2Likes

#61 of 1201 Old 06-08-2007, 10:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeB4U View Post
Hello beth, That is just soooo funny
As in all good tales you can imagine yourself being one of the figures. That happens when a story becomes a beautifull romance like the Parcival-saga; you can imagine how it feels to be one of the characters. The Cundry character is the most flexible and colourfull figure in this romance. Like to see you in the same way, Beth!! Love Elisabeth
I will never shred those papers. Don't you worry! Though I do understand the feng shui of it all as Browneyed says. I think I will put them in my parents' safe. My lawyer also has copies that he is keeping until Sam is 18. Mmmmmmm Hmmm. That's RIGHT!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapioca View Post
Hi.

Long time lurker, first time poster :

Thanks for being so open about the problems with Waldorf. Like another poster, I have noticed that Waldorf seems to have created far stronger 'anti' feelings than other philosophies and that made me very suspicious. Up until that point I had considered it for my child but not anymore. I have directed friends to this thread over the past 2 years who were considering Waldorf for their children and 2 of them have been turned off completely after reading it. Another loves her local school and doesn't feel that it has the same issues as some of yours, but at least she knows what to be aware of now.

And I find it very disturbing that other parents should be privy to personal financial info and have that kind of power and control over other families. VERY disturbing.

Hi Tapioca. Thanks for posting, and I am always glad when others can have th info. I wish I had going in to Waldorf. So thanks for directing your friends here.

And welcome to you, too!

Beth
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 1201 Old 06-08-2007, 10:05 PM - Thread Starter

Just thought I'd post a little jokie joke.

Remember these?

Fractured Fairy Tales
http://youtube.com/watch?v=HZ0XCz0Wi...elated&search=
http://youtube.com/watch?v=vghGYDLhNd4

I adore The Grimms tales. We retell them at home all the time. I even liked the Book "The Wisdom of Fairy Tales" by Rudolf Meyer, once upon a time...
#63 of 1201 Old 06-09-2007, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by May May View Post

And I feel ok about the changing context between us, knowing that I'll always love them and that we are both living our truths. I can be honest and live in alignment with my integrity ~ loving and understanding someone who's ways may not be mine while not participating in their actions that are untrue for me. That feels peaceful to me and I am being, therefore, the change I wish to see.
Unfortunately for us, I am comfortable with her choices, she seems to be more and more judgemental about mine. My family and I float the line of crunchy and mainstream. We are too crunchy for most... not enough for others. If it were that simple, if we were free to participate in each others lives without judgement or the continual pushing of her ideals and attitudes it would be good. As it is now, I find myself dreading any interaction with her. I know it will leave me feeling as if I am some how failing my children. Where is my friend??? The one who happily fed the kiddos ice cream and strawberries one night for dinner.

Now all I feel is judgement and disapproval from my dearest friend.... and uncomfortable hugs from my oldest friend. (her husband)

Fine, live your essence and true life... but don't look down your nose at us as we live ours. It is possible to co exist..... I am struggling to keep the friendship alive. (and it hurts more than you would ever know)
#64 of 1201 Old 06-09-2007, 01:06 AM

I've sent my dd to Waldorf for 4 years and I didn't do my studying of Steiner to understand everything. I find that the teachers like to twist things around to fit their needs when things don't work out. We applied for financial aid for a few years and felt that we were put under a microscope and decide to not do it this year. That's why credit card were invented, right? We are going onto our 4th teacher! I find it very frustrating that at our school at least, it's a priviledge to (or they make it seem like that) to send our child there. Then when there are problems, they let unqualified people teach a class. Our last teacher had no teaching experience except for volunteer work done at the school. She was in the process of getting her training when she decided to move and get a job at another Waldorf school far, far away. So does the school post this job? NO, they take the next semi-qualified applicant and offer them the job. Well, it didn't go well over well with the parents. So they started interviewing people again but I'm just not sure I can trust them to make the correct decision. The teachers claim that there just aren't enough teachers out there for our school to attract. So I'm supposed to pay full tuition for half a Waldorf education! I was just wondering how other children have adjusted to the changing of schools? I see great things happening in other classes but our class just has so many other issues too. We have a bullying problem that has never been properly addressed and my dd is low on the totem pole. Plus she has a hearing/learning problem that I feel hasn't been properly addressed because the last teacher wasn't qualified. She is doing great in reading even though through testing they told us she would be behind. It's math where she's having problems.
#65 of 1201 Old 06-09-2007, 01:15 AM

Beansavi...

