~Journaling in April/May~ - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-22-2008, 04:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Welcome to the Journaling Thread. Here we plan to talk journaling from books and pens to blogs and prompts. We'll share our stories, support each other and offer encouragment when needed. Anyone is welcome to share a exercise or prompt to the group as they are always appreciated! Happy Journaling!

Journaling Resources:

Books
Journaling to the Self: Twenty-Two Paths to Personal Growth - Open the Door to Self-Understanding by Reading, Writing, and Creating a Journal of Your Life

Journalution: Journaling to Awaken Your Inner Voice, Heal Your Life and Manifest Your Dreams

The Artist's Way

Journals:
Moleskine

Websites:
Art Journal: http://www.jennifernew.com
Art Journal: http://www.kporterfield.com/journal/Illuminations.html
Blog, ideas, self help: http://christinekane.com/blog
Author of "The Artist Way" Julia Cameron's Website
Horoscope Newsletter that also comes with some writing assignments Rob Brezsny's Free Will Astrology

Prompts/Exercises used in this thread so far:
Starting a new Journal
Clustering
Misconceptions
Journal a Vision/Journal Joy/Journal Gratitude
Ask a Question
You as the Hero
Various Prompts
Dialogue with your critic
Is This What You Really Want?
Sketching ideas from Oriole

-Rachel

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2008, 04:13 PM

lately it seems my journaling has been done in my myspace blog I am also known to write them, leave them up a few days, then remove them.

I am going to be more mindful of writing things down in my actual journal. I love rereading the past and it is such a great way to work through things.

Whatever will be, already is...

Old 04-22-2008, 04:26 PM - Thread Starter

OK thought it would be fun to see how many journals everyone has, what kind are they and so forth.

I have been in the blog world, which I consider a journal, since 2004. I love the online blogs/journals because they are easy to navigate through the old passages and to find specific topics from the past.

This is mostly a day to day blog about our ongoings, daily life, and adventures. That blog is still there. And it pretty much turned into a daily life blog/journal.

I also have a food blog (below) that is public and stores our pictures and recipes of some of the yummy food we make.

Two ttc blogs, one private and other other (below) public were created to help me through my (long) TTC journey and to keep friends and family informed without being asked a ton of questions.

I have a Spiritual blog in which i collect ideas, recipes, crafts, pics, thoughts and other correspondence about my spiritual journey.

I know lots of blogs, but it was working for me until...

Around the beginning of this month I felt the need to get back to paper and pen so I went out and bought a blank Moleskine book and have been journaling with a new found passion I've never had before. I've come into what i believe to be a new phase of my life and there are a lot of choices I can make at this point. I felt the need for an outlet where I could really let my hair down and not censor myself. I think I've found it. I'm writing about 5-7 minutes 2-3 times a day. Sometimes more sometimes less and it's really helping me to figure out some things. I love the creativity it's also allowing me to express.

After reading Journaling to the Self I felt such a rush and and I haven't looked back.

-Rachel

Old 04-22-2008, 04:47 PM

I'm so excited there's a journaling thread!

I have a personal blog where I'm going to write/have been writing some about this personal course I've developed. I wanted to focus myself more in my journaling/reading and so I made up a course for myself to explore...myself.

We have a family blog as well - although it's brand new and doens't have anything in it yet.

I agree about blogging being a great place to get things out...it's so convinient and I can type much faster then I can write.

That being said I also have a pen and paper journal that I LOVE. I write in it for at least 10 minutes everyday. This has been a new practice since my son was born and it is helping me immensely to progess in my healing journey. I find that writing things down and being able reread them has been so so so very useful.

recently I did this exercise (as part of my self-designed course) where I went through my old journals and wrote down words, phrases and themes that jumped out at me...then I glued the negative stuff on a piece of paper in one column with aligning positive words - doing this was completely revolutionary for me - I felt like I was sending my past self love and healing. It was really amazing to see the progression of my growing up in my journals as well (I've been keepign journals since high school)

Could this thread be a place to share ideas of journaling prompts, activities and the like?
Old 04-23-2008, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter

Welcome, Elsa! Wow a self-designed course, that sounds so neat. And Yes, I'm hoping people will share journaling prompts, activities and that like. I loved what you did with your old journal!

