So You're An Environmentalist - Then Why Are You Still Eating Meat? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 38 Old 01-05-2002, 01:48 AM - Thread Starter
cat

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Not my question -- actually the title of an article by Jim Motavalli, E Magazine.

"Evidence shows a meat-based diet is bad for the environment,
aggravates global hunger, brutalizes animals and compromises
health. So why aren't more environmentalists vegetarians?"

http://www.alternet.org/story.html?StoryID=12162

Any thoughts?
#2 of 38 Old 01-05-2002, 01:49 AM

It's true. Read Diet for a New America. Excellent information on our environment. Or try Food Revolution.

Very interesting stuff!
#3 of 38 Old 01-05-2002, 09:52 AM

great article cat!!!! I have not sent xmas cards for the past two years, as I see it as just another thing that we are suppose to do, that just make me stress out some more, etc. ANYWAY - I think I would like to send out something along these lines, that I feel is a more educational/informational type thing, along with a family letter. I think people would appreciate learning something about life, rather than just another card that they look at and throw away.
#4 of 38 Old 01-05-2002, 10:22 AM

The #1 reaon I became a vegetarian was b/c of my concerns about global warming. The health benefits to myself are just a nice bonus. A few people seem threatened by my choice, so I usually don't talk about it, never preach about it. I think that if you eat a minimal ammount of meat that's free range and organic, then it's probably OK.
#5 of 38 Old 01-05-2002, 10:30 PM

I read this article this afternoon. I studied at an agricultural college, so alot of it was familiar to me.
But to see all the facts lined up like that. I have never been a big meat eater, but I have to say, I think this article swayed me off it.

The kids won't have any problem with a veggie life.....but dh might!! I have never really cared for meat, so I'm easy too.

Expect to see me on the Good Eating board scrounging around for recipes. I want to give the vegan life a shot. I just can't argue that article!!!
#6 of 38 Old 01-05-2002, 11:08 PM

I didn't read the article the first time I posted on this thread but now I have. It's very interesting, but so sad. I emailed it to a couple of my friends.
#7 of 38 Old 01-05-2002, 11:38 PM

I haven't read the article, but I was just reading andrew Weills book "Eating Well for Optimal Health"- he has a section on this topic. He stated how cows produce as much pollution and damage the ozone as much as cars do- from the methane in their gas (referring to the mass amounts of cows raised for the beef industry)... as well as the destruction of the rain forest to create grazing space for cows... The author of "Diet for a Small Planet" also goes into how being vegetarian is beneficial to the enviroment.
I was raised a vegetarian... then went to eating meat when I was 18. I've never been a big meat eater, and most always ate meat from organic farms, free-range, etc. But lately I've realized how expensive it is, and how I don't really need it... and how I can help the enviroment by not eating meat. So, as of this week, I gave up meat... but I do think I will still be eating fish on occassion (the fish from the coop, that is organically farm raised).
Now, if I can only convince dh!
On another note- I also think that anyone who has consciousness about the worlds ecological state, and considers themselves an enviromentalist, would also eat as much organic food as they were able to ( I know financial reasons and availibility often can limit this), and they would also buy in bulk as often as possible- to help cut down on packaging.
#8 of 38 Old 01-05-2002, 11:39 PM

I am an environmentalist and I do not eat meat. Originally, I became vegetarian for purely selfish reasons. I was quitting a job with great health insurance benefits to start my own company. I figured no health insurance meant I HAD TO STAY HEALTHY.

Later, I learned about how I was saving the earth and animals AND how I was saving many many people from starvation.
#9 of 38 Old 01-05-2002, 11:43 PM

My dh and I are trying very hard to be vegetarians, although we occasionally will eat seafood. I was a veg for several years before meeting dh and I didn't miss meat a bit. At some point I caved in and ate a burger or something and gave up my veg diet.

I used to live in an area that had a several major poultry processors and I used to see the trucks with all those chickens crammed in and it made me sooo sad. One day we we saw a dead chicken by the side of he road and we knew he had "escaped" from one of these trucks only to meet his death on the pavement.

I read the article and it reminded me of everything I read years ago in Diet for a New America and Diet for a Small Planet. I now have the encouragement I need to keep away from the meat!
#10 of 38 Old 01-05-2002, 11:54 PM

When my husband and I went vegan, we did it to become healthy.