I am so very sorry for the angst they have put you through. Is your son okay? Are you okay?
Hugs and sweet kisses on the forehead.
Amy...AKA the boobybunny
#66 of 1201 Old 06-09-2007, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boobybunny View Post
Unfortunately for us, I am comfortable with her choices, she seems to be more and more judgemental about mine. My family and I float the line of crunchy and mainstream. We are too crunchy for most... not enough for others. If it were that simple, if we were free to participate in each others lives without judgement or the continual pushing of her ideals and attitudes it would be good. As it is now, I find myself dreading any interaction with her. I know it will leave me feeling as if I am some how failing my children. Where is my friend??? The one who happily fed the kiddos ice cream and strawberries one night for dinner.

Now all I feel is judgement and disapproval from my dearest friend.... and uncomfortable hugs from my oldest friend. (her husband)

Fine, live your essence and true life... but don't look down your nose at us as we live ours. It is possible to co exist..... I am struggling to keep the friendship alive. (and it hurts more than you would ever know)

Hello Boobybunnie,
Your words express my situation as well... I do recognize your feelings about your friend. My friend used to be a cheerfull and bright woman. We lived inside a Camphill-community together. Both inspired by the Waldorf-approach but skeptic about many Steiner-ideas and the anthro-lifestyle. Now she is so stuck in the 'movement' that she developed a judgemental and mothering tone towards my situation. How I plan my holidays, how I clean my house, what I eat, how to interact with my son, what kind of job I should have, the list goes on and on, I just couldn't be in her space anymore. She became really patronizing, in my grief I allways wonder if she became that way because of anthroposophy. That this pseudo-philosophy can really twist ones mind.....and drive you nuts.
Its great that you want to keep the friendship going. It seems to me that your friend is walking on her toes just to be accepted in this Waldorf-community so she can't bear the thought that people are skeptical towards anthro-ideas.
I can imagine how you feel, bye Elisabeth
#67 of 1201 Old 06-09-2007, 08:02 PM

Bean: Thank you for taking the time to answer my question. I didn't want my question to come off sounding wrong... I was just wondering.

H

mama to 6 amazing children joy.gif married to my main man for 21 years love.gif and finally home FULL time dishes.gifhang.gifknit.gif

#68 of 1201 Old 06-09-2007, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenna206 View Post
I've sent my dd to Waldorf for 4 years and I didn't do my studying of Steiner to understand everything. I find that the teachers like to twist things around to fit their needs when things don't work out. We applied for financial aid for a few years and felt that we were put under a microscope and decide to not do it this year. That's why credit card were invented, right? We are going onto our 4th teacher! I find it very frustrating that at our school at least, it's a priviledge to (or they make it seem like that) to send our child there. Then when there are problems, they let unqualified people teach a class. Our last teacher had no teaching experience except for volunteer work done at the school. She was in the process of getting her training when she decided to move and get a job at another Waldorf school far, far away. So does the school post this job? NO, they take the next semi-qualified applicant and offer them the job. Well, it didn't go well over well with the parents. So they started interviewing people again but I'm just not sure I can trust them to make the correct decision. The teachers claim that there just aren't enough teachers out there for our school to attract. So I'm supposed to pay full tuition for half a Waldorf education! I was just wondering how other children have adjusted to the changing of schools?

