Need ideas for a Women's Group I am part of! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 09-12-2007, 06:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am part a Women's Group that has been meeting once a week, since the begining of the year. We get together to talk about our goals and things we would like to attract to our lives. Our first meeting we watched "the Secret" and we also met once to work on Treasure Maps, but mostly we talk things out.
We are in need of "something" to do....something to recharge what we are doing and have already done.

Any ideas out there for a project we could work on together? It could be anything...something to get the creative juices running...personal, spiritualy. We are open to ideas.

So if anyone out there has been part of a group or just has ideas for one....please let me know. We are a small group. Usually about 4 people.

Thank you!

Kathleen

Crazed life-learning Mom to DS 1 Augustus (02/00) and DS 2 Ben (08/05). Love my DH Tony . Full house 5 11 found our "purrfect". Lovin' life!!!!
#2 of 16 Old 09-13-2007, 09:49 AM

I used to be a part of a group like this. Everyone ended up joining MOPS, so the group pretty much dissolved. I really miss it.

Our "leader" used to schedule things for us to do, but the group really bloomed when she ran out of ideas, and we just sat and talked for the meeting (It was an hour and a half, while the dads had the kids in the playgroup).

We shared our parenting issues/stresses, marriage stresses and achievements, some extended family issues. We supported each other with ideas to improve the situations. After a while, we scheduled each mom to take a month to plan the activity, and location where it would be hosted. One mom did a "slumber party" and we went to her house for dinner, painted nails, drank wine. Another had a dessert party at her house: we all brought our favorite dessert and a copy of the recipe for everyone.

You may be looking for something more scheduled and focused than this though. For me, as a sahm, the outlet just to be with other adults and bond with them was awesome.
#3 of 16 Old 09-13-2007, 10:46 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you! We also love to just talk and give each other support! The slumber party idea sounds fun.
We started the group with the law of attraction in mind, not strictly, but that was the base. We have become very close...it is great.
We all have very busy lives....I would love to add a book reading to the group, but not sure anyone would be interested.
More ideas would be welcome! We meet Sunday mornings at 7:00am for two hours... this time is so that no other family plans can really get "in the way".

Kathleen

Crazed life-learning Mom to DS 1 Augustus (02/00) and DS 2 Ben (08/05). Love my DH Tony . Full house 5 11 found our "purrfect". Lovin' life!!!!
#4 of 16 Old 09-13-2007, 11:35 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
This week is the virgo new moon. If you want to get yoru friends ONTIME then you should gather and discuss how everyone can fix issues in their life by WORKING THEIR SCHEDULE . Which mean, seriously looking at what they need to do... for example if someone wants to lose weight ---you don't just write down, lose 40 pounds and be done with it. you have to get really specific. "Eat 1200 calories today" and then the person has to write down their food that they eat.... 1 egg equals 100 calories. same with any other big project... break it down.... bit by bit. instead of "go to europe next spring.." write down... "Call Amex and figure out my points".

I liken this period to... Inch by inch is a cinch, yards are hard.

also, inputting money into Quicken. Great thing to do now.
Call Trainer, set up appointment for SAturday morning.

this is the period of the year when we really realize if we don't get a clerr define schedule and routine for things that are important to us, then it won't get done.

last year I started a diet program During Virgo and now I'm 43 pounds lighter. That is the power of this time of year.

for more info..check out my article.

http://margaretwendt.com:80/articles...20Tracy%20Cook

help yoru friends, get ON TIME!

Check out New Moon on my Astrology Site

http://tracyastrosalon.blogspot.com/

#5 of 16 Old 09-13-2007, 05:07 PM - Thread Starter

Tracy-
This is exactly what kind of thing I was looking for. I was hoping you would post something for me!
Thank you!
Kathleen

#6 of 16 Old 09-18-2007, 10:52 AM

I wish there was a group near me like this! I could use some female interaction. Could you take a "field trip"? Like, a nature walk, apple picking, a trip to a butterfly sanctuary... something that is good for the soul? Or have a yoga or meditation instructor come in and do a class? At my old job we had a lady from a local yoga studio come in and do a 90- minute session for $70 for as many people as we had. If you have 10 people that is not much money per person. I also like the idea of a slumber party.

