Copper IUD and Side effects - Page 21 - Mothering Forums

44Likes

#601 of 651 Old 03-18-2015, 04:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hello Everyone!!!

I am so happy I found this. I am 27 and had the copper IUD inserted in late September 2014. My dr was SO PUSHY about me having it put in. I am very estrogen sensitive and suffered from migraines and melasma on birth control pills, I have never had any children. I honestly did not really want it but she insisted and said that my only side effect would be heavier periods. (what a JOKE that was) So anyways, here I am 6 months later and I just want to tell everyone my side effects and see if its similar to anyone else's experience. By the way I had it removed today. So from the beginning I hated the way it felt in me. I could always feel it, it was like I was "full" in a way. I have gained 16lbs since insertion with no change in diet or lifestyle. I eat pretty healthy and work out a few days a week, also most of the weight gain is in my stomach area. I literally look pregnant. The most concerning thing is that about two-three months ago my hair started falling out in clumps. Lets not even talk about my periods. I have always been very regular. 32 day cycle even off of the pill. I knew the exact day it was coming and it would only last 4 days and it was pretty light. After the IUD insertion.. FORGET ABOUT IT. I have only gotten my period 3 times in 6 months, which is NOT normal for me and when I did get it, it was HORRIBLE. Last month I bled for 15 days, and it was so heavy that I bled through my pants with an xtra super tampon.. not once, not twice but THREE times in three days. When I went to my dr today she agreed that the bleeding and random periods were an issue and not normal especially with how regular I was before.. but she told me that there was no way it caused the weight gain or hair loss or other bloated symptoms. How can these people be called Drs? We are putting a foreign substance in our bodies. Anyways, its been out for about 6 hours and I already feel better.

My question to all of you is.. when will all of the symptoms stop? Did any of you experience hair loss and weight gain and if so how long until it normalizes?
applejuice likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#602 of 651 Old 03-21-2015, 02:57 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Copper IUD and chronic thrush

I just thought it might be helpful to some of you to tell you about my chronic thrush and my copper IUD. I am 36 years old and have three children, and my husband and I do not plan to have any more. I have had two copper IUD's over the last five years. The first one I got removed as I believed it was causing me anxiety and acne. I had it removed and eventually felt better. Though after a few years and an unplanned pregnancy which resulted in a miscarriage, I was talked into getting a copper IUD by the doctor at the women's health clinic. The doctor assured me that my previous 'symptoms' were all unrelated to a copper IUD. I believed her, so in went the next one.

After a few months all seemed to be going well. I never experienced the heavy bleeding or pain that some women do, so I felt pretty lucky. However, I began getting thrush the week before my period... every single month. This was definitely unusual for me. I returned to the women's health clinic and told them about the thrush and suggested it might be from the IUD. They assured me that it was impossible. So the IUD stayed, and of course, so did the thrush. I was taking diflucan (oral medication) every month to rid myself of thrush. I had to buy it and keep it at home for when the symptoms appeared as if I didn't take it at the first signs of thrush, it would take days to clear. This was expensive and not good for my body. Anyway, I returned to the doctor and requested she remove the IUD due to the recurring thrush. The doctor and nurse would chuckle at me and my suspicions on the copper IUD. The doctor again talked me out of removing it, insisting that it is impossible for a hormone free IUD to cause thrush. Instead I had a variety of blood tests looking for all sorts of problems, such as diabetes. I changed my lifestyle and ate a healthy diet and even tried cutting out certain foods such as gluten, dairy and sugar. I even started jogging several times per week. Nothing worked! On my third trip to the doctor to request the IUD be removed (after 12 long months of chronic thrush) she told me it must be caused by stress and that I should exercise for at least an hour a day. My thrush was occurring more frequently now and wouldn't respond to the oral medication I was taking, so I had to start using a cream too. I increased my exercise and kept on taking the medication, and I still kept on getting thrush. A few months later, I paid the doctor another visit. This time I was desperate and I insisted that she take the IUD out. And guess what???? Six weeks later now and I have not a single thrush symptom! I emailed the women's heath clinic to let them know that I am finally cured. To be honest, I don't think they believe it was the IUD. That is why I'm sharing my story here with you, in the hope that it might help someone else understand that IUD's have more side effects than doctors believe.
applejuice likes this.
#603 of 651 Old 03-22-2015, 06:53 PM

MML5 and chookimunch,

Thanks for sharing your experience. It helps other women who are trying to figure out where their symptoms are coming from.

Excessive copper is dangerous and it baffles me that doctors don't say that! Not to mention the fact that estrogen tends to mirror your copper levels which makes this birth control method just like the pill or any other method that alters your estrogen levels.

A lot of doctors are so worried about women having unwanted pregnancies that they promote this evil device not caring that the damage these devices cause is long-term. Although it's been three years since mine was removed and I feel so much better, I am still dealing with mild symptoms. I thought maybe I had thyroid disease but my tests don't show anything of the sort. Does anyone else have lingering symptoms after so many years?
applejuice likes this.
#604 of 651 Old 04-14-2015, 09:49 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi Girls,

I am shocked when reading all your posts. I am a man. I observe for more than 3 years incredable changes of my wife. She has changed dramatically from one day to another without any rational explanation. The date of change according to my memory fits perfectly to the IUD insertion. The troubles you all describe are quite similar to what I observe with my wife.
Did some of you faced also exceptional interpersonal problems after the IUD insertion? Have you lost your relation or had a critical misunderstanding with your partners? Do you think it may be a consequence of IUD?

Please suggest
applejuice likes this.
#605 of 651 Old 04-17-2015, 09:26 AM

IUD Problems

I had ParaGard placed on 2/16/ 2011. I didn't have any side effects for a while, I though it was great. About 3 years ago I gained 50 lbs in the matter of couple of months. My weight kept increasing steadily till I gained another 30 lbs. Thats 80 lbs in 3 years!!! Right now it has stopped claiming for a bit. My weight gain is mostly in my upper body, especially belly area. My diet didn't change so I couldn't figure out what was going on. I didn't feel like myself, I was always tiered and still am. I been having back pain, heart palpitations, I have no motivation and sometimes I even have to sit down while cleaning the house because I feel like I'll faint. I would get dizzy and light headed from one minute to another. The other day I woke up with a horrible migraine, to the point where I fell like I was going to throw up from the pain. This has never happened to me before. I been tested for everything, did full blown blood work, everything came back normal and nobody could tell me why I was experiencing these symptoms.
Until last night, while talking to my mother, she suggested that maybe it might be form IUD. I told her it could't be because its non hormonal. After I hanged up, her comment stayed with me so I decided to google it. I was so surprised when I found this forum. Now it all make seance!!!
#606 of 651 Old 04-17-2015, 10:10 AM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk1 View Post
Hi Girls,

I am shocked when reading all your posts. I am a man. I observe for more than 3 years incredable changes of my wife. She has changed dramatically from one day to another without any rational explanation. The date of change according to my memory fits perfectly to the IUD insertion. The troubles you all describe are quite similar to what I observe with my wife.
Did some of you faced also exceptional interpersonal problems after the IUD insertion? Have you lost your relation or had a critical misunderstanding with your partners? Do you think it may be a consequence of IUD?