Then I read Diet for a New America and was glad I was already vegan. We added ethical considerations to our reasons for being vegan. Then we added environmental concern to our reasons.

If someone had told me 10 years ago that I'd be vegan today, I would have told them they were stoned. Now, I wish I had been vegan my entire life. I feel better, look better, and am doing more for the planet eating this way than I ever did eating meat.

That's one of the reasons I started VegFamily.com... to find out how to raise kids vegan. I had no idea. It's been quite a journey and now I help other people learn how to raise their children vegan. I never would have thought it... never.
#11 of 38 Old 01-06-2002, 10:13 AM

It occurred to me that the article didn't mention much about the dairy industry. Are dairy cows treated better than beef cows? Although we (my family) don't eat meat, we do eat dairy and eggs. In the summer I'm able to buy local, organic eggs and in winter I buy supermarket organic or free range eggs. But there's no local source for organic milk. What is worse, buying conventional milk from a local source, or buying organic milk that's been ultra-pasturized and trucked all the way to VA from New England? Maybe that will be my new crusade: to convince local farmers to make organic milk for Virginians.

Also, the article made disturbing allusions to pet food. Is there an alternative to conventional pet food? From a few things I've read, I've got the impression that bagged dog food is an American thing. During an unfortunate domestic mishap, our dog's food caught on fire and it didn't smell at all like burning food or meat. It smelled TOXIC. There were really noxious fumes. Scary! Would our dog be healthy if we fed her table scraps? She loves pasta, cheese, even tofu.
#12 of 38 Old 01-06-2002, 01:44 PM

Daylily,

When we had a dog and a cat, we used to buy the dog vegetarian dog food. They sell it even at the mainstream places like Petsmart (if I remember correctly). We also feed our dog some table scraps-he loved tofu dogs! We could never find vegetarian cat food, though.
#13 of 38 Old 01-06-2002, 02:00 PM
pie

Why do so many environmentally conscious vegans wear leather shoes? I can see if the shoes were purchased pre-owned, but why buy new leather? Anyone out there do this? Why?
#14 of 38 Old 01-06-2002, 02:27 PM

Mampie,

I did a survey on VegFamily where I asked people this very question, about buying/wearing leather shoes. The responses I got seemed to indicate the following.

1. Most vegans only wore leather products they had before going vegan. They stopped buying new ones when they went vegan but didn't want to throw away their old stuff since that would waste the animals life.

2. The ones that DID buy leather after going vegan said it was mainly because non-leather shoes were hard to find or the price difference was beyond their financial capability. Non-Leather vegan shoes can cost $80-$90 compared to the same shoe in leather costing $30-$40.
#15 of 38 Old 01-06-2002, 02:42 PM
pie

Hmmm, interesting perspective. Thank you Erin.
#16 of 38 Old 01-06-2002, 10:56 PM
pie

The only suggestion is to buy used shoes when you can.
#17 of 38 Old 01-07-2002, 01:01 AM

Celestial, check out www.veganstore.com. They sell really nice fake leather Doc Martens. Expensive, but very very nice!
#18 of 38 Old 01-07-2002, 04:27 AM
pie

I juat wanted to say I am not being snotty about vegans in leather shoes. It was honest curiosity. Wanted to make myself clear!
#19 of 38 Old 01-07-2002, 05:05 AM

I am environmentally conscious vegetarian (working my way to veganism) and I don't wear leather shoes. My husband found this place to mail-order our dress shoes (we are both lawyers) although I was very happy with $9.00 Payless Shoes pumps-black.

Celestial, I will try to get you the information on these shoes that we buy-they are VERY nice. I'll ask dh tomorrow.
#20 of 38 Old 01-07-2002, 01:53 PM

Mampie, I didn't think you were being snotty at all. I sensed a genuine curiosity.
#21 of 38 Old 01-07-2002, 04:48 PM

Yammer, I can't tell if you are naughty or sarcastic? Wink.

