Bush W. Christ? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 32 Old 05-06-2003, 08:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
http://www.truthout.org/docs_03/050503A.shtml

Quote:
In the 835 days Americans have passed since the inauguration of George W. Bush, we have come to know him as a man who wears many masks to suit a variety of political purposes. Even before he won the lawsuit that put him in his lofty position, we saw a man who cloaked his vision in terms that smacked of humility. "Ours will be a humble nation," Bush said during the Presidential debates. There are a number of words which can be applied to the actions of this administration, but "humble" is not one of them. At the time, however, it suited his purposes to make Americans believe he saw himself as unassuming, perhaps even small.

This was the same man, however, who mocked Texas death row inmate Karla Faye Tucker so viciously before she rode the lightning to whatever awaits us on the Other Side. He was asked, in an interview for Talk Magazine during the campaign, what Tucker might say to him if she were given the chance to plead for her life. "Please," said Bush with pinched face and lips drawn down in a quivering bow as he imitated the woman about to die, "don't kill me." Then he laughed.
Quote:
Another mask was donned by Bush on the deck of that aircraft carrier, one whose implications are far more dire and disturbing. Bush was there to tell the world that combat operations in Iraq had ceased. He did not go so far as to declare victory, as such a declaration would have required, under the Geneva Convention, the release of POWs and the withdrawal of American forces. The banner hanging across the control tower -- "Mission Accomplished" -- said all that needed to be said.

In his remarks, Bush closed with a paraphrasing of the Book of Isaiah: "In the words of the prophet Isaiah, 'To the captives, 'come out,' and to those in darkness, 'be free,''"

This was a quotation from Chapter 61 of Isaiah, the very book Jesus Christ used when proclaiming that Isaiah's prophesies of the Messiah had come true. Using this passage from Isaiah, Jesus presented himself as the Son of God in Nazareth. Thus it is told in Luke, Chapter 4, Verses 16-22:

#2 of 32 Old 05-06-2003, 09:08 AM
Banned

What kills me is that this is the same person who's adamantly opposed to the development of any religious regime in Iraq. I suppose it would be ok if the factions in Iraq were Baptist and Presbyterian, rather than Shiite and Sunni.
#3 of 32 Old 05-06-2003, 09:51 AM

Glad to see this posted here, Sister.

Pretty grotesque stuff taken altogether, isn't it?

Joyce in the mts.

CD Labor/Postpartum (MSTM), Doula trainer (BAI), Midwifery Student/Apprentice, CPS Tech
#4 of 32 Old 05-06-2003, 09:58 AM

#5 of 32 Old 05-06-2003, 10:05 AM

Quote:
I suppose it would be ok if the factions in Iraq were Baptist and Presbyterian, rather than Shiite and Sunni.
It's so obvious...aren't more people concerned about this? I mean mainstream regular people who value their own freedom.
#6 of 32 Old 05-06-2003, 11:07 AM

I have seen that many people were positively panicky about the biblical reference and/or pronouncement made by Bush. I really think that no good will come of it ultimately.

GW professes to be a member of the United Methodist Church, but sure doesn't reflect any part of it in his actions or thinking AT ALL!!!

It is beyond me what is going on with Bush, except he is manipulating vulnerabilities/drunk with power...or he really thinks he is bringing about or even IS the second coming and that gets really really dangerous in my opinion. And this is, at least in part, the marketing...er...political strategy promoted by the administration.

It's amazing really isn't it?...Joyce in the mts.

CD Labor/Postpartum (MSTM), Doula trainer (BAI), Midwifery Student/Apprentice, CPS Tech
#7 of 32 Old 05-06-2003, 11:11 AM
dlb

Location: between the silence of the mountains, and the crashing of the sea....
Hi Guys--

I am a born again christian, and I find his use of the scriptures, without quoting the verse, and as if they are his own words, just short of blasphemy.

