Life After Waldorf ~ A Support Group - Page 15 - Mothering Forums

 5Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
#421 of 1208 Old 11-22-2007, 12:23 PM
 
ravenna206's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Inbetween a rock and a hard place
Posts: 159
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello to all the new posters. Congrats Kira!!! Wow Gerlassie, I have 2 and am totally tuckered out!
How terrible, that site exploited and used so many people! You never know what people are capable of. Sometimes reality is a scary place.
I was having a conversation with my mother about homework. Both of us remember me doing tons of homework starting in 3rd grade. She was saying how she feels bad that my dd gets stuck with tons of homework. Which is untrue, dd only gets 15 minutes 4 days a week. If it's research, it can take a half an hour. I think I had an undiagnosed learning disability. Which is why I took forever when doing homework.
How are others fairing with homework?
ravenna206 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#422 of 1208 Old 11-22-2007, 12:39 PM
 
sapphos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: St. Pete/Clearwater/Tampa bound from Miami!
Posts: 361
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by beansavi View Post
Another over 40 mama here! You rock! It is nice to meet you!
another one here too! :

Laura mama to Caitlyn 12/26/06 and Frenchie dh non vaccing unschooling multilingual family
sapphos is offline  
#423 of 1208 Old 11-22-2007, 03:28 PM
 
SquibsNCrackers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Packed in Bubble Wrap
Posts: 887
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
another over 40 mama here ... subbing cuz I wanted to see what Beansavi was up to, and then and and :
over the Kytka business!!!!

My kids have always been home, but we've also always been connected with a W community and my heart is here with y'all. No school stories, but I did have a eurhythmist tell me she couldn't contact my child's angel in her (the eurhythmist's) dreamwork so I should be very, very concerned about the darkness the eurhythmist could see in dd. :

where's that Twilight Zone music?!?!?
SquibsNCrackers is offline  
 
#424 of 1208 Old 11-22-2007, 11:39 PM - Thread Starter
 
beansavi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Listening to Widespread!
Posts: 4,092
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenna206 View Post
Hello to all the new posters. Congrats Kira!!! Wow Gerlassie, I have 2 and am totally tuckered out!
How terrible, that site exploited and used so many people! You never know what people are capable of. Sometimes reality is a scary place.
I was having a conversation with my mother about homework. Both of us remember me doing tons of homework starting in 3rd grade. She was saying how she feels bad that my dd gets stuck with tons of homework. Which is untrue, dd only gets 15 minutes 4 days a week. If it's research, it can take a half an hour. I think I had an undiagnosed learning disability. Which is why I took forever when doing homework.
How are others fairing with homework?

My kids have about 20 minutes a day. DS had about 45 minutes in 3rd grade but his teacher was not...um...typical.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphos View Post
another one here too! :
I knew I liked you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by peatmom View Post
another over 40 mama here ... subbing cuz I wanted to see what Beansavi was up to, and then and and :
over the Kytka business!!!!

My kids have always been home, but we've also always been connected with a W community and my heart is here with y'all. No school stories, but I did have a eurhythmist tell me she couldn't contact my child's angel in her (the eurhythmist's) dreamwork so I should be very, very concerned about the darkness the eurhythmist could see in dd. :

where's that Twilight Zone music?!?!?
Peatie! GASP on the angel comment. Those are the kinds that come up in the faculty meetings and the parents NEVER KNOW. Yet we wonder why things have "changed" and people are not as warm to us as they were when we first joined a waldorf school....

Peatie, I flew with my kids to London for 6 weeks and so we have been adjusting. I will get back to where we met asap!

Hugs,
and Happy Thanksgiving to all!

