Nursing school and vaxing - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-29-2006, 08:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyway around it? I am in WA state and if I go the RN route before the CPM route, vaxes are part of the requirement. I know I have basically a ton of vaxes already, but I have no records of them, don't care to prove it, and don't care to get anymore if needed.

Anyone able to get in and not do them/prove them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2006, 09:22 PM

Just claim a religious objection. I don't know of any nursing program who admits to descriminating on the basis of religion.

-Angela
Old 09-29-2006, 09:34 PM - Thread Starter

Well, one of the instructors and higher ups goes to the same church as I do. Otherwise I'd do it. I do claim philosophical for my boys. And since it isn't a private setting, I should be able to go with that right?
Old 09-29-2006, 09:36 PM

Could you have titre's drawn? That is what I did.

Pat

I have a blog.
Old 09-29-2006, 09:57 PM

I would NOT attempt philosophical. They don't have to respect that.

You can have religiously held beliefs against vaccination and belong to a church that doesn't.

-Angela
Old 09-29-2006, 10:05 PM - Thread Starter

Thats a good point Angela..........

Philosphical won't hold up even in WA state?
Old 09-29-2006, 10:06 PM - Thread Starter

Pat-would the titres be at my expense though?
Old 09-29-2006, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tb12342002 View Post
Thats a good point Angela..........

Philosphical won't hold up even in WA state?
Philosophical and religious exemptions carry the same weight in WA. We are the least-churched state in the country, you know.

mama to Max (2/02) and Sophie (10/06); wife to my fabulous girl
Old 09-30-2006, 01:25 AM

But exemptions as such are for kids in school. Not adults. It's a whole different ballgame. You need to have a religious objection to avoid something otherwise mandated by health authorities.

-Angela
Old 09-30-2006, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tb12342002 View Post
Pat-would the titres be at my expense though?

I think a hospital associated with the school would draw them through the employee health dept. Otherwise, most GP probably can code it so that you get reimbursement.

Pat

I have a blog.
Old 09-30-2006, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post
But exemptions as such are for kids in school. Not adults. It's a whole different ballgame. You need to have a religious objection to avoid something otherwise mandated by health authorities.

-Angela
You can't have a personal philosophical objection for yourself?

Anyway, it's the individual school that makes its own imms policy, not health authorities. Not all schools require the same imms.

mama to Max (2/02) and Sophie (10/06); wife to my fabulous girl
Old 09-30-2006, 01:34 PM

I wouldn't count on it.

-Angela
Old 09-30-2006, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxmama View Post
You can't have a personal philosophical objection for yourself?

Anyway, it's the individual school that makes its own imms policy, not health authorities. Not all schools require the same imms.
Since enrollment or employment at an institution is not compulsory, unlike public schooling, I don't know that anything other than religious objections to any "customs" or "personal preferences" would be honored. One has the choice not to participate. That covers freedom of association and freedom of religion.

Jmho, Pat

I have a blog.
Old 09-30-2006, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxmama View Post
Where is LI? Anyone know? She's the expert on the vaccination laws in the US, but she's not around, so we're all having to fill in for her. Here's my attempt at playing LI:

Quote:
While WA does not have state immunization requirements for post secondary institutions, most states do . . . and if a state has immunization regulations for post-secondary institutions, the school must also follow the law.

Some health programs such as nursing do add additional immunizations for entry into those programs, however, the schools must follow state immunization requirements, if any. For example, if the state requires meningococcal for college entry, the school must comply.
Old 09-30-2006, 02:53 PM

LI should be back soon....

-Angela
Old 09-30-2006, 04:35 PM

Oops! I forgot the most important part:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plummeting in the role of LI
http://www.doh.wa.gov/cfh/Immunize/documents/collegesurvey.pdf

While WA does not have immunization requirements in place for colleges, if the college refuses to admit a student who claims to hold a religious belief opposed to immunization, they risk losing federal funding (unless the college doesn't accept funding, which is not common these days).

A college student in WA should not use philosophical reasons to refuse the school's immunization requirements, if any. They should use religion b/c they will have constitutional protections if the school refuses to enroll them and the school accepts funding. If it is a truly private school and the school denies enrollment, then there's nothing they can do.
Old 09-30-2006, 06:13 PM

But the thing is...when I went to nursing school, the school would have let me off (religious only--this is NY), but the individual private hospitals didnt have to let me do clinicals there, so there's the catch. I wouldn't have been able to fulfil the requirements of my degree and thus wouldn't have graduated.

