Talk Radio: That's Entertainment...or is it? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 36 Old 05-08-2003, 10:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Very interesting article...worth the read...Joyce in the mts.

http://www.tolerance.org/news/article_tol.jsp?id=752

CD Labor/Postpartum (MSTM), Doula trainer (BAI), Midwifery Student/Apprentice, CPS Tech
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 36 Old 05-08-2003, 10:34 AM

Notable:

Quote:
"Talk radio began as a seriously bankable format in the early 1960s," said Rendall, who first tuned in about 1963. "It was born in the backlash of a bunch of white guys on the right railing against the Civil Rights Movement, the women's movement and the peace movement. Forty years later little has changed."

My talk radio is local NPR/WPR. Good stuff. Although they're in the middle of another pledge drive now...
#3 of 36 Old 05-08-2003, 10:46 AM

I have a friend who listens to this garbage every day. I encourage her to try public radio, as an alternative that really does try to cover at least more than one side to every issue they discuss. and welcomes dissention and intelligent debate. She just does not get it. We are polar opposites, politically. What kills me, though, is that, as a Muslim, she can sit and listen to Rush and all the Rushalikes bashing her religion and way of life, and KEEP LISTENING, and buy their books, etc.

We cannot have intelligent conversation about anything...the war in Iraq, for instance, or possible solutions for peace in the ME, or global warming, or the economy.

It's especially hard, since she has never really been in a position of supporting herself. She married fairly young, and never had to work outside the home more than a couple of hours a week...she managed to shelter herself from a lot of experience in life. But she sure is opinionated!

Whenever anything remotely related to politics comes up in conversation, she whips out her belligerent talk radio jargon and bascially insults my intelligence. Unless we're in a larger group, where she knows she has no chance of being heard. Then she clams up.

The sad part is, behind her talking, I can SEE the FEAR in her eyes--she IS afraid of Hispanics (She thinks Plaza Sesamo is just wrong to have on public TV), of foreigners who speak other languages in her presence, of the "government's control over her life" (which, now that her man is in office, we SHOULD be afraid of), of all kinds of things. She is so scared and paranoid, and this is her reaction. And she is passing narrow-minded supremacy attitudes on to her kids, who also spend the whole day in her house with her, listening to that crap on the radio, and watching Fox News at the end of the day.

I know they want to develop a left-wing talk network. I just wish all people would require more sides to each issue to have air. But, as long as there are bigots, there will be a market.
#4 of 36 Old 05-08-2003, 10:59 AM - Thread Starter

I have a friend who has a radio show...and she does some talk stuff too on there...it's a college station and she was a student of mine and is still a friend. I confess I cannot stand to listen to her though...when she does talk stuff, it's very contentious, so I don't listen anymore. But I give her alot of credit for her work.

RE: Pledge breaks....UGH!!!! I hate that!!!

But I guess they depend on it. Just is nearly a waste of time to listen though if you are in a listening "routine".

Not so sure a lefty talk network would be anymore pleasant to listen to, y'know?

Thanks for responding and I hope more folks read this article....Joyce in the mts.

CD Labor/Postpartum (MSTM), Doula trainer (BAI), Midwifery Student/Apprentice, CPS Tech
#5 of 36 Old 05-08-2003, 11:43 AM
dlb

Location: between the silence of the mountains, and the crashing of the sea....
In my area, the local "conservative" station sponsored many of the "pro war" rallys-- I have to wonder what corporation owns them, and if said corporation is tied in at all with the entities that will profit from the war.

Seems like so many that listen all day are not able to use critical thinking skills, just fall into lock-step with the party line. I can always tell when my mother has been hooked into "ditto head land" when our coversations go like this...

"All (fill in the blank) are (blank).

"Which ones mom? Do you know any? Have you seen any?"

Grrrrrr....

