Texas budget brings PR woes to GOP - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 05-02-2003, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Emphasis added by me. This is the type of reasoning that makes me ill, especially her delusions about poor people receiving inheritances. ("They have no bread? Let them eat cake!") This is the kind of article we need to exploit to show that they are really just trying to blow all the budgets so they can justify taking away programs. BTW, Texas is in the bottom 10 in the US for social programs support.

www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssis...an/1887795

April 28, 2003, 10:23PM

State GOP chair defends low-income program cuts
By CLAY ROBISON
Copyright 2003 Houston Chronicle Austin Bureau

AUSTIN -- Republicans working to make budget cuts that would remove thousands of low-income Texans from health care and other assistance programs aren't being hard-hearted, Texas GOP Chairwoman Susan Weddington told other party leaders.

Now that Republicans control the statehouse for the first time in 130 years, they are simply trying to realize a long-sought goal to "realign" the role of state government, she said.

But she acknowledged that many people considered poor or near-poor by existing governmental standards will soon have to fend for themselves.

In a conference phone call with members of the State Republican Executive Committee, Weddington urged party leaders and grass-roots supporters to encourage Republican lawmakers to hang tough in the face of criticism from Democrats and many newspaper editorial writers.

She said Democrats, during the budgetary debate, have attempted to "make Republicans look like heartless, cruel, mean, ugly people who just want people to die, want people to be thrown out of nursing homes, and that is not the case."

"The fact of the matter is that we want a new philosophy, a new policy toward spending that helps those that really need help, and they have no other options," she added.

"We want to cease and desist helping those who have other options but choose to use government because it's cheaper and it's more convenient. You know, the Democrats want to create a government-funded middle class, and we've got to have the courage to take the hits so that we do what's right by the people of Texas."

(snip)

Weddington told the GOP committee that she was concerned that the Senate's attempt to increase spending -- even without a tax increase -- would hurt Republican efforts to keep "our promise to the people of Texas who elected us."

David Barton, the party's vice chairman, added that it is important for Republican leaders to warn lawmakers not to "get bent out of shape over (allegations) you're killing elderly people by starving them, or whatever."

Under a proposed state budget approved by the House, about 250,000 low-income children would be removed from the Children's Health Insurance Program, at least 56,000 elderly and disabled people would lose services in their homes and additional thousands of people would lose Medicaid and other benefits.

(snip)

"If you're used to getting a government subsidy, you don't like it when you don't get it," Weddington said. "But it doesn't mean you're going to be harmed. It doesn't mean you're going to be without any other options."

She said families whose children are removed from CHIP would have to purchase their own insurance and "maybe have a little less disposable income or a little less inheritance from Mom and Dad."

Scott McCown, executive director of the Center for Public Policy Priorities, which lobbies for low-income people, said many families earning between $27,000 and $37,000 a year -- who would be most affected by the CHIP cuts -- cannot afford health insurance.

"One of the key reasons the poor are poor is because they can't develop assets," he said. "I don't want a government-funded middle class, and we don't have a government-funded middle class."

(snip)
#2 of 7 Old 05-02-2003, 12:05 PM
Banned

Yeah. When I see stuff like this, I'm afraid my immediate response is to want to whap the ignorant person upside the head and tell them to look out their windows and see how real people live, rather than attempt to reason with them...likely because anyone who made such an astonishingly ignorant comment likely isn't amenable to reason.

On the bright side, Weddington will become a poster child for the Democrats in the next elections.
#3 of 7 Old 05-02-2003, 12:12 PM - Thread Starter

and he replied, "It won't work. You and five other people are the only ones who know who this woman is, so what she says has no bearing."

Last night he was tlaking about how the conservatives no longer care that there is deficit. Having a deficit will give them the chance to slash social programs, which is all they've wanted to do all along. He said he thought things will have to get so bad for low income and middle class people that we'll have to have a revolution.

Our Lt. Gov. is now looking at increasing our regressive sales tax (more burden on the poor) and decreasing property taxes.
#4 of 7 Old 05-02-2003, 12:51 PM

I am a Texas Repub and know who Susan Weddington is and half the Republicans I know hate her too. She's pretty controversial.

The CHIPS thing angers me so much. She is so clueless, but at the same time SHE is not the one passing the bills.

I can understand not minding the deficit, it does not bother me in the short term, but CHIPS is the last thing that needs to be cut.
#5 of 7 Old 05-02-2003, 12:52 PM
Banned

As I've said before, those who are waiting for a revolution of the proletariat (or even the middle class) in this country will be cooling their heels for quite a while.

I think it'll be relatively simple to use Weddington's words in campaign literature, using her title rather than her name, if the Dems so choose.

ITA re this being a chance for the right-wingers to further gut Texas' already significantly problematic and inadequate social programs.

Dewhurst's increase of the sales tax and application to ALL services except medical ones, I hear, sounds like it may be a done deal, save for the governor's plan. I don't know what would be worse, frankly: the House/Governor's plan re "studying" the fiscal requirements of schools to see if more money (or even level funding) is necessary and how funding ought to be made, or the Senate/Lt.Governor's plan re rolling back property taxes and increasing and spreading the sales tax. Both, I fear, will ultimately result in the non-wealthy getting it in the teeth, whether through their pocketbooks or through the abysmal education that their hapless children will receive.

Where are you, Delilah? I'm in Houston.
#6 of 7 Old 05-02-2003, 03:26 PM - Thread Starter

Location: a hundred or so miles from you in a small town. Usually go to Houston for certain medical services, rare shopping trips. Have enjoyed reading the Chronicles' blasting of our Leg over the last few months.

Hi Delta! I used to be a Texas Republican, but the changes in the party over the last twelve or thirteen years drove me away. The last Repub I voted for was McCain in 2000 primary. All I could see was more little guys getting stomped on and the corp execs getting richer and meaner.

My dh's sister had two brain aneurysms before age thirty. Needless to say, she is disabled and on heavy anti-seizure drugs all the time. She is divorced (related to her health problems), her ex moved to Dallas and remarried, but still was regular in sending about $200 a month child support (that's all folks!). My in-laws have raised their granddaughter since she was two, and CHIPs was a God-send since they are now retired and never were even "middle-class" in their income. My dh and I have helped out all our family members when they needed it, and we aren't wealthy by a long shot, and have a disabled child to boot.

The GOP leadership's comments about "not as much inheritance" were particularly offensive to us as there IS NO inheritance. It just shows how utterly disconnected they are to real families and real problems.
#7 of 7 Old 05-02-2003, 05:27 PM

Quote:
government subsidized middle class
I find that statement highly offensive. What we do have is a government subsidized upper class.:

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page