Bean
beansavi is offline  
#425 of 1208 Old 11-23-2007, 12:09 PM
 
karne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 3,558
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Loving this group over over 40 moms (me too!). Homework...20 mins. a night, plus reading, and my dd loves it because this year she actually knows how to read and do math, so she loves to show off her skills to us!
karne is offline  
#426 of 1208 Old 11-23-2007, 04:07 PM
 
raksmama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: by the Rideau River
Posts: 1,161
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Congratulations Kira on the birth of your new child!
Congratulations Beansavi on your son! You must be so proud!
Welcome to all the new Posters peatmom sapphos,gerlassie,superpickle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by karne View Post
Loving this group over 40 moms (me too!). Homework...20 mins. a night, plus reading, and my dd loves it because this year she actually knows how to read and do math, so she loves to show off her skills to us!
I am Way over 40!
My son has a lot of homework between 1 to 2 hours a night. It could be because he was so far behind to start with but 1-2 hours is too much IMO but I still like this school, a public Catholic school the most of all the schools my son has been in.
raksmama is offline  
#427 of 1208 Old 11-23-2007, 11:30 PM - Thread Starter
 
beansavi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Listening to Widespread!
Posts: 4,092
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by karne View Post
Loving this group over over 40 moms (me too!). Homework...20 mins. a night, plus reading, and my dd loves it because this year she actually knows how to read and do math, so she loves to show off her skills to us!
Yay! There I was, starting a thread about 40+ mamas...and you all were right here! That is so awesome that she loves to show off her skills How adorable!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalilah View Post
I am Way over 40!
My son has a lot of homework between 1 to 2 hours a night. It could be because he was so far behind to start with but 1-2 hours is too much IMO but I still like this school, a public Catholic school the most of all the schools my son has been in.
Yay Jalilah! Way over 40 rocks. And most of the private schools around here have 2 hours of homework plus mandatory sports.

But the public schools (at least our county, which is quite large) states "30 minutes and the rest should be spent playing with the TV off".
beansavi is offline  
#428 of 1208 Old 11-23-2007, 11:33 PM
 
karne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 3,558
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi Mama's...quickie question. Do you have any traditions you have kept or jettisoned since leaving your ws? Wondering esp. as we approach advent. Our family has always done St. Nick. day, so we'll keep up with it. Any thoughts?
karne is offline  
#429 of 1208 Old 11-23-2007, 11:44 PM - Thread Starter
 
beansavi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Listening to Widespread!
Posts: 4,092
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by karne View Post
Hi Mama's...quickie question. Do you have any traditions you have kept or jettisoned since leaving your ws? Wondering esp. as we approach advent. Our family has always done St. Nick. day, so we'll keep up with it. Any thoughts?
I would say whatever speaks to you, keep! Claim it as yours wholeheartedly, disowning any credit to waldorf, which did not create these rituals out of thin air. Waldorf borrows from many cultures.

We do winter solstice, having a pit fire, lanterns punched from tin cans for the kids, and outdoor party, talking about the same elements as spiral of light...

We still have a nature/seasonal table, waldorfy toys, a kindy-looking playroom (except it is pale robin's egg blue-green, not pink) all my old children's books are still read regularly...

Have fun!
beansavi is offline  
#430 of 1208 Old 11-23-2007, 11:52 PM
 
karne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 3,558
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Right on (can't find icon!)-gosh I am so very technically unsavvy! We will do a spiral with the kids at home, and very much looking forward to claiming this for ourselves.
karne is offline  
#431 of 1208 Old 11-24-2007, 08:55 PM - Thread Starter
 
beansavi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Listening to Widespread!
Posts: 4,092
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by karne View Post
Right on (can't find icon!)-gosh I am so very technically unsavvy! We will do a spiral with the kids at home, and very much looking forward to claiming this for ourselves.
Awww.... yay! That post made me smile.
beansavi is offline  
#432 of 1208 Old 11-24-2007, 11:50 PM - Thread Starter
 
beansavi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Listening to Widespread!
Posts: 4,092
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Pickle View Post
Not being "Waldorf material" is not a bad thing. In my experience, our Waldorf teachers had an extremely narrow and rigid idea of what children were "supposed" to be like, and since our son did not fall into one of their neat little categories, they assumed there was a problem with my parenting. He's in public school now, and the teachers at our current school have labelled his unique thinking style and early interest in science, math, and reading as "giftedness," as opposed to "worrisome symptoms of a home that is not Waldorf enough."
Wow, this is such an important post I wanted to quote it again. Your statements are echoed all over the world, I believe. Thanks for putting this out there. My son (the one who was smacked and told he was a bad, bad child) is actually gifted and talented.