Hello Ravena,
In making no bones about having no experience of Waldorf- my involvement was in Special Needs- I tend to read this thread as Waldorf is a principal outreach of Anthroposophy.
In Anthro Special Needs Centres, Camphill or independent (= "Waldorf inspired" schools?) there exists an absolute for short term staff. These will be usually Gap Year youngsters or one of the seemingly endless stream of drifters who appear to drift around the world never puting down any roots.
It does of course raise the qustion of just how much training and experience can be amassed in a year or less?
My conviction is that most Anthro centres exist mostly to sustain Anthroposophists in an Anthro setting, with, regretfully, the client group largely being griste to the mill.
A contentious view I know, but its hardly a knee jerk reaction: my involvement goes back twelve years now.

I see great things happening in other classes but our class just has so many other issues too. We have a bullying problem that has never been properly addressed and my dd is low on the totem pole. Plus she has a hearing/learning problem that I feel hasn't been properly addressed because the last teacher wasn't qualified.

I'd be interested to hear more of the school's on this if you feel inclined to share. Has there been any suggestion that your daughter's problems have karmic roots?

She is doing great in reading even though through testing they told us she would be behind.

Delighted to know that.

It's math where she's having problems.Personally I daren't say anything here. I never really progressed much beyond a nodding acquaintance with algebra

Good wishes,
Max
(not in USA)
#69 of 1201 Old 06-09-2007, 08:15 PM

I hope folk can figure out the wheat from the chaffe of my previous post. I' close to figuring out just how this damn thing works.
Max
#70 of 1201 Old 06-09-2007, 10:50 PM

I think I would feel more comfortable if they told me that she had a karmic score that she was paying back. They've always denied that their was a problem. Even though 80-85% of the class went to the proper people, individually and said there is a big problem. This year it was so bad that children were sick from fear of being bullied and didn't want to go to school. I didn't know this until a special meeting was called to announce the departure of the teacher. Then all the parents told the college that they wanted a teacher who could deal with the problems that keep reoccuring. It was also pointed out that many parents had complained but everyone was told that they were the only family in the class with the problem. I know that the children in the class were going through the 9 year change but I think this was magnified because of the adults denying it. Also the child who was the bully, was given bare minimum punishments because this child was a teacher's child. It is hard to feel that the children are in safe environment because the teachers deny anything is occuring. Instead we were told that because we didn't support the teacher this is why the teacher is leaving. Well that's fine if they want to point the finger but they still deny that anything happened. I know we all make mistakes but nothing has ever been explained in a spiritual/anthroposophical way. It's always deny there's a problem and if you get caught denying it, then say it's the parents fault. I know I'm far from perfect but I guess I look up to these teachers. When little ole me can see something is amiss it saddens me that something could have been done early to head off this problem. I think considering my daughter's position with the bully she did excellant this year. We also read tons of stories at home to help her, took her to counseling, and got ahold of tapes from a Waldorf counselour?/teacher? that talks about bullying in a child's life. Now the question is will we get an experienced teacher, who can help these children? I also might get her retested to see if her hearing has changed any. We've put her on a special diet that is supposed help.
#71 of 1201 Old 06-09-2007, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beansavi View Post
You are determined to call me Bensavi, aren't you?
No, just ditzy.
#72 of 1201 Old 06-09-2007, 11:04 PM

Quote:
I've sent my dd to Waldorf for 4 years and I didn't do my studying of Steiner to understand everything. I find that the teachers like to twist things around to fit their needs when things don't work out. We applied for financial aid for a few years and felt that we were put under a microscope and decide to not do it this year. That's why credit card were invented, right? We are going onto our 4th teacher! I find it very frustrating that at our school at least, it's a priviledge to (or they make it seem like that) to send our child there. Then when there are problems, they let unqualified people teach a class. Our last teacher had no teaching experience except for volunteer work done at the school. She was in the process of getting her training when she decided to move and get a job at another Waldorf school far, far away. So does the school post this job? NO, they take the next semi-qualified applicant and offer them the job. Well, it didn't go well over well with the parents. So they started interviewing people again but I'm just not sure I can trust them to make the correct decision. The teachers claim that there just aren't enough teachers out there for our school to attract. So I'm supposed to pay full tuition for half a Waldorf education! I was just wondering how other children have adjusted to the changing of schools? I see great things happening in other classes but our class just has so many other issues too. We have a bullying problem that has never been properly addressed and my dd is low on the totem pole. Plus she has a hearing/learning problem that I feel hasn't been properly addressed because the last teacher wasn't qualified. She is doing great in reading even though through testing they told us she would be behind. It's math where she's having problems.
Lots of flags here, mama! Are you moving on? IMHO they have much better services to address your daughters needs in a public school. They do where I live (don't want to be too presumptuous). I have seen variations of your story in real life and heard stories similar for almost a decade now. It sounds like you've put in good faith and patience. Leaving can be very difficult, especially (for many) because of the "community" aspect and friendships. I've found that once you truly detach and move forward, you find easy low maintenence friendships quickly. You might also feel what many have described after leaving as "an enormous weight lifting off". Some report experiencing a welcome sense of "normalcy" again.