I read another quote some time ago, where in reference to his planned action in Iraq, he said something along the lines of "there is wonderworking power" in something like the faith and strength of the American people. That comes directly from a song, but the power is in the "precious blood of The Lamb." It just creeps me out, how he is pulling these things out of context, and using them for his own purposes.

Oh, yeah, I've heard people say "well, you know the president is a *christian*! Sorry, in my 20 years or so hanging out at various churches, I have know some "christian" men I wouldn't trust with a goldfish, let alone the fate of the world. Some people use religion to hide behind, instead of dealing with their issues, and they just get sicker; sadly, I suspect Mr. Bush dry-acholic, ect. may be one.

I am embarassed as a Christian, that so many who take the name of "christian" have so little regard for the teachings of Christ. He had so much more to say about social justice than nationalism. And, I am horrified that so many feel that Jesus should be wrapped up in the American flag--they have raised that symbol to beyond icon status, and this flag worship is coming very close to idolatry.

Count me creeped out!

dlb
#8 of 32 Old 05-06-2003, 11:42 AM
Banned

I am creeped out, too. Beyond worried about the religious fanatacism and intolerance exemplified in W.

But it seems that all of this is completely acceptable in America, doesn't it? The state religion is evangelical Christianity and Bush is reflecting that in his words.
#9 of 32 Old 05-06-2003, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by dlb
I am embarassed as a Christian, that so many who take the name of "christian" have so little regard for the teachings of Christ. He had so much more to say about social justice than nationalism. And, I am horrified that so many feel that Jesus should be wrapped up in the American flag--they have raised that symbol to beyond icon status, and this flag worship is coming very close to idolatry.

Count me creeped out!

dlb
Wow, you're the first "born-again Christian" that I've ever heard make a statement like that!
I totally agree! Slap my hand for stereo-typing you dlb!!!
#10 of 32 Old 05-06-2003, 01:29 PM
dlb

marcy74--

No problem-- its probably just the "other side" that gets the most publicity!

slb
#11 of 32 Old 05-06-2003, 01:40 PM

I don't think you're alone, dlb. I have another internet friend who considers herself a fundamentalist, and generally her beliefs and actions point that way, but she feels very similarly to you.

I wish that those of you who thought like this would start a movement! I know it's not that easy though.
#12 of 32 Old 05-06-2003, 01:53 PM

"wonderworking power"

Just the term "wonderworking" makes me feel all creepy inside. I totally agree with you dlb.

Not all those who wander are lost 
#13 of 32 Old 05-06-2003, 02:20 PM
dlb

hydrangea--

I think perhaps that has been tried-- the problem is that as soon as any of us starts quoting Jesus, you know "do unto others," "blessed are the peacemakers," ect. ect.... the others start saying we are *horrors* "liberals* and try to take away our fundie credentials. (For the record, I was raised in a conservative community church, married in an Assemblies of God church, and take my children to a Four Square church.)

I don't want to risk the necessity of changing forums, I didn't start this thread, so I won't pull out that many Quotes from the new testament. Just wish more prominent Christians would act as if they have ever read the book.

dlb
#14 of 32 Old 05-06-2003, 05:24 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, dlb, for your perspective. I know exactly what you mean. I'm not born again, but I'm a Catholic and I hate to see Christ's teachings twisted for evil uses.

Oh, and BTW, everyone, I feel like a real idiot because of this thread's title. I meant to call it George W. Christ. I guess I was suffering from Bushbrain.
#15 of 32 Old 05-06-2003, 05:38 PM

Daylily,
if it's really bugging you, you can ask a moderator to change the title for you. They've done it before for me and were very kind about it!

HTH,
Marcy
#16 of 32 Old 05-06-2003, 06:38 PM

Daylilly, let me know if you want it changed - Abimommy or I will be happy to do so.
#17 of 32 Old 05-06-2003, 10:55 PM

Nail him up! Nail some sense into him!
#18 of 32 Old 05-06-2003, 11:12 PM

#19 of 32 Old 05-06-2003, 11:28 PM

Not being a Christian, but having upmost respect for Jesus and his teachings, I giggle when I think that one day George W. (among many others) will have an opportunity to sit down, face to face with JC and account for all the UNchristlike things they've done using his name :LOL If only they would think that before they rush out to kill innocent people in the name of Jesus and Peace.

