Did any SAHM's watch 60 minutes?? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 10-12-2004, 02:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If so, what did you think of the interview bout SAHM's?
#2 of 5 Old 10-12-2004, 10:44 AM

Doh! Missed it. Actually, I never knew about it. Wonder if they have it online.

Of course, I never know what's on television. Along with the good, this means I also miss the stuff I'd actually be interested in.
#3 of 5 Old 10-20-2004, 01:44 AM

I saw this! I love how the lawyer/philosoper prof thought the ladies were totally whacko and they were completely happy with their decision to stay home and raise their kids..

I cracked up at this comment:

Interviewer: You're saying these women are wrong, they're saying they are right. How can you tell them what is right and wrong?

Lawyer/Philosophy Prof: I'm a philosopher, *I* tell them what is right and wrong.

Ummmm...

HUH//

Leave em alone! They're happy!

Stacey reading.gif Happy wife to Rick coolshine.gif ,homeschooling Mama to Jacob, Noel, Joanna jumpers.gif  and a sweet stork-girl.gif due in the Spring!
#4 of 5 Old 10-20-2004, 03:20 AM

I didn't see the piece but why is it a bad thing to want to stay home with your children? Why is it unbelievable that we could truly be happy doing it? It is possible to be a SAHM and not be under the control of your dh and be very happy. I worked in a high paying professional job for a few years before I got married. I was a single parent for 9 years before I got married. I am much happier now staying home with my children than working. I am an intelligent, educated person and I know that what I'm doing now is much more important than any other "job" I may have.

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

#5 of 5 Old 10-20-2004, 03:14 PM - Thread Starter

Stayseeliz wrote: "I saw this! I love how the lawyer/philosoper prof thought the ladies were totally whacko and they were completely happy with their decision to stay home and raise their kids..

I cracked up at this comment:

Interviewer: You're saying these women are wrong, they're saying they are right. How can you tell them what is right and wrong?

Lawyer/Philosophy Prof: I'm a philosopher, *I* tell them what is right and wrong. Ummmm... Leave em alone! They're happy!"

This professor of evil and ignorance really made me p.o. My wife, though not a professional woman, is doing a tough job by being a SAHM. This prof, I felt, did not honor SAHM's. The prof is a hypocrit as well. She thinks that woman leaving their high powerful jobs are going to hurt choices for other women. These women made the choice to stay at home and their are plenty of high powered jobs for other women. Actually, by women leaving their career, they actually open that position up to be filled possibly by another woman!!! Apparently, the woman's movement has lost some steam and the prof is all in a tizzy and scared that we are going to end up in the 50's. Big difference between the 50's and now. Company's are structured differently. I agree with that Havard professor who said company's have to adapt to keep these women.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page