#1 of 7 Old 04-27-2003, 05:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
#2 of 7 Old 04-27-2003, 07:15 PM

Shame on them. I'm glad I don't do business with AMEX any more. There were a hassle to deal with when my dh had an account with them.

I hope these people can get a good lawyer to publicize how un-American this company is.
#3 of 7 Old 04-27-2003, 08:28 PM

Even more glad now, that we jettisoned AMEX a while back.

Joyce in the mts.

CD Labor/Postpartum (MSTM), Doula trainer (BAI), Midwifery Student/Apprentice, CPS Tech
#4 of 7 Old 04-27-2003, 09:46 PM

At first I thought that maybe the cards got cancelled because they weren't used--I had that happen to me. I had a ton of credit cards in college (dumb ol' me), but luckily after my sophomore year I realized that was a bit too risky. I didn't think to cancel them, I just never used them except for one. Within six months all but that one I used (most of the time paying off every month) had been cancelled with no warning and no reason.

Same thing happened when I graduated and got a job. I cancelled my college credit card because the rate sucked, applied for and received a new one, but had gotten out of the habit of using it--it was cancelled within a year, again no warning or reason.

I haven't signed up for a credit card since, I suspect it would yet again get cancelled because I wasn't using it and therefore not making the issuing bank any $$ (though I could get one through my credit union, maybe they wouldn't care?).

I am unclear in this story though...so they were using the cards, just paying them off every month in full? Or they had them and didn't use them? I know quite a few people who have had their cards yanked for paying off in full (but these are from the sucky-rate ones, where they expect you to rack up major debt.).

I don't doubt that racism could play a big factor in this (come to think of it, racism and classism runs rampant in sucky credit card deals too)...but...you don't have to be from a blacklisted country to have this happen to you. Though I doubt anyone would have the balls to ask someone with a 'white' sounding name for tax documents, ect.

The credit card franchises, credit reporting agencies, and banks have a scary amount of information about you. And with SARS I think it will not be too long before everyone's health information is in reality allowed to be used by corporate entities (airlines) to screen out undesireables.

Unless, of course, our dear Congresspeople of both parties decide to grow backbones. Fat chance of that, eh?
#5 of 7 Old 04-28-2003, 01:44 AM

it is becoming really bad, or already is to be either a person living in this country of arab descent or a person practicing the muslim religion
#6 of 7 Old 04-28-2003, 02:17 AM

but I'm not surprised!
#7 of 7 Old 04-28-2003, 10:09 AM

I've never had a card yanked for paying it in full every month.

I suspected reporting requirements of the Un-American Patriot Act might have something to do with it, but I don't know what reporting is required. I only wish our town would pass a resolution to send to Ashcroft that the businesses here won't comply with it.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page