-Rachel

Old 04-23-2008, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsa_elsa View Post
I'm so excited there's a journaling thread!

I have a personal blog where I'm going to write/have been writing some about this personal course I've developed. I wanted to focus myself more in my journaling/reading and so I made up a course for myself to explore...myself.

We have a family blog as well - although it's brand new and doens't have anything in it yet.

I agree about blogging being a great place to get things out...it's so convinient and I can type much faster then I can write.

That being said I also have a pen and paper journal that I LOVE. I write in it for at least 10 minutes everyday. This has been a new practice since my son was born and it is helping me immensely to progess in my healing journey. I find that writing things down and being able reread them has been so so so very useful.

recently I did this exercise (as part of my self-designed course) where I went through my old journals and wrote down words, phrases and themes that jumped out at me...then I glued the negative stuff on a piece of paper in one column with aligning positive words - doing this was completely revolutionary for me
- I felt like I was sending my past self love and healing. It was really amazing to see the progression of my growing up in my journals as well (I've been keepign journals since high school)

Could this thread be a place to share ideas of journaling prompts, activities and the like?
I have done what I call 'harvesting my journal' where I collect prompts (things that I want to expand on or passages that I lik) and put them in a new notebook to carry on in the next journal.

I also used to title my journals when I was starting them and it was uncanny how accurate that was.

Thanks for reminding me, I find that writing online for others to read is keeping me going for now though.

Maybe tonight I will start a new one

Old 04-23-2008, 01:47 PM

At work so can't type much, but wanted to sub.

I am an active blogger and haven't put pen to paper in a while.

My family of 3 (plus pup) Indigo (Aimee), Rob (dp), Ryne (ds) & Phebe (dog), plus my BIL's family of 3.

"The best way to predict the future is to invent it." - Alan Kay

Old 04-23-2008, 03:27 PM

i have to confess-- i do not "get" blogging. but then, i personally would never want to put my true self out there. i love journaling because i can really self-create my self and my universe.

there was a thread in decluttering about decluttering old journals. that was an interesting thread-- anyone here post in that? there were a lot of people who said they'd not get rid of old ones... i was one who said i've done it and it was so freeing. in that thread we kind of touched on types of journaling...

i think that might be a key difference... journaling events vs journaling to create...??

anyhow-- i'd posted in the original thread about anais nin... i'll repost that here, cause i'd love to hear if others have read her.

bg~ what's "journaling to the self"?

here's my post from the other thread....
Quote:
anyone read anais nin on journaling? i recently re-read the essay in "in favor of the sensitive man" on journaling, and realized how much it must have shaped my own style of journaling. mine are mainly where i, as she puts it, "re-create myself."

Quote:
I believe one writes because one has to create a world in which one can live. I could not live in any of the worlds offered to me--the world of my parents, the world of war, the world of politics. I had to create a world of my own, like a climate, a country, an atmosphere in which I can breathe, reign and recreate myself...

(wow, that's *really* true today, as it was for me when i began really journaling, in jr high)

i've also been wanting to start a journal for/about my son, i just havent (this will sound lame) found the right book yet. i'm so picky about books! anyone else have paper and pen snobbery issues?
Old 04-23-2008, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelovedK View Post
I also used to title my journals when I was starting them and it was uncanny how accurate that was.
I do this as well - and you're right - the titles are very accurate!
Old 04-23-2008, 03:35 PM

aweynsayl,

I know exactly what you mean by finding the right journal. I searched quite a few places when I decided to start a journal for my stepdaughter. It had to be the right one. I found it though, it's has plane red leather (fake leather?) cover, very thick, with pages that look gold on the sides. I also needed just the right amount of space between the lines... go figure.

