Mental Health issues getting in the way at work. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 10-22-2008, 06:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've been feeling like crap lately. I have a new job that on most days I like,but on bad days I just can't do it and have had to cancel shifts. Today I left mid shift even though I did everything I could to make myself stay or to leave early with out getting another attendance infraction.

Some of my "excuses" have been that I felt stressed and felt a panic attack coming on,but the truth is,is that I'm having some thoughts about suicide. None that I want to act on,but the thoughts are there. I mostly feel like crying and I start to choke on my words. I take small bathroom breaks and try and calm myself before I go back to my desk. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

HR knows that I was at the mental hospital a few days ago after leaving work. I went to their ER and talked to a doc who wrote me a note to excuse me from work that day so I wouldn't be in trouble for missing work. He didn't put a reason,but the name of well know hospital is on the paper.

I see a doctor about this (finally) on October 27th and hopefully can try and find something that will help. I've been asking for help for this issue for months now.

What should I tell my work? I don't want to tell them the whole truth b/c it may scare them and embarrass me or they could tell me if I'm not well that I shouldn't be working at all. I need to work,not just for the money,but b/c it gets me out of the house and makes me feel "normal".

I just need them to be more lenient about these darn absence infractions. If I get to many then I'll be fired.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 10-22-2008, 07:10 PM

I have mental health issues. I'd just be brief in your explanation, but make it clear that you're trying to resolve the issue and hope they can work with you.

You don't need to say "I get suicidal and need to hide in the bathroom sometimes" or "I'm suicidal and testing out new meds".

Just say, "I'm having some health issues related to anxiety/panic and I'm working with my doctor to resolve it." If you don't tell them anything they may assume you're just not interested in your job, so it's a tough call.

I really think though you need to be upfront. Avoid scary words like suicide, but be aware it's perfectly common to have panic and anxiety, and many many people though they don't admit it suffer too.

#3 of 6 Old 10-22-2008, 07:26 PM - Thread Starter

They do know that I'm having issues with panic attacks and that I'm waiting to see a doctor. I explained that part to HR the day after I went to the hospital ER after leaving work.

They will still give me an attendance infraction if I have to leave early or cancel shifts. Next time it happens I get a verbal warning,then a written warning and then I'm fired. I can't lose my job so I need a way to explain a little more or just a way to ask them to be more lenient with me on the attendance thing. Having to worry about my job just make things worse for me.
#4 of 6 Old 10-22-2008, 07:45 PM

Hmmm, I wonder somehow if them doing this is discrimination? Do you have an HR department?
#5 of 6 Old 10-22-2008, 07:57 PM
PJJ

Depending on your organization, they may also have grounds for this if you exhibit symptoms of where you are unable to perform essential functions of your job--whether it is physical or mental and would not be discrimination.
If you can not complete a shift, that would be not being able to perform an essential function of your job.

Good luck.
#6 of 6 Old 10-22-2008, 08:51 PM - Thread Starter

HR is Human Resources. They do know that I am having some issues,but I didn't go into detail with them. They just think it's stress/panic attacks. I require a doctors note to excuse any absence (at a cost of $5 per note) and I must go that day I miss. I can't always see the doc that day,even at a clinic and don't always have the cash for the note. Seriously is a doc even going to give me that note each time? (no answer required really)

I work at a call center doing phone surveys so it's "easy work" for the most part,but if I'm having thoughts of suicide when I wake in the morning I can't go in. Today I was supposed to work 3 shifts but left an hour before the 1st one ended b/c the thoughts over took me. The shifts are so short 4 hours and then 3.5 hour shifts. I have trouble getting out of the house (more issues) and I feel it's a waste to work just a 4 hour shift,so that's why I asked for a "triple shift" today.

The first 2 times that I canceled shifts was during my first week and I didn't know what I was doing and was very frustrated with things. They didn't offer much training and I have told them about this and also many people feel the same as I did about the lack of training. I had no confidence in my first 2 weeks and that set me back. The lack of training and knowing WTF to do is being dealt with (daily). I don't give a shit anymore about annoying the supervisors with every little tiny question I have. I feel it serves them right for not providing the proper training! LOL

I can probably get through a 4 hour shift,but if I don't feel I can make another shift right after I NEED to go home and take care of myself or risk melting down at work and scaring everyone and embarasing myself.

I just need them to be more understanding if I have to cancel a shift. Once I'm at work I can probably make the whole 4 hour or 4.5 hour shift but may not make it through 2-3 shifts. I have no warning when things could change for me.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page