FLA dept of health - Please help! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 43 Old 06-13-2007, 02:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
UPDATE 6/19

Today I went for the appt - which was another ordeal. I took US1 instead of 95 to get there today and got lost, I called the number on my appt slip which was the direct number for Clinic A to let them know I was going to a be a few minutes late and to get better directions. I was lucky enough to get Wanda on the phone, when I stated that I had a 9am appt (it was now 9:01), that I was lost and needed directions - I was told "hold on" and placed on hold. a little over 10 minutes later I was disconnected without ever speaking to anyone. I called back 4 times, only to be placed directly onto hold (no real person ever got on the phone). Eventually I did find the place on my own. I was on hold just before entering the building, I hung up, walked the 30 secs into the building and into clinic A to find Wanda sitting behind the front desk involved in a conversation with a coworker. When she looked up and asked if I needed something, I said yes, I waited on hold for over 15 minutes for directions cuz I was lost and now late for my 9am appt as a result. She did not even acknowledge me, just pointed at the door and said to go check in.
I did check in (only to be told by the clerk that he had never seen an appt for a religious exemption before!) and wait in the waiting area for atleast another 15-20 minutes. I was finally called to the appt (via a HIPPA violation - full name and location to report to over the intercom) and met with nurse Heather. She began by informing me that if I requested a religious exemption, the following things would happpen to my child.

1. if an outbreak occurred, he would not only be removed from school (which I knew) but also quarentined to our home for the length of the outbreak (which she states is generally 6 months) - specifically stated that he would not be allowed to leave our home for any reason, no trips to the park, grocery store, family, etc. Is this in fact true? Even the exemption form doesn't mention this - only states that he could be removed from school.

2. "he will never go to college" When I pressed further, I was told that "no college accepts a religious exemption" and that he would be required to have all of them anyway if I wanted him to have any kind of an education. When I asked if this was just a Florida college thing, as I never encountered any difficulty with college myself, she responded that ALL state colleges and universities nation wide are like this, and maybe some small private colleges would accept him but that it was unlikely. I went to a state funded county college without any issues whatsoever - that was even in a healthcare field degree program! How valid is this threat?

3. that the exemption I have is only good until he goes to school, she actually wrote "HOME" on the top margin of my form!! She stated that any time we move or he goes to a new preschool/elementary school, etc we need to come back and get a new form. I told her that I was only aware of the statue stating that we had to get the one form, and that my understanding was that one form was good - period. That since it was STATE issued in accordance to STATE statutes, the purpose of the form or we where lived did not matter. She insisted again that it was required for "tracking purposes in the event of an outbreak and the need to quarentine your son - we need to know exactly where to find him."

4. When I refused the video, I first requested written materials - to be told that nothing like that was available. Surprising considering it is the county health department. And more suprising since hanging in a shelving unit on the wall behind her was a bunch of folders label "chicken pox (english)" "chicken pox (spanish)" etc for all the required vax, in addition to folders labelled fevers, diarrhea and dehydration, etc. I was told that the only information available was in this video - that it was a video about parents talking about what happened as a result of their kids not getting vaxed. Propaganda and scare tactics - no thank you. I politely declined, stated that I have researched myself and made an informed decision in addition to this being a religious decision. Then I was told that it was better for me to just watch the video now, cuz when I had to come back for the next form so my son could enter kindergarten, I would be required to watch if or they would not issue the form. I challenged her on the need for another form and refused the video.

In addition to speaking with Vivienne up in Tallahassee again (which didn't seem to make much of a difference after all) - where can I file a written complaint against this department and its staff. The veil of concern and politely phrased scare tactics and intimidation is just ridiculous. I don't know if some of the treatment (such as waiting on hold over 15 minutes when they knew I was lost) was retaliation for called Vivienne, but that is what it seemed like. Even if that isn't the case, Wanda is HORRIBLE at her job. It seemed like they were trying to cover their butts a bit too as a result of the phone call - ever so sweetly (with a strong hit of sarcasism) starting off the appt with saying "Now I am not trying to change your mind about anything or provide any sort of counseling, but I have to make you aware of a few things." They knew ahead of time that I stated I intended to refuse the video, yet it was still an issue and still something toted as being "required."