My personal journal looks very feminine, it has a drawing of a woman on the cover. The whole cover is done in various gentle shades of pink.

New endeavor coming soon...
Raising Alice in Wonderland (DSD, 17), and in love with a Superman
Old 04-23-2008, 06:12 PM

I went through phases in my life when I almost lived in my journal, would leave parties or cut evenings-out so I could go home and write about them! Since my dds have arrived, my journaling is like the best outlet for many MANY intense emotions... I went through PPD really bad and my journal was so helpful. It's where I process tough things, create new ideas, write my poetry, and "cry" or "lament" about the shitty stuff that happens. Oh and over the years I've been collecting blank journals that I like... I had to stop myself though because at one point I was buying blank journals more than I was actually writing in them!

When I got my lap top, I thought I would move all my journaling to it, but I LOVE the feel of pen on paper... I'm a fountain-pen girl, too. And just having an aesthetically pleasing book is too good to pass up for me!

Anyway, I'm excited about this!

Agnieszka wife to Kevin, Kalina (Jan 7, 2005), Tosia (June 4, 2006) , and baby Emmett (Dec 27, 2009)
Old 04-23-2008, 06:30 PM

Anyone Art Journal? I am thinking about getting back into that to suppliment my blog.

My family of 3 (plus pup) Indigo (Aimee), Rob (dp), Ryne (ds) & Phebe (dog), plus my BIL's family of 3.

Old 04-23-2008, 07:12 PM

While you are considering journaling your daily activities, I found a free website that allows you to journal your food and exercise, create an interactive calendar, store your medical records, and you can even create a personal health record for each child and store their immunizations and health records. (I did this for my twins.) While it seems too good to be true, they paid me to do it! Look at www.wellness360.com and check it out for yourself.

Be happy, be well!

~Linska
Old 04-23-2008, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigo73 View Post
Anyone Art Journal? I am thinking about getting back into that to suppliment my blog.
details, please?..

Old 04-23-2008, 10:04 PM

Wish I had some pictures of my old ones. I used a soft Moleskine and used it to sketch, collage, write poems, doodle, paste in photographs, etc. It was separate from my daily dairy. It's a big messy reflection of my creative and moods.

Here are a couple good websites with examples:

http://www.jennifernew.com
http://www.kporterfield.com/journal/Illuminations.html

Old 04-24-2008, 02:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama_Agnieszka View Post
I went through phases in my life when I almost lived in my journal, would leave parties or cut evenings-out so I could go home and write about them!
This was me for yeeeeears! I actually felt like my journal was my only real friend for so long. I wrote more than once everyday.

Now I hardly ever write and when I do it's to complain about whatever. I want to, NEED to, get back to it. I also need to quit with this idea that everything has to be written out all linear. When I was obsessed with journaling I drew, wrote poems and stories, copied quotes, and pasted a lot of pictures in my journals. Every entry was my art even if it was just because I wrote it in purple ink. I need that again- a haven in a book.

ETA- I, too, blog but I am finding more and more that I want to get back to keeping personal things personal. I want to get back to treating my life as sacred and not blurting everything out to people IRL and on the orld wide web. I do this far too much.

Maggie, blissfully married mama of 5 little ladies on my own little path. homeschool.gif gd.gifRainbow.gif
Old 04-24-2008, 11:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelovedK View Post
Love this idea. So you would title before you wrote it of after? I've kept one or two blank pages at the front of my journal to use as a indexing system. Just haven't figured out what kind of indexing system I want to use. What does everyone use, if any, to index your journal pages?

