Really bad teeth - would you get dentures at a young age? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 63 Old 11-21-2007, 11:28 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Implants are a process - and it can involve trying to regenerate bone growth in the jaw so that the post has a stable "base" so to speak. (I used to work for a dental office that did all sorts of specialty work.) If there is sufficient bone in which to place the post, I think the post has to sit about two weeks before they can put the implant on it. But implanting the post is the hardest part of the procedure.

I would think that implants would be covered as part of reconstructive surgery, only because having a correct "bite" is important for your head/neck/spinal alignment. If any part of your jaw is involved in the reconstruction (and it sounds like it definitely is) then I would push for implants. But dentures might be cheaper and quicker to get - and you'll find that out at your consultation.

Best of luck to you, KDM - I think you'll be very happy with the results of either dentures or implants. And I've been following your recent events, and let me say that you are blessed with both strength and grace, and I wish you the best in your future path to a wonderful smile! You will have PLENTY to smile about in the future. and
#62 of 63 Old 11-21-2007, 01:32 PM

My dh has a genetic condition that effects the enamel in his teeth. We're on state insurance, and they won't pay for him to get dentures until literally every single one of his teeth have fallen out, or he's hospitalized because of an infection. The most they'll pay for is to have his teeth taken out one by one.. whenever they cause debilitating pain. : We've been waiting for years for them to approve dentures. He's 33.

It would improve his self esteem so much. The poor guy never smiles at all anymore and when he laughs he automatically puts his hand over his mouth in a little "tee hee" sorta way because he's ashamed. The kids learned really fast that it made daddy sad to talk about his teeth, and that he wasn't to be used as an "example" of why you should always brush. (because really it has nothing to do with hygiene)

And now, after 6 pregnancies and nursing 4.5 years.. my teeth are starting to rot in my own head. I go to the dental clinic to hopefully get another abscessed and broken tooth pulled next week, I'm 29.

treehugger.gifAutistic pagan mama with five kiddos on the spectrum, learning through living life. autismribbon.gif  computergeek2.gif

#63 of 63 Old 11-23-2007, 07:29 PM

I've had upper dentures since my early 40's. With 10 plus years experience with them I say go for it. Mine are a vast improvement over the mouth full of painful rotten teeth that I endured for years. I know you won't want to but the best thing is too have no teeth in until you have gone three months without and your gums have healed and shrunk. That way your new teeth will fit great and there will be no sores. It took me about 24 hours to get used to them. They are no problem at all except you better remember to cover your mouth when you sneeze! I don't use anything to hold them in and I can eat corn on the cob and apples fine!:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page