So You're An Environmentalist - Then Why Are You Still Eating Meat? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 38 Old 01-09-2002, 09:21 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ando2, I totally agree with you that there are too many cows. If people the world over weren't clamoring for bigmacs, I don't think the cow population would be the problem that it is now. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems to me that if cows release methane when they pass gas, wouldn't the same be true of other large mammals: elephants, moose, bison, humans?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 38 Old 01-09-2002, 03:34 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have been a vegetarian for a very long time. Until ten minutes ago when I got an inexplicable craving for some chicken nuggets. Yeah, the bad kind.

So I got them. I started to eat one with lots of ketchup. And then, I promptly dumped it in my lap. On my khakis. At work.

Stupid karma.

edited for spelling errors stemming from my frantic lap scrubbing.

mom to one glorious sweetpea born 10/18/2007.

#33 of 38 Old 01-09-2002, 03:46 PM
pie

I agree that meat should be preety much illegalized. It's mean, period. But that won't happen for a good long time and so I mostly never eat it myself, feed it to my family less often and work toward more ethical treatment of animals, at least while they are alive, by buying local and organic meat. I have read/heard all the arguments against my way of thinking about the subject, but realistically I think I am on to something. First we need to "make nicer" the meat industry. Then we can work toward voluntary prohibition. But I believe you are doing the completely right thing by spreading the word, and standing firmly about your beliefs.
#34 of 38 Old 01-09-2002, 05:44 PM

I am not a veggie so will not be able to add to that part of the discussion, (although I try to be organic and homegrown in my meat purchases)... I do know about cat/dog food. There are several good brands of veggie dog food out there because dogs are omnivorous(sp). Cats on the other had are almost exclusively carnivorous and cannot make it on a veggie diet - they do not have the stomachs for it!

Robin
#35 of 38 Old 01-11-2002, 01:59 PM

Daylily
as per your question above,
I do not have statistics, but yes, elephants pass enormous methane gas,
but there are much less of them, as well as bison etc.

There are too many cows!
#36 of 38 Old 01-11-2002, 02:11 PM
pie

And too many people who want to eat them!
#37 of 38 Old 01-14-2002, 12:34 PM

ando2: you did not mention that you do not consume milk or milk products. If you do, you are still supporting the cow industry, and the meat industry.
#38 of 38 Old 01-14-2002, 07:44 PM

I agree that there should be laws against eating animals. I think it is an extremely cruel practice. It is unnecessary to eat animals when there are so many other healthful things to eat. Also, eating animals causes much more damage and suffering to the eater and the eaten: for example, much of the slaughter of animal species is done so that there can be be agriculture for cows to be fed. Also, we spend trillions feeding cows instead of feeding the world's starving children.

It is so sad for everybody involved. Only the meat producers are benefitting.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page