I have learned in grad school this fall that gifted students often feel turned off by activities they feel are mundane. My son wanted a desk and to learn the alphabet. But because he turned 7 nine days after the deadline...and because he did his own dance in Eurythmy and would not do every move the teacher did... they kept him in Kindergarten.

You all know the REST of the story from that year.
beansavi is offline  
#433 of 1208 Old 11-25-2007, 01:14 AM - Thread Starter
 
beansavi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Listening to Widespread!
Posts: 4,092
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is anybody around? I really need to talk about something.

I know I should know better to let this bother me. But, as you know, sometimes it just doesn't work out that way.

On top of what is bothering me tonight, it irks me that some people read this thread just to see what we are talking about, not really caring for or giving much respect to what we have gone through. So, that makes me hesitate to post...or requires an extra summoning of courage.

Okay, here goes:

*Gulp*

I have quite literally been written out of my former waldorf school's history. It is as if I did not even exist.

They write articles about the other founding teacher, but I am NEVER mentioned.

I never taught there.

My students never loved me.

I never cherished each and every one of my students.

No parents ever chuckled with me in the hallway.

No one ever got teary eyed from my class's wonderful plays...

Beth never existed.


When I was fired, my husband was staying home with my infant daughter. My 24k a year supported all four of us. And the school fired me in June, July 1st being the beginning of a new fiscal year. The paycheck I received that day was for my monthly salary: $1,700.00. It was the last check I got.

No hard-earned summer vacation at home with my children, instead I had to scramble to make money, all the while crying for my students, my heart, my professional reputation slandered against. Some days I lay on my bed and cried for an hour.

No one even bothered to keep in touch with me. I never received one Christmas card from the families whose children I loved and taught.

Somehow, keeping in touch was considered going against the school.

I don't exist in their history at all... boy they must have a lot to cover up.
beansavi is offline  
#434 of 1208 Old 11-25-2007, 03:08 AM
 
franjapany's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Germany's south
Posts: 611
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi everybody!

I just joined MDC a short while ago, looking for advice bc I'm pregnant and living in Thailand and basically I don't want to get sucked into the hospital machinery... blabla, different story. Anyhow, I was trying to recover a thread with useful tips for first timers (anybody know, where i can find this thread again? I just can't remember the name...) when I conincidentally found this thread.
Now, I haven't read through all the posts, as it's more than two years of postings, I think, but I somehow feel obliged to share my opinion here...

I am an ex-waldorf student. I come from Hannover, Germany and this is also where I went to school. I went the whole thirteen years and I graduated with excellent grades that left me the free choice to study whatever and wherever (in Germany that is) I wanted.
In my opinion, there's two major things you need to know about waldorf schools:
first, w-schools are not the right choice for every kid
second, EVERY w-school is different!
and that's the most important part - it all stands and falls with the people. the teachers, the parents. the whole community basically.
My school was great. I don't want to brag or anything, but I am one of very few people I know, who can say: I had a great time at school and I learned a lot and I still love to visit there. However, I have seen other w-schools and like I said: every school is different and I just happened to be lucky enough to be sent to a good one.
Of course with the prospect of having my own child soon and on the long run having to find a school for him/her I would always and anytime send my kid to my old school, but I would carefully test and examine any other w-school, for sure!
My eldest brother who also went to the same school has actually become a teacher at a different w-school in the south of germany. But he doesn't send his kids there, because he thinks, people are just too spaced out and both parents and teachers aswell as the students there are not what he wants for his kids.
I just wanted to share this, so you get another inside point of view.
Please feel free to contact me with any questions you have.
I just wanted to point out, that there ARE good waldorf schools and there also are ex-students who would happily stand up for their's

franziska

Franziska , DW to )oi , SAHM to Noah 06/2008, Sophia 08/2010, and Junis 11/2012

franjapany is offline  
#435 of 1208 Old 11-25-2007, 04:12 PM
 
lilybugger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Space...the final frontier...
Posts: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello, everybody...I just have to say WOW!! I have literally spent the last WEEK reading all the posts in this thread, and the ENTIRE thread that "birthed" this one! :

Needless to say, I had to keep increasing the size of the font--it's now HUGE!

I feel I have SO much to say, but there is no way for it all to come out, now--I can barely see! But I DO have a few things I NEED to express.

