Feeling resentful - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 68 Old 01-26-2008, 09:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Since my sister announced her wedding plans months ago, I have been anticipating stress and anxiety. And sure enough, five days before the event, here I am...

This is a destination wedding. We are going to Jamaica on Thursday. I suppose I should be excited, as the flight, hotel room, and all meals will cost me no money at all. And it's a supremely fancy hotel. And the weather will be warm. The beach will be gorgeous. It's a rare opportunity for my children to go on a luxurious vacation (and for dh and me, who never travel). Why am I feeling resentful?

First. I will be having to take 2 days off from work. As a teacher, this feels like quite a burden; I now have hours' worth of substitute planning and photocopying to complete before Wednesday night. When I got married 10 Octobers ago, I only took of two days for MY OWN wedding!

Second. Although the major expenses will be covered by my parents, we've purchased TONS of clothes for the various events during the "wedding weekend." Most of my family, and all of my sister's friends, undoubtedly have closets full of "resortwear." We did not. We will now, hundreds and hundreds of dollars later...no that we'll ever wear it again.

Third. Traveling. There are NO good flight times, we have to go through customs. Need I say more.

Fourth. The whole. entire. thing. I think about it, and I can't believe my sister expects all of her friends and family to go through this great expense and inconvenience for her. I mean, obviously when you're the bride, you get your special day. The world stops to revolve around you for a while. Then it's over. Okay. She can have her special day. But does she really need THREE? (Yes, events planned for all three days. Booked solid.)

End of tirade. Would you feel this way, or would you just be happy for a "free" trip? If the latter, please help change my attitude.
#2 of 68 Old 01-26-2008, 09:21 PM

I can help make you feel a bit better..I was invited to one of these and had to pay all my travel expenses as well...so in a way, maybe you can consider yourself a bit lucky?

ps...be careful, leave yourself extra time, Mercury will be in retrograde for your trip

Victim of Birth Rape & Coerced ribboncesarean.gifUnnecesareanribboncesarean.gif What makes people think they can cut up someone else's genitals? nocirc.gif
#3 of 68 Old 01-26-2008, 09:25 PM

It's your sister. I have three sisters. I get it. Is she normally the princess of the family? That's all I have to say. Sending you hugs mama. Maybe just drink a lot. I think I'm done dispensing valuable advice now !
#4 of 68 Old 01-26-2008, 09:37 PM

It does sound like a lot of work and expense. But it will be a beautiful trip. Breathe slowly. A lot. I once had a job where taking time off was a lot of work. I totally get that.

I would tell you to be grateful for this beautiful trip but if it's not your thing, well it's not your thing.

It's only a few days...only a few days..Jamaica will be beautiful. Enjoy yourself as best you can.

I have to be honest though, I don't envy you. It just sounds crazy. and I have always wanted to go to Jamaica to meet my pen pal. And with everything booked for events..that's a bit depressing too..like what if you just want to veg on the beach for a day.
#5 of 68 Old 01-26-2008, 09:43 PM
Banned

It sounds to be beautiful but at a cost. Once again, there is no such thing as a free puppy, yk.
#6 of 68 Old 01-26-2008, 09:50 PM

Sounds like the most irritating parts of this whole thing will be behind you once you get there. I'm a 4th grade teacher too and I totally understand the burden of sub plans. But once you get there, half your traveling will be behind you, your kids at school will be taken care of, your family's nice new clothes will be ready to have fun in, and you will get to celebrate a wonderful event! Enjoy it!
#7 of 68 Old 01-26-2008, 09:56 PM

With all due respect, I would try to enjoy it What a treat to go away in the middle of the winter, to a beautiful resort. Can you tell I am in the Northeast? You want your kids to have a good time, they will pick up on your mood and feelings. Good luck with the travel. I hope it's wonderful for you.

~Joan, Happy mom to 2 beautiful kiddos, one new puppy and 2 lovely felines
#8 of 68 Old 01-26-2008, 10:01 PM

Ugh, I feel for you. Sub plans make me .

Traveling just plain stresses me out... but you WILL have fun once you're there. Just keep telling yourself that.