I am jealous!

Kerri, mom to Doran  angel2.gif  (born still 7/6/05 at 33 weeks), Mairaed (11/16/07),  angel1.gif 11/15/08 at 10 weeks,  Kieran (11/2/09).   angel1.gif 1/11/11 at 15 weeks
#7 of 16 Old 09-20-2007, 10:11 PM

Have you ever used a talking stick? When our women's group meets, we start out the meeting by going around the room with a talking stick. Sometimes we have a theme we talk about (like this weekend, since its the solstice, we are going to talk about what we want to change in ourselves this season). Its just a stick that signifies whoever is holding the stick has "the floor" and no one can interrupt or argue with that person. The stick is handed to the next person, until everyone is done saying what they have to say. It is especially good when you are trying to get to the heart of a disagreement, but should not be used only in that context. Somehow, when the talking stick gets to me, I end up saying something completely different than what i've been "practicing" in my head - holding the stick just makes me really truthful!
You can make talking sticks by gathering sticks and decorating them with feathers, beads, ribbon, really anything. And, it doesn't have to be a stick, it can be a bowl, rock, leaf, anything from nature really.
Might be a fun activity.
#8 of 16 Old 09-20-2007, 10:15 PM

I had another idea, sometimes we do authentic movement, which may stretch some people out of their comfort zone, but it is really worth it. Go to www.authenticmovement.org. to read about it.
Good luck!
#9 of 16 Old 09-25-2007, 12:25 PM

I also go to a monthly women's group we call the Red Tent. We take turns facilitating. I have several ideas lurking of rm y group, so I will share.

Talk about "The Four Agreements" by don Miguel Ruiz
(this could be a series of them, as it is in depth and drives you to intense self-examination)

Read "Everyday Sacred" by Sue Bender and discuss it

Make Tibetan prayer flags (Barnes and Noble sells a kit for this, or you can create your own...or special order the product through an indy bookstore)

Do Soul Collage http://www.soulcollage.com/cards/personalreading.php

Do a guided meditation

Buy small journals and on separate pages, write:
physical self
psychological self
emotional self
(and any others that you may think of)
Then, write under each heading, write what each aspectneeds in order to be "healthy". Make a goal until the next time to work on and strive for.

There are a few ideas. Hope it helps, though I know it is incredibly late for your request!
#10 of 16 Old 09-25-2007, 04:07 PM

There's a book called WRITING MOTHERHOOD which has some fun writing/creativity exercises you could pull from.
#11 of 16 Old 09-26-2007, 06:10 PM

How about looking into some mom-centered activism, like on Mothers Movement Online or momsrising.org ?
#12 of 16 Old 03-31-2014, 02:21 PM

Do you know about vision boards?  Whatever you are visioning for the year, your life, your career, or anything.  All the women get together will need room..  Magazines are used to find pictures of what your vision is.  Scrapbooking materials can be used or you can make it simple.  Once your board is made, you can take time out once a week or once a month to tell where you are in your vision.

#13 of 16 Old 04-03-2014, 02:40 AM

I was once in a women's group and one meeting someone brought a book about massage & we all learned & practiced giving foot massages to each other.

#14 of 16 Old 04-18-2014, 08:26 AM

congratulations. I want to say thank you because I am trying to form a women's group at the organization that I'm affiliated with. I came on here to finds ideas for our group which hasn't lifted off the ground yet. you gave me some ideas of what can be a starting point. I will continue to look and seek for more. you are doing a great job if you have it started. 4 is better than none.
#15 of 16 Old 04-18-2014, 08:50 AM

congratulations. I want to say thank you because I am trying to form a women's group at the organization that I'm affiliated with. I came on here to finds ideas for our group which hasn't lifted off the ground yet. you gave me some ideas of what can be a starting point. I will continue to look and seek for more. you are doing a great job if you have it started. 4 is better than none.
#16 of 16 Old 04-18-2014, 08:50 AM

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page