Best to you.
#73 of 1201 Old 06-09-2007, 11:18 PM

I don't understand what you are saying. Enki becomes the new Waldorf?? Can you please explain is Enki in fact a Steiner-bases school?? Bye Elisabeth[/QUOTE]

Hi there. No, Enki is not Steiner based, but is inspired by Waldorf education, Montessori Education, International Schools, and Shambala practice. I simply feel that the curriculum better meets the needs of what most parents seek when choosing Waldorf. If Enki were more widely available and parents were able to choose between the two, I believe Enki would be more appealing to most families because it is not an anthroposophical initiative or connected to one, is truly multi-cultural, focuses more on skill development, and is Holistic (striving for wholeness, connectedness, and being). I'm no expert on Enki. This is my understanding. I have, however, done my homework. FFI www.enkieducation.org
#74 of 1201 Old 06-10-2007, 01:38 AM

Hi Ravenna,
Ouch your story is painful to read! I can sympathize so much and so much sounds familiar!
If I were you I would take your child out NOW!
Believe me there are so many other options.
I know former Waldorf parents who home school.
Others go to Public school. With All of them their children are now better off.
Our son (9) is now thrivng in a public Catholic school after a horrible almost 4 years at Waldorf. First he was held back a year at Waldorf becasue he was considered too far behind. Then we were told he would have to go to a special needs school.Honestly Waldorf was making him that way! And there was lots of bullying too!
Don't be afraid to pull your child out. There are really better things out there!
Good Luck!

Quote:
#75 of 1201 Old 06-10-2007, 07:22 PM

Wow beansavi, I read what you wrote 3 times to make sure I fully understood it and still I can't believe that the teachers turned on you, discredited all that happened and made you apoligize!!! Can you give any advice to a parent who is trying to fight the college to do the right thing? I've gone to the Board with my concerns about the hiring process for the new teacher. I've also asked that there be a parent involved with the hiring process. The meeting didn't go that great but we were listened to. I haven't decided to leave yet because I asked a friend to apply and if she was hired I would feel bad about pulling my dc. I figure she has a 33% of getting the job. She would be a great teacher and would not stand for any of this bullying or denial that it's not happening. Also she is not like the fuddyduddies who run the school and will not be their pawn.
Can anyone tell if they've sent their children to the Toronto Waldorf school or know anything about the school? I was wondering if they have the same issues as other schools? I have heard that they are run differently because they realized that things were not working out and decided to restructure.
Thanks to all of you have have shared here. I'm glad that I'm not alone in feeling this way. Yet it saddens me that things like I've read have happened.
#76 of 1201 Old 06-10-2007, 09:28 PM - Thread Starter

BB I totally get what you are saying. It can be so painful. We try and live our lives authentically, yey someone is there actively limiting us or judging us... and vibes are truly palpable, in my opinion. Even if we are able to deflect them, we are still participating in deflecting them, and this requires our energy.

The whole "losing your original friends because they don't get it or are a negative influence" piece to Waldorf is what feels cultish to me.

Quote:

#77 of 1201 Old 06-10-2007, 09:30 PM - Thread Starter

Wow. That. sounds. familiar! I have heard this more times than I can count. Thank you for sharing this.
~Bean

Quote:
#78 of 1201 Old 06-10-2007, 09:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Beansavi...