Please suggest
Hi Dirk, welcome! To answer your question in a nutshell: Absolutely, YES!!!

I had both the ParaGuard copper IUD, which caused horrifying bleeding and mood swings - and the Mirena, which just took longer to figure out how horrifying it was. My neighbor also had awful enough side effects from her IUD that she ended up on antidepressants. It was after talking with her about her plans to have it removed that I figured out the cause of my symptoms!

I was a total wreck: depressed, nasty-mean with the kids (waaay out of character for me), just manic. My husband thought I was losing my mind, and I even had suicidal ideations.

I had the IUD removed, and went on the Nuva Ring - just as bad. I was ok for a couple weeks of the month, but every period I'd feel like I was having a miscarriage: depressed, sobbing, grieving.

Anytime you mess with the body's hormone balance, you run into problems. Western doctors are quick to brush off any correlation, but it absolutely exists - and it can literally put a woman's life in danger, either from physiological changes (like cancers) or psychological changes (suicide).

I would advise your wife to have that awful contraption removed IMMEDIATELY, and find a non-hormonal, non-invasive method of birth control. Fertility Awareness Method is great, but must be adhered to strictly: www.tcoyf.com If you guys are sure you're done having babies, a vasectomy might be your best option. Either way, one of these is necessary to save your wife and your marriage. Good luck, and feel free to PM me if you or your wife have questions!!

Now a SAHM (yay!)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
with DS1, 9yo
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DS2, 6yo
DD1, 4yo
DD2, 1yo
& my awesome DH
And a baby BOY born Nov 17!
#607 of 651 Old 04-19-2015, 02:04 AM

Dirk1 Originally Posted by Dirk1 Hi Girls,

Please suggest

Wow you describe me 100%! I've had all of those interpersonal problems after the IUD insertion and unfortunately even after I've had it removed I'm still recovering. The anxiety is really bad almost to the point of daily xanax pills.
Please tell your wife to get it removed ASAP!
#608 of 651 Old 04-21-2015, 12:20 AM

I came here as a new member for answers and I have learned a lot from viewing threads and recommended readings. For that I am very grateful and would just like to share a short video followed with information about the after-effects of the mirena IUD. If only one person thinks this is useful I will feel great about sharing this detox information. I have since started to follow the advice and I am starting to feel a little more like my old self. Best of luck to all struggling with this. The information can be found at http://detoxscientific.com/mirena-weight-gain/. It talks about a lot more than weight gain if you're wondering.
#609 of 651 Old 06-09-2015, 07:54 AM

Do not use paragard!!

I am so happy I found this forum. I would like to warn everyone to PLEASE NOT USE PARAGARD!! Run the opposite way!! I only had it for two months and it was two months of hell. The first week I got it in I had horrible cramps and nonstop bleeding. Way more than "spotting." I could live with that but then the second week my whole body started to itch. From the top of my head down. Then I got this nasty post nasal drip that no doctor could figure out. They put me on prednisone!!! The itching continued to get worse. My head would itch nonstop and my ears would itch all the time. Then when my actual menstruation started it turned into full blown hives all over my body. Then I woke up one day later on my period and my lip was swelling up rapidly. Benadryl did not work (probably because the substance I am allergic to was still in my body) so I had to shoot myself with an epi pen. Then I woke up a day later and my eyes were completely swollen and in my lower back (almost exactly where my uterus would be on the front but in the back) I had a huge swollen red bump that was extremely painful. My tongue was swollen as well. I went one hour after that to get it removed, about ten hours later all the swelling was gone, and 24 hours later I feel 99% back to normal. Not to mention all the fatigue I had from this IUD -- I would wake up feeling exhausted. I had loud ringing in my ears. I had brain "fog" all the time - I felt slow and stupid. I was extremely bloated even though I was working out and eating healthy so I should have been losing weight. Today I finally woke up and felt like myself!! Even the bloating has gone down. I told the OBGYN that I most certainly have a copper or nickel (or both) allergy and she tried to tell me there was no metal in this so not "possible"?!? Bottom line - if you have sensitive skin usually you will probably have an allergy or reaction to this. I found some information online that sounds like I had a full blown allergy. It took me two months of hell to figure it out. DO NOT LISTEN TO YOUR OBGYN if they try to make you feel like you are crazy. She even told me after she took it out "well it looked fine in there." I'm sure. Do your own research. It is YOUR BODY! And get a new OBGYN if anyone tries to tell you otherwise!! I sure will!
quartersawnoak likes this.

Last edited by tebbie3; 06-09-2015 at 08:02 AM.
#610 of 651 Old 06-23-2015, 07:08 AM

The Side Effects are REAL

I'm so glad I found this thread!

I'm 35, and had the Paragard IUD for 13 months. I chose Paragard because I had spent 15+ years struggling with the negative side effects of hormonal birth control, so I thought this would be a good option for me. I could not have been more wrong!

Before the IUD, I was happy, healthy, fit, and trim. Since having the IUD inserted,(in addition to the insane cramps and heavy 10-day periods that are "normal" with the IUD) I have gained over 20 pounds, have developed anxiety attacks, feel lethargic and depressed, lost my sex drive, and have been diagnosed with hypothyroidism. I don't drink alcohol or smoke, my diet is healthy, and I exercise a lot (yoga, running, spinning, pilates - 5-6 days per week). I literally could not lose a single pound with the IUD - no matter what I did, I just kept gaining. I am now on medication for hypothyroidism, and Wellbutrin for my other symptoms, but nothing has helped.

I just had the IUD removed yesterday, and I know it sounds crazy, but I am already starting to feel better! My doctor told me that my symptoms and health problems were in NO WAY related to the IUD, and tried to convince me to keep it in. Ladies - please do NOT let your doctor do this to you. YOU know what's best for your body, not the capitalistic, money-driven American healthcare system. There are thousands of women that are experiencing these symptoms after IUD insertion, but no one is telling us about them! The corporations & doctors continue to deny that the side effects exist, and we continue to be sick and confused.

I am now starting the Fertility Awareness Method (FAM). It is an all-natural way to avoid pregnancy (and it is NOT the "Rhythm Method" of our mother's generation). I think it's ridiculous that all females are not taught about this method as soon as puberty hits. It should be part of sex ed classes. All women should be aware of their natural cycles and fertility signs. Relying on expensive drugs, hormones, and invasive devices are not the only options available to us for birth control. I wish I had known about FAM years ago - I could have saved myself a lot of misery. But most doctors know almost nothing about FAM - it's not taught in med school because it doesn't make anyone any money (it's free for life!).
#611 of 651 Old 09-16-2015, 09:23 AM

Hello all!
I am so surprised, excited and hopeful to have finally found this thread! I've only read the first and last few pages but already can say that so many of your experiences are EXACTLY like what I have been going through for the past 10 months!

