FLA dept of health - Please help! - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 43 Old 06-20-2007, 05:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This is why you need to speak with a supervisor, where in the state statute is the following requirement listed regarding a religious exemption?...

"that they were required to provide education"

And if a supervisor gives you the same bull, I would ask them to direct you to the title/chapter/paragraph in which that is stated.
#32 of 43 Old 06-20-2007, 10:36 PM

Amazing what will fall out of people's mouths...:

As you've already been told (and knew in your heart), everything you were told is BS.

Jenn
#33 of 43 Old 01-16-2008, 02:30 AM

You gave me all the information and links I was looking for.
Quote:
Originally Posted by suschi View Post
The law hasn't changed, it's still just this simple statement,

"(a) The parent of the child objects in writing that the administration of immunizing agents conflicts with his or her religious tenets or practices;"

that's it, nothing more, nothing less....

and I would demand anyone requesting anything additional to show you WHERE in the state law are these additional requirements written.

Print out a copy of the law and take it with you if needed.

http://www.flsenate.gov/Statutes/ind...->Section%2022

Also see this, the ssn on the religious waiver has nothing to do with the SHOTS program, there is a completely different form for opting out of that program, no where does it state you are automatically opted out by submitting a religious exemption.

BEGIN COPY/PASTE:

7) Florida SHOTS (State Health Online Tracking System) Opt Out Provision - Parents or guardians may elect to decline participation in the Florida immunization registry, Florida SHOTS, by completing a DH Form 1478, Florida SHOTS Notification and Opt Out Form, as incorporated by reference in subsection 64D-3.011(10), F.A.C. and returning the form to the Department of Health. The immunization records of children whose parents choose to opt-out will not be shared with other entities that are allowed by law to have access to the child's immunization record via authorized access to Florida SHOTS.

(8) Florida SHOTS Private Provider Participation - Any health care practitioner licensed in Florida under Chapter 458, 459 or 464, Florida Statutes may request authorization to access Florida SHOTS by filling out a DOH Form 1479, Authorized Private Provider User Agreement for Access to Florida SHOTS (Florida State Health Online Tracking System), as incorporated by reference in subsection 64D-3.011(10), F.A.C. The DOH Form 1479 will be returned to the Department of Health for processing and authorization to access Florida SHOTS. Notification of access approval and instructions for accessing Florida SHOTS will be provided by the Department of Health. The authorized user and the applicable licensing authority or agency shall notify the Department of Health Bureau of Immunization Florida SHOTS personnel when an authorized user's license or registration has expired or has been suspended or revoked.

END COPY/PASTE

http://www.doh.state.fl.us/Disease_c...munity/64d.htm

Here's the form to opt out, must be signed by the parent making the request,

http://www.flshots.org/_pdfs/OptOutDH-1478.pdf

All this leads me to believe you didn't speak with a knowledgable person at the state dept.

And here are the Florida Immunization Guidelines spelled out,

http://www.doh.state.fl.us/Disease_c...choolguide.pdf

You should print this out for your records because they keep changing the links to it. At the very least, print page 18 which explains the religious exemption but mentions NOTHING about any other requirements to obtain,

VI. Religious Exemption from Immunization (DH 681)
A. Request for Religious Exemption:
1. A request for a religious exemption from immunization requirements
must be presented on the Department of Health’s Religious Exemption
From Immunization form (DH 681).
2. The DH 681 is issued ONLY by county health departments and ONLY
for a child who is not immunized because of his/her family’s religious
tenets or practices.
B. Completion of DH 681: The following information must be completed on the
DH 681:
1. The child's complete name, date of birth, and parent or guardian’s name.
The child’s social security number (SS#) is optional.
2. Parent's (or guardian's) signature and date of signature.
3. County health department stamp, signature of the county health
department director/administrator or their authorized designee, and date
the form is issued.
C. Retention of Form: The DH 681 will be kept on file at the school, preschool,
child care facility, or family day care home in order to facilitate identification
of any unimmunized/susceptible children needing exclusion during an
outbreak of a vaccine-preventable disease.
D. Consistency With Florida Law: Requests for religious exemption from
immunizations should be consistent with section 232.032, Florida Statutes.
Exemptions for personal or philosophical reasons are not permitted
under Florida law.

supermod.gif who isbelly.gifwith #4  has jumpers.gif . Believe in homeschool.gif,bfinfant.gif,familybed1.gif,femalesling.GIF,h20homebirth.gif,goorganic.jpg,saynovax.gif

#34 of 43 Old 01-16-2008, 11:23 AM

They have changed the wording in this document leading me to believe the state dept has been fielding quite a few calls. Best to print this out to have on hand when obtaining a religious exemption. Also explains how the records are to be transferred if your child changes schools, meaning you only need to get this form 1 X per child. (BOLD/COLOR EMPHASIS MINE)

1. A request for a religious exemption from immunization requirements must be presented on the Department of Health’s Religious Exemption From Immunization form (DH 681).

2. The DH 681 is issued ONLY by county health departments and ONLY for a child who is not immunized because of his/her family’s religious tenets or practices. If a parent requests such an exemption, the county health department staff must use the current DH 681 Form, which has been signed by the parent affirming the written statement on the form that a religious conflict exists.

