Santorum foot in mouth. - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 36 Old 04-27-2003, 08:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
That is an excellent point! I have to admit, muslimomma, you have sure opened my eyes. You're right; there are a lot of unsuccessful marriages in our society. In fact, I remember in college thinking I would never get married, because practically everyone I knew had been divorced (my parents, almost all my aunts and uncles, my grandparents, etc.). I began to think it was unrealistic to commit your life to someone in a marriage. But of course after meeting DH, I changed my tune. Anyway, I guess what's important is that you love and respect each other. If you have that going for you, whether you're straight, gay, polygamous, what have you, you should at least be given the right to at least try to be together and make it work. That's what I found so offensive about Santorum's remarks. That, according to him, people were alllowed to feel a certain way about each other, but not act upon it, even if it was completely consentual and hurting no one.

Sarah born 04/03/02dust.gif , Ashley born 03/13/04homebirth.jpg,  Rigel born 09/10/11 nocirc.gif

#32 of 36 Old 04-27-2003, 10:35 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
on a different note...

There is no actual mention of a Right to Privacy in the Constitution. It is an understood right by the existence of laws protecting our rights from unalwful search and seizure as well as the Roe vs. Wade decision.

Santorum is an ass. I've followed his shenanagans for years, I'm in PA, too.
#33 of 36 Old 04-28-2003, 12:14 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Yes he's quite the hypocrit IMO.

Votes for a low limits on lawsuit settlements, only AFTER his own wife collects quite a bit more than that limit from her own suit.

Is very vocal about representatives living IN their district, then moves his family to a permanent home outside the state after his election....

there's real integrity for you...

Good points all Muslimomma. I hadn't known about Egyptian cinema. I can see where a multi-wife household could indeed make for some very high drama.:LOL

"What will you do once you know?"
#34 of 36 Old 04-28-2003, 06:33 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I am polyamorous, and I would not say it is a choice. Just as with homosexuality, I choose whether or not to ACT ON my feelings, but I can't choose to stop wanting multiple relationships.

The fact that some men in Mormon sects coerce young girls into marrying them does not mean that all polyamorous relationships are victimizing someone, any more than the fact that some priests coerce young boys into sexual activity means that all gay sexual relationships are victimizing someone.

I find Santorum's argument re: priest molestation really bizarre! If society allowing a behavior between consenting adults means that adults are free to coerce any post-pubescent kid into that activity...then I guess it would be okay for a 50-year-old teacher to take Santorum's 13-year-old daughter to the courthouse on the pretext of a school project and then talk her into marrying him, huh?

I think it's interesting that nobody (in the media or here) has remarked on this statement from the interview:
"The more money you take away from families is the less power that family has."
I mean, we all KNOW the Republicans think money=power, but they usually don't state it so flatly! As if it's a given that poor people must be, ought to be, powerless!

Mama to a boy EnviroKid treehugger.gif 9 years old and a new little girl EnviroBaby baby.gif!

I write about parenting, environment, cooking, and more. computergeek2.gif

#35 of 36 Old 04-29-2003, 11:03 AM

Let's see, what might we learn from all this political grandstanding about sexuality and limiting urges and passions?

I mean really! Doesn't this stuff make these guys appear to be some of the most sexually repressed people on Earth?

But still I am curious to know what this apparent obsession with sex is about. I can't help but think that there is something to it that would make clear why it is so important to them.

Joyce in the mts.

CD Labor/Postpartum (MSTM), Doula trainer (BAI), Midwifery Student/Apprentice, CPS Tech
#36 of 36 Old 04-29-2003, 11:25 AM

once again, Joyce, you have hit the nail on the head

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page