And BTW, I used to listen to "talk radio," mainly out of boredom, but quit when I realized that so many of the statements therein were contrary to what I could see with my own eyes.

dlb
#6 of 36 Old 05-08-2003, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Talk listeners are more likely to vote than the general public, Barker said. But they tend to be "confidently misinformed," assuming, for example, that the Clinton administration ran a budget deficit instead of healthy surpluses
NOW I KNOW!!! I had the hardest time figuring out where some posters here got their "facts" - now I know!!
edited to add:
Quote:
Somehow we have to reawaken the American public and have them be more demanding about the information coming their way."
Any ideas how?

Why aren't there any?/more? talk shows featuring people who really know what they are talking about? More educated factual people. I guess they all have their own shows - like Bill Moyers. Could you imagine a call in show where he was the host?
#7 of 36 Old 05-08-2003, 12:49 PM

Unfortunately, it seems as though this would require many of us to listen all day, being sickened and saddened, and call in to challenge, and put ourselves out there to be belittled and berated, until enough of us do it, and start to change the way the shows go. I just can't do it.

"Confidently misinformed" says it all, btw.
#8 of 36 Old 05-08-2003, 02:06 PM

Talk radio to me means Brian Lehrer, WNYC (local NPR station). And that is all it means to me. Used to mean "Talk of the Nation," too, but since Ray Suarez moved on to TV ...

I prefer to keep my head in this rarified sand ...
#9 of 36 Old 05-08-2003, 02:39 PM
Banned

Re El Casey S's comment, I don't think that merely having more talk radio shows where the speakers are genuinely educated and informed about their subject is quite the answer (though it sure can't hurt). Have you ever listened to some of the talk radio that Pacifica puts on (not to say that Pacifica has uniformly had educated and informed radio hosts...)? KPFT has a mothering program on Mondays, and it's astounding, some of the calls they get. Last Monday, I caught some dad bollocksing on about his ex-wife's shennigans attempting to turn their child against him (Yes, I'm sympathetic, but not when the day's discussion topic has nary a thing to do with the call), followed by some shrill, strident caller hollering about how everyone who loves their children will fight against pollution from nuclear waste or something of the sort (I tuned out shortly thereafter).

Call-in shows will by nature attract their share of wingnuts, no matter how erudite and informed the host or speakers might be. The true level of discourse, on the other hand, will be raised by raising the level of public education in this country to something at least roughly on a par with that enjoyed in other Western nations. Most of us Americans (myself certainly included) have marginal grasp of history - even our own. Something like 20% of American adults are functionally illiterate. For those who are literate, how many had, or if they had it, recall their education in the history of English poetry? How many are able to analyze an event using a multidisciplinary (eg, political, economic and philosophical) approach? How many of us can still easily work a complex algebraic function (if we ever learned how to do so in the first place)? It's truly pathetic. We deserve to have an uneducated shmoe like Shrub in office (it appears that none of his Ivy-league education has stuck with him, if he ever got anything from it, educationally, in the first place).
#10 of 36 Old 05-08-2003, 03:14 PM

Thankfully the "conservatives" haven't taken that right away, at least for now. But I'm sure there's a plan in the works.
#11 of 36 Old 05-08-2003, 03:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Nursing Mother
...it happens to be that there are more Conservative talk radio shows then liberal because more people wish talk on those issues....
Huh? Any studies to support this statement?

One shouldn't confuse a loud minority with a majority. Unfortunately, this is a frequent error in this country (if not also elsewhere).