This form must be issued upon request.

No other information should be solicited from the parent or guardian.

FLmomof1/1ontheway, glad to be of help.
#35 of 43 Old 01-16-2008, 12:13 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thanks so much for the info Suschi. I have printed it off and will get my exemption whenever I find the time (DS isn’t in daycare yet).

Here is a question….do you have to fill out the form ahead of time or do you just go in and say “I want a religious exemption for vaccines” and they hand you a form to fill out, sign it and that’s it.

Another question that maybe should go somewhere else but I will ask here anyway. My midwife said she would provide a medical exemption for us. If you could get a medical exemption would you do that over the religious?
#36 of 43 Old 01-16-2008, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanidFL View Post
Thanks so much for the info Suschi. I have printed it off and will get my exemption whenever I find the time (DS isn’t in daycare yet).

Here is a question….do you have to fill out the form ahead of time or do you just go in and say “I want a religious exemption for vaccines” and they hand you a form to fill out, sign it and that’s it.

Another question that maybe should go somewhere else but I will ask here anyway. My midwife said she would provide a medical exemption for us. If you could get a medical exemption would you do that over the religious?
The form has to be obtained from the health dept, I don't think they mail them, you have to go pick it up. Best to call first and advise you need to get the form. Keep the paper with you that clearly states the form MUST BE GIVEN UPON REQUEST and no other information requested from the parent so you can quote it if need be, and state that this is information from the Florida State Dept of Imm. If they advise anything that differs, request they send any additional requests in writing. Take your child's birth cert with you in case they want it for indentification, do not give them your child's ssn, they PREFER to have it, but it states CLEARLY on the form that it is OPTIONAL.

No way would I do a medical exemption. They are normally on a shot by shot basis and you usually have to have a child suffer via shot before they are given. I'm not sure how your midwife plans to write one out, but personally, I would stick w/the religious because it covers all shots and you don't have to almost kill your child first.
#37 of 43 Old 01-16-2008, 01:03 PM

Quote:
T
Midwives cannot grant medical exemptions.

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
#38 of 43 Old 01-16-2008, 01:07 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I was also wondering how my midwife would do this but I will stick with the religious exemption. So when I go get the form do I sit down and fill it out or take it with me and mail it back? Just want to make sure I plan enough time if I need to sit and wait for 1/2 hour lol.
#39 of 43 Old 01-16-2008, 01:29 PM

It only takes a moment to fill out the form, you put your child's name, dob, sign and date, and the rep signs it too. If they attempt anything other than than giving the form and signing, show them the paper that states the form must be given upon request and no other info solicited from the parent. I copied the following onto a word doc all taken from the site:

IMMUNIZATION GUIDELINES
Effective March 2007

Florida Department of Health
Bureau of Immunization
4052 Bald Cypress Way
Bin A-11
Tallahassee, Florida 32399-1719

1. A request for a religious exemption from immunization requirements must be presented on the Department of Health’s Religious Exemption From Immunization form (DH 681).

2. The DH 681 is issued ONLY by county health departments and ONLY for a child who is not immunized because of his/her family’s religious tenets or practices. If a parent requests such an exemption, the county health department staff must use the current DH 681 Form, which has been signed by the parent affirming the written statement on the form that a religious conflict exists.

This form must be issued upon request.

No other information should be solicited from the parent or guardian.

B. Completion of DH 681:

The following information must be completed on the DH 681:

1. The child's complete name, date of birth, and parent or guardian’s
name.
The child’s Social Security number (SS#) is optional.

The Florida SHOTS ID should be included, if known.

2. Parent's (or guardian's) signature and date of signature.

#40 of 43 Old 01-16-2008, 05:35 PM

Thanks for posting that info suschi. I am in FL also. I will be taking the paper that states the form must be given upon request when I file for my son's religious exemption..

Naturegirl, Im sorry for all you had to go through! Did you finally get the exemption?

Jen
#41 of 43 Old 01-16-2008, 05:46 PM

Quote:
...do you just go in and say “I want a religious exemption for vaccines” and they hand you a form to fill out, sign it and that’s it.
I got a religious exemption in FL (Panama City) a few months ago and that's exactly how it went. You could also ask by the form number.

I did have to turn it in then go back another day to pick it up signed. The director has to sign it so they just ship it to her office with papers and she gets to it when she gets to it, like any other bureaucratic stuff. The woman said it would most likely be completed the next day and gave me a business card with a number to call first and check before making the trip. It might have been possible for me to wait for it but it wasn't that critical of an issue. I picked it up a few days later with no problem. I also didn't give DS's SSN but there was some very basic paperwork I had to fill out, one page and I forget now exactly what was on it. Nothing major. She didn't ask me what religion I was and she didn't lecture me on vaccinations . HTH.

The form I got back had the exemption in English, Spanish and Creole (?)- which I thought was interesting.
#42 of 43 Old 01-16-2008, 08:40 PM

The OP sure had a tough time at the health dept! We did not experience that. DH went to the health department, asked for the religious exemption, and they gave it to him. No questions asked. Which is the way it should be because they are legally not supposed to ask any questions. We didn't have to go back to pick it up at a later date. DH took it home with him that day.
#43 of 43 Old 05-18-2008, 09:23 AM

Bumping

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page