Titers should be covered by insurence. Just keep in mind, they go away. I mentioned on another thread that my measles or my mumps showed up non-immune (or equivocal, which they wouldn't accept).

Just curious--why would you go the RN route before the CPM route? You will not be trained in natural birth "management" either in clinicals or in lecture. No moreso then you could read yourself in a ny midwifery text. OT, I know, sorry.

Kelly, mama (12yoDS), doula, RN, and writer.
There's no where you can be that isn't where you were meant to be, its easy
Old 09-30-2006, 06:30 PM

Quote:
but the individual private hospitals didnt have to let me do clinicals there, so there's the catch.
To my knowledge, there are few, if any hospitals which do not receive federal funding in the way of Medicare/Medicaid, however. So, this in an unlikely obstacle, imo.

Pat

I have a blog.
Old 09-30-2006, 06:35 PM

If you do choose to be vaccinated, I'd be sure that you receive the single disease, single dose versions, without thimerasol. Many adult vaccines do contain the mercury derivative, such as Td, iirc. Also, do not take within 4 weeks of any illness, no NSAIDs, and space them a minimum of 4 weeks apart. Good Luck on getting them to agree to that.

As a non-practicing RN, adamantly opposed to arbitrary vaccination, this is an interesting conundrum. But, I'd just claim religious objection and see how that went.

Pat

I have a blog.
Old 09-30-2006, 06:46 PM

Would a hospital be legally obligated to allow an unvaxed college student patient care access? I mean they aren't employing those individuals & they aren't actually affiliated with the school the individual attends, so what exactly is the relationship that would require acceptance, KWIM?
Old 09-30-2006, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amnesiac View Post
Would a hospital be legally obligated to allow an unvaxed college student patient care access?
That's what I'm saying....I don't think they'd have to. I had to show proof of immunity--not a vax record. We *had* to have our titers in....they didn;t care what we were vaxed against or what we got naturally, as long as we showed immunities.

This was especially important in Peds and the PICU especially.

Old 09-30-2006, 09:10 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you everyone for helping me out so much.

Going the RN route is my backup if the midwifery school doesn't accept me. So hopefully I'll have no worries there.

I suppose I could do a ton of leg work and find all these stupid vax records, but as mentioned, immunity does go away.

Gads, the whole thing ticks me off. :
Old 09-30-2006, 11:01 PM

Immunities (showed via titers) should ALWAYS trump a vax record, especially if you're older. And you can get them with ONE tube of blood (maybe two depending on the lab/lab tech).

Old 10-01-2006, 01:22 AM

I went the R.N. route and had to get all my adult boosters plus hep B series (but this was years before I researched vax) and my health records show that I received the chicken pox vax 3 times: after my titers kept coming up negative. After all this and much additional reading I'm so disillusioned with the whole world of allopathic medicine that I'll only go back if I become a direct entry midwife for homebirthing. Save yourself the time and pain of nursing school if you already know you want to be a midwife go directly into that.
Old 10-01-2006, 01:57 PM

I'm in a BSN program and just went through all this recently.

You will need to somehow show you have immunity against Rubella because of pregnant women you will be around. They don't care how you have immunity, just that you have it because it's a liability for them is there way of thinking.

I got a titer for chickenpox done for $15.

I was able to find my old MMR records from childhood but also got titers done and I still showed vaccine induced immunity. If you do have to get the MMR for some reason, your health dept should be able to give that one for free. The titers here for MMR was only $15 as well, I would go with that first if you can't find your vax records. I'm not sure about the waivers on that for hospitals because of the rubella part.

HepB you should be able to decline because that is for your protection, not the patients. So it is a bit different--make sure you research that one. My school handed out waiver forms and I think I was the only person who waived it...lol But I was thankful it was so easy to do. And really your going to be working around a LOT more HepC patients than HepB.

Our program didn't require anything else except 2 step PPD test which is fine with me.

It's hard with nursing school. The school really doesnt' care, it's all the hospitals that care and your going to be rotating through a LOT of different hospitals and you must comply with all of them--public and private.

I LOVE nursing school though, it is a lot of fun! Even though I don't always agree with every single thing, I'm learning and seeing A LOT. It's good experience either way. I have to have my BSN because I want to get either my NP or PA masters. We have some seriously awesome CNMs here where I work too, they are just awesome---the OB/GYNs all can't stand them so that tells me the CNMs are doing what they do best

Good luck!

Marilyn,psych RN. Homeschooling mom to Taylor (12) and Lauryn (8)

User Tag List