~Journaling in June/July~ - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 111 Old 06-03-2008, 05:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Welcome to the Journaling Thread. Here we plan to talk journaling from books and pens to blogs and prompts. We'll share our stories, support each other and offer encouragement when needed. Anyone is welcome to share a exercise or prompt to the group as they are always appreciated! Happy Journaling!

April/May Thread

Journaling Resources:

Books
Journaling to the Self: Twenty-Two Paths to Personal Growth - Open the Door to Self-Understanding by Reading, Writing, and Creating a Journal of Your Life

Journalution: Journaling to Awaken Your Inner Voice, Heal Your Life and Manifest Your Dreams

The Artist's Way

Writing and Being

Journals & Accessories:
Moleskine
True Writer Sea Glass Fountain Pen
Commonplace Journal

Websites:
Art Journal: http://www.jennifernew.com
Art Journal: http://www.kporterfield.com/journal/Illuminations.html
Blog, ideas, self help: http://christinekane.com/blog
Author of "The Artist Way" Julia Cameron's Website
Horoscope Newsletter that also comes with some writing assignments Rob Brezsny's Free Will Astrology
Masking - watercolor journals

Prompts/Exercises used in this thread so far:
The Manifesting Game
Letter To My Future Self
Perfect Day
What IF... bringing it under the parachutte game
Times of transition prompts
The Dinner Party
Lists

-Rachel

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 111 Old 06-03-2008, 05:23 PM - Thread Starter

I do believe I'll start us off with a prompt!

The Manifesting Game
From Journalution

"Pick one thing you would love to manifest in your life right now. It could be a new job, a relationship, or even a new car. Write a vision for this thing or experience. First take a deep breath and get yourself centered and calm. Then, from this calm, quiet space, write your vision exactly as you would like it to unfold. Be as descriptive as possible. Imagine how it will feel when you have this thing you want. After you have written you vision clearly, post it in a place where you can read it daily. Close your eyes and smile after you read it each day. Really see your vision coming true."

-Rachel

#3 of 111 Old 06-03-2008, 06:32 PM

great summary and exercise, Rachel! thanks!

Any one love fountain pens? Do you have a favorite place online to buy them?

treehugger.gif  Mama of three daughters chicken3.gif
#4 of 111 Old 06-04-2008, 12:27 AM

I'm back! Haven't been journaling a whole lot but one can always hope, right? Still loving my little "me space" though =). Happy journaling all!

Bilingual mama to DS J 6/4/06 and new DS C 9/27/10  homebirth.jpg
#5 of 111 Old 06-04-2008, 02:17 AM

Like that prompt Just thought I'd pop in and say I'm HERE!!!!!

Pagan  lovin'  WOW playing mum to 5 boys in the wonderful land of Oz ... FOR THE HORDE! hehehe
#6 of 111 Old 06-04-2008, 08:18 AM

Hi I am here too. My kids are home from school so it will be a challenge journaling with them interrupting me I am sure I will adapt. I will try this prompt this morning, we are going to a coffee shop and my 8yo is going to read while I journal. Wish me luck

Whatever will be, already is...

#7 of 111 Old 06-04-2008, 10:19 AM - Thread Starter

Glad you guys like the prompt! I thought it was a good one also. Speaking of "me" space. I've decided to create my own. I've been waiting until we remodel the bedroom but that probably won't happen till fall now. So, I'm taking over the guest room. It's barely ever used so I'm going to put up my altar there, do yoga, maybe some journaling. I'm really excited about creating such a space for myself.

BK, have fun at the coffee shop.

Salvia, I don't think I've ever used a fountain pen. I need to go pen shopping soon though.

Glad everyone made it over! Happy Journaling!

-Rachel

#8 of 111 Old 06-04-2008, 06:27 PM

subbing!

i do manifesting journaling a lot! love it. glad you're making special you space. (my journals live on my bedroom alter, btw. they love it there.)
#9 of 111 Old 06-04-2008, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtsGirl View Post
I do believe I'll start us off with a prompt!