~diana

~diana google me: hahamommy. Unschooling Supermama to Hayden :Super Cool Girlfriend to Scotty . Former wife to Mitch & former mama to Hannahbear
#20 of 32 Old 05-06-2003, 11:51 PM

Wow, HB. But I see what you're saying.

#21 of 32 Old 05-07-2003, 12:02 AM

Actually, I stole that line from Monty Python's Life of Brian, but it seemed fitting.
#22 of 32 Old 05-07-2003, 12:04 AM

Heh....that is one of my favorite's

I certainly wouldn't mind wearing a beard and lobbing rocks at the guy for saying Jehovah...

#23 of 32 Old 05-07-2003, 12:24 AM

Daylily, I never even noticed the title error until you mentioned it!!
#24 of 32 Old 05-07-2003, 09:38 AM

Quote:
In his remarks, Bush closed with a paraphrasing of the Book of Isaiah: "In the words of the prophet Isaiah, 'To the captives, 'come out,' and to those in darkness, 'be free,''"

This was a quotation from Chapter 61 of Isaiah, the very book Jesus Christ used when proclaiming that Isaiah's prophesies of the Messiah had come true. Using this passage from Isaiah, Jesus presented himself as the Son of God in Nazareth. Thus it is told in Luke, Chapter 4, Verses 16-22:

I am a Christian as well (and voted for Bush - don't stone me or nail me up, puh-lease) and this makes my stomach turn. Instead of 'wonderworking power' this definitely stretches to say he is proclaiming 'over-assuming power.' To entangle himself with prophecy as if his meager existence is at any point related to that scripture is . . . to say the least . . . lacking in humility. :
#25 of 32 Old 05-07-2003, 09:47 AM

I don't find it at all shocking that Geo W is using the name of Christ (or out of context words of Scripture) to wage wars and glorify himself. After all, Constantine used the cross as a banner to do battle (after saying he had a vision of it), won the battle and declared Xtianity to then be the official religion of the Roman Empire, back in about 330 CE. (Altho he didn't actually officially convert himself until he was on his deathbed, so he could continue to "sin" and even put his own image on a coin with Bacchus.)

Huh, politicians! 1700 years and nothing much has changed. Color me cynical. (Don't forget the Crusades and the Inquisition either...) But the common man probably buys it b/c he doesn't read his history. Maybe he reads the National Enquirer? But mostly he gets his information from CNN and Jerry Springer on TV (and from biased preachers in their pulpits), giving those in power license to act as they please.

I hate that some will say, Well, GWB is a Christian, as if that makes it all OK? What the heck does it mean? There are billions of ways to be a Christian.
#26 of 32 Old 05-07-2003, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DaryLLL
I hate that some will say, Well, GWB is a Christian, as if that makes it all OK? What the heck does it mean? There are billions of ways to be a Christian.
Right! Defining a man by what he 'says' he believes is certainly not the same as defining a man by what he 'shows' he believes.
#27 of 32 Old 05-07-2003, 02:06 PM

As a former Catholic I very well understand you can still belong to a specific religion and not believe certain teachings of theirs, but...

I found it telling that while Bush was/is gung ho War the Methodist Church, itself, came out against a war in Iraq.

#28 of 32 Old 05-07-2003, 03:39 PM

Anyway, isn't there some minor little thing in the U.S. about separation of state and religion?
#29 of 32 Old 05-07-2003, 03:54 PM

I am a Christian and some of the things he is saying just creeps me out. What denomination is he anyways??

#30 of 32 Old 05-07-2003, 04:37 PM
Banned

He attends the Methodist church. Ironic, as TiredX2 pointed out.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page