If they thought that simply cuz I had my 681 form I would tolerate this treatment and just be thankful to have the ordeal over with they are sadly mistaken. Today just fueled my anger further and has me even more committed to seeing things change at that health department.

also where can I file a complaint re: the HIPPA violation???

they messed with the wrong girl this time around.....

original post:

I need help dealing with the FLA health dept and the little power trip they are on regarding issuing me a religious exemption form for DS.

I used the links to get all the necessary info regarding getting a religious exemption in Florida - we just moved here last week. According to the KNOW website, all I needed to do was get a form 681 signed by the county branch of the dept of health.
I called the office TWICE to find out if I needed to see anyone specific, schedule an appt, etc to obtain this form. "No, just report to clinic A and they will issue it to you"
So I took yesterday to drive the more than 30 min drive to the office, only to be told by the nasty woman Wanda in Clinic A that I am "required" to have a "relgious exemption appt" with a specific nurse that is only at 9am and 2pm and involves watching a video, an exam of my son, filing paperwork, and counseling.
I argued with her that the statue does not say anything about this nor did anyone I spoke to over the phone - only to be told that she doesn't know "nothing about none of that" - her standard reply to every question such as how long the appt is, the content or length of the video, why my son needs an exam, etc. Needless to say I made an appt and need to show up next Tuesday at 9am with DS in tow. :
I called back and spoke with the woman in charge of the Immunization Clinic to be informed that only one person is qualified to sign the exemptions, hence the appt. And when I really pressed her and asked why I was being forced to watch a video for a religous exemption - that it was disrepectful and harassing me would not change my religious views - she admitted that it was "recommended" not required. And that it "is policy" that I meet with the nurse, my son be examined by the nurse, and we both recieve counseling before an exemption will be issued. :

Aside from writing a scathing complaint about harassment and religious persecution (who do I even send it to???) - what can I do? I am livid. They are making me jump thru hoops - when all they need BY LAW is a signed statement from me - which I tried to provide them with yesterday but Wanda refused to take. : I hate letting them win in this intimindation game and power struggle - which I feel like I am doing by meekly obeying and complying with their stupid policies.

Can someone help me out here? What sort of legal leg to stand on do I have? Should I contact a director of the health dept directly? What should I do next???
#2 of 43 Old 06-13-2007, 02:12 PM

Wow. I have numerous friends with religious exemptions in Florida and they were not put through that at all. Can you try calling a different county instead? Perhaps you can just take care of it there. I say show up at the appointment, REFUSE the exam and insist on having them sign the paperwork. Show up with a copy of the statute in hand.

But that is just my gut feeling. Hopefully someone with better Florida knowledge will help you out here. You might want to try the Florida area of "Find your Tribe" as well. Good luck!
#3 of 43 Old 06-13-2007, 02:45 PM

What county are you in? We have not gotten out exemption form signed, but I know many people who have and they had no problems. In fact, they didn't even bring their children with them.

I am so sorry that they are harassing you like that. As far as I know, you are not required to do any of that to get the exemption. I know they are not even supposed to ask any questions about your religious affiliation at all.

I hope someone has more answers for you!

Joyfully- Laura
radically unschooling 3 awesome kids
#4 of 43 Old 06-13-2007, 03:03 PM - Thread Starter

It is Indian River county - the vero beach branch.

As far as I understand it, I *have* to go the county branch. My ped and her office staff all said they never ran into anything like this, but that is Pt Lucie or St Lucie county.

The kicker is that in Jan when we buy a house - it will be in another county and I will have to go thru all of this all over again!

I sent an email to the FLA rep on the KNOW website - hopefully she will have some insight.

