Talk Radio: That's Entertainment...or is it? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 36 Old 05-11-2003, 01:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Deirdre makes the exact point. It's not about "people we don't like." It's about absurdities and stereotypes. Free speech is great. Is the use of racial slurs, misogynistic remarks, and personal attacks the stuff we protect under the Constitution? If so, how do we protect those who end up hurt or victimized by actions "inspired" by such talk? And what about our rights to disagree with a war our administration chooses to start? This has made some of us guilty of treason--or at lesat haters of democracy--in the eyes of those who celebrate their right to free speech.

Politics is politics, and left and right is one thing. But the use of the airwaves to target ethnic, racial, religious, etc. groups for attack is quite another.
#32 of 36 Old 05-15-2003, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Nearly twenty years ago an arrogant buffoon of a man had a radio show in Sacramento, California, a relatively small town not too far from San Francisco. He did something called "caller abortions" with a vacuum cleaner noise in the background and made all kinds of fun of gay people.
Quote:
The station manager was a gay man who liked the ratings and $ this nut brought to the station. This buffoon is now in New York, in the "EIB", Rush Limbaugh.
Nice. I'm sure all those who love Rush, are going to pretend you didn't bring up that little tidbit from Rush's past. Although I thought it was noteworthy enough to bring it up again.

By the way, have you ever noticed those who bestow good, ol' American and right wing values... they frequently exhibit horrible grammar? I know I have heard them call into various talk shows, or they show up on tv, or other places and they don't have the slightest idea how to use a verb properly. "Is" "are" "They is"... you get the drift... how does that happen?

By the way, Jessica Lynch's family was very painful to listen to in press conferences...they simply butchered verbs. And of course the brother's t'shirt which read, "chick magnet" was extra poignant.

However, one of my friends who is very conservative and loves Rush has beautiful grammar. But then she is also kind of bitter, talks a lot about her jealousy of others who have more than her and of course has little snips about "foreigners". Also, I think may say anti-semitic comments behind my back. I'm not jewish but she knows those comments wouldn't fly in front of me. But she does have a perfect handle on verbs.

Oh, and another person I know who listens to Rush...well, she used to say mean things about mexican immigrants, until I snapped at those those comments.

That is my sampling of Rush fans.

Check out New Moon on my Astrology Site

http://tracyastrosalon.blogspot.com/

#33 of 36 Old 05-15-2003, 02:02 PM

Does anyone else find it somewhat ironic that it's perfectly okay to stereotype conservative talkie fans as ignorant hicks who don't speak english and are racist--all the while saying they don't like talkie shows because the hosts and callers stereotype all liberals as being stupid/immoral/weak/self-hating folks?

See, this is why I really enjoy (for the most part) listening to talk radio, and then hanging out with folks that share my political viewpoints (which are pretty much diametrically opposed to the opinions expressed on aforementioned shows).

It really restores my faith in humanity that we're all pretty much the same after all.
#34 of 36 Old 05-15-2003, 02:11 PM

Tigerchild:

As I indicated,

Quote:
That is my sampling of Rush fans.
the emphasis should be on MY.

If that's not your experience, great.

Check out New Moon on my Astrology Site

http://tracyastrosalon.blogspot.com/

#35 of 36 Old 05-15-2003, 04:44 PM

I've seen people be downright vicious to folks like Nursing Mother on this forum simply because she disagrees with their politics, and states her own beliefs.

Now I've seen people get trashed because of improper use of grammar (which is kind of funny, considering how common that is on message boards as a whole--bad grammar and mispelling, that is...including THIS ONE).

So. Should I therefore extrapolate that all people who enjoy reading the venting here on the activism forum are cruel, close-minded bigots to anything but their own writing format and politicial views?

Ummmm...no.

It's always kind of interesting though, that it's okay to do it to the other side though, neh?

Listen to the talk shows for awhile, then listen to anti-talk show commentary, seriously. You will see that EVERYTHING that people say about each other is 100% alike, save for a few opposite substitutions. This is why I say that it really helps to restore my faith sometimes, because it reminds me that we are all more alike and more human than we want to admit.

I guess some people don't think that's a good thing, but I sure do. At least there is hope, then. That I might be wrong in assuming that everyone who disagrees with me as an idiot...that other people who assume I'm an idiot might be wrong about me. That there really are vestiges of humanity underneath all the bluster. Comforting, at least in my opinion.
#36 of 36 Old 05-16-2003, 01:44 AM

Tigerchild ...

Uh huh.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page