Mom and infant yoga video recommendations? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 04-02-2002, 05:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Do any of you have any recommendations for a good video for moms and infants? My dd is 7 weeks old and I'd love to get back into my yoga practice -- but as an attachment parent, I'd like to incorporate her into the routine. What do you think?
#2 of 14 Old 04-03-2002, 03:20 PM

I can't remember the titles, but I know I have seen a mom and baby yoga video at www.amazon.com. When she gets too old for that you could try Yoga Kids, my two like that one.
#3 of 14 Old 04-05-2002, 04:01 PM

www.amazon.com under VHS search for Colette Crawford Postnatal Yoga. She is a great woman & teacher.
#4 of 14 Old 04-21-2002, 09:33 PM

The Method Baby & Mom post Natal Yoga with Gurmukh Khalsa, avaiilable at Amazon.com. It's kundalini yoga, a live shoot of a class...absolute chaos with moms and babies all over the place. It's great! I used to get all stressed out when kids interrupted my yoga practice, but after watching these moms deal with their babies in the middle of a class (nursing, crying, whatever) I have a new attitude. As I recall, you start by doing some yoga with your baby laying on the floor, then gradually incorporate them into the practice. Towards the end you massage them and focus exclusively on them. BTW, kundalini yoga looks alot different then some other types -- it looks a bit like calesthenics interspersed with meditation. Gurmukh's focus is on reclaiming your navel center, which is the power center of your body. So expect *alot* of belly work!

Things I've read and heard indicate that you should wait until 2 mos. postpartum to resume practice, although I think it depends on how quickly you heal/stop bleeding/etc. (which took seemingly forever with dd#2).
#5 of 14 Old 04-28-2002, 12:44 PM

hi queen gwen,

i have been a regular at gurmukh's mommy and me class out here in los angeles for a couple years - and it's exactly like the video. total chaos and absolutely great! mums nursing, babes crying, sleeping crawling whatever. they've now started one for walkers - haven't been able to get to it yet, but want to so bad. i have a 2 year old, and she's come with me to the prenatal classes, the momy and me classes, etc, so kundalini has been a part of her total existence.

i'm glad you recommended the method, i have found it a great video to incorporate youngn's into also. i think with the baby at 7 weeks old, there would be no problem doing this video.
#6 of 14 Old 04-28-2002, 08:04 PM

oooooh I'm soooooo jealous! I'd love to take a class with Gurmukh...I'd love to see a class with older kids (dd is now 2.5)...sigh...

BTW, my older daughter (now age 6) also loves both tapes (prenatal and postnatal). She loves Gurmukh's outfits, not to mention all of the babies. Sometimes we just pop the video in and she uses a babydoll as a pretend baby.
#7 of 14 Old 04-28-2002, 08:18 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Ive got a great book called Yoga Baby. It has lots of good advice on how to start and step by step positions etc.
#8 of 14 Old 04-29-2002, 12:23 PM

queen gwen,
the mommy and toddler class unfortunately for me is right smack in the middle of the afternoon, in the middle of the week. as a working mum, it's impossible. i am, however, thinking that one day of playing "hookie" might have to be in order...
but then what if i love it and can't live without it? aaahhh, such dilemmas.
i have a newbie on the way and so it looks like i'll be heading back to the postnatal class by fall. her regular kundalini class is amazing too. had a chance to go to that when i was about 6 months postpartum and to get that delicious break was such luxury. her regualr kundalini video just isn't the same. maybe you could get out here sometime to take a couple classes? you can see the website at goldenbridgeyoga.com - would love to meet you.

rainsmom, what ages is the yoga baby book for?

janiceT, has any of this helped? i also hear that colette crawford has introduced a postnatal video but haven't experienced it firsthand. i think i saw it advertised in fit pregnancy mag.
#9 of 14 Old 04-29-2002, 12:41 PM

the book is Yoga Baby by DeAnsin Goodson Parker, PhD and it goes from newborn to 2 year old. It has a section for special needs babies. The book is sectioned off into the various centers of the body, permanent center, root center etc, and talks about when these centers are blocked. It also tells you how to bond thru yoga physically, emotionally and spiritually with your baby. It even tells you how to start your own yoga club.

Love this book! Ive been using it almost religiously with my dd.l

Lunasmom: How is the regular yoga video? Can I get it thru amazon? Where in LA are the classes held, just in case I want to go when I visit my parents.....?
#10 of 14 Old 04-29-2002, 12:47 PM

the book is Yoga Baby by DeAnsin Goodson Parker, PhD and it goes from newborn to 2 year old. It has a section for special needs babies. The book is sectioned off into the various centers of the body, permanent center, root center etc, and talks about when these centers are blocked. It also tells you how to bond thru yoga physically, emotionally and spiritually with your baby. It even tells you how to start your own yoga club.

Love this book! Ive been using it almost religiously with my dd.
#11 of 14 Old 04-29-2002, 12:48 PM

rainsmom
thank you

now i feel i've missed out tho cause my daughter is just about 2!

is this book available through all the regular means? amazon etc.?
#12 of 14 Old 04-29-2002, 12:58 PM

Yes, in fact, I ordered it thru my local bookstore.

Do you have the other videos? wondering how they are..... and where in LA the classes are located.
#13 of 14 Old 04-29-2002, 02:15 PM

hi
the classes are in los angeles on third street near la brea if you're familiar with the area. i think they might be moving to a bigger space
323 936 4172 or goldenbridgeyoga.com

the regular kundalini video with gurmukh is good, but i honestly got more with the prenatala and postnatal video. i would, however, give it a try, just cause the kundalini is so empowering and enjoyable. if you can make it to one of her classes in la, that is ideal. she is so good. also, though, the other teachers there are great, too, like sada sat singh and dr. guru dev. can't wait to get back into the regular, non prenatal yoga and get my body really moving again.

don't really use any other yoga videos, though, except the prenatal colette crawford
#14 of 14 Old 04-29-2002, 04:09 PM - Thread Starter

HI all, many thanks for all the suggestions!

I've tried The Method Baby & Mom post Natal Yoga with Gurmukh Khalsa, and I really like the format. Unfortunately I found even the gentle poses really challenging, since they focus so much (understandably) on the navel region. I was a real yoga afficionado before my dd came, but since she was born by (very traumatic) emergency c-section, I'm still having some post-op pain in my belly. It's all very normal, but I just find any kind of exertion on my ab muscles very uncomfortable. I'm hoping this will change soon -- it's been now 11 weeks since the surgery --

In the meantime, I'm trying to do some gentle stretches on the floor as my dd plays with her mobile. It's nothing compared to my pre-birth activity, but it's something --

Thanks again for all your wonderful suggestions --

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page