Me+DH+DS1+DS2+Dog=me and a house full of guys, which is really just peachy, thanks.
#9 of 68 Old 01-26-2008, 10:05 PM

Honestly I wouldn't. First I wouldn't have spent a ton of money to get clothes so I wouldn't have that to stress about. Summer clothes would have worked for me and if I needed a few(it is only three days) fancy things then that's about it. Your probably not going to go through a big big hassle at customs. The only thing different we had to do from PR was an extra trip through a different x-ray machine. The extra activities, well I think that depends on you and your sis. As long as I showed up to the ones that were most important to her my sister wouldn't care if I didn't attend every single one. The work part yeah that does sounds like a PITA. Are you normally easily stressed?
#10 of 68 Old 01-26-2008, 10:21 PM

I'm a New Englander **GO PATS**, so call me biased, but frankly I'm envious.

I agree w/jeca, I wouldn't have spent hundreds on new clothes; at worst, I'd have gone to a consignment shop to get whatever I truly needed.

Yeah, getting the sub's stuff together will be a bit of a pain, but come on, you're going to Jamaica!!! For free!!!

Sounds to me that you've got some issues with your sister that don't have anything to do with her destination wedding. Maybe that's a whole 'nuther thread?
#11 of 68 Old 01-26-2008, 10:21 PM

I'm a former teacher and know the pita that sub plans are. It will be ok. Your students will be fine for 2 days. Vacations are always lots of work, but just think of the warm, sunny, fun times you will have. Like you said, you wouldn't be able to take this kind of vacation any other way, so think of how lucky you are to be going. As for the clothes, as soon as you get home, wash them up and put them up on ebay or take them to a local resale shop. No you won't get all your money back, but you'll get some and whatever $ you don't get back, think of that as how much your luxury vacation cost. Try to just go and have fun, you'll most likely never get a trip like this again.
#12 of 68 Old 01-26-2008, 10:22 PM

I'm jealous that you get to go to Jamaica at no (direct) cost to you, but three days of wedding stuff! Blech! I hope y'all get a chance to "get lost" and miss one of the days.

If you aren't planning to wear the clothes again, sell 'em on eBay when you get home! At least you will get some money back.

Like a pp said, with the sub stuff, sure, it sucks, but at least it will be done by the time you get on the plane!

Try to enjoy yourself and don't feel bad about feeling resentful! I get annoyed when someone expects me to go somewhere without giving me a day's notice (like, invite to lunch at last minute). Some of us are creatures of habit!
#13 of 68 Old 01-26-2008, 10:32 PM - Thread Starter

I'm the only fool who hasn't learned to multi-quote, so I'll try to respond to as many as I can...

Yes, lots of my issues revolve around my being a creature of habit! I'd sooner stay home and do what I did yesterday than go out and do something much more fabulous.

Issues with my sister? What makes you say that?

To those who can empathize with the prospect of sub plans, I appreciate that!

And to all you New Englanders...we're in CT, up here too, so I should be really happy about grabbing a few days in the sun, right? But instead, up until I did all this shopping for clothes, I had been secretly hoping a huge Nor' Easter would blast us and make the trip impossible!
#14 of 68 Old 01-26-2008, 10:56 PM

go, and have fun! tell your sis you can't make all the events. Go to a shower (if there is one), the rehearsal, the bachelorette party, the rehearsal dinner, and the wedding. Don't do the rest of them, just don't! Go hang out on the beach with your family.
As for the clothes, I would take them all back and hit the thrift shops instead. All the ones near me have resort wear out right now.
Go and have fun!! I have lived through 8 CT winters in my life and think I would have done just about anything to go to Jamaica for a few days in the middle of it!
#15 of 68 Old 01-26-2008, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kymholly View Post

I agree w/jeca, I wouldn't have spent hundreds on new clothes; at worst, I'd have gone to a consignment shop to get whatever I truly needed.

Yeah, getting the sub's stuff together will be a bit of a pain, but come on, you're going to Jamaica!!! For free!!!

Sounds to me that you've got some issues with your sister that don't have anything to do with her destination wedding. Maybe that's a whole 'nuther thread?
I'm probably the only person here who doesn't include Jamaica as a desired vacation spot (except for the food ); I'd much rather go to, say, Siberia or Alaska

That said, I'd still be pretty happy about a free vacation to Jamaica. I wouldn't have felt the need to buy hundreds and hundreds of dollars of new clothes that I would never wear again though. In fact, I'm not even sure what kind of clothes you mean.
#16 of 68 Old 01-26-2008, 11:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyastara View Post
I'd much rather go to, say, Siberia or Alaska
: You know, you just made me realize...it could be a whole lot worse.
#17 of 68 Old 01-26-2008, 11:16 PM

Go and have fun. I'm a teacher so I get the sub plan thing but really, it will be worth it. My sister got married in Key West and it was so great to have my whole extended family in such a beautiful place. We all have such wonderful memories. We paid all of our own expenses including my DH and I being in the wedding but it's my only sister.