By some really awesome chance & serendipity, I read an article yesterday about the HPV vaccine causing seizures, severe fatigue & lots of other hideous things that have destroyed the lives of the young women that have taken it!! Really horrible stuff. In that article, the mother mentioned that she had searched the web many times over 2 years of her daughter suffering looking for negative stories about the vaccine and only found the positive spin until she used the word "injury". Then she found numerous stories of other people with very negative reactions.

I have searched looking for severe anxiety & excessive bleeding caused by copper iud numerous times and have only found the standard medical websites saying that it was safe. What she said got me thinking & wouldn't you know that when I typed in copper iud INJURY, all of the sudden found numerous lists of countless women suffering from the same things I have been dealing with.....since 2008 even!!

Why are the web searches doing that?

Looking back in retrospect at what I have experienced in the past 5 months, I so very much wish that I had found all of this information then as it would have saved so much time and suffering......... not to mention use of anti-anxiety and anti-depressant medications.

In the 5 months following the insertion of that iud, I went from an independent, hard-working, active and happy middle aged woman who was enjoying life to a desperate creature suffering from severe and debilitating anxiety and depression who is at the moment completely dependent on the help of my loving family to make it through each day .

Tonight however, I am very hopeful for the first time since this all started and have an appointment tomorrow to get this damned thing taken out!!!
applejuice and sanusense like this.

-sadsmileyface

Last edited by smileysadface; 09-17-2015 at 06:24 AM. Reason: too long & overly detailed. want to shorten
#612 of 651 Old 09-17-2015, 07:02 AM

Here's my story:
I had considered getting a paraguard in 2011 when I first got separated & divorced, but had decided against it then and chose to wait until I actually got into a relationship again. My ex-husband had a vasectomy more that 20 years ago so birth control was not something that I had to think about. Fortunately, the man in my next relationship already had one as well.

In November of 2014, I met a new man (who didn't have a vasectomy) and it seemed like a good solution at the time to get an IUD as neither of us wanted to have children. The naturopath whom I had been seeing recommended it as a good option that would get me through the rest of my "reproductive years" and gave me advice on how to minimize cramping, etc.... during and after the procedure. She said that she had never seen any negative side affects from it and I trusted her opinion. At that time, I was tired from working hard but also super excited about the projects and plans that I had for the winter months and was generally in a positive mood.

The iud insertion all went really smoothly and everything seemed fine in November and early December. Even in December, I still felt like things were fine but looking back see that I was not handling stress as well as I normally do. At the time, I was chalking how I felt up to lots of things hitting at once: expensive vehicle repair, numerous deaths of dear friends, etc…

In January, the feeling like I wasn't handling stress well kept continuing & I was feeling negative about a lot of things. I've always been a pretty positive person, what friends call "stress proof", and am someone who deals with things in a very grounded fashion. Once again, I told myself that it was just that there was a lot going on: flu that held one a long time, unexpected changes in work schedule that made money a concern, etc..... and my period was definitely heavier and a few days longer than normal.

I early February, things started getting really weird. Instead of bleeding like I was supposed to, I only had one day of a small amount of very dark dried blood. I figured this was the spotting that they said might happen and didn't think much about it. THEN, three weeks later, the same dark brown dried blood happened for 4-5 days followed by over two weeks of extremely heavy flow which went into early March. I was also starting to feel more and more irritable and short tempered. During this time I was attending a sort of conference of old friends and colleagues who work in my same field. My schedule had not allowed me to make it to that conference for many years and I was excited to reconnect with a number of people; however, I found myself feeling very tired, withdrawn and detached and was having trouble engaging with people and instead of spending the evenings socializing found myself barely able to get through my workshops and crawling into bed early most every night! I see now that this was really my body telling me it hated the IUD

After only about 6 or 7 days of not bleeding in mid March, I once again started bleeding super heavily and it kept going for more that 2 weeks! I was at another conference when it started, once again feeling super super exhausted, barely able to handle stress and struggling to get through each. This is also the first time that I remember having difficulty making decisions which is something that got way worse later on. I was also dropping an incredible amount of weight really quickly and my hair was falling out a lot. Immediately after that second conference, I finally was able to see my naturopath and she was very concerned. She said that it was like my life energy was getting drained, gave me some herbs that would help slow or stop the bleeding, some others to help stress and told me to try to rest as much as I could. I asked her about the iud and she said to give it at least 3 or 4 more months and that it would all normalize.

I had obviously been feeling like I needed to rest and had been resting as much as possible while also adapting my future schedule to give me some time off. I travel a lot for work but realized that I needed to take a few months off to recuperate my energy and normal way of being.

Unfortunately, I didn't make it there. After seeing the naturopath, I went home and had two weeks where I didn't need to travel, but I was committed to help organize a big event at the end of the month along with a workshop the weekend before that sort of led up to it. My thoughts were that since I had two weeks to do what was really only 3-4 days worth of work, I would relax and sleep as much as possible and just keep the ball rolling. The main trouble was that I COUDN'T SLEEP! My mind was full of racing thoughts about the workshop and event and I found myself laying in bed wide awake; so I would get up and do some work on the computer. Even though I was super exhausted during the day, I would lay down to take a nap and find myself just laying there thinking.

I did prepare for the workshop (in a pretty confused state) AND hadn't slept for well over 9 or more days before it started. The workshop was a pretty interactive hands on thing in which the participants need a lot of technical and emotional support but I had called in a lot of volunteers and assistants who were there to help set up on Friday. One thing I clearly remember from that day is that I was very tired and having a lot of trouble making decisions and coming up with detailed guidance on what they should do. Another thing is that I started bleeding again super heavily.

Nonetheless, things went pretty well on Saturday and several assistants had previous experience and were super helpful, especially considering that chance would happen that I was also needing to simultaneously manage two other tasks for the event the following week. On Saturday night, I was feeling positive although very tired and went to bed hopeful that I might be able to sleep that night. I didn't and the next day sort of fell apart. We were exploring a topic that was fairly new, even to me, and none of my assistants had any previous experience and I felt like I was losing my ability to think. I had run through what I was demonstrating a few days before BUT COULD NOT REMEMBER most of it. What I did remember, I wasn't communicating very well. I felt like that morning demonstration had been a complete failure but we made it through the rest of the day doing more successful things and the students left satisfied.

I once again didn't sleep at all that night and woke up in the morning feeling extremely anxious and nervous and super exhausted. In doing my final pack-up, I realized a small mistake that had been made in one of the preparations that I had been managing and immediately felt like it was THE END OF THE WORLD, contacted my event co-organizers and told them about my fears and they responded that I sounded like I needed to rest and that it wasn't that big of a deal and that it was something that they could correct. This is when I realized that my anxieties were not really normal.

