Santorum foot in mouth. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 36 Old 04-22-2003, 02:20 PM - Thread Starter
Administrator

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Quote:
"All of those things are antithetical to a healthy, stable, traditional family," Santorum continued. "And that's sort of where we are in today's world, unfortunately. It all comes from, I would argue, this right to privacy that doesn't exist, in my opinion, in the United States Constitution."
Full Story: http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...bigamy__incest

Now here is a winner.....Not sure if I am more concerned about the views on gay sex...or the fact that he thinks that the right to privacy doesn't exist in the constitution.....YIPE!

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

#2 of 36 Old 04-22-2003, 02:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ug, I hope that these remarks are not forgotten when he is up for reelection.
#3 of 36 Old 04-22-2003, 06:02 PM

nice, huh?
#4 of 36 Old 04-22-2003, 08:12 PM

Quote:
If the Supreme Court says that you have the right to consensual (gay) sex within your home, then you have the right to bigamy, you have the right to polygamy, you have the right to incest, you have the right to adultery. You have the right to anything," Santorum said in an interview published on Monday by the Associated Press.
"Right to adultery"? Hmmm....if adultery becomes illegal, a whole lot of congress people will be in big trouble.:
#5 of 36 Old 04-22-2003, 08:17 PM - Thread Starter
Administrator

no joke.

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

#6 of 36 Old 04-23-2003, 12:56 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
He's an ass.

Unfortunately PA is notoriously conservative.

"What will you do once you know?"
#7 of 36 Old 04-23-2003, 08:35 AM

Would'nt it be nice to see the press whip fervor like they did with Trent Lott? (rightfully so)

Maybe we could help. Place a call to your congress. Tell them that you didn't hear any compassion in his conservatism; tell them he should be replaced as chairman of the Senate Republican Conference, the number three job in the party's leadership.

Here are the numbers:

Congress

Who keeps voting for these idiots?

El
#8 of 36 Old 04-23-2003, 09:33 AM

Utterly stupid. This may be the point that I transition gracefully from Republican to Democrat .
#9 of 36 Old 04-24-2003, 04:44 PM

I am so proud to be from Pennsylvania :
Maybe this will do SOMETHING to get him out of office, but I doubt it.
#10 of 36 Old 04-24-2003, 09:07 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I do not understand how Santorum thinks he can push his views on everyone. I am ashamed that he is from my state of PA, but I'm not so sure PA is always so conservative. After all, we usually end up going for Democrats at Presidential election time; like the guy who should be in the White House right now BTW, Meiri, I'm from Irwin, so we're really near each other; I'm still very new to this forum and still getting to know everyone, so HI!!!

Sarah born 04/03/02dust.gif , Ashley born 03/13/04homebirth.jpg,  Rigel born 09/10/11 nocirc.gif

#11 of 36 Old 04-25-2003, 09:27 AM

The unedited interview with the Associated Press.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,84862,00.html

Quote:
SANTORUM: I have no problem with homosexuality. I have a problem with homosexual acts. As I would with acts of other, what I would consider to be, acts outside of traditional heterosexual relationships. And that includes a variety of different acts, not just homosexual. I have nothing, absolutely nothing against anyone who's homosexual. If that's their orientation, then I accept that. and I have no problem with someone who has other orientations. The question is, do you act upon those orientations? So it's not the person, it's the person's actions. And you have to separate the person from their actions.
Santorum is a staunch Catholic, and is basically quoting the Catholic's Churches stance on this one.

Thought this was interesting....

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,84827,00.html

Quote:
Some Republican sources were quietly raising questions about the reporter who first quoted Santorum and who continued to report on the conflict it created. Lara Jakes Jordan is married to Jim Jordan, a former DSCC official who now manages Kerry's presidential campaign
I don't agree with Santorum and I feel this is becoming more of a question of whether politician's should carry their religious views into their public office.

Not all those who wander are lost 
#12 of 36 Old 04-25-2003, 09:52 AM

I don't know abt quoting the Church's stance on this one..............I do think he put alot of his own spin on it.

Here is one more from your link:

Quote:
SANTORUM: In this case, what we're talking about, basically, is priests who were having sexual relations with post-pubescent men. We're not talking about priests with 3-year olds, or 5-year olds. We're talking about a basic homosexual relationship. Which, again, according to the world view sense is a a perfectly fine relationship as long as it's consensual between people. If you view the world that way, and you say that's fine, you would assume that you would see more of it.