Jamaica is beautful. Just soak in the mellow attitude of the people and roll with it.

Let them sleep in the middle, Let them be little
#18 of 68 Old 01-26-2008, 11:16 PM

I would go, enjoy myself to the extent that was possible, and come home and put those clothes on ebay lickety split.
#19 of 68 Old 01-26-2008, 11:21 PM
Ok

Sub plans? Thats what writing exercises (hhmm, does 4th grade write narratives in your district? a good hours-worth of narratives?), read aloud, weekly readers and math review work are all about eh?

I also prefer to stay home-- but it is a special time and your children get to do something really neat (or are they too young to know?)
#20 of 68 Old 01-26-2008, 11:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ok View Post
Sub plans? Thats what writing exercises (hhmm, does 4th grade write narratives in your district? a good hours-worth of narratives?), read aloud, weekly readers and math review work are all about eh? Is your sub pot-luck or do you know him/her? If they can teach, you're golden. If not, thats where the review work comes, right? How about a newspaper scavenger hunt to chew up some time? (reading for purpose, eh?) OK, not meaning to be too goofy, but kids are pretty resilient. I think we're much more intense about their days than most of them are.

I also prefer to stay home-- but it is a special time and your children get to do something really neat (or are they too young to know?)
So far, Thursday morning:
9:00-10:00 Narrative writing prompt (practice for state standardized test)
10:00-10:15 Snack
Thanks! I'm part-way there!!

My children are definitely of the age to appreciate this trip. Ds is 7 and is always talking about how his friends go to "the islands" for all the school vacations (yes, we live in the kind of area where everyone else has $) so I'm a little excited for him because now, at least, he will have had one experience on tha type of vacation. As for dd...she's almost 4, and she's a pure pleasure nearly 100% of the time, so I know I'll have a lovely time with her.

Okay...feeling a little better...
#21 of 68 Old 01-27-2008, 02:38 AM

Sounds to me a bit like Bridezilla! I wouldn't expect anyone to fly anywhere for a wedding! And I'd be a bit irritated at that timing. Doesn't she realize that people who teach (she does know what you do for a living right?) can't just take a week off any old time? And that most kids go to school? At least all the weddings in my family have been held either in the summer or around major holidays (Christmas, Thanksgiving). But then, since most of us are involved in education in some way, maybe it's just encoded into our genes!

And you know, one of the kids could get mysteriously "sick" during the time you're there and feel best sitting right by the pool, skipping all of the planned activities...

OK, and because I can't help it:
How to multiquote
The one window option

1. Reply to thread you want to reply to.
2. Scroll down to the posts that you want to quote. Highlight the first one, copy, scroll back up to your reply.
3. Type "[ " "QUOTE" "]" (except without the quotations and with no spaces), paste the quote in. At the end of the quote type "[" "/QUOTE" "]" (note the backslash, again don't put in any quotation marks or spaces).
4. Repeat steps 1-3 for all further things you want to quote.

The multiwindow option
1. Right click on the post you want to quote. A menu will come up that says will allow you "open in new window/new tab". Open that in the new window/tab.
2. It will open up in a new window, and then you'll can post your reply, but don't hit "submit reply".
3. Right click on the next post you want to quote, open it up in a new. Copy and paste the whole thing into the 1st window where you replied. Reply to that.
4. Continue for each post you want to quote.

For some reason, many teachers I know are strangely reluctant to use multiple windows at one time.

Lynnteapot2.GIF, academicreading.gif,geek.gif wife, WOHM  to T jog.gif(4/01) and M whistling.gif (5/04)
#22 of 68 Old 01-27-2008, 04:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyastara View Post
I'm probably the only person here who doesn't include Jamaica as a desired vacation spot (except for the food ); I'd much rather go to, say, Siberia or Alaska
Now THAT would make me unhappy. You want me to freeze my arse off and smile about it during a polar bear wedding? Uh uh:
#23 of 68 Old 01-27-2008, 04:14 AM
Banned

I'm thinking that you might want to try to let go of your resentment a little here.

You're going on a lovely vacation that you otherwise would not be able to go on.

I'm wondering if a little pre-planning might not have made this week easier on you, as you've known when your trip was for some time now, right? Did you have to wait until just now to start the planning for the substitute?