I am so very sorry for the angst they have put you through. Is your son okay? Are you okay?
Hugs and sweet kisses on the forehead.
Amy...AKA the boobybunny
You are so sweet. Thank you for saying that.

We are on the road to recovery... but we have some more to work through. We find ourselves still shy about being hurt the way we were in Waldorf.

This thread and the old one, is a part of our recovery and I am so grateful. I also want to paste a copy of my writing here, about some new physical abuse (from his teacher in Waldorf) my son just revealed to me, in the near future. Tomorrow or Tuesday.

Hugs,
Bean
#79 of 1201 Old 06-10-2007, 09:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaofthree View Post
Bean: Thank you for taking the time to answer my question. I didn't want my question to come off sounding wrong... I was just wondering.

H
It did not sound "wrong" at all. I appreciate you asking it.
#80 of 1201 Old 06-10-2007, 09:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHInstC View Post
I hope folk can figure out the wheat from the chaffe of my previous post. I' close to figuring out just how this damn thing works.
Max
I eventually figured it out, Max. Thanks so much for sharing here.

~Bean
#81 of 1201 Old 06-10-2007, 09:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Wow beansavi, I read what you wrote 3 times to make sure I fully understood it and still I can't believe that the teachers turned on you, discredited all that happened and made you apoligize!!! Can you give any advice to a parent who is trying to fight the college to do the right thing? I've gone to the Board with my concerns about the hiring process for the new teacher. I've also asked that there be a parent involved with the hiring process. The meeting didn't go that great but we were listened to. I haven't decided to leave yet because I asked a friend to apply and if she was hired I would feel bad about pulling my dc. I figure she has a 33% of getting the job. She would be a great teacher and would not stand for any of this bullying or denial that it's not happening. Also she is not like the fuddyduddies who run the school and will not be their pawn.
Can anyone tell if they've sent their children to the Toronto Waldorf school or know anything about the school? I was wondering if they have the same issues as other schools? I have heard that they are run differently because they realized that things were not working out and decided to restructure.
Thanks to all of you have have shared here. I'm glad that I'm not alone in feeling this way. Yet it saddens me that things like I've read have happened.
I so want to answer this thoroughly. At the moment I am at my mom's since my modum got fried during an electrical storm last night! My kids have started jumping between her couches...arg!

I will respond tomorrow from the library around 4:00 pm.

Hugs, and hang in there.

Sincerely,
Beth
#82 of 1201 Old 06-10-2007, 10:15 PM

Take your time beansavi, I've been catching up on the other discussion thread you linked up. I still have 36 pages to go! What I've read so far is very eye opening!
#83 of 1201 Old 06-13-2007, 12:28 PM

Hello Max, have you figured out yet how it works, i don't mean to be patronizing,
but you being the only male person on this board ahum, ahum,: : : . Man are better with computers then women????

If I read your posts well I see you referr to your Camphill-experience. Please tell me more about that, tell me how it is to say goodbye to people you love and then stand on your own...(again) because you just don't applaude Steiner's ideas anymore. Like to hear from you Max bye, Elisabeth
#84 of 1201 Old 06-13-2007, 05:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Take your time beansavi, I've been catching up on the other discussion thread you linked up. I still have 36 pages to go! What I've read so far is very eye opening!
I am glad you are still able to read it. That is comforting to me. A lot of heart and soul went into the "A Healthy, Safe Haven: Waldorf Questioners/Concerns Thread", and many people shared very personal stories and concerns there.

If anyone is interested and has not read it, it can be located in the Waldorf sub-forum.
#85 of 1201 Old 06-13-2007, 05:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Hello Max, have you figured out yet how it works, i don't mean to be patronizing,
but you being the only male person on this board ahum, ahum,: : : . Man are better with computers then women????

If I read your posts well I see you referr to your Camphill-experience. Please tell me more about that, tell me how it is to say goodbye to people you love and then stand on your own...(again) because you just don't applaude Steiner's ideas anymore. Like to hear from you Max bye, Elisabeth
MAX,

I am curious to hear your story, too. I would imagine living in a Camphill Community, day in and day out, would be like Waldorf time a thousand! I mean, talk about feeling vulnerable and controlled, as I did, I cannot imagine if I ate, slept, worked, prayed, etc. with the people with whom I was invovled at the Waldorf school!