I feel as if I have known you all for years! :

THIS is a genuine, real community. (Not the creepy, secretive, "Community"-with-a-capital-"C" that I felt at our WS...)

I value all the honesty, bravery, and sincerity I have witnessed from all of you.

When we left our school (3 weeks ago, and only after 2 months, thank goodness!!) I rode a wave (and still do...) of sleeplessness, anger, depression, self-doubt, paranoia, self-loathing, guilt, oh, more paranoia, nightmares, and a genuine fear that I was losing my own sanity! And my story isn't that bad!! (I also have spent the last 2 weeks physically ill--I feel like I'm purging! I know, I know--too many smilies! But I've never posted here at all--and it's too fun!

But I digress. I knew I would rant!

Beansavi--



I know how painful it must be to literally be "written out" of the history of your past school. BUT--IMHO--It is a sure sign you have done something right! Those children and parents and peers who you touched will hold you in high regard anyway. And those whose hurtful, dishonest, immoral ways damaged you so badly--they must really feel you a threat to the continuance of those ways--or why write you out??

AND, on a strictly professional plane--do you really want your name, in writing, associated with an organization that has done such wrong??

I could go on, and on...but I will try to save that for another time.

The "lifting of the veil" that has happened, and the healing that has taken place because of this group that you started, again, IMHO has been priceless. This has become a place where families can come to heal from "a brush with the Twilight-Zone", and turn their faces and energies outward, fog-free, and move forward in making the best informed decisions concerning their children. I, for one want to thank you (ALL) for that.

I look forward to sharing my experience, (and my rants, and fears) with some of the most amazing people I have come across in a long time!

Ok, let's see how this whole posting thing works, anyway...please be patient with my lack of forum posting experience!! Off to work on my "Siggie!"



Oh, I found a wonderful, informative site that has a great checklist for prospective WS parents to ask at their first visit. It also has mounds of info and links to help any parent become informed. I really wish I had found it 6 months ago!

www.openwaldorf.com

Again, thank you all so much for all you have done!

(Silly, I so want to use my real name...but the paranoia is still there...boy, what a sign of a healthy educational experience, eh?) Maybe soon.
lilybugger is offline  
#436 of 1208 Old 11-25-2007, 09:21 PM - Thread Starter
 
beansavi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Listening to Widespread!
Posts: 4,092
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilybugger View Post

Hello, everybody...I just have to say WOW!! I have literally spent the last WEEK reading all the posts in this thread, and the ENTIRE thread that "birthed" this one! :

Needless to say, I had to keep increasing the size of the font--it's now HUGE!

I feel I have SO much to say, but there is no way for it all to come out, now--I can barely see! But I DO have a few things I NEED to express.

I feel as if I have known you all for years! :

THIS is a genuine, real community. (Not the creepy, secretive, "Community"-with-a-capital-"C" that I felt at our WS...)

I value all the honesty, bravery, and sincerity I have witnessed from all of you.

When we left our school (3 weeks ago, and only after 2 months, thank goodness!!) I rode a wave (and still do...) of sleeplessness, anger, depression, self-doubt, paranoia, self-loathing, guilt, oh, more paranoia, nightmares, and a genuine fear that I was losing my own sanity! And my story isn't that bad!! (I also have spent the last 2 weeks physically ill--I feel like I'm purging! I know, I know--too many smilies! But I've never posted here at all--and it's too fun!

But I digress. I knew I would rant!

Beansavi--



I know how painful it must be to literally be "written out" of the history of your past school. BUT--IMHO--It is a sure sign you have done something right! Those children and parents and peers who you touched will hold you in high regard anyway. And those whose hurtful, dishonest, immoral ways damaged you so badly--they must really feel you a threat to the continuance of those ways--or why write you out??

AND, on a strictly professional plane--do you really want your name, in writing, associated with an organization that has done such wrong??

I could go on, and on...but I will try to save that for another time.

The "lifting of the veil" that has happened, and the healing that has taken place because of this group that you started, again, IMHO has been priceless. This has become a place where families can come to heal from "a brush with the Twilight-Zone", and turn their faces and energies outward, fog-free, and move forward in making the best informed decisions concerning their children. I, for one want to thank you (ALL) for that.

