007, 12:15 PM

Go for it momofcutie!

The voice lessons are an excellent place to start. Build you skill and confidence. I would LOVE to sing again. I miss the exhilaration. Especially in groups. I love chorale singing. My favorite.

It is one of my goals to join a group in the next year. I work a lot and I have two young children, so I need to wait for my job to calm down before I do it.

Just find a place to start and just sing.
#9 of 9 Old 03-19-2007, 02:12 PM

I hope you are singing each day and finding songs you love.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page