I am so tempted to show up, all by myself, for the appt and refused the video, counseling, etc and hand them my letter and a copy of the statute.
But at the same time I am kinda scared that I will get put on some sort of "bad parent watch list" or something.....that we could go to the ER for a bumped chin and end up fighting child and youth services.....I know it sound extreme - but at this point I wouldn't put anything past these people, espcially when there have been cases like that.....
#5 of 43 Old 06-13-2007, 03:16 PM
Banned

Sorry posted twice.
#6 of 43 Old 06-13-2007, 03:17 PM
Banned

Great freedom of choice!!! Hey!

Due to some similar experiences, which I will not get into here as I do not want to get into trouble, I can totally understand you and sympathize with you!
#7 of 43 Old 06-13-2007, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter

Okay, my ped just emailed me back (gotta say I LOVE her!) and said that she can give me the "blue form" - she isn't sure what it is titled or numbered, but that it seems to work for her other pts for schools, private schools, activities, etc - also said that since I take Ds for all his well baby checks, etc that I would not run into any problems - but my motto is better safe than sorry!

anyone have the 681 form - is it blue??

oh please oh please say it is blue!
#8 of 43 Old 06-13-2007, 04:02 PM

According to vaclib.org the exemption form is blue.

http://www.vaclib.org/exempt/florida.htm
#9 of 43 Old 06-13-2007, 04:12 PM

I'd ask to see all of these "policies" in writing before I'd agree to any of them :

Bubba (9) bikenew.gifLukey (5) jog.gif  Fat Baby (2) babyf.gif  Me faint.gif

#10 of 43 Old 06-13-2007, 08:50 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
hey, i just pm'd you and then read the replies...

the 681 is blue. your doctor CANNOT provide it for you, only a HD rep.

HOWEVER...

the 680 (vax record) is also blue. that form WOULD come from your doctor, and on the back is a tiny space for the dr to make out a medical exemption. i believe it can be either good for one yr, or have no expiration date, depending on how your dr chooses to fill it out.

if you have a dr willing to give a 680 exemption, i would totally drive the 45 mis to your town! pm me bacvk w/the name, please.

Bring back the old MDC
#11 of 43 Old 06-13-2007, 08:57 PM

do you have to go to your county office? it's not like that here in Martin AFAIK

the dr can't give you the form? (ps - do you use Denise?) - When I lived in Broward I just got the vax form from my ped.....

I'm Andrea - I have three boys - 12 year old twins & an 11 year old

#12 of 43 Old 06-13-2007, 11:03 PM - Thread Starter

edit
#13 of 43 Old 06-14-2007, 04:01 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Although I do not have exemptions for my kids yet, From what I understand, this is TOTAL HARASSMENT. We are in Lee County (west coast) and the people I know who have gotten the exemptions have just gone to the HD, signed a form and go on their merry way. And this is a statewide statute; it DOES NOT VARY BY COUNTY. I would not subject your dc to a physical at the hd at all, nor would I watch a video. YUCK. I am so sorry you are going through this. I think I would call and ask for the head of the hd and complain. NOBODY wants to mess with religious discrimination. I hope 909 helps you out ~ please keep updating, I am really curious to know what happens

Take care, mama

homeschooling, earth loving Mama to 3 crazy, wonderful boys, ages 10 & 7, & 3 mos.,3 spirit babies                                Inch by inch, row by row.  Gonna make this garden grow  
#14 of 43 Old 06-14-2007, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturegirl7 View Post
I need help dealing with the FLA health dept and the little power trip they are on regarding issuing me a religious exemption form for DS.
I pm'd you with the ph # to the fl state dept of imm, I had my issue straightened out within the hour!!! If your public health dept is uninformed when it comes to what is required to claim a religious exemption, this state dept will clear it up in no time.

Also be sure to ask what info you must provide, (birth cerificate, ssn etc) because last I checked, the ssn was OPTIONAL, not required, but they said they needed for id verf, so a bc should be sufficient.

