Should Scott Peterson be charged with 1 or 2 murders? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 47 Old 04-25-2003, 02:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I agree whoever did it should be tried for two murders. It is soo sad I have cried about it at night. She looked so radiantly happy to be pregnant, and something horrible happened to her as well as the little baby. WHy would someone do this, esp. a father??

Evergreen- Loving my girls Dylan dust.gifage8, Ava energy.gifage 4 and baby Georgia baby.gif (6/3/11).

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 47 Old 04-25-2003, 03:19 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Absolutely, whoever did this must be charged with 2 murders.

Quote:
He already knows this.. If it isn't tearing him up that he did it now, why would it tear him up after the fact... All he going to be miserable about is getting caught...

I'm of two minds about this. I think usually this is correct. Murderers like this are monsters and there's a reason we just can't imagine why they do the things they do. They don't think the way we do.

But then there's Andrea Yeats, who clearly was mentally ill. She's a dreadfull person who chased her oldest child around the house in order to drown him(her?). We discussed this here at mdc and someone pointed out that there's going to come a time when she might be of a clear mind, in prison maybe, when she's required to take proper medications. In her sane mind she'll have to live with the knowledge that her sick self murdered all of her children. I personally can imagine no greater hell.

Someone moved my effing cheese.
#33 of 47 Old 04-28-2003, 02:27 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Two. Whoever killed her killed two people. Not to mention that Laci wanted very much to have her baby, she had named him, etc.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
14yo ds   11yo dd  9yo ds and 7yo ds and 2yo ds  
#34 of 47 Old 04-30-2003, 09:17 PM

One murder, unfortunately.

Connor was not born yet. He had no legal rights as an independent, individual person because he was a fetus not a legal person. The legal definition of personhood as I understand it is that a person must be born.

So while I grieve for Connor's short life (and yes, I do believe fetuses are alive in utero, it's medically absurd to believe otherwise because they can obviously die), I don't think Scott should be charged with his murder.

And I hope he rots in hell if it's proven he killed Laci and by extension, his own son.
#35 of 47 Old 05-02-2003, 12:26 AM

By California law someone can be tried for the murder of an unborn child if the mother is at least 7 weeks along.

Not all those who wander are lost 
#36 of 47 Old 05-02-2003, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jojo
I have been watching the news and have heard a few debates on this. The main argument given is that he should not be charged with the murder of a "viable fetus" since it was not born. I have been reading throught the thread regarding abortion and have been thinking a lot on my views about this in general. My first thought when seeing the Scott Peterson debate on the news was that sure he should be charged with both murders. Then my hubby said, then you have to be pro-life too (in terms of the fetus being a person with rights and so on). Anyway, we had a big discussion about whether or not he should be charged with both.
You don't neccessarily have to be pro life. Most people are not all one way or the other. Laci truly wanted the baby and thought her husband did, too. Thus, I believe, Mr. Peterson should be charged with two murders.
#37 of 47 Old 05-02-2003, 08:07 PM

Really, Abimommy? I didn't know that!

In that case, I'm all for two!

#38 of 47 Old 05-02-2003, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by marcy74
n my opinion, it's a much worse fate to spend the rest of your long life in prison, getting raped by the inmates and struggling for survival - Marcy
I wholeheartedly agree. If it is Mr. Peterson who killed these two people, he is such a pretty boy he shouldn't have much time to be alone IYKWIM. Also, if at some point he finds his "soul", he may well be left to fester with remorse. Kind of like Susan whatsername who killed her kids to be with a man. I'm soooo glad she's sitting in prison. Gives her a long time to think about what she did.
#39 of 47 Old 05-02-2003, 11:42 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
All last week on Larry King theyve had various lawyers on discussing the case. Then Scotts father called in, pissed that they were essentially saying he is guilty, when scotts family believe in his innocence.

Im sure the prosecuter has ALOT of incriminating evidence against scott, or they wouldnt have arrested him.

I think he should be tried for 2 murders, as the baby could have lived if born the day Laci died.

From what the lawyers have been saying............some of the evidence sounds like it was premeditated.
#40 of 47 Old 05-30-2003, 01:39 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I kind of am dusting off this thread because I heard something on NPR today which was interesting and I didn't think it was exactly covered here on this thread.

In Roe Versus Wade.... basically the law is that the woman and her doctor have control over the fetus. THROUGH the 2nd trimester.
After the 2nd trimester, the fetus is protected by authorities greater than woman& doctor. the fetus then is protected by state/fed.

So, with that in mind.... since the death of connor occured in the third trimester his death really does not jeopardize roe v. wade. And I think Scott should be tried for his murder too.

now on a similiar note and one that may have already been covered here in Activism..... but last month Gov. Jeb Bush appointed a guardian to protect the life of an unborn baby. This baby is inside an institutionalized woman who is 22 and severely developmentally disabled and autistic. She lives with cerebral palsy and seizure disorder. She cannot speak. She can't stand or take a step without assistance. She weighs only 88 pounds.

