Is the personal still political? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 01-23-2002, 09:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
In what ways is the personal political for you?
#2 of 10 Old 01-25-2002, 04:22 AM

Like how? Can you give an example?
#3 of 10 Old 01-25-2002, 04:30 AM
pie

Do you mean like my choice regarding wearing a bra, or makeup or stilletto heels? Whether to shop at the supermarket or the local veggie stand? Whether to watch TV or not? Really, anything you do in life is completely a political choice. Every pebble thrown creates a ripple.

Is that what you meant?
#4 of 10 Old 01-25-2002, 10:28 AM - Thread Starter

Any of these things I guess. I was interested in what you all thought. I feel that my choices are political to a degree. What things I choose and choose not to buy. The way I relate to my peers. Certainly the way I raise my DS. I just wondered how the rest of the community felt.
#5 of 10 Old 01-25-2002, 12:48 PM
pie

Oh, I TOTALLY agree with you on that debm. Our daily lives make such an impact. Money is god in America in so many ways and where we choose to spend our money really determines our commitment to worship....
#6 of 10 Old 01-25-2002, 01:23 PM

Thanks for bringing this up. I've noticed among our activist male friends (a few) recently that their politics don't seem to come into play in their personal lives vis a vis their relationships with partners. I think they would all consider themselves "feminists" yet they tend to act more like teenage boys in their relationships. One friend who went through a messy break up with another friend of ours characterized his new girlfriend as more of a feminist than the old because she knew how to "be one of the guys." How nuts is that!?

In our own lives it's a day by day balancing act and so hard to see every choice as a political choice. I feel like we're undoing the habits we developed long before we came to our current "consciousness." Sometimes money is a concern, so we buy from grocery retailers when we have to. Now that we have a little one, though, I feel much more impelled to shop conscienciously.
#7 of 10 Old 01-25-2002, 01:30 PM
pie

What a great point. I too know many 'free thinking revolutionaries' that never ever lend a hand around the house, and ask where dinner is, etc. That REALLY gets my panties in a wad. My dh is a registered Republican and he cooks and does laundry!! I just don't think you can be enlightened if you are still a sexist housemate.
#8 of 10 Old 01-25-2002, 02:30 PM

I know this isn't what the thread is about but I wanted to add that as soon as I started to know my dh, I braged to a friend that he was a feminist and they looked at me with "deer in the headlights" look. Anyway, he is a feminist because he does believe in womans rights... as am I.

The term feminism has become such a negative word in American English. So sad to me.

I take money personally. Really it isn't the money but the attitude behind the money that drives me bonkers. Do you know what I mean? Here in America it is all about what we have that makes us what and who we are. Barf! Give me a break.

I am also bugged (please don't flame me for this) at my Christian sisters and brothers who profess to care about the poor/wounded/widowers, etc, but who have never donated time, $, prayers to anyone in need but themselves. Okay that might be a generalization but I think you know what I mean.

There are so many things I could talk about but I am not sure I am on the right page. Do any of you know what I am talking about? Do I understand the thread correctly?
#9 of 10 Old 01-25-2002, 02:33 PM
pie

Seems to me you are talking about hypocrisy, and I would think there is room for that in this thread...
#10 of 10 Old 01-25-2002, 02:38 PM
pie

Although in all fairness, Tripke, re Christians, there are plenty of liberals who work for questionable finance firms, and many feminists who do all the housework, and many members of the Green Party who shop at WalMart from time to time ( me!) so hypocrisy is a part of us all we each need to battle...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page