Good luck.
#15 of 43 Old 06-14-2007, 09:02 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
the ssn was OPTIONAL, not required
Yes, ssn IS optional, fro my understanding, as well.

homeschooling, earth loving Mama to 3 crazy, wonderful boys, ages 10 & 7, & 3 mos.,3 spirit babies                                Inch by inch, row by row.  Gonna make this garden grow  
#16 of 43 Old 06-14-2007, 10:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CallMeMommy View Post
I'd ask to see all of these "policies" in writing before I'd agree to any of them :
I second that!!!!
Ask for it in written form and I would not take dc with me next time! I would not let this harrassment effect my child, unless they show it to me in black and white!
#17 of 43 Old 06-15-2007, 02:08 AM

Im sorry to hear you had such a hard time. I am in Lake co and no one said a word to me when I went in to get my exemption, they were so nice and cooperative, even though I was expecting the opposite. No appt, no ?'s, no hassle, no ss#, just a signature on the form they provided me.
Im glad someone gave you a contact phone # to file a complaint. I would love to hear an update from you.
#18 of 43 Old 06-15-2007, 03:11 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
michelle, if you decide to use a birth cert for id (which is NOT required!) do not allow the nurse to make and keep a copy of it. that way you cant end up on the registry.

Bring back the old MDC
#19 of 43 Old 06-15-2007, 03:19 PM

You do not need to get a different one for every county. It is a state form. It does have a stamp for your county office, but I don't think you should need a new one when you move.

Also, for me, there was a long, long wait, but no video and no counseling.

HTH!
#20 of 43 Old 06-15-2007, 05:34 PM - Thread Starter

Well I just got off the phone with Bureau of Immunization up in Tallahassee. Toni from KNOW Vax Awareness - the FLA rep got back to me with tons of great info and the name and number of who to call in Tallahassee.

I spoke with Vivienne Treharne 850-245-4444 X 2384

She was polite and fairly helpful - still managed to sneak in there that not vaxing "could have incredibly negative outcomes that parents may not be aware of such as contracting the disease" (chicken pox was her example!) and illuding to death - but I had to appreciate HOW she worked it into the conversation (to explain WHY handing out literature/watching the video is required). VERY smooth.

Honestly she was very polite, very apologetic, very baffled at why they were requesting/insisting that DS be present, have insurance cards, etc. She did get a bit defensive about the whole word "counseling" cuz that is a big NoNo - major noncompliance issue - she of course stated that the person must be using that word to mean offering educational material - not "counseling" - that it was a individuals poor word choice, that no true counseling is offered, just educational material - ie the stupid video. And supposedly the video if because "not all individuals have the same reading capacity" - basically Vero Beach thinks that people are too stupid to read, and therefore makes everyone watch the video instead just making it known that it is available - or just that they can't be sure you are reading the handouts and want to make sure you get every last dose of scare tactics. plus they probably enjoy the hassle it is to parents to sit and watch that video with young children to occupy. It makes me think of the animals at the circus
They are the animal trainers, with all the power. They like to prod the elephant so that she stands up on her back legs and dances for the crowd, all the while a heavy chain wrapped around an ankle and dragging behind her.....

Anyways - She did state that the SS card was to get him into the FLA SHOTS registry - which of course she made sound like the greatest thing in the world - oh, he'll be in the database as being exempt so all the schools and peds will know that. Uh isn;t that what the 681 form is for? We are definitely excluding ourselves from that one! No way I want him tracked as an exempt kid - that means if they decide that exempt kids are no longer exempt and suddenly need to get vaxed (which they could do if they declare a special health crisis) then they can just print out the list and bang down our doors sooner - no thanks! I atleast want time to get him out of the state before they show up on my door!

anyways I digress yet again! - she is contacting the county dept head and nursing supervisor to find out why so much misinformation was given to me and if they have some new policy (re: DS being present) that she is not aware of. Someone from there is supposed to call me back.