I look forward to sharing my experience, (and my rants, and fears) with some of the most amazing people I have come across in a long time!

Ok, let's see how this whole posting thing works, anyway...please be patient with my lack of forum posting experience!! Off to work on my "Siggie!"



Oh, I found a wonderful, informative site that has a great checklist for prospective WS parents to ask at their first visit. It also has mounds of info and links to help any parent become informed. I really wish I had found it 6 months ago!

www.openwaldorf.com

Again, thank you all so much for all you have done!

(Silly, I so want to use my real name...but the paranoia is still there...boy, what a sign of a healthy educational experience, eh?) Maybe soon.
Wow Lilybugger.: On behalf of all the mamas and families involved in this thread, I want to say thank you. I am so proud of the mamas that have bravely shared their stories and feelings here and in the older thread.

About what you said in reference to my being "written out of the history" of my former school that I helped to start... thank you. I am speechless. But hearing what you had to say helps a lot. All I can muster right now is my gratitude. So, here it is, from me to you:



Also keep some of those hugs for what you have been through in your old waldorf school. I know those feelings of detoxification that can effect your whole life for a while. I am glad you are free, though. It sounds like you have a good head on your shoulders.
beansavi is offline  
#437 of 1208 Old 11-25-2007, 11:47 PM
 
gerlassie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Maryland
Posts: 450
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi, sorry I can only pop in every other day or so ( even though I'm a SAHM, time is so precious ) anyway, my kinder. son has about 40-45 min of homework a night plus 2 books assigned by his teacher to read daily. He is doing so well and really enjoys it. I just find it a little hard to keep his brother occupied while we're working together. About the upcoming holiday, we enjoy the traditional Santa with a twist ( The Grinch, Peter Billingsley's A Christmas Story...my favorite and other classics like Charlie Brown). Although I do believe in a higher power, I'm not very religious...I'm Native American who was raised a Southern Baptist in Catholic Schools so, you guys figure that one out. I feel that religion is personal but, I'm not opposed to my children learning about religion. I have read that some schools do not celebrate and discourage Santa in all forms. My view...children have such a short time to be kids and believe in something good and magical. I love watching my boys run to the fireplace on Chirstmas eve looking up for Santa. So, how does Waldorf celebrate??? We weren't there long enough to find out any more that on Wednesdays they serve mullet as a snack ( I had to snicker...ok, you guys have fun trying to get my son to eat that ).

gerlassie
gerlassie is offline  
#438 of 1208 Old 11-25-2007, 11:58 PM
 
Super Pickle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 1,684
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Beansavi,
I'm sorry I wasn't around when you posted the other night. I am so, so sorry that they've blotted you out. They can't erase your contributions, though, especially to the hearts of all the children and famlies you touched. It sounds like you were totally dedicated to creating a beautiful school experience for them, and that will never be forgotten.
Super Pickle is offline  
#439 of 1208 Old 11-26-2007, 12:27 AM
 
ravenna206's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Inbetween a rock and a hard place
Posts: 159
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Wow, Bean, I guess you really did make a mark if they didn't even acknowledge you. Know in your heart that you were there and did make a difference.
My dd who is 9, doesn't believe in Santa. We never had Santa deliver presents, her gifts from Santa went to children who needed them. I didn't find out until I was 12, since my brothers were younger that there was no Santa. Do you know how uncool I was for believing in a Santa in 6th grade? So I didn't want my daughter to be angry with us. We do celebrate St. Nick. I don't feel the pressure to go out and buy a totally awesome expensive gift. She's happy with a pomegranate and chocolate coins.
I'm trying to get my daughter to realize that many children do not have holidays like she does. Giving and helping others is very important to me. Our WS was all about giving to them and how much you could donate for the school. Now I don't feel so bogged down with committees, I can concentrate on helping others. Anyone else feel free too?
ravenna206 is offline  
#440 of 1208 Old 11-26-2007, 01:32 AM
 
karne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 3,558
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Bean, it's all about revisionist history, isn' it....your school created the reality they needed, not the reality that actually happened. Makes me so mad that people like you can be treated like this. It doesn't quite jive with the love-in that is usually presented as a part of waldorf. No one can take the true essence of you away, and you made a difference with the children, and represented a strong woman and protective mother!
karne is offline  
#441 of 1208 Old 11-26-2007, 02:08 AM
 
SquibsNCrackers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Packed in Bubble Wrap
Posts: 887
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Beansavi, I'm so sorry. What's that saying? No good deed goes unpunished.