Indigo73, Welcome!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aweynsayl View Post
i have to confess-- i do not "get" blogging. but then, i personally would never want to put my true self out there. i love journaling because i can really self-create my self and my universe.

i think that might be a key difference... journaling events vs journaling to create...??
bg~ what's "journaling to the self"?
Blogging for me wasn't about putting my true self out there it was more of a record keeping event and my most personal blog is password protected so no one can see it. I really like the idea of journaling to create. I haven't read the author you mentioned. I do a lot of journaling events and I'm trying to get away from that and write more deeply, more intimately with my journal passages. Any ideas on how to do that?

Journaling to the Self is a book written back in the 80's and is still VERY relevent today. She talks a lot about different ways to right. I bought my copy, used, for cheap to use as a reference but my library also had a copy. Check your library for it. Even if you've been writting for years I'd totally recommend this book. It's packed to the brim with ideas and creative thinking and techniques.

Quote:
I love doodling but I'm no artist, and I'm not just being modest, I can't draw. I always wished I had the talent of drawing. BUT I do make doodle drawings. It's actually a quick way to journal something instead of writting out all the words, drawing a picture of the scene with minimal text to explain can capture a thousand words quickly.

Quote:
Wish I had some pictures of my old ones. I used a soft Moleskine and used it to sketch, collage, write poems, doodle, paste in photographs, etc.

Here are a couple good websites with examples:

http://www.jennifernew.com
http://www.kporterfield.com/journal/Illuminations.html
These were very inspiring. Thanks for sharing them, Indigo! I love the idea of collage and pasting things into my journal! I have a blank moleskine now just so I can doodle and add things that wouldn't look good on lined paper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magstphil View Post
I want to get back to treating my life as sacred
Love that!

So when does everyone write? When the mood strikes? At a specific time every day?

I carry my journal with me in my purse I like that I have access to it 24-7 and I can write whenever the mood strikes or I want to capture something right then. This is one down fall of blogging, you have to be near a computer. My mind doesn't retain thoughts very well so having my journal near by always was key to journaling for me. So I write when the mood strikes. Sometimes that's only once a day, other times it's up to 5 times a day.

-Rachel

Old 04-24-2008, 01:37 PM - Thread Starter

Wanted to share this blog. I LOVE IT! I got it from someone on MDC from the treasure mapping thread. She just wrote about "getting vs creating." VERY interesting. I wrote highlighs from it in my journal to reflect on later. All her post are a very good read.

http://christinekane.com/blog

-Rachel

Old 04-24-2008, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtsGirl View Post
Blogging for me wasn't about putting my true self out there it was more of a record keeping event ... I do a lot of journaling events and I'm trying to get away from that and write more deeply, more intimately with my journal passages. Any ideas on how to do that?
yeah, that's what i was imagining. i tend to not even mention events anymore, unless it's to explore something they triggered. for journaling more intimately, i'm not really sure of what to suggest-- except maybe to add a centering and heart opening ritual before you write... (i'd, of course, recomend that ol' link in my sig file for this. )

grab a copy of the anais nin, if you can... the essay on journaling is short, you could litereally read it at the bookstore! it might spark something!

thanks for the info on that book! i'll have to check it out.

WHEN? lol. wellll.... now-- whenever the heck i get a chance! heh. i carry a small one in my bag... there are times i grab a moment to jot something down... I used to journal every night before bed. for a while i did something called "morning pages" (from that work book... oh, gosh, what's it called? something about creating your artist... one of those women-y self-work book things.... was really popular like 10 years ago...?) i actually miss this the most. the idea is you write three pages FIRST thing when you wake up (of course, all the women i know who did it totally cheated, because they all did them at the coffee shop... and i'm fairly sure they all showered first. ). you dont censor yourself, you do it free-flowing. (actually, this might help you on being more intimate/creative!) i really miss that-- it sets the tone for the whole day! i'm really wanting to get back to a more... well, i call it "bloomsbury-ish" sense of my creative self. it's a key element of my treasure map (for those of you i "know" from that thread!)...