I have not read much that said these priests were acting as "basic homosexuals"????? They were/are pedophiles and I'm fairly confident there is no link between them.

I think you've hit a nail, Abimommy..........I don't think that pols should be bringing their theocracy into gov't. I think we can have some limits on what we can and cannot do (protecting children always) but outside of those limits the gov't should stay out of my life.

Why are my sexual acts so damning to the family but their raping and pillaging the economy and environment is not? My family has to live in the environment and earn a living in the economy.

El
#13 of 36 Old 04-25-2003, 11:11 AM

Quote:

Who keeps voting for these idiots?

El [/B]
Well, no one in my family, that's for sure! Unfortunately, he's our rep. I really think he should be booted. I have never liked him. He does not represent this area.
#14 of 36 Old 04-25-2003, 10:27 PM - Thread Starter
Administrator

Quote:
_
President George W. Bush praised Republican Sen. Rick Santorum as an "inclusive man" on Friday, four days after the senator's comments about gays unleashed a storm of bipartisan criticism.
Full Story:
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...um__inclusive_

I have to wonder how "inclusive" he really is.....:
What a stupid word to use to describe him....
It is pretty obvious he is NOT inclusive.

#15 of 36 Old 04-25-2003, 10:31 PM

Hi! I just wanted to put out another, perhaps overlooked perspective on this.

I think, in what he was saying, he was speaking about the reasoning behind SCOTUS's forthcoming ruling on the Texas case. I mean, after all, what he said was already an argument used in Bowers vs. Harwick, but you don't see SCOTUS being hammered about it.

IMO, it's more of a state's rights issue than anything, because SCOTUS ruled that it cannot strike down one sex-related law based on privacy rights, without then putting other sex-related laws in jeopardy. That's what Santorum, IMO, was saying. Unfortunately, in this time of 'gotcha journalism', the AP writer who was interviewed took his remarks a bit out of context.

That said, I personally DO NOT think states should criminalize homosexual behavior between consenting adults, and IMO Texas should repeal the law on it's own, NOT at SCOTUS's demand. But, like Santorum, I personally think homosexual sex is wrong. He has every right to express THAT sentiment, as do I, as we are both Catholic.

Also, I don't see how he is is trying to 'impose' his beliefs on others. This is not an issue up for vote in the Senate.

JMO.

#16 of 36 Old 04-26-2003, 12:07 AM - Thread Starter
Administrator

I am going to have to disagree...

If he was stating as you say...
Quote:
I think, in what he was saying, he was speaking about the reasoning behind SCOTUS's forthcoming ruling on the Texas case. I mean, after all, what he said was already an argument used in Bowers vs. Harwick, but you don't see SCOTUS being hammered about it.

Then he would have said that. What he did say was equating gay sex with a myriad of other things that people find abhorrent. Which is very different.

I couldn't frankly care less what he thinks about gay sex...he doean't have to have it. That is his preference. But if someone had said something equating having sex with his wife with adultery, bigamy and incest...you better damn well believe he would be a bit peeved.

He has a right to his opinion. He doesn't like gays, doesn't approve of the "lifestyle". Fine. But I do think that his remarks were out of line.

And if I hear one more stinking time, the whole "love the person, hate the sin" argument, or that it is a "choice" to be gay...I am gonna :Puke. (that is not directed at anyone in particular...I just read something that made reference to it.)

#17 of 36 Old 04-26-2003, 12:57 AM

edited
#18 of 36 Old 04-26-2003, 03:57 AM - Thread Starter
Administrator

awww bummer muslimomma....I was looking forward to what you had to say!!! Must have been juicy!! :LOL

#19 of 36 Old 04-26-2003, 12:07 PM

#20 of 36 Old 04-26-2003, 01:44 PM

I have to disagree. Homosexual marriage can be monogomous. In fact most gays I have met value monogomy. I knew a homosexual couple who had been together for 30 years. The truth of the matter is that while, in theory, members of a poligomous situation consent to such, in practice,this is usually not exactly true. Many women who do this feel as though they have to by their culture, and there are often feelings of jealousy or inadequacy that devalue the women as people. In other words, with polygamy, there is usual a victim of some sort. With homosexuals, they often just want what all of us want. A successful, monogomous relationship. Gays go through torture of all sort. Gay teens are 3 times as likely to committ suicide. I don't think they would choose such a difficult lifestyle if they had a choice. It is NOT the same as polygamy.

