~Journaling in June/July~ - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 111 Old 07-03-2008, 06:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So happy to find this thread. I just put down the computer and wrote in my DS's journal. It has been months since I wrote in it and his one year is coming up next week so the timing couldn't have been better. I would like to write in his journal more often. But I'd also like to do some self exploration writing for myself. I've been questioning many of my concrete beliefs lately and have been surprising myself with my own answers! I second the doodling it always makes me feel like I've released something and gotten in touch with my creativity!
#62 of 111 Old 07-09-2008, 02:20 PM

bumping

Whatever will be, already is...

#63 of 111 Old 07-09-2008, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtsGirl View Post
barose, big

Thanks!
#64 of 111 Old 07-10-2008, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter

Sorry I've been MIA from this thread. We've been going through a tough spot with TTC. My journal although, has been a god-send in helping me get my thoughts out there and organized.

If I get a chance I'll come back with a prompt. How's everyone else doing?

-Rachel

#65 of 111 Old 07-10-2008, 10:08 AM

Hi, I just found this thread. I want to get back into journaling. My issue is that I need to make time to journal, but also I sometimes have this strong emotional reaction to NOT write...does anyone else experience this? This especially happens after something very negative happens, but sometimes not. I know that the only way that journaling can make a difference in your life is to actually WRITE it down!

I am excited to use some of the exercises here. Thanks!
#66 of 111 Old 07-10-2008, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amhancock View Post
Hi, I just found this thread. I want to get back into journaling. My issue is that I need to make time to journal, but also I sometimes have this strong emotional reaction to NOT write...does anyone else experience this? This especially happens after something very negative happens, but sometimes not. I know that the only way that journaling can make a difference in your life is to actually WRITE it down!

I am excited to use some of the exercises here. Thanks!
Hi amhancock,

I just wanted to say that you don't have to write about things you don't want to write about. Start with something fun, or even a doodle. Oh, and... find a journal you will love.

New endeavor coming soon...
Raising Alice in Wonderland (DSD, 17), and in love with a Superman
#67 of 111 Old 07-10-2008, 12:37 PM

While doing some major decluttering late last month, we found a bunch of my old notebooks. Which mostly contain story ideas, but a few were journalesque. Interesting reading.

I also found a ruled journal that hadn't been touched. I think I was going to use it on a trip that, well didn't go well, and never used it. So thinking about trying once again to take pen to paper and augment my blog and art journal (the later which is being neglected at the moment).

My family of 3 (plus pup) Indigo (Aimee), Rob (dp), Ryne (ds) & Phebe (dog), plus my BIL's family of 3.

"The best way to predict the future is to invent it." - Alan Kay

#68 of 111 Old 07-10-2008, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigo73 View Post
While doing some major decluttering late last month, we found a bunch of my old notebooks. Which mostly contain story ideas, but a few were journalesque. Interesting reading.

I also found a ruled journal that hadn't been touched. I think I was going to use it on a trip that, well didn't go well, and never used it. So thinking about trying once again to take pen to paper and augment my blog and art journal (the later which is being neglected at the moment).
I want to start an art journal... Probably at the end of July will do some shopping. Can't wait...

#69 of 111 Old 07-10-2008, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oriole View Post
Hi amhancock,

I just wanted to say that you don't have to write about things you don't want to write about. Start with something fun, or even a doodle. Oh, and... find a journal you will love.
that's a very good point. I guess I always feel like I 'should'...I am going to remind myself that 'should' is such a useless term..it's either do or don't.

I do keep a journal for my daughter. I try to put a few entries every month about what she's doing, changes, trips, etc. I have done this since I found out I was pregnant with her. It is amazing to look back on what I felt during the pregnancy (I named her 'bean' before we decided on a name) and how my DD has grown and changed.
#70 of 111 Old 07-10-2008, 08:30 PM

I agree- have fun! : If not, why do it? I would hate to have journaling as something- one more thing- that I have to do! I want to approach it like a kitten approaches a ball of string or the way a bird approaches the wind: it's there, let's see what I can do with it!

: Love to all!

treehugger.gif  Mama of three daughters chicken3.gif
#71 of 111 Old 07-15-2008, 10:45 AM - Thread Starter

It's so hard to believe I'm almost finish with my first journal. I've thought about going back and reading the whole thing when I finish the last page. What are some of the things you guys do when you finish a journal? Do you create something on the back pages? Any little rituals you do with your finished journal?

-Rachel

#72 of 111 Old 07-15-2008, 11:02 AM - Thread Starter

Lists
The idea of a list is to keep your pen moving. For the list of ten or fewer you might want to really ellaborate on each item more. But for longer lists, just keep that pen going. It's ok to have repeats or things that don't make sense. The point is to really get yourself thinking

List ten things you love about yourself

List ten activities that you do for fun but which may or may not be considered fun by anyone else.