Fwiw, I have heard similar stories from a teacher who quit (and took dc out at the same time) and from families that left WS. It was like they never existed. One friend took her dc out after 4 years with the same teacher and class. Not one family called to see how they were doing. Not one playdate materialized. And there wasn't even a big scandal, conflict or blow-up around this child's withdrawal. This family had volunteered religiously (no pun intended ), the mom had assisted in the classroom, the dad with numerous construction projects ... it's not like they were slackers. Oh, did I mention they didn't have a lot of $$$ to contribute?! :

Anyway, I feel I should avoid sharing stories that are not directly my own. I just wanted to support you in knowing it wasn't YOU, though I know you have all that insight and information already.

There's a chant from Circle Round (I think) we like to sing in the event of a loss or a painful transition. Wish I could sing it with you electronically! It goes:

Everything lost is found again, in a new form, in a new way.
Everything hurt is healed again , in a new time, in a new day.

SquibsNCrackers is offline  
#442 of 1208 Old 11-26-2007, 09:44 PM
 
karne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 3,558
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You know Peatmom, I really needed that chant/circle song you posted above. Our transistion is mostly OK, but some rocky spaces, and tonight I needed that song. Thanks!
karne is offline  
#443 of 1208 Old 11-26-2007, 11:29 PM
 
SquibsNCrackers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Packed in Bubble Wrap
Posts: 887
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You're welcome!
SquibsNCrackers is offline  
#444 of 1208 Old 11-27-2007, 02:31 AM
 
browneyedsol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 1,258
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by karne View Post
Bean, it's all about revisionist history, isn' it....your school created the reality they needed, not the reality that actually happened. Makes me so mad that people like you can be treated like this. It doesn't quite jive with the love-in that is usually presented as a part of waldorf. No one can take the true essence of you away, and you made a difference with the children, and represented a strong woman and protective mother!
:
browneyedsol is offline  
#445 of 1208 Old 11-27-2007, 09:06 PM - Thread Starter
 
beansavi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Listening to Widespread!
Posts: 4,092
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thank you, Mamas. I feel kind of guilty about all of the support I have fished for on this thread...but I am eternally grateful for and blessed by people like you all... you really keep me sane... you stand beside me and say "You are not hallucinating. Yes, I see that,too!" "Revisionist History". I like that term and believe I will be using it in the future.

The chant is BEAUTIFUL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Pickle View Post
Beansavi,
I'm sorry I wasn't around when you posted the other night. I am so, so sorry that they've blotted you out. They can't erase your contributions, though, especially to the hearts of all the children and famlies you touched. It sounds like you were totally dedicated to creating a beautiful school experience for them, and that will never be forgotten.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenna206 View Post
Wow, Bean, I guess you really did make a mark if they didn't even acknowledge you. Know in your heart that you were there and did make a difference.
My dd who is 9, doesn't believe in Santa. We never had Santa deliver presents, her gifts from Santa went to children who needed them. I didn't find out until I was 12, since my brothers were younger that there was no Santa. Do you know how uncool I was for believing in a Santa in 6th grade? So I didn't want my daughter to be angry with us. We do celebrate St. Nick. I don't feel the pressure to go out and buy a totally awesome expensive gift. She's happy with a pomegranate and chocolate coins.
I'm trying to get my daughter to realize that many children do not have holidays like she does. Giving and helping others is very important to me. Our WS was all about giving to them and how much you could donate for the school. Now I don't feel so bogged down with committees, I can concentrate on helping others. Anyone else feel free too?
Quote:
Originally Posted by karne View Post
Bean, it's all about revisionist history, isn' it....your school created the reality they needed, not the reality that actually happened. Makes me so mad that people like you can be treated like this. It doesn't quite jive with the love-in that is usually presented as a part of waldorf. No one can take the true essence of you away, and you made a difference with the children, and represented a strong woman and protective mother!
Quote:
Originally Posted by peatmom View Post
Beansavi, I'm so sorry. What's that saying? No good deed goes unpunished.

