Xpost from FYT- CA and nursing school/private colleges and vax requirements? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 12 Old 10-12-2008, 03:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I really want to enter either the RD (registered dietican) program at Loma Linda University or an LVN/RN program somewhere else. I will not vax, and am wondering if there is a way around that requirement. For Loma Linda, they require it for all of their degree programs, and since they are private I have no idea if they will accept a waiver.

And I know that all RN/LVN, heck even CNA programs "require" vaxes. Is there a way around this?

Any help is greatly appreciated

Thanks,
Kristi

"Have faith in yourself and in the direction you have chosen." Ralph Marston

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 12 Old 10-12-2008, 10:35 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
There have been a few posts like this in the past.

I teach nursing or a large university. Although the college will most likely accept your excemption, if you need to do a rotation in a local hospital as a requirement of your degree (student nurse, dietary clinical, OT, PT, etc), the hospital sets their own rules and can refuse you entry to their site if you do not meet their vaccination requirements.

Before you start your program I would meet with the person that coordinates all student placements and find out exactly what is required for hospital rotations.

Good luck.
#3 of 12 Old 10-12-2008, 05:21 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, that is helpful. With Loma Linda, it is a private Seventh-Day Adventist college and I have not found any way around the vax requirment, though all the public collleges here have exemptions.

I can get titers done for MMR, and I've had chicken pox, and I will consent to a chest Xray to meet the TB test requirement, so the only issue is Hep B, which I will not get. Sigh.

#4 of 12 Old 10-12-2008, 09:53 PM

I am applying to Texas Women's University and also have no idea if the BSN program will allow me to use a waiver. I didn't think about the hospitals. What if I have a medical waiver from an M.D.?
#5 of 12 Old 10-13-2008, 10:37 AM

Quote:
What if I have a medical waiver from an M.D.?
For hospitals it's not really a matter of who signs the waiver or for what reason. As a student, you are not employed by the hospital, you are allowed access without a license for learning purposes. Therefore, they can decline anyone they want, even if you have a school-accepted waiver.

I don't mean to sound all gloom and doom. Some hospitals may take a waiver, but it is something I would definitely find out ahead of time before you are half-way through a program that you may not be able to complete.
#6 of 12 Old 10-13-2008, 02:11 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
CA's school exemptions include both public and private schools. I found and posted a link to the site on the state of CA website about a month or two ago. You should be able to find it with a search.
#7 of 12 Old 10-13-2008, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grisandole View Post
I really want to enter either the RD (registered dietican) program at Loma Linda University or an LVN/RN program somewhere else. I will not vax, and am wondering if there is a way around that requirement. For Loma Linda, they require it for all of their degree programs, and since they are private I have no idea if they will accept a waiver.

And I know that all RN/LVN, heck even CNA programs "require" vaxes. Is there a way around this?

Any help is greatly appreciated

Thanks,
Kristi
I had no luck with the M.D schools here, and the RN programs when I eventually gave up on the Med degree.

Every vaccination was required, titer tests not allowed, exemptions not allowed.

Mama to expecting Babe 2
#8 of 12 Old 10-14-2008, 05:24 AM - Thread Starter

Sigh So it seems that even if I can get into a school with a waiver, I'll probably still need to vax for the hospital, which doesn't need to accept the waiver. Not going to do it. Which sucks, because I really want to be an RD. I have found a distance ed program so I might go with that...I just wanted to do the classes in person. Not enough to vax, though, lol.

#9 of 12 Old 10-17-2008, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grisandole View Post
Sigh So it seems that even if I can get into a school with a waiver, I'll probably still need to vax for the hospital, which doesn't need to accept the waiver. Not going to do it. Which sucks, because I really want to be an RD. I have found a distance ed program so I might go with that...I just wanted to do the classes in person. Not enough to vax, though, lol.
A wild thought.

If the vaccines are against your religious belief, could a place of work really require you to be vaccinated?
#10 of 12 Old 10-18-2008, 01:25 AM

The problem is that a place of work/employment is different from a clinical site that allows students to visit & learn (without pay, through their school).
#11 of 12 Old 10-18-2008, 06:13 AM

That's really interesting that Loma Linda U. probably won't take the waiver. The SDA faith has a strong emphasis on natural health and vegetarianism. My ex-boyfriend of several years was SDA and went to a SDA college. I should ask him if this issue ever came up at his school or in the greater SDA community. I totally understand that the school and the hospital are two different things, though...
#12 of 12 Old 10-19-2008, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amnesiac View Post
The problem is that a place of work/employment is different from a clinical site that allows students to visit & learn (without pay, through their school).
Bummer

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page