After another week of moving around, not sleeping or eating well, my mind racing with thoughts and memories that my anxieties would latch on to and fixate on, I ended up at my parents house and that next night experienced a huge amount on anxiety which felt like lightning bolts shooting through my chest and into my left eye across my left forehead area, as well as a general tingling sensation all over my head and a soreness behind my eyes. For the next few days my anxiety was so high that I was pacing around the room and my mother took me to see a doctor and psychologist who told me that I was experiencing a "breakdown" and that I had high levels of cortisol running through my brain. They tried several medications to make me sleep which I stopped taking because it felt like I was having a reaction to them because I was having a very difficult time swallowing and my mouth was super dry. I finally ended up with prescriptions to Ativan and Paxil. Unfortunately, I stated taking the Ativan first because it did help me sleep for a few days but after that it just made me feel like I was in a sort of dream. Everything felt very unreal and didn't make sense and they diagnosed me with GAD & depression. I really didn't want to take the Paxil which is an antidepressant and which my friends were telling me bad things about. In general, I was super agitated, super scared, unable to think or make decisions and barely getting through each day.

During this time, I also started seeing a chinese medicine practitioner who used herbs and acupuncture for several months. The herbs helped me sleep a little but other than that, not much was changing; so I finally broke down and started taking the Paxil and was able to stop taking the ativan. It took about 6 weeks but I finally did start to feel it. The biggest thing that happened is that things looked and felt less bleak and instead of being agitated and pacing around all the time, I am now more calm externally. Internally, however, I feel just as agitated and bad as before. I always have a huge tightness in my chest, I am anxious about everything, especially seeing people or talking to people that I know and think that I actually have SAD (Social Anxiety Disorder), and can barely make myself leave the house or communicate with friends, which I'm told is called agoraphobia.

My hair is falling out in fistfuls, my menstrual cycles are irregular, often very heavy, often with dry brown blood for days on end and sometimes with an extremely foul odor. My urine has an extremely strong smell to it, I am often constipated, my mind races constantly and I barely sleep (no more than 2-3 hours per night) and what sleep I do get is fitful. In the past month I have started having some dreams which I am remembering because they wake me up. I am super exhausted most of the time but when I try to rest find myself in this type of place of semi-consciousness. My mouth is always dry, I often have difficulty swallowing and I am gaining weight. My vision had deteriorated rapidly and most things are a little blurry, my eyes are often dry, bloodshot & itchy, the connective tissue in my eyes seems thick and yellowish. I always have a slight headache, there is constant tinnitus ringing in my ears along with this sort of melody that changes words and tempo but is always similar in some way. My nails have ridges in them, I have lots of twitching and restless leg syndrome especially at night. I have a really hard time focusing on things and retaining thoughts. The list goes on and on but just in general, It feels like my body is falling apart!

My business of 23 years doing hands-on educational programs for kids that was flourishing is now hanging by a thread because I have had to cancel all of my scheduled programs and events and if it were not for the support of my loving family, I have no idea where I would be now.

I got the iud out and am reading up on how to start a detox program.
Any suggestions?

I would so very much love to have some semblance of my old life back. I would also so very much love it if it isn't just what they have been telling my for the past 5 months......"there must have been something in my mindset that set this off" or that "I must not have been happy with what I was doing and this was how my body was telling me that it needed a change".

My body was telling me something..... that it wanted that piece of copper out!
applejuice and melsthrifty like this.

-sadsmileyface

#613 of 651 Old 09-18-2015, 03:30 PM

www.iudclassaction.com

Have any of you seen this website? iudclassaction.com Nice to see someone doing something about this on a larger scale. We should ALL send in our experiences! I am going to send my letter this weekend.
melsthrifty likes this.
#614 of 651 Old 09-20-2015, 08:46 AM

I have the copper IUD have have gained weight since having it inserted. It has been about a year and I have jumped 1-2 sizes. I didn't think about any correlation there. Thanks for bringing this up. Have you had other problems with it? I have an appointment tomorrow to discuss problems
ajdoorly likes this.
#615 of 651 Old 11-06-2015, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smileysadface View Post
Here's my story:
I had considered getting a paraguard in 2011 when I first got separated & divorced, but had decided against it then and chose to wait until I actually got into a relationship again. My ex-husband had a vasectomy more that 20 years ago so birth control was not something that I had to think about. Fortunately, the man in my next relationship already had one as well.

In November of 2014, I met a new man (who didn't have a vasectomy) and it seemed like a good solution at the time to get an IUD as neither of us wanted to have children. The naturopath whom I had been seeing recommended it as a good option that would get me through the rest of my "reproductive years" and gave me advice on how to minimize cramping, etc.... during and after the procedure. She said that she had never seen any negative side affects from it and I trusted her opinion. At that time, I was tired from working hard but also super excited about the projects and plans that I had for the winter months and was generally in a positive mood.

The iud insertion all went really smoothly and everything seemed fine in November and early December. Even in December, I still felt like things were fine but looking back see that I was not handling stress as well as I normally do. At the time, I was chalking how I felt up to lots of things hitting at once: expensive vehicle repair, numerous deaths of dear friends, etc…

In January, the feeling like I wasn't handling stress well kept continuing & I was feeling negative about a lot of things. I've always been a pretty positive person, what friends call "stress proof", and am someone who deals with things in a very grounded fashion. Once again, I told myself that it was just that there was a lot going on: flu that held one a long time, unexpected changes in work schedule that made money a concern, etc..... and my period was definitely heavier and a few days longer than normal.

I early February, things started getting really weird. Instead of bleeding like I was supposed to, I only had one day of a small amount of very dark dried blood. I figured this was the spotting that they said might happen and didn't think much about it. THEN, three weeks later, the same dark brown dried blood happened for 4-5 days followed by over two weeks of extremely heavy flow which went into early March. I was also starting to feel more and more irritable and short tempered. During this time I was attending a sort of conference of old friends and colleagues who work in my same field. My schedule had not allowed me to make it to that conference for many years and I was excited to reconnect with a number of people; however, I found myself feeling very tired, withdrawn and detached and was having trouble engaging with people and instead of spending the evenings socializing found myself barely able to get through my workshops and crawling into bed early most every night! I see now that this was really my body telling me it hated the IUD

After only about 6 or 7 days of not bleeding in mid March, I once again started bleeding super heavily and it kept going for more that 2 weeks! I was at another conference when it started, once again feeling super super exhausted, barely able to handle stress and struggling to get through each. This is also the first time that I remember having difficulty making decisions which is something that got way worse later on. I was also dropping an incredible amount of weight really quickly and my hair was falling out a lot. Immediately after that second conference, I finally was able to see my naturopath and she was very concerned. She said that it was like my life energy was getting drained, gave me some herbs that would help slow or stop the bleeding, some others to help stress and told me to try to rest as much as I could. I asked her about the iud and she said to give it at least 3 or 4 more months and that it would all normalize.

I had obviously been feeling like I needed to rest and had been resting as much as possible while also adapting my future schedule to give me some time off. I travel a lot for work but realized that I needed to take a few months off to recuperate my energy and normal way of being.