Hopefully this will smooth things out for Tuesday - I will go the appt, with my request letter in tow and that is it! No DS, SS card, no records, no exemption paperwork from PA, no video watching, no counseling accepting.

I know I could go up to Melbourne and breeze right thru - but at this point, I want the idiots in Vero to be forced to comply with the law and give me my exemption - and not by their little "policies" either. Then maybe they will think twice about harassing another parent.

Plus over the weekend I will draft a nice formal written complaint to forward to the Dept of Health.
#21 of 43 Old 06-18-2007, 06:46 PM

I am not aware of any requirement that involves literature and a video before giving the waiver form. I don't think FL requirements have changed, I will have to see what I can find. I was not given any information or required to sit thru any propaganda before being given the form.

If FL law hasn't changed, then it sounds like the state rep you spoke with wasn't familiar either with what's required for the religious exemption.

I will see if I can find any updates to the law.
#22 of 43 Old 06-19-2007, 03:22 PM - Thread Starter

update in first post....
#23 of 43 Old 06-19-2007, 03:57 PM

The law hasn't changed, it's still just this simple statement,

"(a) The parent of the child objects in writing that the administration of immunizing agents conflicts with his or her religious tenets or practices;"

that's it, nothing more, nothing less....

and I would demand anyone requesting anything additional to show you WHERE in the state law are these additional requirements written.

Print out a copy of the law and take it with you if needed.

http://www.flsenate.gov/Statutes/ind...->Section%2022

Also see this, the ssn on the religious waiver has nothing to do with the SHOTS program, there is a completely different form for opting out of that program, no where does it state you are automatically opted out by submitting a religious exemption.

BEGIN COPY/PASTE:

7) Florida SHOTS (State Health Online Tracking System) Opt Out Provision - Parents or guardians may elect to decline participation in the Florida immunization registry, Florida SHOTS, by completing a DH Form 1478, Florida SHOTS Notification and Opt Out Form, as incorporated by reference in subsection 64D-3.011(10), F.A.C. and returning the form to the Department of Health. The immunization records of children whose parents choose to opt-out will not be shared with other entities that are allowed by law to have access to the child's immunization record via authorized access to Florida SHOTS.

(8) Florida SHOTS Private Provider Participation - Any health care practitioner licensed in Florida under Chapter 458, 459 or 464, Florida Statutes may request authorization to access Florida SHOTS by filling out a DOH Form 1479, Authorized Private Provider User Agreement for Access to Florida SHOTS (Florida State Health Online Tracking System), as incorporated by reference in subsection 64D-3.011(10), F.A.C. The DOH Form 1479 will be returned to the Department of Health for processing and authorization to access Florida SHOTS. Notification of access approval and instructions for accessing Florida SHOTS will be provided by the Department of Health. The authorized user and the applicable licensing authority or agency shall notify the Department of Health Bureau of Immunization Florida SHOTS personnel when an authorized user's license or registration has expired or has been suspended or revoked.

END COPY/PASTE

http://www.doh.state.fl.us/Disease_c...munity/64d.htm

Here's the form to opt out, must be signed by the parent making the request,

http://www.flshots.org/_pdfs/OptOutDH-1478.pdf

All this leads me to believe you didn't speak with a knowledgable person at the state dept.

And here are the Florida Immunization Guidelines spelled out,

http://www.doh.state.fl.us/Disease_c...choolguide.pdf

You should print this out for your records because they keep changing the links to it. At the very least, print page 18 which explains the religious exemption but mentions NOTHING about any other requirements to obtain,

VI. Religious Exemption from Immunization (DH 681)
A. Request for Religious Exemption:
1. A request for a religious exemption from immunization requirements
must be presented on the Department of Health’s Religious Exemption
From Immunization form (DH 681).
2. The DH 681 is issued ONLY by county health departments and ONLY
for a child who is not immunized because of his/her family’s religious
tenets or practices.