Oriole~ i'm making myself go look for nice journals this weekend! enough of this holding me back! (and a new pen......)
Old 04-24-2008, 01:48 PM

Quote:
... from the treasure mapping thread.
ok, lol! i should add to my siggie that my posts often have a very long time delay, as the boy often takes me away from the computer mid-post.
Old 04-25-2008, 03:51 PM

Anyone keeps Tarot reading journal, where you record daily (or not so daily) readings and how you understand them? I was thinking of one for a while, but it's all a time commitment issue.

Another one that might be interesting to keep is a dream diary. Anyone does that?

Old 04-25-2008, 04:38 PM - Thread Starter

Oriole, I don't keep a separate journal for those thing. My tarot reading (which are very few and far between) go on my spiritual blog. My Dreams right now are going in my regular journal. I just title thme dreams. I don't record a dream every day but if one strikes me I write it down.

-Rachel

Old 04-28-2008, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oriole View Post
Anyone keeps Tarot reading journal, where you record daily (or not so daily) readings and how you understand them? I was thinking of one for a while, but it's all a time commitment issue.

Another one that might be interesting to keep is a dream diary. Anyone does that?
I keep 2 tarot journals... One is more of a study where I put notations and meanings...The other is an account of the readings I do, I don't always record them in there, but I do so if I am not too tired (I do readings in the evening) When I do readings for others they don't go in the journal though.

Old 05-01-2008, 11:43 AM - Thread Starter

I had a small trip planned for just me and my dog to a wooded mountain cabin. I wanted to journal and figure out some things. I was hoping to get some clarity or have that lightening bolt hit me but nada. I did get a lot of journaling done and it was very relaxing but now I'm pretty burnt out on writing. I've taken a day or two off and plan to pick it back up today or tomorrow to reacess my trip now that I'm home.

I also got the book Journalution: Journaling to Awaken Your Inner Voice, Heal Your Life and Manifest Your Dreams from interlibrary loan. So I'm sure that will motivate me to do some writing also. I'm also hoping to share some of the prompts and ideas here, see if we can get this thread to take off.

I changed our title and added May to it also. Doesn't seem long enough to start another thread yet.

So what's everyone journaling about? Reading? Doing?

-Rachel

Old 05-01-2008, 02:14 PM

I love journaling, and really need to make time to do it more. I think it would really help me with all the stress and anxiety i'm having right now.

I don't always title my journals, but it seems i'm always out of room, and ready to start a new one when a major change happens in my life. Its weird. Like i wrote on the last page of two of my journals: I'm pregnant...

I am sooo picky about pens and journals too. I usually just buy from borders, or some place like that, but i'll stand there for an hour trying to find the perfect one.

I keep all my old journals, i like to read through them from time to time, its hard sometimes reading the tough parts, but i like that i'm at a better place now, and at the time i wrote it , i thought things would never get better. Really puts things back into perspective for me in the now. Its so easy to get consumed by my emotions and let them take over my mind, and life. Journalling gets them out of my head.

I really need to buy a new journal, think i might do that on the weekend.

I do blog , but its mostly for weight loss, i don't like that other people can read it, i'm not as honest and open as when i write on paper.

E Veg*n Mom to ds 6 : dd 3
Old 05-01-2008, 04:27 PM

i've been trying out a few different things-- along the lines of what i used to do... (still cant find a book i love, though!), mainly-- my hand hurts! it's been so long since i've really written.... owie!
i'm glad this thread is here-- so i keep trying!
Old 05-02-2008, 10:43 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolansmummy View Post
I don't always title my journals, but it seems i'm always out of room, and ready to start a new one when a major change happens in my life. Its weird. Like i wrote on the last page of two of my journals: I'm pregnant...

I am sooo picky about pens and journals too. I usually just buy from borders, or some place like that, but i'll stand there for an hour trying to find the perfect one.