Either way, I can't wait to pass the article on to Mr.TH. I have not been big into meat but have found it hard to eat at anothers house without making a huge fuss over not being served meat. How do you do it?
#22 of 38 Old 01-07-2002, 06:08 PM
pie

Nice to see you Yammer.
#23 of 38 Old 01-07-2002, 07:06 PM

It can be tough to be a vegetarian guest in a meat eating household. My MIL is always confused about what to serve when we stay with them even though I tell her not to make anything special for me and that I'll fill up on side dishes. I can tell she doesn't approve of mine and my children's diet, but she tries to be accomodating. Once she made a meatless lasagna for me because we were going to a party where sausage was the main course. Of course my mean SIL had to ask why the lasagna didn't have meat and when she learned it was for me, the nasty comments started. Her word for vegetarians is "one of THOSE."
#24 of 38 Old 01-07-2002, 11:03 PM

I come from a very meaty background, but I haven't eaten it myself since
1987. I will eat seafood sometimes. When someone asks me why am I
a vegetarian I will say,
"think of any reason why someone would not eat meat?"
and the person thinks and thinks, and then they answer,
and whatever the answer is, I say,
"that's why!!! Now think of another reason!" ...and so on.

Most people know it is not good.

I am also pretty racist against cows. If there is one thing on this planet I
am racist against, I say it is cows. What a bunch of trouble. I think they
should be put on a space ship, all of them, and catapulted to Neptune or
something. All the sh*& and carbon monoxide emitted, water they drink,
droughts they cause (mostly due to our whopper/big mac fetish), all the
grass and whatever they eat. I say lets get rid of all but 100 of them. Things
will get better fast.

I also live across the street from two illegal chicken houses. You go in
pick out your chicken and they kill it for you. It smells real bad especially at
night. These places are teeming with people. And at 3 in the morning, there
are huge semi's with crates crammed to the hilt with screaming chickens,
no matter how freezing it is out, and these men are just tossing the crates
onto the ground. It's horrendous. Several times over the past years I have
super glued the doors to these places. Just so they lose several hours
business.
#25 of 38 Old 01-08-2002, 11:11 AM

The cows themselves aren't the problem, it's the farmers and ranchers who own them and the people who insist on eating them. If there wasn't such a demand for meat, there wouldn't be so many cows causing environmental problems. If cows were on the verge of extinction, I'd probably be involved in some sort of "save the cows" campaign.
#26 of 38 Old 01-08-2002, 03:52 PM

Daylily
there's too many of 'em!!!!
#27 of 38 Old 01-08-2002, 06:36 PM

Mamapie--

I don't do leather anything else, but I have serious foot problems (extra bones in my feet along with the highest arches you've ever seen). I wear what the dr. tells me and whatever will take my bulky orthotics, because I want to stay active and avoid/postpone surgery. It has become pretty impossible to avoid leather. However, I take good care of my shoes so that they last a decent amount of time and are good to my feet. I also don't buy shoes frivolously; I only have a few pair. When ds is old enough for shoes, I will buy him "proper" shoes, because I want him to avoid the pain I've experienced. I think that when you are active and not in a car a lot , you may have to compromise a bit on shoes.

Kristine
#28 of 38 Old 01-08-2002, 07:11 PM
pie

Well, hey, if as anation we only ate say, one 4 oz serving of well treated cattle a week, bought only say, 3 pairs of shoes a year, and ate much much less dairy, didn't use leather for our cars, etc., then we wouldn't have quite the problems we do. Reduce your usage of everything: total elimination isn't always neccessary. Well, sometimes it is but not always. Ms. Mamapie On-the-Fence says: Moderation and good judgement are the keys to a healthy planet!
#29 of 38 Old 01-08-2002, 09:23 PM

Mampie, I think I read a statistic that said if everyone cut down their meat and dairy consumption by a mere 10% it would free up enough grain to feed the world.

So, 10% people... next time you want a burger, have a veggie burger instead. Just once a week.
#30 of 38 Old 01-09-2002, 02:13 AM - Thread Starter
cat

Unfortunately, moderation doesn't work if you're a cow or a chicken.

For some additional -- and rather unsettling -- reading, I'm posting the link to an incredible piece in the Washington Post entitled "They Die Piece by Piece." This article caused Congress to act. If anyone can eat meat after reading this...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp...60798-2001Apr9

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page