Private schools and daycares? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-01-2006, 08:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Can a private school or daycare refuse admittance if we don't vax? Sorry if this has been asked before. I'm a WOHM and am considering not vax'ing our next child. TIA

Kim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2006, 08:28 PM

Some states like Nevada and Texas have certain protections, but the child has to be actually enrolled in order to get that protection.

Since private schools are not obligated to have open enrollment policies like public schools and do not have to obey the Constitution, they can deny and/or remove a child from the school for virtually any reason . . . from misbehavior to having a disability . . . and with no due process.
Old 11-01-2006, 08:34 PM

...unless they get any funding from government. And many do at least some funding.

IOW - if there is any government money going to the school, they can not refuse an unvaccinated child.

Kim,
Please don't base your vaccine decision on school enrolment policy. It is way too important for that.
Old 11-01-2006, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gitti View Post
...unless they get any funding from government. And many do at least some funding.

IOW - if there is any government money going to the school, they can not refuse an unvaccinated child.

Kim,
Please don't base your vaccine decision on school enrolment policy. It is way too important for that.
I was just going to post that! A lot of private preschools get government funding for special education. That would mean that they cannot decline a religious waiver in a state that has one (all but Mississippi and West VA - I think LI?).
Old 11-01-2006, 08:49 PM

Quote:

The only private schools that I am aware that are able to get public funding are colleges/universitites and because of that, they don't enjoy the same consitutional protections. In other words, private colleges receiving public funding cannot discriminate.

On the pre-college level, most (if not all) state constitutions specifcally prohibit the use of public funds to private schools, particularly parochial schools. Things like the use of public school buses and book lending are not considered public funding because they don't subsidize the actual operation of the school.

If a private school needed public funds in order to operate, it wouldn't technically be a private school.
Old 11-01-2006, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIsland View Post
The only private schools that I am aware that are able to get public funding are colleges/universitites and because of that, they don't enjoy the same consitutional protections. In other words, private colleges receiving public funding cannot discriminate.

On the pre-college level, most (if not all) state constitutions specifcally prohibit the use of public funds to private schools, particularly parochial schools. Things like the use of public school buses and book lending are not considered public funding because they don't subsidize the actual operation of the school.
Interesting. I was thinking that for preschools some of the services were provided in private schools, especially if the state doesn't fund public preschools.

Also, I used to live in NJ. I know for a fact that the public school child study team provided special education services to children attending parochial schools in the parochial school. I'm not sure what that means tho? :
Old 11-01-2006, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherHeather View Post
Interesting. I was thinking that for preschools some of the services were provided in private schools, especially if the state doesn't fund public preschools.

Also, I used to live in NJ. I know for a fact that the public school child study team provided special education services to children attending parochial schools in the parochial school. I'm not sure what that means tho? :
A private school is technically not required to provide special education services if the public school offers an appropriate program (FAPE). However, that doesn't mean that the child cannot receive special education services in a private school setting - it depends on the school. It happens all the time and many times it's the state that actually wants to place the child in a private setting if the public school cannot provide FAPE.

Now just because the special education student is receiving state special education services in that private setting, it does not render that private school "public." Also keep in mind that some private schools will not even accept a child with any disability - mental or physical - and they have the right to make that policy.

ETA: On the other hand, if a school enrolls special education students and relies on the state in order to operate, then it would be considered a public institution. For instance, there are some special education preschools that cannot discriminate because they rely solely on public funds in order to operate and all referrals are children transitioning out of Early Intervention.
Old 11-01-2006, 09:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Kim,
We are getting ready to purchase our first home. We were considering private school if we bought a home in a certain area where the housing is more affordable but the schools weren't as nice. Now I know that its important to look for a house in a school district were we wouldn't mind sending our DCs to public school. The daycare issue isn't quite as complicated because I was thinking about hiring a nanny for the next child anyway. This info helps me plan ahead so I'm not taken by surprise.

Thanks!
Kim
Old 11-01-2006, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimbernet View Post
We are getting ready to purchase our first home. We were considering private school if we bought a home in a certain area where the housing is more affordable but the schools weren't as nice. Now I know that its important to look for a house in a school district were we wouldn't mind sending our DCs to public school. The daycare issue isn't quite as complicated because I was thinking about hiring a nanny for the next child anyway. This info helps me plan ahead so I'm not taken by surprise.

Thanks!
Kim

Old 11-01-2006, 09:37 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
LongIsland wrote:
Quote:
Also keep in mind that some private schools will not even accept a child with any disability - mental or physical - and they have the right to make that policy.
I worked at a private school for 3 years. They did sometimes turn down children with special needs...because they couldn't provide the services that the child required. No private school I've ever heard of could afford classroom aides, for example.

That particular school had one "extra" teacher who worked with children who needed help beyond what the classroom teacher could offer. If the problem required more than two hours a week of additional help...then the school had to be realistic and say no.

On the other hand, they were totally okay with vaccine exemptions

Deborah
Old 11-01-2006, 11:08 PM

Thanks for the info, LI. I learn something from you everyday.

User Tag List