Unfortunately, I didn't make it there. After seeing the naturopath, I went home and had two weeks where I didn't need to travel, but I was committed to help organize a big event at the end of the month along with a workshop the weekend before that sort of led up to it. My thoughts were that since I had two weeks to do what was really only 3-4 days worth of work, I would relax and sleep as much as possible and just keep the ball rolling. The main trouble was that I COUDN'T SLEEP! My mind was full of racing thoughts about the workshop and event and I found myself laying in bed wide awake; so I would get up and do some work on the computer. Even though I was super exhausted during the day, I would lay down to take a nap and find myself just laying there thinking.

I did prepare for the workshop (in a pretty confused state) AND hadn't slept for well over 9 or more days before it started. The workshop was a pretty interactive hands on thing in which the participants need a lot of technical and emotional support but I had called in a lot of volunteers and assistants who were there to help set up on Friday. One thing I clearly remember from that day is that I was very tired and having a lot of trouble making decisions and coming up with detailed guidance on what they should do. Another thing is that I started bleeding again super heavily.

Nonetheless, things went pretty well on Saturday and several assistants had previous experience and were super helpful, especially considering that chance would happen that I was also needing to simultaneously manage two other tasks for the event the following week. On Saturday night, I was feeling positive although very tired and went to bed hopeful that I might be able to sleep that night. I didn't and the next day sort of fell apart. We were exploring a topic that was fairly new, even to me, and none of my assistants had any previous experience and I felt like I was losing my ability to think. I had run through what I was demonstrating a few days before BUT COULD NOT REMEMBER most of it. What I did remember, I wasn't communicating very well. I felt like that morning demonstration had been a complete failure but we made it through the rest of the day doing more successful things and the students left satisfied.

I once again didn't sleep at all that night and woke up in the morning feeling extremely anxious and nervous and super exhausted. In doing my final pack-up, I realized a small mistake that had been made in one of the preparations that I had been managing and immediately felt like it was THE END OF THE WORLD, contacted my event co-organizers and told them about my fears and they responded that I sounded like I needed to rest and that it wasn't that big of a deal and that it was something that they could correct. This is when I realized that my anxieties were not really normal.

After another week of moving around, not sleeping or eating well, my mind racing with thoughts and memories that my anxieties would latch on to and fixate on, I ended up at my parents house and that next night experienced a huge amount on anxiety which felt like lightning bolts shooting through my chest and into my left eye across my left forehead area, as well as a general tingling sensation all over my head and a soreness behind my eyes. For the next few days my anxiety was so high that I was pacing around the room and my mother took me to see a doctor and psychologist who told me that I was experiencing a "breakdown" and that I had high levels of cortisol running through my brain. They tried several medications to make me sleep which I stopped taking because it felt like I was having a reaction to them because I was having a very difficult time swallowing and my mouth was super dry. I finally ended up with prescriptions to Ativan and Paxil. Unfortunately, I stated taking the Ativan first because it did help me sleep for a few days but after that it just made me feel like I was in a sort of dream. Everything felt very unreal and didn't make sense and they diagnosed me with GAD & depression. I really didn't want to take the Paxil which is an antidepressant and which my friends were telling me bad things about. In general, I was super agitated, super scared, unable to think or make decisions and barely getting through each day.

During this time, I also started seeing a chinese medicine practitioner who used herbs and acupuncture for several months. The herbs helped me sleep a little but other than that, not much was changing; so I finally broke down and started taking the Paxil and was able to stop taking the ativan. It took about 6 weeks but I finally did start to feel it. The biggest thing that happened is that things looked and felt less bleak and instead of being agitated and pacing around all the time, I am now more calm externally. Internally, however, I feel just as agitated and bad as before. I always have a huge tightness in my chest, I am anxious about everything, especially seeing people or talking to people that I know and think that I actually have SAD (Social Anxiety Disorder), and can barely make myself leave the house or communicate with friends, which I'm told is called agoraphobia.

My hair is falling out in fistfuls, my menstrual cycles are irregular, often very heavy, often with dry brown blood for days on end and sometimes with an extremely foul odor. My urine has an extremely strong smell to it, I am often constipated, my mind races constantly and I barely sleep (no more than 2-3 hours per night) and what sleep I do get is fitful. In the past month I have started having some dreams which I am remembering because they wake me up. I am super exhausted most of the time but when I try to rest find myself in this type of place of semi-consciousness. My mouth is always dry, I often have difficulty swallowing and I am gaining weight. My vision had deteriorated rapidly and most things are a little blurry, my eyes are often dry, bloodshot & itchy, the connective tissue in my eyes seems thick and yellowish. I always have a slight headache, there is constant tinnitus ringing in my ears along with this sort of melody that changes words and tempo but is always similar in some way. My nails have ridges in them, I have lots of twitching and restless leg syndrome especially at night. I have a really hard time focusing on things and retaining thoughts. The list goes on and on but just in general, It feels like my body is falling apart!

My business of 23 years doing hands-on educational programs for kids that was flourishing is now hanging by a thread because I have had to cancel all of my scheduled programs and events and if it were not for the support of my loving family, I have no idea where I would be now.

I got the iud out and am reading up on how to start a detox program.
Any suggestions?

I would so very much love to have some semblance of my old life back. I would also so very much love it if it isn't just what they have been telling my for the past 5 months......"there must have been something in my mindset that set this off" or that "I must not have been happy with what I was doing and this was how my body was telling me that it needed a change".

My body was telling me something..... that it wanted that piece of copper out!

HOLY CRAP!!!!! I could have written most of this! I was literally crying as I read this! I Just had mine removed too (3 days ago) I've been reading on how to detox myself and hope to look into some good suggestions. I do know based on my bloodwork that I DO have a copper/Zinc imbalance, Low Iron & other things all brought on by the IUD. I am SO happy to know I was not the only one experiencing such EXTREME symptoms! I didn't know what I was going to do before I had the thing removed...It got so bad I was having suicidal thoughts and my life is GREAT! so crazy what this can do and how it can DESTROY lives, health & your looks. Makes me so angry!
#616 of 651 Old 11-06-2015, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annmartina View Post
How about hot flashes? I got the copper IUD two weeks ago and have been frequently feeling suddenly flushed and overheated in rooms that are a comfortable temperature. I'm 24 so I'm pretty far out from menopause . . . can the IUD cause that, or could it be related to another IUD symptom (like anxiety)???

Also, I've felt like I need to pee more frequently, just like being pregnant. Anyone else feel like that with an IUD?

Yes! I began having very frequent hot flashes & also needing to pee more often then ever! I just had mine removed and hoping all the awful side effects will subside quickly.
#617 of 651 Old 11-06-2015, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by birthmommom View Post
ok this is a facinating thread.

I too have a copper IUD and have had very heavy periods where i loose blood clots, I have recently been extremely tired. and have a few signs of hypothyroidism...could it be my IUD?