"In April, say officials of the Department of Children and Families, they discovered she was approximately five months pregnant. She is unable to consent to sexual intercourse. Her pregnancy is a result of rape. Doctors stress that her disabilities are multiple and severe, making this a high-risk pregnancy that endangers her life. "

http://www.workers.org/ww/2003/prochoice0529.php

What is most sad and telling....is the gov. did not appoint a guardian for this woman. First and foremost thought, protect the fetus. Not the mom.

I guess it is an agenda.

Check out New Moon on my Astrology Site

http://tracyastrosalon.blogspot.com/

#41 of 47 Old 05-30-2003, 03:09 AM

I think he should be charged with two. That baby would of lived if the mother was not killed. I hope he does go to the eletric chair for this. He doesnt show one bit of remorse. What kind of person is this. I Believe a eye for a eye 100% Make me sick to know there is people out there killing their children. Sick!

Trabot.. I agree that the woman should of also been appointed a gardian. This is a different thread but should be talked about. I dont think they should kill that child either. If she (the mother) isnt going to be harmed in the process of giving birth. But we all really could be harmed during labor. there is always that risk. But still this is a different thread. Anyhow
#42 of 47 Old 05-30-2003, 03:05 PM

Someone in my town wrote an editorial saying that since a woman can have an abortion without her husband's consent, a man should then be able to cause his wife to lose her baby without her consent.

Sadly, it was a woman who wrote this.
#43 of 47 Old 05-30-2003, 03:17 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
a man should then be able to cause his wife to lose her baby without her consent.

wow. Pretty callous, I'm sure the rocha family really would appreciate that line of thinking.
I hope there were letters written in response to THAT editorial.

Check out New Moon on my Astrology Site

http://tracyastrosalon.blogspot.com/

#44 of 47 Old 11-12-2004, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madison
One murder, unfortunately.

Connor was not born yet. He had no legal rights as an independent, individual person because he was a fetus not a legal person. The legal definition of personhood as I understand it is that a person must be born.

So while I grieve for Connor's short life (and yes, I do believe fetuses are alive in utero, it's medically absurd to believe otherwise because they can obviously die), I don't think Scott should be charged with his murder.

And I hope he rots in hell if it's proven he killed Laci and by extension, his own son.
Yeah, my husband and I were wondering how someone can be legally charged with murdering someone who doesn't legally exist.
I guess like someone else said, it varies from state to state.

(Can't a mother be charged with a crime if the unborn baby dies to her using drugs?)
#45 of 47 Old 11-13-2004, 12:46 AM

definition of the word "viable":

1. Capable of living, developing, or germinating under favorable conditions.
2. Capable of living outside the uterus. Used of a fetus or newborn.

that baby was considered to be a 'viable fetus." i'm glad he was convicted of 2 murders. if he gets the death penalty or not, i don't care. let god decide his punishment on judgment day. (personally, i think the punishment for being convicted of killing someone should be to have the word 'murderer' burned into your forehead, serve a prison sentence, and let them back into society with their mark so everyone knows them for what they are, but that's just me (same goes for rapists, etc.)).

well....now that i've got that off my chest, i feel much better.

successful #2 Jan. 25th - welcome Maisie Elise!
#46 of 47 Old 11-18-2004, 04:07 PM

My daughter was born at 24 wks, she was perfect and very alive. I have had many preemies and I can tell you that Connor was a person and his father killed him, that deserves a punishment. Abortion is done in very early stages of pregnancy not at 30 wks gestation, they are not comparable. A man who can hold his own son's life in his hand and destroy it, is a man who should die no question.

I do believe that mothers who harm their babies while pregnant should be punished. I say this from a educated stand point my sister has four living boys all have FAS and were born addicted to cocaine(she has no contact with them). If a women choses to have a child she is moraly obligated to safegaurd that life. I do understand that a man should have a say if he has a child or not and here in Canada they do, they can sign over their rights or wear a condom! We also had a case up here where a man got a court oder to stop his ex girl friend from sniffing glue while pregnant with his child, this was inforced by sending the women to rehab where she was watch 24/7.
#47 of 47 Old 11-18-2004, 04:20 PM

I don't see this as a pro-choice, pro-life issue at all. Nearly all pro-choice advocates believe that only the pregnant woman has the right to end that pregnancy. Men do not have that right.

In some states, a man can be charged with 3rd degree murder if he causes a woman to miscarry in early pregnancy (by beating her and such). I support that as well. It doesn't matter if it wasn't a viable fetus; if someone is pro-choice I'm sure they believe the choice is only the mother's.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page