{my note, they have since updated this information, as of March 2007, and lookie lookie what they added to # 2 above. So obviously we are having some IMPACT with these people,}

If a parent requests such an exemption, the county health department staff must use the current DH 681 Form, which has been signed by the parent affirming the written statement on the form that a religious conflict exists.

This form must be issued upon request.

No other information should be solicited from the parent or guardian.

**********************end of newly added info **************

B. Completion of DH 681: The following information must be completed on the
DH 681:
1. The child's complete name, date of birth, and parent or guardian’s name.
The child’s social security number (SS#) is optional.
2. Parent's (or guardian's) signature and date of signature.
3. County health department stamp, signature of the county health
department director/administrator or their authorized designee, and date
the form is issued.
C. Retention of Form: The DH 681 will be kept on file at the school, preschool,
child care facility, or family day care home in order to facilitate identification
of any unimmunized/susceptible children needing exclusion during an
outbreak of a vaccine-preventable disease.
D. Consistency With Florida Law: Requests for religious exemption from
immunizations should be consistent with section 232.032, Florida Statutes.
Exemptions for personal or philosophical reasons are not permitted
under Florida law.
#24 of 43 Old 06-19-2007, 05:06 PM - Thread Starter

thanks, she made it seem like without a SS# he could not be put into the SHOTS program, never said there was a specific opt-out form I needed to sign.
GRRRR!
#25 of 43 Old 06-19-2007, 06:19 PM

that is horrid Michelle! you should come to the office here in Martin, I never heard of that happening here.

I'm Andrea - I have three boys - 12 year old twins & an 11 year old

#26 of 43 Old 06-19-2007, 07:11 PM - Thread Starter

I plan to go to another office with my next child/children - I just wanted to make them give me the exemption since they seemed to be so against doing so. I just hope I haven't landed myself on some list somewhere.....
#27 of 43 Old 06-19-2007, 07:51 PM

Wow, that is crazy. FWIW I went to a junior college, a state school, and a private college, and NEVER was I asked for a vaccine record. I don't even have my own vaccine record. That is just so weird to me!
#28 of 43 Old 06-20-2007, 12:17 PM

Well, I just lost my post.

So here it is in a nutshell. All the points you listed were lies. I have two children with exemptions they have had since K and they have moved and changed schools. One form per child is needed, plain and simple. One is going into 7th grade this year, the other will be in 3rd. And to date, neither has missed any school because of an outbreak. So no issues in 7 years and counting.

Colleges have to accept exemptions just like the schools. No one can force you to vaccinate. I wish you would have printed the state law and had it with you to shove in her face and demand where all that garbage is stated in the law.

Read the law I linked to, it explains what happens during an outbreak. Hint, nothing close to the garbage Wanda told you.

And what does the disease have to do with a religious exemption? Absolutely nothing, so why would they show someone claiming a relgious exemption the video ? Tell them to save it for people who are declining vaccines due to other reasons that are not religious. You should have asked if they are trying to convert you, if not, then why show a video to someone objecting to vaccines on RELIGIOUS GROUNDS..... unless they were attempting to determine the validity of your request.

Do not call and ask for the same person at the state dept, she is obviously siding with your health dept.

Ask for a supervisor and go over the points you listed here and how they told you the SSN was required for the SHOTS. I don't even remember at this point who exactly gave you THAT bogus info.

When you get a supervisor on the phone, ask them exactly what is required to obtain a religious exemption in the state of FL. If they give you the right answer (and if you have read the state statutes you will know if you are getting the correct answer) then proceed to let them know what your health dept is doing (and the scare mongering )and also advise them that their own rep is backing them up, (didn't she say the video is required?) She should be reported as well.