The Manifesting Game
From Journalution

"Pick one thing you would love to manifest in your life right now. It could be a new job, a relationship, or even a new car. Write a vision for this thing or experience. First take a deep breath and get yourself centered and calm. Then, from this calm, quiet space, write your vision exactly as you would like it to unfold. Be as descriptive as possible. Imagine how it will feel when you have this thing you want. After you have written you vision clearly, post it in a place where you can read it daily. Close your eyes and smile after you read it each day. Really see your vision coming true."
I wanna do that... I want a baby, and since I'm on bc only magic will work here

New endeavor coming soon...
Raising Alice in Wonderland (DSD, 17), and in love with a Superman
#10 of 111 Old 06-05-2008, 11:45 AM

Subbing!

I can't wait to get back into my journaling - it really helps me with perspective and focus!
#11 of 111 Old 06-05-2008, 03:13 PM - Thread Starter

I just did a really neat exercise that I thought I'd share. I wrote a letter to my future self. It kind of goes along with the previous prompt but DW and I are currently TTC. We're coming up on a year and the battle with infertility has really taken me for a ride. So my letter was to my future pregnant self. There were things I wanted my future pregnant self to remember, like how hard it was to get to that point and to cherish every day of it. It was also me admitting, finally, that I will eventually get pregnant, which I haven't allowed myself to do in a long time. So I was kind of manifesting a pregnant me. It felt so incredibly good to write that letter and really write it to my future pregnant self. I imagined myself just showing a baby bump and rereading it. It was really powerful for me.

This doesn't have to be used for pregnancy it could be your future business owner self. Or your future debt-free self, your future healthier self, or your future homeowner self. Anything you'd plan to acheive or want to acheive. It was a really great feeling entry and I thought I'd share.

-Rachel

#12 of 111 Old 06-05-2008, 05:46 PM

hugs, sweet one! i love that! you must save it always. your sweet babe will love it!

i need to do this one. i need to do it right now. it's going to be a letter to my self when i have my own home again.
#13 of 111 Old 06-05-2008, 07:12 PM

Rachel~ the letter sounds wonderful and sweet! I can just see the baby bump!

O.k.- I was a bit naughty- but I found a pen I love and a journal that looks cool:

Pen

Commonplace Journal

Hmmm- thinking about this prompt. I think I will write letters to both my dds in their journals. They are both having birthdays soon, so it makes me think about how everything changes so quickly and almost without notice.

#14 of 111 Old 06-06-2008, 02:31 AM

Salvia I love that idea.. Quinn's birthday is sunday so I think I'll write a birthday letter to him in my journal

Pagan  lovin'  WOW playing mum to 5 boys in the wonderful land of Oz ... FOR THE HORDE! hehehe
#15 of 111 Old 06-06-2008, 10:30 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys, it was a really powerful entry and I've reread it a couple of times. Hope those of you that try it also have that feeling.

Salvia, that pen is just beautiful. Is there such a thing as pen-lust? I think I am jealous! The journal is also really neat! I love that you can number and title the entries and that there is a place to create an index! My capricorn self would just have way too much fun with that.

I'm loving that most of you keep journals for your children. What would be your purpose in such a journal? Do you plan to give it to them? Is it more for you or for them? What kind of things do you right in it?

-Rachel

#16 of 111 Old 06-06-2008, 10:52 AM

I thought the indexing and numbering would appeal to some here! I let you know what it is like when I get it. Oh, and I've had pen lust before...

The journals are totally for my daughters, but of course I love to read them too. I have always imagined that I would give them to them when they have kids, but maybe before that. They like to read them now and then. I don't write as often as I would like. I write about special days like first day of school and birthdays, but I also write down quotes from them that strike me. (Example: When my youngest looked at a crescent moon and asked,"Somebody cut it up?") I ask them to tell me their favorite foods, books, things to do and write them down. Now that my older dd is reading so many books, I try to write them down too. I put in some pictures and invitations to their birthday parties.