List 50 of your favorite things.

List 25 things you couldn't live without.

List 5 things you'd like to journal about but aren't ready to yet.

List your favorite people and why you love each one.

-Rachel

#73 of 111 Old 07-15-2008, 11:25 AM

Quote:
It's so hard to believe I'm almost finish with my first journal. I've thought about going back and reading the whole thing when I finish the last page. What are some of the things you guys do when you finish a journal? Do you create something on the back pages? Any little rituals you do with your finished journal?
That's an interesting question. I don't have an answer, since I've never finished a journal. However, I am curious to see what other people do. :

#74 of 111 Old 07-15-2008, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Lists
The idea of a list is to keep your pen moving. For the list of ten or fewer you might want to really ellaborate on each item more. But for longer lists, just keep that pen going. It's ok to have repeats or things that don't make sense. The point is to really get yourself thinking

List ten activities that you do for fun but which may or may not be considered fun by anyone else.

I'll do that one today.

#75 of 111 Old 07-15-2008, 11:39 AM

Quote:
It's always a bit hard for me to write the last entry. Then I usually do a collage on the back end papers. The final thing is writing in the finishing date in the front (ex. June 2004- September 2005).

Cool prompt, Rachel.

treehugger.gif  Mama of three daughters chicken3.gif
#76 of 111 Old 07-15-2008, 12:52 PM

Rachel, I hope everything is okay

I am in the process of decluttering and selling off many of my possessions. I have not been journaling I need to because I am going through so much change

#77 of 111 Old 07-15-2008, 10:37 PM

i've not journaled in so long! today, i <gasp!> got out of the house on MY OWN, got me to the coffeehouse, and-- <gasp!!> journaled for....ohmygoddess, nearly THREE HOURS!

:

i can not even express. i'm like a re-newed person. clearly, i had a lot i needed to work out. the really interesting? anoying? frightening? thing is that i've still got things i want to work out, but i know i'm putting them in a box to think on later.

the rest of july i'm journaling FUN, not "stuff"...... which brings me to-- THANK YOU rachel, for this! i'm very exicted about this one.

Quote:
Lists
The idea of a list is to keep your pen moving. For the list of ten or fewer you might want to really ellaborate on each item more. But for longer lists, just keep that pen going. It's ok to have repeats or things that don't make sense. The point is to really get yourself thinking.
#78 of 111 Old 07-16-2008, 07:26 AM

Oh thank you for this... I'm having trouble even being able to finish a journaling session (usually a kid interrupts etc ) but this could be the thing to get me going!

Quote:
Lists

Pagan  lovin'  WOW playing mum to 5 boys in the wonderful land of Oz ... FOR THE HORDE! hehehe
#79 of 111 Old 07-16-2008, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter

Lists are always fun for me because they are quick. I'm glad it has inspired some of you to pick that journal up. Sometimes it's so hard to get inspired.

Salvia, thank you for your thoughts on the last page. I REALLY love the collage idea. I think that might be what I do.

BK I hope the changes in your life are good and much joy and hope will come from them.

Awe, three hours!? Whoa! I before your journal awesome-ness and non-cramping hand! I bet that felt so good, sister. Glad you were able to get away and spend some time on yourself.

I'm doing well. We've come up with a plan for TTC and are on a break indefinitely right now. It was the best move for me, emotionally. I need the time off from the roller coaster. So we've set a three month deadline. We aren't trying for another 3 months and then we'll see where we're at. I'm still continuing with my TCM and acupuncturist. Over the next three months I'd really like to focus on my health and weight. I might be going to a nutritionist soon but starting next week I'm planning on building a binder (pagan summer camp inspired this) that will hold a weight loss journal, weight chart, weekly meal plan, exercise record, yoga poses, articles, book recs, techniques I find useful, and other interested tid bits related to health and weight loss. I'm really excited.

I have about 25 more pages left in my current journal and I'm still taking ideas on what to do with it when I'm done and what the last few pages will hold.

Happy Journaling, ladies!

-Rachel

#80 of 111 Old 07-16-2008, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oriole View Post
That's an interesting question. I don't have an answer, since I've never finished a journal. However, I am curious to see what other people do. :
i have several...but I haven't done anything special with them. I just make sure I have the complete dates of the time the journal covered on the inside cover.
#81 of 111 Old 07-16-2008, 11:43 AM

on finishing journals-- i always use the back pages for lists and things as i'm working in the journal, so my last pages always wind up being that. usually, i leave some blank pages, as i tend to move on to a new one when it feels right, but there have been times i've taped extra pages in one if i ran out of room. i usually tie it up with a ribbon or just set it on my shelf with the others. no real ritual, though i do "dust" old ones off every once and a while, just to keep them.... what? energized? i dunno.......