If you get that far, ask where you can address a written complaint about your health dept, (I would include the state rep who backed them up)

For the HIPAA violation, here's a link to help, and a copy/paste, no copyright voilation because it's a .gov site.

http://www.hipaa.ihs.gov/index.cfm?module=faq

Q. How do I report HIPAA Privacy violation.

A. If you believe that a person, agency or organization covered under the HIPAA Privacy Rule ("a covered entity") violated your (or someone else's ) health information privacy rights or committed another violation of the Privacy Rule, you may file a complaint with the Office for Civil Rights (OCR). OCR has authority to receive and investigate complaints against covered entities related to the Privacy Rule. A covered entity is a health plan, health care clearinghouse, and any health care provider who conducts certain health care transactions electronically. For more information about the Privacy Rule, please look at our responses to Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) and our Privacy Guidance. (See the web link near the bottom of this form.)

Complaints to the Office for Civil Rights must: (1) Be filed in writing, either on paper or electronically; (2) name the entity that is the subject of the complaint and describe the acts or omissions believed to be in violation of the applicable requirements of the Privacy Rule; and (3) be filed within 180 days of when you knew that the act or omission complained of occurred. OCR may extend the 180-day period if you can show "good cause." Any alleged violation must have occurred on or after April 14, 2003 (on or after April 14, 2004 for small health plans), for OCR to have authority to investigate.

Anyone can file written complaints with OCR by mail, fax, or email. If you need help filing a complaint or have a question about the complaint form, please call this OCR toll free number: 1-800-368-1019. OCR has ten regional offices, and each regional office covers certain states. You should send your complaint to the appropriate OCR Regional Office, based on the region where the alleged violation took place. Use the OCR Regions list at the end of this Fact Sheet, or you can look at the regional office map to help you determine where to send your complaint. Complaints should be sent to the attention off the appropriate OCR Regional Manager.

You can submit your complaint in any written format. We recommend that you use the OCR Health Information Privacy Complaint Form which can be found on our web site or at an OCR Regional office. If you prefer, you may submit a written complaint in your own format. Be sure to include the following information in your written complaint:

Your name, full address, home and work telephone numbers, email address.

If you are filing a complaint on someone's behalf, also provide the name of the person on whose behalf you are filing.

Name, full address and phone of the person, agency or organization you believe violated your (or someone else's) health information privacy rights or committed another violation of the Privacy Rule.

Briefly describe what happened. How, why, and when do believe your (or someone else's) health information privacy rights were violated, or the Privacy Rule otherwise was violated?

Any other relevant information.

Please sign your name and date your letter.
The following information is optional:

Do you need special accommodations for us to communicate with you about this complaint?
If we cannot reach you directly, is there someone else we can contact to help us reach you?
Have you filed your complaint somewhere else?
The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid has a detailed FAQs section on Transaction and Code Sets and Security Standards on their WEB site.

The Office of Civil Rights has a detailed FAQs section on Privacy Standards on their WEB site.
HTH, and please keep us updated.
#29 of 43 Old 06-20-2007, 03:54 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much for all that info!

I have printed out all the other law stuff you posted too - just wish I had checked here before going to the HD. Oh well.
The state rep was fairly good - stated that the video was not required, that I didn't need any insurance info (unless I discovered that I didn't have religious objections to a specific vaccine and decided to get it at that point :Puke ), that DS was not required to be present nor sumbit to any exam (which she called them to "confirm they didn't have a policy I don't know about"), that they were required to provide education but not counseling, etc. She called to talk to them and supposedly it was "straightened out"

It was the people in the IRC HD that never followed thru. They will getting reported. I have an email in to Toni from KNOW with what happened this time....I guess I should call the state rep again too and make her aware of everything that happened....Maybe I should email it instead so that it in writing....

I thought that everything she said was a lot of crap - and I did challenge her on everything - the need for a new form since the statue states only one is required, the lack of religious exemption in colleges, the "quarentine" issue since the statue only states he would not be allowed to go to school. I wish I had had the law in hand at that point to make her prove it though. Maybe I should call her and ask her exactly where in says in writing, in the laws, that they could do any of these things....
#30 of 43 Old 06-20-2007, 04:18 PM

Oh great.. I hope my area is nice :-/ DS is only 9 weeks old but I already dread the interview... that's insane what you went through and I sure hope these HD get educated on this!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page