I at least got to go home and freak out, cry, go for a walk in my neighborhood, talk with my husband... whew.

I think it might also be good for you, Max, to explain to us what Camphill is. I know, vaguely, but I could use more info on that.

TIA (thanks in advance),

~Bean
#86 of 1201 Old 06-13-2007, 08:03 PM

Hi Beansavi, yes I finished reading, it took until yesterday and did a lot of thinking about all things I've read. Then I did some talking to a parent who tried to blow the whistle on all that was going on. Then I did more thinking about what orginally attracted us to Waldorf. What I see now and what they claim are 2 different things. So we are leaving. I'm not thrilled to be sending her to public school because I never liked school. But she may enjoy it. She likes a challenge and she needs to feel safe. Also it bothers me that one of her teacher's probably punished her for my actions. She was so upset that she walked out and sat in the school's lobby for 5 minutes. I wish she would have insisted that they call me. But she loves being out of the house, so she went back with her friends and the teacher who was subbing that day. Also why did I get a call about the incident? That really pisses me off that there was obviously something wrong and they didn't do anything. Instead they play games with my child and still do not admit there was any problem.
#87 of 1201 Old 06-14-2007, 08:26 AM

I just wanted to chime in here.

We are in our 4th year of Waldorf and are really blessed to be able to say we have had great experiences and my children and family are thriving in our particular community.

BUT.... I do see so many of the issues you all have pointed out. I am still trying to figure out how the school actually runs because most of what I know makes little sense! We have seen many of our close friends have to leave the school and many times it seems the schools are cutting off their nose to spite their face!

I don't want to get into much detail in this thread, but I just wanted to let you all know that there are some of us who love Waldorf and choose to stay but also give support for those that are wrongly treated and would love to be a part of changing it!!

Hugs and support out to you all!!!
#88 of 1201 Old 06-14-2007, 11:11 AM

At our school there is the college (mostly teachers who started the school), then the board (made up of teachers, parents, and friends of the school), then there's supposed to be a body of parents to keep everything in check. It's called the 3 fold system, I think of it as a pyramid. Unfortunately we do not have a parent support system to keep everything in check. Because of this the founding teachers make decisions for their benefit. So our budget never balances every year. I'm not talking small change either, we are talking hundreds of thousands of dollars. They think that the parents will just give more to the school to make up for the missing money. I think also there ends up being a conflict of where the school is going. Here the teacher's want a camphill environment so they can retire and the school will support them. While the parents want more grades added on and the building fixed up. So money is the biggest issue here and how it's being spent.
#89 of 1201 Old 06-14-2007, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by treefolk View Post

I don't want to get into much detail in this thread, but I just wanted to let you all know that there are some of us who love Waldorf and choose to stay but also give support for those that are wrongly treated and would love to be a part of changing it!!

Hugs and support out to you all!!!
Very cool.

Thank you for respectfully allowing us to have ourlittle support space here.

It is much needed!
#90 of 1201 Old 06-14-2007, 08:06 PM

Quote:

Hello Elisabeth,
First of all, I have to say that I believe women are much better by far than men at using computers. This is simply because women cheat by typing with TWO fingers, maybe more!

More seriously, to you and Bean, I am quite happy to bash out some kind of one finger symphony about Camphill, but I have to say in advance that I think the greates difference between Camphill and Waldorf is as follows:
Waldorf education frequently and repeatedly asserts that Anthroposophy "isn't in the classroom". I have never to date encountered any Camphill making such a claim.
As Bean pointed out, Camphill means (largely) living in, so a 24/7 connection can't be avoided. So I will try to get something posted over the weekend, but it will necessarily involve wider aspects of Anthroposophy than some list members will be comfortable with.
No aggression intended here, but I thought it best to mention this dimension of my experience before posting anything.
I also promise not to be offended should anyone here simply choose to pass over anyhting I post.
Pax vobiscum
Max

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page