Cari~ I love the name Quinn! If I had had a boy, I bet that is what we would have named him!

#17 of 111 Old 06-09-2008, 02:08 AM

Salvia.. I was SO stuck on the name Quinn when I was pregnant even though there were other options. I knew bub was a boy (intuition plus the fact that having 4 boys made another pretty likely lol) It's very amusing that after his birth nobody but me realized I picked Quinn because one of the meanings I found for it was 'fifth' and, well.. he IS the 5th son It's a perfect name for him.

#18 of 111 Old 06-09-2008, 09:50 AM - Thread Starter

I've noticed that whenever I'm in a good mood or in a health state emotionally, I neglect my journal. Is this true for anyone else? I worry a little about this because I don't want my journal to alway be about my rants and an emotional rollercoaster that always seems to be coming down. But part of me feels like that's kind of the point and what the journal is there for, you know?

-Rachel

#19 of 111 Old 06-09-2008, 10:10 AM

Quote:
I've noticed that whenever I'm in a good mood or in a health state emotionally, I neglect my journal. Is this true for anyone else? I worry a little about this because I don't want my journal to alway be about my rants and an emotional rollercoaster that always seems to be coming down. But part of me feels like that's kind of the point and what the journal is there for, you know?
I completely understand,I have to make an effort to write there when I am happy My journal sometimes makes me look like I am unhappy and troubled much of the time. I think I will write today (thanks for the reminder) My kids are out of school and always around. It is hard to write with them around. I will try anyway.

Happy writing. I guess this is the time to use a prompt.

#20 of 111 Old 06-09-2008, 11:07 AM

Quote:
I noticed that a long time ago *nod*

However, I have been making an effort to use it for good things too lately. I am really starting to like "manifesting" writing, where you write about things you wish for.

Today I am also looking for a love poem to add into my journal. Just because I feel like it.

Thanks to this thread I keep connected to my own journal, it gives me ideas and reminds me to write. :

#21 of 111 Old 06-09-2008, 11:47 AM

Quote:
I'm loving that most of you keep journals for your children. What would be your purpose in such a journal? Do you plan to give it to them? Is it more for you or for them? What kind of things do you right in it?
I keep one for dsd (15), and have been doing this for a year. We had a bit of rough time last year where she didn't want to come over. I missed her, and wanted to let her know that even though I coudn't call her, or talk to her (blended family politics) I still was thinking of her, and cared for her. It helped me to keep my head cool, and my spirits up, because I knew that even though I can't express what I feel right now, she'll have a chance to read it later. I found it extremely therapeutic .

Once I started writing, I knew I will want her to have it as she graduates high school. At first, I wrote about the past, about fun memories we shared, what she meant to me. Now I write about the present events... Her first date, her first kiss,her moving in with us, how I got upset with her for being rude to her dad, but didn't say anything (we have an agreement with her, that I will leave all parenting to her dad), how we went to an amusement park, or the presents we exchanged for Christmas. I add photos, tickets' stubs, doodle; I add scrapbooking stickers on the pages, I also include poems and quotes, and end each entry with "Love, Oriole". There are pages that are just filled with writing, and others are more of a mix of things. I made a commitment to write in it at least twice a month, and have been pretty good with it. I can't wait to give it her, but I am keeping it a secret for now...

It's my favorite project, I only wish I thought of it sooner... Better later than never, right?

#22 of 111 Old 06-09-2008, 03:57 PM

Hi. Just found this thread...

I am a journaling addict and have been since my early 20's. I have taught a journal-writing workshop and will be again in the fall (fingers crossed). I write almost everyday, happy or sad... like I said, I'm an addict! I don't have close friends here (we've just moved) so my journal is my best friend (other than DH). I'm working on manifesting my writing and journal therapy career.

I will try to pop in once in a while to chat with y'all.

joanna
#23 of 111 Old 06-09-2008, 06:04 PM

Hi, all!

It's my dream to be able to make an illustrated journal. I am drawn to watercolors. The one problem is that I am not very good at drawing.

