#91 of 103 Old 03-29-2003, 01:15 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
#92 of 103 Old 03-29-2003, 03:05 AM

nteresting, tough question, about legalization.
i have a different take on drugs since developing a meditation practice. buddhism eschews them and i now think of drug usage primarily as a way to escape psychic/existential/emotional pain that should instead be felt and explored with curiosity.
(that said, i still have a glass of wine or beer some evenings, and in college and through my 20s i was an occasional pot smoker. tried coke 2-3 times but was frightened by how strong a pull it had and avoided it. i've always been curious about the psychedelics but afraid to lose control to that extent.)
i definitely agree with decriminalization, but then again, i think our entire criminal justice system is off-base, mistaking most crime as the problem instead of a symptom of deeper pain/dysfunction, but that's another post.
i'm not sure how i feel about legalizing though. i think the harder it is to get, the better. i think the way we raise kids and the socioeconomic ills we have in this society create so much pain to be numbed, that it's better not to have easy access to drugs.
and yet, if i weren't a mom, i'd probably still smoke pot from time to time. i liked it. heck, my vipassana meditation teacher admits to having kicked a serious pot addiction, and i'm almost certain he did psychedelics as well.
i will probably tell my kids, if they ask, about my experiences with drugs, with a warning to watch how drugs affect them and to be very careful if they are going to experiment.
fwiw,
susan
#93 of 103 Old 03-30-2003, 08:54 PM

HA, just thinking about the state of the world and the fact the GWB is still in office is enough to make anyone want to do drugs, pass the doobie
#94 of 103 Old 03-30-2003, 09:09 PM

LOL Arduinna....

I have never tried drugs..I am pretty sensitive to meds anyways...and have lots of allergy problems...so there was really not much point when my allergy meds made me pretty stoned, I hated that feeling so much I never bothered trying anything else...

Not all those who wander are lost 
#95 of 103 Old 03-30-2003, 09:14 PM

well, not to promote drug use (as I said in a previous post I don't use anymore except cyberly LOL) But pot never gave me that amped feeling you get from antihistime/allergy type meds. I hate that speedy wired feeling.

a nice relaxing calm works for me
#96 of 103 Old 04-30-2003, 05:51 AM

since the activism party got started again, thought I would bump this one.

anyone else want to share????

Q for you all: For those that partake, what are you teaching your kids about drugs.
#97 of 103 Old 04-30-2003, 09:12 AM

Alright, completely OT, but:
Hilary, your sig. nearly made me spit coffee all over my computer. Here I sit, eyes half closed, and I looked and read... then re-read... then re-read again... I was like, what in God's name IS THIS???
Oh, yes, what we are teaching kids about drugs... hard call. I guess, firstly, distinguishing that there are ENORMOUS differences between different types of drugs. Basically, my kids will know that D.A.R.E. is a complete, total load of crap and that pot and heroin are NOT the same thing. Not even close. They will understand the truth and propaganda behind drugs... they will know exactly what each one does does the mind, body and soul. Ultimately, it is up to them. I think some trips to some heroin/crack/cocaine detox facilities would do wonders for a good drug education
#98 of 103 Old 05-01-2003, 03:04 PM

I totally agree with candiland...and I also plan on teaching my dd about all of the facts about legal drugs like alcohol and cigarettes...just because its legal doesn't mean its better than some of the illegal ones...I feel the opposite...I would much rather smoke a joint at a concert than get drunk and smoke a cigarette...and its my desicion...it shouldn't be up to someone else to decide what I put in my own body...
#99 of 103 Old 05-01-2003, 03:41 PM

I've never done any illegal drugs, not even once.

I do support the legalization of hemp and think it should be legal to grow pot for yourself. If we're going to have illegal plants, let's at least outlaw invasive species like kudzu before we outlaw pot.
#100 of 103 Old 05-01-2003, 03:55 PM

Even those who don't partake have to do mucho education with our kids (my dh drinks occasionally)...................

I come from a long, long line of addicts. I do not think it is a strictly environmental thing; it is also genetic.

El
#101 of 103 Old 05-04-2003, 05:31 AM

was i imagining it, or did i hear on the radio that canada either has or is about to decriminalize marijuana? i was on the toilet, and rushed in to hear, but by then they were talking about s'thing else..
#102 of 103 Old 05-04-2003, 01:47 PM

I heard that as well. They were only wanting to decriminalize possesion of small amounts and small time growing. Trafficers will still be prosecuted.

Not all those who wander are lost 
#103 of 103 Old 05-04-2003, 05:40 PM

I don't know much about Canada, but in California we voted yes on medical marijuana, yet Rums and the feds will not acknowledge the law, so it is legal state, but not federly. I have friends who have a presription from their doctor to use it medically. However, you can be charged and go in front of a judge. Then, you have to prove you are taking it medically. So, I along with others choose not to take it medically even though our doctors have hinted at it helping, because we do not want to be arrested for something that is supposed to be legal! I think even having to go in front of a judge would be bad for my son! KWIM? Anyway, I am really mad about this law and how it should be helping people.
My.02
Isleta
Oh and about hte anti commercials-here there is a billboard with the son of an accused grower for medical marijuana saying "my dad is not a criminal" How do you feel about that one?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page