I'm sorry I keep posting to these... I know this post is VERY old but for anyone out there (like me) just now reading all of this. I wanted to answer this question by saying YES... Hypothyroidism and symptoms can most definitely come from the copper IUID. Hypothyroidism is associated with elevated copper in tissue. In fact, the copper/zinc imbalance that the IUD causes leads to more problems than I could ever list on this post. It is horrifying! I have suffered SO many of them and thought I was dying of cancer! Google Copper Toxicity/Copper & Zinc imbalance & it will shock you with the list of awful symptoms this can cause. It may take longer to arise in some people but for me I started noticing symptoms very soon after my insertion and about 6-9 months later I thought I was dying & would end up in a mental hospital! That is how bad it got... I am so thankful I had this removed. I will be updating my progress.
#618 of 651 Old 11-08-2015, 11:33 PM

Just wanted to share my experience with paragard. I had it for about 4 years and took it out myself about week or two ago. I didn't go to my gyro because I was traumatized by my last experience when she accidentally pulled it out during colposcopy. It was one of the most painful experiences I ever had, both during, and couple of week to follow, plus enormous amount of blood I lost. Taking it out slowly myself was almost pain free. The next day I already felt less spaced out and no more foggy brain, and my concentration improved. My hair and skin got softer. My energy level increased. Still hoping for my acne to disappear, and hair grow back, since I lost almost half off my original volume. I wish I listened to my primary doctor, and took it out earlier. I feel like I lost so much time in college, always tired, sleepy, and unable to concentrate. I never attributed to my iud. My primary doctor mentioned that my stomach problems and weight lost might be due to paragard, but I didn't want to take it out, since there is no better alternative of BC. I did consider that it might cause my acne and hair loss, but not my constant brain fog, concentration and memory problems, in particular during PMS and period. I couldn't get up from my bed, I was miserable, constant migraines. I would get periods sometimes two weeks long, that caused anemia. Pain before, during, and after, that no over counter meds would alleviate. I am still expecting my period that should start any day now, and I don't have any of those symptoms. Everyone is different, and paragard did not work for me, maybe because I am petite (95lb). Taking my multivitamins and zinc supplements and hoping to eliminate all of the excess copper to get back to normal.
#619 of 651 Old 11-29-2015, 10:31 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Hello! I am also so very grateful to find this thread. I have had Paragard for almost a year and just within the past three months have really been feeling bad symptoms.
I feel severe anxiety with rapid heart beat. It's like I'm constantly on the verge of a panic attack. I am fatigued and depressed. I have two toddlers (2.5 and 15 months) and caring for them has become so difficult. We just had Thanksgiving at my sister in laws and I'm sure all my in laws think I'm completely wacko.
I had an appointment two weeks ago to have the i.u.d. removed, but the doctor could not find the strings and said I would have to have it surgically removed. I have an appointment with a second doctor next Tuesday, for a second opinion and I've been wanting to change docs for a while anyway. I have my period now and have read that sometimes the strings will come down during period. My hope is that by Tuesday the new doctor will find the strings and get this thing out of me!!
It is so hard to stay calm and get through each day in this condition. I already have a psychiatric appointment lined up for two weeks from now, I need some help to get through life if this anxiety/depression isn't relieved from the removal of this i.u.d.

My 2 1/2 year old has been climbing all over me as I write this so I hope this all makes sense!

Thanks!
Emily
#620 of 651 Old 11-29-2015, 11:19 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I had the Paragard for 6 years. It was great. I didn't experience side effects that I am aware of (I did develop an autoimmune condition on my arms (prurigo nodularis) but I do not think it was related to the Paragard, although, who knows? I do suffer from depression but I have always had that condition even before the IUD.

I will warn you that I got pregnant with the Paragard. I had implantation bleeding but the pregnancy expired quickly after implantation. I then had the Paragard removed.

I would recommend Paragard but if you have a very active sex life and and want to avoid a situation such as mine, you may want to use a backup BC.

ETA: I did gain 50 pounds since having the Paragard put in-- I have never thought it could be due to that. I thought it was due to my depression medication. But come to think of it, the weight gain started after getting the IUD. I don't know.

Last edited by larali; 11-29-2015 at 11:23 AM.
#621 of 651 Old 11-29-2015, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmSa View Post
Hello! I am also so very grateful to find this thread. I have had Paragard for almost a year and just within the past three months have really been feeling bad symptoms.
I feel severe anxiety with rapid heart beat. It's like I'm constantly on the verge of a panic attack. I am fatigued and depressed. I have two toddlers (2.5 and 15 months) and caring for them has become so difficult. We just had Thanksgiving at my sister in laws and I'm sure all my in laws think I'm completely wacko.
I had an appointment two weeks ago to have the i.u.d. removed, but the doctor could not find the strings and said I would have to have it surgically removed. I have an appointment with a second doctor next Tuesday, for a second opinion and I've been wanting to change docs for a while anyway. I have my period now and have read that sometimes the strings will come down during period. My hope is that by Tuesday the new doctor will find the strings and get this thing out of me!!
It is so hard to stay calm and get through each day in this condition. I already have a psychiatric appointment lined up for two weeks from now, I need some help to get through life if this anxiety/depression isn't relieved from the removal of this i.u.d.

My 2 1/2 year old has been climbing all over me as I write this so I hope this all makes sense!

Thanks!
Emily
Hi Emily,
So glad you found this thread as well. When I found it 2 months ago I literally felt like it was saving my life. Got the Paragard IUD out the next morning and have been getting better and better ever since Hold in there a little longer as I can assure you from experience that it is all about to start getting better for you as well.... and very quickly. We just have to figure out how to get it out of you!! ASAP and as safely as possible.

Are you on facebook? There is an awesome support group there called ID Side Effects Paragard & Mirena
There are now 3500 women there all going through the same things and sharing tons & tons of experiences. I am helping admin it now and it has grown by over 1000 members since I found it two months ago. There have been lots of stories recently from women who couldn't find their strings and who have had them successfully removed.... mostly with very few problems. If you share what you are going through right now, I'm sure some of them will chime in with great advice & support. You can also go to my profile "Tamara Wilder" and read my story and all the things that I have been finding out starting on Sept 23.

I have also started a new facebook page called IUD Awareness and am just about to launch a new website call iudawareness.org. I don't have enough posts here to be able to post the actual links, but you should be able to find them.
Please let me know if you have any trouble.

Remember you are not crazy!!! When you go to your psychiatric appointment, please stress to them that you likely have copper toxicity and do not need to be taking any drugs. I got my hair test back and it says that I have hidden copper in my tissues, which I am now working on releasing, balancing and detoxing in a healthy way. Feels like it is working! I have also tapered down to only taking 10mg of Paxil each day. Before I was on Ativan and 40 mg of Paxil, but they were not helping at all. Now that the copper is gone, I don't need any of it anymore Am hoping to do the final drop off Paxil very soon.

I have to do something for a bit but will try to get back online later today with what I have been doing to detox & balance.
Great to meet you
-Tamara

PS What state do you live in? I'm in Northern CA and have some recommendations for great practitioners here if you happen to be close.