Here are some cool links about illustrated journals I wanted to share:

Masking

Watercolor Journals

#24 of 111 Old 06-09-2008, 08:14 PM

Quote:
I'm actually finding the opposite Since I've started journaling (granted not that long ago) when I'm having an awful day I don't seem to have the energy to journal... I'm afraid MY journal will paint a picture of mary poppins, which I am not lol.

#25 of 111 Old 06-10-2008, 09:49 AM - Thread Starter

Glad to know I'm not alone with not really feeling the urge when I'm in a good mood. I do write every weekday though, no mater what. So I am getting some positive things down as well. My entry today was very positive and upbeat. I think those are also very important because like the manifesting-type entries it puts those good feelings into words and makes them even stronger. So now I feel even more positive and upbeat!

Great ideas on the DC's journals. I just love that idea!

joanna, welcome aboard. Good to have a seasoned pro around here. Feel free to share some prompts or anything else that you feel would be of benefit to us. I normally add links and resources to the first post.

Salvia, Those are breath-takingly beautiful! I love that idea. I can't draw either though, but you have to start somewhere, right? I've been trying to identify local area tree species better so on a recent camping trip I took my guidebook and did tracings in my journal of some of the leaves and included some basic info on them. It was a neat little addition to my journal.

Cari, that's very interesting that your the opposite. Maybe you're just special!

-Rachel

#26 of 111 Old 06-10-2008, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salvia View Post
Hi, all!

It's my dream to be able to make an illustrated journal. I am drawn to watercolors. The one problem is that I am not very good at drawing.
Who cares if you're not good at drawing (and I bet you are really)... it's YOUR journal! Journals should NEVER be censored by your inner critic - we get enough of that from the outside ones. Go to it, girlfriend

joanna
#27 of 111 Old 06-11-2008, 10:00 AM - Thread Starter

Time for a prompt

Perfect Day
From Journalution
Quote:
What is you idea of perfection? Journal your perfect day. Pick one scenario, one blissful day, and capture it in your journal. Write it or draw it, using whatever feels right to you – crayons, markers, photos, whatever you life. Begin with waking up in the morning. In your perfect day, do you wake to watch the sunrise, or do you sleep until noon? Are you looking out a window, at the ocean or the mountains? Are you sleeping in a high, pillow-top bed with white linens blowing all around you, on a simple Zen-like futon, or in a tent in the forest? What do you eat for breakfast? Do you stroll to a sidewalk café and drink lattes, or is breakfast served in bed? Do you spend your day laughing with close friend and family by the fire, or are you with your favorite book on a secluded beach? Write about the entire day, morning through night, including as many details as possible. You don’t have to limit yourself to one perfect day; after you’ve completed the first one, write another if you’re inspired to. You can never have too many perfect days.

-Rachel

#28 of 111 Old 06-11-2008, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.lucymuses View Post
Who cares if you're not good at drawing (and I bet you are really)... it's YOUR journal! Journals should NEVER be censored by your inner critic - we get enough of that from the outside ones. Go to it, girlfriend
Thank you! You are right! I think part of it is that it is easier to say that I can not draw than it is to jump in a do it. I have started something...will share later...maybe.

Ahhhh, a perfect day. What a wonderful thing to think about! Thanks, Rachel.

#29 of 111 Old 06-11-2008, 11:23 PM

Thought I would check in (late).

Since I checked in on the last thread, it's been encouraging me to journal a lot more frequently, Thanks Ladies!

My goal for this month is to find a really beautiful journal so that I can gift it to my grandmother. She just lost my grandfather last year, and I feel like she would find it healing to write. It has to be perfect... preferrably hardcover... preferrably no lines.... if it looks timeless or aged then that would be preferred (she loves doing ancestry stuff).

Thought I'd throw it out there in case someone has any suggestions.

Take care,
El
#30 of 111 Old 06-11-2008, 11:54 PM

Thanks for the reminders ladies I have neglected all but my tarot journal, I will work on it tomorrow (can't wait)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page