Quote:
Awe, three hours!? Whoa! I before your journal awesome-ness and non-cramping hand! I bet that felt so good, sister. Glad you were able to get away and spend some time on yourself.

I'm doing well. We've come up with a plan for TTC and are on a break indefinitely right now. .....I'm really excited.
lol, thanks! i was mainly doing clusters, so cramping wasnt too much an issue. i have pages and pages of them, lol. it was amazing. it felt like maybe 45 min. certainly not as long as it was. *must find way to do again!*

sounds like a good plan, sweets! pamper YOU right now. i'm going thru a process of realizing HOW stunningly important that is, and we-- all of us-- have such a tendancy to be so hard on ourselves, let alone not pampering us enough.......... hugs!!!!
#82 of 111 Old 07-16-2008, 12:45 PM

I love the idea of journaling but I dont know how to start (how dumb is that) I guess part of me feels reluctant because when I journaled as a kid my mum would sneak in my room & read it and I'm having a hard time letting go of this.....

photoblogging crafty Mama to 3 boys (8/04 and twins 08/07)
#83 of 111 Old 07-16-2008, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mum21andtwins View Post
I love the idea of journaling but I dont know how to start (how dumb is that) I guess part of me feels reluctant because when I journaled as a kid my mum would sneak in my room & read it and I'm having a hard time letting go of this.....
Just try one of the prompts that have been suggested. Or write down a quick memory. Now I am not one that needs a fancy notebook, for some that makes it easier. I have used spiral notebooks in the past or a cheap journal picked up at a dollar store. The most important part of journaling is to let go of those hesitations and let the words flow. Your spelling and grammar do not matter. It doesn't have to make sense. Go to your library and check out some of the books in the 1st post of this thread. And if you are afraid someone will come across it, find a place to keep it 'safe'. A locking file cabinet, under the mattress...but don't forget about it. You don't have to write everyday, but make a goal of at least 1-2 times a week at the least. It can be intimidating, but freeing at the same time.
#84 of 111 Old 07-17-2008, 08:15 AM

Quote:
I am sorry your mom read your journal I had a boyfriend who did that once and used all of the things i wrote against me. I agree with the pp, find a way to keep if safe, that will free you to be able to write.

#85 of 111 Old 07-17-2008, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter

mum21, I carry my journal with me everywhere I go. I chose a smaller journal that fits into my purse. It's never more than a few feet from me. I trust my DW not to read it so privacy isn't an issue. I carry it more for accessiblity but it would also keep it safe in your case. Journaling is such a great tool. I hope you'll follow some of the great advice already here and join us. You can also burn or tear up your entries after you write them.

-Rachel

#86 of 111 Old 07-17-2008, 12:16 PM

Quote:
There are so many that have a lock, maybe you could try that?

Also, how about starting with a picture or a diagram instead of a paragraph?
Write "happiness" in the middle, and branch of little things that make you happy. You could do that with any word: "myself", "journaling", etc. etc. etc.

You'll like it.

#87 of 111 Old 07-17-2008, 02:13 PM

I do things along the lines of what Oriole mentions...

Lots of doodling, intuitive drawing to deal with emotions... when I am stuck for words.

My family of 3 (plus pup) Indigo (Aimee), Rob (dp), Ryne (ds) & Phebe (dog), plus my BIL's family of 3.

"The best way to predict the future is to invent it." - Alan Kay

#88 of 111 Old 07-17-2008, 04:55 PM

clustering! i clustering. it's very powerful for me.

more awesome coffehouse journaling today! though, not three hours again, alas. :
#89 of 111 Old 07-20-2008, 09:58 PM

no, really. i love clustering. i came here to say this, and see it's the last thing that was said! i *do* love it. still love my pen, too... in case any one was following that....
i did the list thing, but it turned into clusters..... heehee.

happy journaling, all!
:

eta: i just noticed. i'm happier if i've been journaling............
#90 of 111 Old 07-20-2008, 10:15 PM

Funny to see all these clustering comments... Guess what I did today?

I described my dream home in three pages.

Page one: clustering starting out with House, and all kinds of things from hearb garden, to fireplace springing off in all directions.

Page two: a detailed outline of the first floor and a garden that surrounds the house. It's colored too! Everything from a bird bath, to roses corner, and playground, down to my dream grand piano and an easel in my studio. :

Page three: second floor (kind'a boring... but I had to plan out anyway hehe.

P.S. aweynsayl, of course we are following yoru pen story! hehe

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page