Fwiw, I have heard similar stories from a teacher who quit (and took dc out at the same time) and from families that left WS. It was like they never existed. One friend took her dc out after 4 years with the same teacher and class. Not one family called to see how they were doing. Not one playdate materialized. And there wasn't even a big scandal, conflict or blow-up around this child's withdrawal. This family had volunteered religiously (no pun intended ), the mom had assisted in the classroom, the dad with numerous construction projects ... it's not like they were slackers. Oh, did I mention they didn't have a lot of $$$ to contribute?! :

Anyway, I feel I should avoid sharing stories that are not directly my own. I just wanted to support you in knowing it wasn't YOU, though I know you have all that insight and information already.

There's a chant from Circle Round (I think) we like to sing in the event of a loss or a painful transition. Wish I could sing it with you electronically! It goes:

Everything lost is found again, in a new form, in a new way.
Everything hurt is healed again , in a new time, in a new day.


Quote:
Originally Posted by browneyedsol View Post
:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerlassie View Post
Hi, sorry I can only pop in every other day or so ( even though I'm a SAHM, time is so precious ) anyway, my kinder. son has about 40-45 min of homework a night plus 2 books assigned by his teacher to read daily. He is doing so well and really enjoys it. I just find it a little hard to keep his brother occupied while we're working together. About the upcoming holiday, we enjoy the traditional Santa with a twist ( The Grinch, Peter Billingsley's A Christmas Story...my favorite and other classics like Charlie Brown). Although I do believe in a higher power, I'm not very religious...I'm Native American who was raised a Southern Baptist in Catholic Schools so, you guys figure that one out. I feel that religion is personal but, I'm not opposed to my children learning about religion. I have read that some schools do not celebrate and discourage Santa in all forms. My view...children have such a short time to be kids and believe in something good and magical. I love watching my boys run to the fireplace on Chirstmas eve looking up for Santa. So, how does Waldorf celebrate??? We weren't there long enough to find out any more that on Wednesdays they serve mullet as a snack ( I had to snicker...ok, you guys have fun trying to get my son to eat that ).

gerlassie
beansavi is offline  
#446 of 1208 Old 11-28-2007, 12:01 PM
 
karne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 3,558
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You should definitely not feel guilty Bean....you put this thread together with alot of your own pain behind it, and I know that many, many are blessed by it through support and genuine understanding. Even lurkers! We bless and are blessed.
karne is offline  
#447 of 1208 Old 11-28-2007, 04:11 PM - Thread Starter
 
beansavi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Listening to Widespread!
Posts: 4,092
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by karne View Post
We bless and are blessed.
:
beansavi is offline  
#448 of 1208 Old 11-28-2007, 08:26 PM
 
karne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 3,558
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi, I also posted in the ED. forum, and hoping I don't get flamed, but I am putting out there my respect for the work of my DD's reading teacher (not to mention actually all of her teachers). But it's on my mind-the reading bit,-and I am so happy with the progress being made!
karne is offline  
#449 of 1208 Old 11-28-2007, 09:19 PM
 
ravenna206's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Inbetween a rock and a hard place
Posts: 159
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We finally had our parent teacher conference and it went excellent. My dd is doing so well, that they are taking her off her 504 plan. I'm thrilled and happy, so is her teacher. She was really reserved in the beginning and is now falling into the class routine great. My dh and I are jumping over the moon thrilled.
Bean, if W is good at one thing it's controlling how you feel. You shouldn't be ashamed or guilty. Be happy, you are free from the constraints of the philosophy.
ravenna206 is offline  
#450 of 1208 Old 11-28-2007, 10:42 PM
 
karne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 3,558
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Congratulations ravenna! I think I share your feelings, which prompted my earlier post. Isn't it amazing what these children can do? I am vicariously proud of your daughter!
karne is offline  
Reply


User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Online Users: 9,585

16 members and 9,569 guests
angelacrowd2017 , babydoulajo , Deborah , elleny , iceface , IsaFrench , Katherine73 , Lucee , manyhatsmom , mirrormus4 , moominmamma , philomom , thefragile7393 , torileetorilee , zebra15
Most users ever online was 449,755, 06-25-2014 at 12:21 PM.