-sadsmileyface

#622 of 651 Old 12-01-2015, 05:49 AM

I've had a copper spiral for 10 years and I didn't notice very big problems.
I knew it had to be replaced after 10 years (according to my Dr), so recently I went to the docter. I wasn't sure I wanted it again, but my Dr convinced me: "what else would you take?" (I don't want hormones.)
Since I have my new copper spiral (1 month now), I have swollen eyelids every morning. I've had swollen eyelids in the past, but it was not every day. Moreover, lately I never had swollen eyelids anymore as in a book about food and the female cycle (Woman code), I found out that by not eating certain food at certain moments in your cycle, you can reduce swollen eyelids. This worked for me!
Now however, since the new IUD, I have swollen eyelids every day. Thanks to the info on this forum, I started to look deeper and found a very interesting article. Unfortunately I couldn't upload it, but it is on a website on "metabolichealing"; birth-control-copper-toxicity-estrogen-excess.

Copper and estrogen are indeed linked, and according to the book Woman code, I have symptoms of estrogen excess.
I also wonder whether my bloated belly is perhaps related to the IUD, and not (just) to ageing. I think I'll have the IUD removed.
thanks for your stories! It was a great help
EmSa likes this.
#623 of 651 Old 12-01-2015, 07:16 AM

I, like most of you, was researching the copper IUD and the side effects of it, when I stumbled upon this thread, that seems to still be going. This is the first thread I've actually decided was worth joining regarding the issue.

A little history of myself After my last child I decided that I wanted to keep my options open but wanted a little more security so I chose the copper IUD. I chose the copper IUD because of the lack of hormones, hormone birth control doesn't work great with me, it makes me have my period 24/7, all month long, and it's just awful, I've tried, different pills, different, levels, the shot and well, I'm afraid anything else, the patch, the nuvaring, the mirena, would cause the same side effects for me so I opted for something that I knew wouldn't cause these side effects.

Here I am... with side effects. I've been trying to convince myself I'm not crazy for almost a year and a half now. Trying to convince myself that these are REALLY symptoms and that this is REALLY happening and that I REALLY do need to go to that appointment tomorrow afternoon and have this thing removed. Because right now I feel like I'm just making excuses but I've been going back and forth with myself on the removal since I got it. And it's taken this long for me to request an appointment for the removal of it.

At first, my hair started to shed A LOT..like handfuls at a time, I could be taking a shower and run my fingers through my hair and it would just all start coming out, my husband would wake up with hair all over him and he would remark about how much more my hair was every where...

And then I had my first period while I was on it, I thought "this isn't so bad" because it was very light bleeding the first day and then the second day, but the third day hit and it was awful, just pouring out blood, I couldn't keep a pad on long enough to change one, I was changing it every few minutes, maybe 3-4 times in an hour and this is still how it goes every single month, 1-2 days a week during my period it's just heavy and i'm consistently changing my pads. I can't wear a tampon because I would be changing it even more often.

And that's not all, I'm always extremely tired, always have to go pee even if I don't need to go pee, I am always aware of the IUD in my uterus, I have hot flashes, and my PMS symptoms are much more worse than normal, I'm always sick the week before my period, like physically sick, some times I can barely get out of bed, I even have to call in sick at some point because of how sick I am, I will get head aches so bad that I can barely lift my head.

I've been researching symptoms for over a year but most of the time people say it can't be related to the IUD, like my late period, my period from June 2014-August 2014 was right on time and i've always had a period that was right on time... ever since I've started my period, but I started late in September, missed it in October- 2 months after the IUD insertion and ever since then my period has been any where from 30 days to 50 days , but that's not all thats happened in that time period, October 2014-December 2014... I gained 50 pounds.... FIFTY POUNDS... After each child, I lost weight, I may not have went down to pre pregnancy weight but i lost some weight...but I haven't ever been this big. The catch is, I couldn't lose it, no matter how much I dieted, starved myself, exercised, I couldn't lose it, I finally was prescribed diet medication to lose the weight and did blood work to make sure it wasn't my thyroids or any other underlying issues and they all came back fine..except Vitamin D, I'm deficient and read that the estrogen dominance can cause that.

That is what lead me to get my IUD appointment for removal scheduled for tomorrow. Yet, I'm still debating it. I need to get it removed...but I'm afraid to.
#624 of 651 Old 12-01-2015, 07:21 AM

I wouldn't be surprised! All birth control is very hit or miss in terms of how it will affect your body. Though it's interesting that this happened with the copper IUD as I hear most complications are as a result of the hormonal ones?
#625 of 651 Old 12-04-2015, 12:28 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hesmyhart View Post
I, like most of you, was researching the copper IUD and the side effects of it, when I stumbled upon this thread, that seems to still be going. This is the first thread I've actually decided was worth joining regarding the issue.

A little history of myself After my last child I decided that I wanted to keep my options open but wanted a little more security so I chose the copper IUD. I chose the copper IUD because of the lack of hormones, hormone birth control doesn't work great with me, it makes me have my period 24/7, all month long, and it's just awful, I've tried, different pills, different, levels, the shot and well, I'm afraid anything else, the patch, the nuvaring, the mirena, would cause the same side effects for me so I opted for something that I knew wouldn't cause these side effects.

Here I am... with side effects. I've been trying to convince myself I'm not crazy for almost a year and a half now. Trying to convince myself that these are REALLY symptoms and that this is REALLY happening and that I REALLY do need to go to that appointment tomorrow afternoon and have this thing removed. Because right now I feel like I'm just making excuses but I've been going back and forth with myself on the removal since I got it. And it's taken this long for me to request an appointment for the removal of it.

At first, my hair started to shed A LOT..like handfuls at a time, I could be taking a shower and run my fingers through my hair and it would just all start coming out, my husband would wake up with hair all over him and he would remark about how much more my hair was every where...

And then I had my first period while I was on it, I thought "this isn't so bad" because it was very light bleeding the first day and then the second day, but the third day hit and it was awful, just pouring out blood, I couldn't keep a pad on long enough to change one, I was changing it every few minutes, maybe 3-4 times in an hour and this is still how it goes every single month, 1-2 days a week during my period it's just heavy and i'm consistently changing my pads. I can't wear a tampon because I would be changing it even more often.

And that's not all, I'm always extremely tired, always have to go pee even if I don't need to go pee, I am always aware of the IUD in my uterus, I have hot flashes, and my PMS symptoms are much more worse than normal, I'm always sick the week before my period, like physically sick, some times I can barely get out of bed, I even have to call in sick at some point because of how sick I am, I will get head aches so bad that I can barely lift my head.

I've been researching symptoms for over a year but most of the time people say it can't be related to the IUD, like my late period, my period from June 2014-August 2014 was right on time and i've always had a period that was right on time... ever since I've started my period, but I started late in September, missed it in October- 2 months after the IUD insertion and ever since then my period has been any where from 30 days to 50 days , but that's not all thats happened in that time period, October 2014-December 2014... I gained 50 pounds.... FIFTY POUNDS... After each child, I lost weight, I may not have went down to pre pregnancy weight but i lost some weight...but I haven't ever been this big. The catch is, I couldn't lose it, no matter how much I dieted, starved myself, exercised, I couldn't lose it, I finally was prescribed diet medication to lose the weight and did blood work to make sure it wasn't my thyroids or any other underlying issues and they all came back fine..except Vitamin D, I'm deficient and read that the estrogen dominance can cause that.

