Question about exemptions - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 05-21-2004, 02:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Someone in another thread talked about getting an exemption form from the health department. She said:

"She asked what my religion was and I told her I was not obligated to give her that info. (In FL you do not have to provide proof of affliation or tell them what your beliefs are.) She said, "Oh, well I have to check on our list of religions to see if it's on there." I replied,"I kow that there is no such list for FL." Her response, "Oh, ok.""

So how do I know if my state requires proof of affiliation? I'm in Kansas. Can anyone point me to where to look or does anyone have this info?

TIA
#2 of 20 Old 05-21-2004, 03:02 PM

I googled around and found the regulations and even the exemption form for Kansas, but it looks like they are a bit stricter than some other states in requiring you belong to an organzied religion that does not vax. They say an exemption is allowed for religious reasons if "Pupil is of a religion whose teachings are opposed to immunizations – the school reserves the right to require verification by the clergy of the religious tenets that preclude immunizations."

Here is the page with the rules:
http://www.usd259.com/district/admis...20Requirements

This is the actual form:

http://www.kdhe.state.ks.us/bcclr/fo...n%208-2002.pdf

I think Jehovah's Witnesses and Scientologists don't vaccinate; I'm not sure about other denominations.
#3 of 20 Old 05-21-2004, 04:53 PM - Thread Starter

Well, crud . . . . I guess I better move before the kids start school. I best check on Missouri's exemptions
#4 of 20 Old 05-21-2004, 04:54 PM - Thread Starter

and thanks
#5 of 20 Old 05-21-2004, 04:57 PM

hmmm... the actual form does not have a place for clergy to sign. Here is what it says:

(B) My child is exempt under the law from immunizations. As parent or guardian of the below named child, I state that I am adherent of a religious denomination whose teachings are opposed to immunizations.

I found it interesting that this is what the Florida form states:

I AM THE PARENT OR LEGAL GUARDIAN OF THE ABOVE-NAMED CHILD. WE ARE MEMBERS OF THE ________________________________________
CHURCH OR RELIGIOUS SECT.

IMMUNIZATIONS ARE IN CONFLICT WITH MY RELIGIOUS TENETS OR PRACTICES. THEREFORE, I REQUEST THAT MY CHILD BE ENROLLED IN SCHOOL OR CHILD DAY CARE WITHOUT THE IMMUNIZATIONS REQUIRED BY SECTIONS 232.032, F.S. AND 402.305, F.S.
#6 of 20 Old 05-21-2004, 05:01 PM - Thread Starter

How come I can't find this info. Can someone find the Missouri info. Same question as above.
#7 of 20 Old 05-21-2004, 05:08 PM

I live in Missouri. We have medical and religious. I picked up the form and filled in the box that said "religious exemption". I've had no questions or hassles. Except from physicians who refuse to see my children. (my kids are homeschooled and I didn't have to file a copy of the exemption with anyone. It's in my own records pile)
#8 of 20 Old 05-21-2004, 08:04 PM

wakeupmama: Jehovah's Witnesses do vaccinate, if the parents are so inclined. it's a personal choice.

as far as i know, missouri doesn't say that you have to have proof of religion.
#9 of 20 Old 05-22-2004, 01:29 AM

I found this under a search for NC law:
Quote:
An objection based upon a "scientific" belief (i.e. a foreign substance or chemical may be harmful) or non-religious personal belief or philosophy (i.e. clean living, fresh air, pure water) is not considered to be a religious exemption and is not allowed under North Carolina law.
I should have assumed that is how it would be... but it's kinda sad that I can't say "I just don't want that injected into my child".

On a more positive note, here is what I found for CA:
Quote:
The exemption is fairly easy to exercise. Each student in California is required to submit a "California School Immunization Record" to be admitted to school (California Health and Safety Code Section 12-375).

On the reverse of the form is the following statement: "I hereby request exemption of the child, named in the front, from the immunization requirements for school/child care center entry because these immunizations are contrary to my beliefs. I understand that in case of an outbreak of any of these diseases, the child may be temporarily excluded from school for his/her protection." To exercise the exemption, you simply sign the immunization record under this statement.
Yet another good reason to want to move back to good ole CA.