Its so easy to get consumed by my emotions and let them take over my mind, and life. Journalling gets them out of my head.
Wow, there's a lot of : up there. First I hope when I get to the end of mine I can write I'm pregnant! Even better if it was before the end. Also I'm the same way about journals only I go to B&N. I'm there at least an hour looking over all the journals, opening them, seeing how they feel, etc. And Third, I also get consumed with my emotions. It's one of my most favorite things about journaling. The release!

Quote:
mainly-- my hand hurts! it's been so long since i've really written.... owie!
I'm feeling you, Aweynsayl! Does it get better the longer you write? I just figured it was all part of the deal/experience.

-Rachel

Old 05-02-2008, 12:51 PM - Thread Starter

This is one of the journaling techniques from the Journaling to the Self book I mentioned earlier.

It's called Clustering.

The idea is to write down a word. I recently did this with the word "Relationship" and another one with the word "Control". You can chose a word you associate with a problem your having right now. Could be a random word. I chose mine because they were becoming "themes" in my journal writing and I wanted a more in-dept look at it.

This technique is used a lot with brainstorming in the business world but the author of the book says it's also a great way to get into your subconsciouses. It works in a similar way as free writing does. It's also a quick way to get to the bottom on something or the core. This is also a Right Brain exercise and allows us to tap into our creative right brain for answers instead of always using our logical left brains.

Write THE word you want to start with in the center of the page and circle it. Think of that word and write the next words you think of out side of THE word and circle them. Work outward connecting the words together in a cluster. Try to keep your hand moving for at least 3 mins or until an "aha" comes. You can continue until you feel you can not anymore or until you run out of room; whatever works best for you. Don't censor yourself, add whatever word comes to you mind even if it doesn't make sense or is silly. An example image of what it might look like is here.

I didn't get an aha but I start to notice a lot of my outer words were around fear and acceptance. This lead to another journal entry on how they all relate to each other. VERY enlightening.

I'd love to know how you liked this if you try it. Also if anyone else want to share a technique feel free. I'm going to try to put up a prompt or technique once a week or so but feel free to take a week over if you'd like or just throw something out there.

Happy Journaling

-Rachel

Old 05-03-2008, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Does it get better the longer you write? I just figured it was all part of the deal/experience.
oh, yeah. when i was writing a ton on a regular basis, i never noticed it at all. i'm just very out of practice!

Quote:
I didn't get an aha but I start to notice a lot of my outer words were around fear and acceptance. This lead to another journal entry on how they all relate to each other. VERY enlightening.
ohh, i shall have to try that! sounds fun!

well. i found a couple journals that spoke to me, but then in the morning it didnt feel right... i'm trying to be more creative, and having a journal "made" by a machine isnt ringing true to my goals, so i've decided to "make" one... or, at least, get a simple book and "decorate" it with some fabric that i love... wish me luck, and please-- hold me accountable!

oh, btw... here's that image i think i mentioned before..... my ideal journaling spot... it's on my Treasure Map along with affirmations about my notebooks being full of thoughtful observations.... we shall see!
Old 05-04-2008, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
oh, yeah. when i was writing a ton on a regular basis, i never noticed it at all. i'm just very out of practice!
Well THAT is good to hear! I am still cramping up if I write more than 10-15 minutes. Could it be the pen or do I just need more practice?

Quote:
i'm trying to be more creative, and having a journal "made" by a machine isnt ringing true to my goals, so i've decided to "make" one... or, at least, get a simple book and "decorate" it with some fabric that i love... wish me luck, and please-- hold me accountable!

oh, btw... here's that image i think i mentioned before..... my ideal journaling spot... it's on my Treasure Map along with affirmations about my notebooks being full of thoughtful observations.... we shall see!
That sound lovely, Aweynsayl! I love the idea of making your own. Let us know how that turns out. And your spot looks just wonderful! I can totally picture you there writing! I also have journaling on my treasure map!

How's everyone else doing with journaling?

-Rachel

User Tag List