I think some people just get tense at the prospect of traveling far from home, and that is probably hidden somewhere in there. So, try to have a good time. Try to appreciate the fact that you get this opportunity...and allow yourself and your family to have fun.
#24 of 68 Old 01-27-2008, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teachma View Post
Yes, lots of my issues revolve around my being a creature of habit! I'd sooner stay home and do what I did yesterday than go out and do something much more fabulous.
I can relate to that. I also hate to travel (don't know if you do), and this sounds like absolute hell to me. I have no advice, but I don't think you have to be "grateful" because other people think it sounds like a dream, yk? Sorry about the work stuff - hope you have more fun while you're there than I would!

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#25 of 68 Old 01-27-2008, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kymholly View Post
I'm a New Englander **GO PATS**, so call me biased, but frankly I'm envious.

Ummmm...: Exactly...even the "I'm a New Englander **GO PATS**" part. Dang it's cold here tonight. :
Hmmmm...which would I choose, high of 23 or high of 81? I froze my bootie off just now letting the dog out and I can't feel my toes either. {{{chatter}}}

ETA: It's not your sisters fault you only took two days off for your own wedding.

Tina ~ SAHcarrot.gif- head Mama to - 

DS blowkiss.gif(07/'03), DD energy.gif(05'05), DS, unplanned UC sleepytime.gif(01/'09), DD joy.gif(06/'11) ...

SURPRISE!  dizzy.gifNew little one, due Sept. 2013

#26 of 68 Old 01-27-2008, 05:56 AM

Enjoy yourself... view it as an opportunity to have a little vacation and be witness to your sister's happiness at the same time.

Peace
#27 of 68 Old 01-27-2008, 08:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnS6 View Post
At least all the weddings in my family have been held either in the summer or around major holidays (Christmas, Thanksgiving). But then, since most of us are involved in education in some way, maybe it's just encoded into our genes!
Well, to be "fair," her first attempt at planning this wedding used the week of my February vacation. However, in doing that initially, she completely overlooked our long-standing plans to go to Florida with my in-laws that week. That whole ordeal (in which she then had to change the entire wedding, location included, when she found out I couldn't make it) kind of kicked off some tension from the start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnS6 View Post
For some reason, many teachers I know are strangely reluctant to use multiple windows at one time.
I will include myself in the set of "many teachers;" thus, I tried it the first way you explained, and I'm eager to see if it worked...

Quote:
I'm wondering if a little pre-planning might not have made this week easier on you, as you've known when your trip was for some time now, right? Did you have to wait until just now to start the planning for the substitute?
I'm a little compulsive about planning "meaningful" activities for the kids. Therefore, I find it best to wait until right before I leave. That way, I have the knowledge of what my students just did for, say, math...and I can plan follow-up lessons that make sense according to where I left off the day before.
#28 of 68 Old 01-27-2008, 11:25 AM
Ok

Quote:
Well, to be "fair," her first attempt at planning this wedding used the week of my February vacation. However, in doing that initially, she completely overlooked our long-standing plans to go to Florida with my in-laws that week. That whole ordeal (in which she then had to change the entire wedding, location included, when she found out I couldn't make it) kind of kicked off some tension from the start.
Thats not your burden though. You had plans for your vacation. (My bias, however, is that I would just as soon stay home.)

Quote:
I'm a little compulsive about planning "meaningful" activities for the kids. Therefore, I find it best to wait until right before I leave. That way, I have the knowledge of what my students just did for, say, math...and I can plan follow-up lessons that make sense according to where I left off the day before.
I understand about meaningful activities. However, there are some neat stand-alone activities that can work in a pinch.
#29 of 68 Old 01-27-2008, 02:03 PM - Thread Starter

In a somewhat humorous twist, my brother, who intended to leave for Jamaica yesterday (to enjoy an extra-long vacation with his girlfriend) discovered last-minute that he did not know the location of his PASSPORT! So, he is currently stranded in Miami (the closest he could get w/o the passport) with several suitcases full of stuff my sister was sending ahead with him. Apparently, for a $600 fee, he will be able to file a one-day passport renewal somewhere in Miami tomorrow, so that he can get his new passport Tuesday morning.

This has lightened my mood considerably! While I'm stressed out and annoyed...at least I'm organized, stressed out and annoyed.

FWIW my little brother is 26 years old and a high-powered, high-salaried NYC attorney. Who apparently doesn't really have his whole act together!!
#30 of 68 Old 01-27-2008, 02:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ok View Post
(My bias, however, is that I would just as soon stay home.)

Yep. Me, too.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page