*ETA* Here is the link for the first one.. and for the second one.
#10 of 20 Old 05-22-2004, 02:23 AM

http://home.san.rr.com/via/STATES/allstates.htm
#11 of 20 Old 05-22-2004, 08:15 AM

hunnybumm, North Carolina is a little more lenient than that quote would indicate, just so you know. You can claim a religious exemption based upon your personal "bona fide religious beliefs" and you do not have to belong to an organized religion or have any other person sign it other than yourself. The site you linked to is maintained by the state department of health and so it is very discouraging of exemptions. I find the language of that quote, especially the way they put quotes around "scientific", to be pretty patronizing and offensive. The actual legal statute does not use those words. This is the actual statute:

Quote:
If the bona fide religious beliefs of an adult or the
parent, guardian or person in loco parentis of a child are
contrary to the immunization requirements contained in this
Chapter, the adult or the child shall be exempt from the
requirements. Upon submission of a written statement of the bona
fide religious beliefs and opposition to the immunization
requirements, the person may attend the college, university,
school or facility without presenting a certificate of
immunization.
Can be found here: http://www.ncleg.net/Statutes/Genera..._130A-157.html

You will notice there is no condescending language there about how "clean living" is not an acceptable reason. I believe with a religious fervor that my son should not have aluminim, formaldehyde, foreign DNA, aborted fetal tissue, etc. injected into his body. So although we do not belong to any church I claim the religious exemption. There is no standard form in NC, but you can copy and paste a sample statement from this page onto your own paper and sign it. Even if your child does not go to any school or daycare now, it's not a bad idea to prepare the form and keep it with your child's other important documents. You never know when you might be in the ER getting pressured to do the shots and you will want to be able to securely say that you already have an exemption--not that you were "planning to get one."
#12 of 20 Old 05-22-2004, 03:01 PM

There is a bit of information available at homeschool legal defense website http://www.hslda.org/
#13 of 20 Old 07-02-2004, 11:26 PM

Does anyone happen to have or know where I can look at a copy of what a Georgia religious exemption would look like? I have the philosophical exemption already just for the fact that we move so much but I don't know how to put together a religious one.

Thank you in advance.
#14 of 20 Old 07-02-2004, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by intensity_too
Well, crud . . . . I guess I better move before the kids start school. I best check on Missouri's exemptions
TIA
Move to my state, LOL, it is easy as pie(kiwi pie that is, LMAO) to get a religious exemption. All I had to do was go to the HD and ask and sign a paper that said I didnt want him vax'd because of religious reasons and that if there was ever to be an outbrake of a vax preventable disease at school, he has to stay out of school and will not be able to make up those days and that was it. And how many times has there been an outbrake in a school of a vax preventable disease in the past few years(especially in a private school with very few pupils)?
#15 of 20 Old 07-03-2004, 12:39 AM

http://www.chirobase.org/14Misc/universal.html

Has anyone ever considered using this religious exemption?
#16 of 20 Old 07-03-2004, 12:39 AM

does anyone know what happens in pennsylvania??
#17 of 20 Old 07-03-2004, 12:45 AM

[State by State exemptions

Here you go...look it up. PA has medical and religious and philosophical.
#18 of 20 Old 07-03-2004, 01:03 AM

gitti- can you explain what those 3 mean? (religious, medical and philosofical)
#19 of 20 Old 07-06-2004, 02:55 PM

I'm curious about this too...I'm also in PA. DS rec'd his 2mo. vaxes but now we're delaying or not vaxing at all. On the vaclib website they have a link to woodmed (a practice of DOs who do homeopathy/nutrition, etc.) who are antivax)...I may be taking my son there once we can switch insurances in the new year. THey have the medical and religious exemption forms for PA on their site. They also say that they are part of the "Church of the Illumination" which is pro natural healing, etc. (I know a lot of chiros also mention this). Since the medical exemption requires the doc sign a form saying vaxing may endanger this child's "health or life" I wonder if they would sign it if they believe it isn't in the child's best health interests? It doesn't ask what the "health" issue involves (i.e. for a diagnosis). Hmmmm. If not, it would seem they could also "back you up" under the relgious exemption due to their affiliation with the "church of the illumination."
The sites I've seen say PA only has medical and religous exemptions, but the PA religious exemption says a strong ethical or moral conviction also counts...so isn't that pretty much a philosophical exemption in a way??
I'm just wondering how this all pans out practically since we haven't crossed that bridge yet???? Can anyone in PA clarify for me??
#20 of 20 Old 07-08-2004, 02:52 AM

I found this PA resource for you. Hope it helps...

Vaccine Information and Liberation - Pennsylvania Chapter
Debbie Grater, director
651 N. Price Street
Pottstown, PA 19464
(610) 326-2032 (Debra Grater)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page