Sarah born 04/03/02dust.gif , Ashley born 03/13/04homebirth.jpg,  Rigel born 09/10/11 nocirc.gif

#21 of 36 Old 04-26-2003, 01:45 PM - Thread Starter
Administrator

I can see the logic behind that argument.

If he had be discussing marriage I would have seen the logic. Especially since that is such a hot topic right now.

But since he was discussing only intimate relations...between two consenting adults...I took offense to his comments.

Gay marriage is a whole different subject. and as long as there are laws on the books about not being able to have certain types of gay sex, it will be a non issue...can you imagine being married and getting arrested for having sex in your own bedroom? Yikes.

thanks for you thoughts - I was right I did want to read them!

#22 of 36 Old 04-26-2003, 01:56 PM

#23 of 36 Old 04-26-2003, 03:27 PM - Thread Starter
Administrator

I never had a problem with multiple spouses. If you have time and energy to treat all spouses the same...the go for it. I personally only have time and energy for one.

So I kind of think that polygamy, bigamy and gay marraige should all be legal....
Which makes me greatly in the minority.

#24 of 36 Old 04-26-2003, 03:41 PM

#25 of 36 Old 04-26-2003, 05:02 PM

o.k., perhaps now it should be "mum2sarah foot in mouth" thread: I admit; I do not know any women in polygomous relationships. I have, however, read and seen specials on TV about women who were victimized in such a relationship. Perhaps they were the exception to the rule; I don't know. I guess my whole point is that there is a difference between a "couple" (to use your word) wanting marriage and a group of people, and that the latter situation DOES have a choice in the matter; whereas there is much evidence (scientific and antecdotal) to show that gays do not have a choice in their orientation. I personally would not have a problem if both gay marriage AND polygamy were legal (although it should be just as o.k. for a women to have more than one DH if a man can have more than one wife ). I was just trying to say there is a difference.

#26 of 36 Old 04-26-2003, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by AdinaL
can you imagine being married and getting arrested for having sex in your own bedroom? Yikes.
A few years ago, I recall reading that in several states, Alabama being one of them...correct me if I am wrong, please!..., married couples (heterosexual, monagamous) had been arrested for the crime of "sodomy". At least one of these cases was over fellatio and all had occurred in the couples' own homes.

I've always wondered what it would be like to get transferred to that police unit. What do they call them, The Peeping Tom Squad? And do they like going home at night and telling their kids what they do, how they protect and serve?

: : : : :
#27 of 36 Old 04-26-2003, 09:35 PM

Well Adinal, you may be greatly in the minority..
But I agree with you!
#28 of 36 Old 04-27-2003, 04:29 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
A few years ago, I recall reading that in several states, Alabama being one of them...correct me if I am wrong, please!..., married couples (heterosexual, monagamous) had been arrested for the crime of "sodomy". At least one of these cases was over fellatio and all had occurred in the couples' own homes.
What I want to know is how the police found out in order to arrest those couples. Last I heard peeping into people's windows was an arrestable offense. Did they also arrest the peeping tom who reported the "crime"????

Polygyny has the reputation in this country of creating victims because of the way it is practiced by certain "mormons" who refuse to accept that the LDS church no longer officially condones the practice. Those polygamists are often taking very young girls as wives, girls are being given in "marriage" to much older men without the girl's consent, etc Thus the negative image polygyny has in the US...

I myself wouldn't mind a wife, if she enjoyed doing some of the housework that I can't stand...we could split the tasks among 3 adults and maybe all do what we minded least. I could even see Me being able to love two husbands, though I can also see that DH(D as in Dear ) would not be able to share That way. ah welll

"What will you do once you know?"
#29 of 36 Old 04-27-2003, 05:48 PM

Meiri,
The polygamists you refer to are exactly the ones I was referring to. I do not wish to spread the idea that polygamy could never work. Like I said, in theory it can work just fine. I guess I am just not familiar with its success in practice; probably just because it is not done in our culture. Perhaps in other cultures people are quite happy with such an arrangement. More power to them. I just feel bad for the young ladies who are taken advantage of here in the U.S. by some "mormons." But hey, I can relate to you on the housework thing. I'm lucky enough to have my sister living with us (she's a recoverring anorexic), and she does a lot around the house for us. So I guess you could say, I can see some advantages to having more than one woman around the house

#30 of 36 Old 04-27-2003, 08:25 PM

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page