That is what lead me to get my IUD appointment for removal scheduled for tomorrow. Yet, I'm still debating it. I need to get it removed...but I'm afraid to.
@hesmyhart ,
Did you decide to get it removed?! I got mine out 3 days ago. I also was unsure if what I was feeling was really happening and that it could be from the copper. Now that it's out, I know for certain it was the iud! I feel more like myself already and my body just feels relieved for that foreign object to be out. The more I read about the effects of copper iuds, the more horrified I am that I put that in my body. I'm grateful to have had it removed.

How are you feeling?
hesmyhart likes this.
#626 of 651 Old 12-05-2015, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmSa View Post
@hesmyhart ,
Did you decide to get it removed?! I got mine out 3 days ago. I also was unsure if what I was feeling was really happening and that it could be from the copper. Now that it's out, I know for certain it was the iud! I feel more like myself already and my body just feels relieved for that foreign object to be out. The more I read about the effects of copper iuds, the more horrified I am that I put that in my body. I'm grateful to have had it removed.

How are you feeling?
I did get it taken out! I decided that it was the best choice for me because it wasn't worth keeping in and making me feel sick.I now feel like I don't have something my uterus all the time, like I couldn't even describe the feeling, it wasn't because I knew it was there, it was because I could feel it in there, I could feel something foreign was in my uterus and it did not like being in there, my uterus was always hard like I was pregnant. I can now exercise without it making me cramp up and hurt. My period came the very next day and it's right on the 28 day mark, right on time first the first time in a year and 4 months since I've had the IUD in. I feel more energetic and just way better at this point. Though, my doctor tried to tell me that I was crazy to think that any of these side effects could be from the IUD...I ignored her and explained I don't want it.

I chose the diaphragm and spermicide for my birth control method since I can't use hormones. And well, my insurance is supposed to cover BOTH under the PPACA and are refusing to do so. It's such a mess.
#627 of 651 Old 01-08-2016, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by melsthrifty View Post
HOLY CRAP!!!!! I could have written most of this! I was literally crying as I read this! I Just had mine removed too (3 days ago) I've been reading on how to detox myself and hope to look into some good suggestions. I do know based on my bloodwork that I DO have a copper/Zinc imbalance, Low Iron & other things all brought on by the IUD. I am SO happy to know I was not the only one experiencing such EXTREME symptoms! I didn't know what I was going to do before I had the thing removed...It got so bad I was having suicidal thoughts and my life is GREAT! so crazy what this can do and how it can DESTROY lives, health & your looks. Makes me so angry!
It's heartbreaking to hear you all share your symptoms and struggles with the IUD and copper. For anyone wondering if your symptoms are related to the IUD - chances are very likely, YES! Anxiety, depression, insomnia, crazy thoughts, weight gain, hypothyroidism, fatigue, acne, social or relationship withdrawal, severe PMS, hair loss...these are all common symptoms as bio-unavailable copper accumulates in the body. Estrogen dominance and the copper IUD are two major factors. A condition of both copper toxicity and copper deficiency is created at the same time, along with corresponding symptoms. You will find a lot of answers to what you're experiencing at coppertoxic dot com (sorry, it won't let me post the actual link).
#628 of 651 Old 01-19-2016, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musician31 View Post

Oh, and I track everything in the Pink Pad ap. It's great to know when ovulation occurs & when your period will be. The longer you use it, the better it tracks. It's a great help to track mood & symptoms. I did this for 5 months & when I went to the doctor with all that to back me up, we knew something was wrong, even though we don't know what.

Oh, and that smell is GONE!

Hi Lilly bean, I had the Gynefix too and experience this constant pain where my ovary is - ultrasound, blood work, exams, constant worry later I got the IUD out 6 weeks ago and still am experiencing the pain (maybe less some days) - since your thread is from a few years ago...are you back to feeling normal? I have a CT scan coming up as well just to make sure (the daily pain worries me) , but i have a feeling its all cause of the gynefix (i had it in for almost 2 years, but symptoms of hip/knee/pelvic pain started a year in slowly then gradually daily!)
#629 of 651 Old 01-21-2016, 04:45 AM

Hi all. I had the copper iud fitted 2years ago, was great at first, unfortunately I started to feel not well 8-12 months after, having all the symptoms like many on here describe, main ones for which I went to gp for was hair loss and tired/brain fog couldn't think straight, things where becoming increasingly difficult and felt like something was not right! Anyway went to gp who ran bloods and came back that my thyroid was struggling and my tsh was 7.5, gp not too concerned said to come back again may jus be a one off. So went back 12mths after feeling dreadful all that time, bloods repeated this time tsh had got worse 8.3, I was given levothyroxine 25mg. I decided not to start the Levo after finding this forum, I felt the iud may be causing my problems it felt such a relief after reading all the posts and researching copper toxicity it all fits into place. I'm also vegetarain and have been from young age. So after that blood test I went straight and had iud removed. It has been 3mth now and have gradually been feeling better less pmt brain fog has got better my hair loss has slowed down and nearly stopped less fatigue etc, however last week I went back to have bloods repeated and my tsh has not improved now 8.9. I was extremely disappointed with this. Has anyone one here had any experience with subclinical hypothyroidism as a result of copper toxicity? Would be grateful of any advice as I wonder whether I'm doin the right things. When I had the out removed I decided to started eating meat again have been taking zinc supplements and vit c which can help remove excess copper. I wonder whether i went for the last blood test to soon? It's was 3mth post removal, but expected to see some improvement. Any help advice would be great, me and my partner would love to start trying for another baby but with a tsh that high it can cause harm to the baby but my gp refused a referall to a consultant (against guidelines!). I have another gp appt next week so see how that goes!
#630 of 651 Old 01-28-2016, 07:53 PM

Most gps who don't understand the nature of copper toxicity or how to properly detox from it unfortunately still resort to using blood tests. Blood tests are extremely misleading as they only look at the circulating level of copper, and completely ignore the level of stored copper. Now that your IUD is removed, and you're back on a meat diet (well done!) your blood test is likely to show a relatively normal level of copper, because your direct source of the copper has been removed. What you need to have done is a Hair Tissue Mineral Analysis which will identify the extent of your copper toxicity, as well as the various mineral ratios that need to be looked at to correctly address the problem. Most gps don't understand what happens to minerals as you begin to detox. As your copper is released (thanks to the zinc and Vitamin C), it is natural for your potassium level to drop, and your calcium level to rise. The ratio between calcium and potassium is known as the thyroid ratio. Calcium slows down the thyroid, while potassium speeds it up. This high Ca/K ratio will directly contribute to hypothyroidism, which is very common among copper toxic individuals, especially pre-burnout. I hope this offers you a little more clarity. Also, there's a lot of great info and further resources at coppertoxic dot com.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page