Also, for the record, NPR isn't liberal. It's middle-of-the-road...unless a relative degree of evenhandedness and impartial reporting now equals "liberal."
#12 of 36 Old 05-08-2003, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Marlena
The true level of discourse, on the other hand, will be raised by raising the level of public education in this country to something at least roughly on a par with that enjoyed in other Western nations. Most of us Americans (myself certainly included) have marginal grasp of history - even our own. Something like 20% of American adults are functionally illiterate. For those who are literate, how many had, or if they had it, recall their education in the history of English poetry? How many are able to analyze an event using a multidisciplinary (eg, political, economic and philosophical) approach? How many of us can still easily work a complex algebraic function (if we ever learned how to do so in the first place)? It's truly pathetic. We deserve to have an uneducated shmoe like Shrub in office (it appears that none of his Ivy-league education has stuck with him, if he ever got anything from it, educationally, in the first place).
Well, I think I've been spared quite a bit by not living in the US for the last 10 years and being exposed to the growth in radio call in shows- although my DH & I were actually guests on one once when we were on home assignment in 1999. There were call-in programs on the radio when I still lived there - but when I heard them I just changed the channel and wondered what sort of people can listen to that stuff all day - I thought they must be really lonely folks. But the growth in the number of them makes me also wonder about the daily life of so many Americans. How interesting IS life there? It seems that the article was referring to the possible correlation between the angry talk shows and violent actions. Could it be the popularity of these shows is indicative of the growth in fear (UmmNuh!! ), frustration and boredom of the US American people and they don't need much to push them over and therefore the Radio shows just give them that little power push that they need? The culture there is really fragle, based on an ideal of freedom and material wealth - and now they have been attacked and are suffering financially - so of course their fear will grow . . . and they feel more secure in the company of similar thinking folks (who doesn't!) But the question and premise of the article was - does this stuff lead to an environment of intolerence? And there I have to disagree with NM - it isn't just a difference of opinion or who measures which information how - it has to do with a self centered, fear based meaness of spirit that dominates most of these talk shows and if that cannot be recognized as something evil by conservatives and liberals - and ALL Americans - then they are really lost to humanity. INTOLERENCE SHOULD NOT BE TOLERATED!!! :LOL
#13 of 36 Old 05-08-2003, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Marlena
Also, for the record, NPR isn't liberal. It's middle-of-the-road...unless a relative degree of evenhandedness and impartial reporting now equals "liberal."
It always has:by those on the extremes.
#14 of 36 Old 05-08-2003, 04:22 PM
Banned

T

From the article:

Quote:
"People choose to listen to stations they tend to agree with," said Margaret Gordon, dean emeritus of the Evans School of Public Affairs at the University of Washington. "Very few listen to stations where their views will be challenged."
I do have to hand it to NM (and a handful of others) for hanging here in Activism!
#15 of 36 Old 05-08-2003, 05:34 PM

NPR may be officially MOR, but the vast majority of its programming has a decidedly liberal bent.

Granted, that's just from my own decidedly unscientific listening (and I listen very extremely intensely regularly) over very many years, and granted, I'm in a very specifically liberal city (Republican mayors notwithstanding).

Really, that's hard to debate with a straight face.

I kind of enjoy the other talk radio things on occasion. My favorite local example is Ron Kuby and Curtis Sliwa sharing a microphone. There's something cathartic in hearing people vent, on both sides.

But go back to your serious analysis, ladies. I'll just sit here ringside ...

#16 of 36 Old 05-08-2003, 07:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Really, that's hard to debate with a straight face.
I suppose so, if one's conservative, as conservative tends to be defined these days.

Or perhaps more correctly, it's true if one accepts the steady rightward drift in the definitions of "liberal" and "conservative" over the past 20 years or so. I would argue, however, that this is a thoughless and dangerous thing to do.
#17 of 36 Old 05-08-2003, 09:23 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I have been listening to "Talk Radio" since KABC 790 AM became the very first talk radio station in the nation in 1960.

I remember as a grammar school student hearing lively discussions on the radio with Michael Jackson, Pamela Mason, Ray Briem, Hilly Rose, health discussions with Carleton Fredericks. I remember hearing the Test Ban Treaty discussed, the Civil Rights issues, later the Vietnam War, Watergate, Propostion 13.

I enjoyed hearing Dr. Tony Grant, Dr. David Viscoff, Dr. Laura Schlessinger, Paul Harvey, Ira Fistell, and Stephanie ******.

My DH and I have enjoyed actually meeting Bill Handel, John & Ken, Larry Elder, Joel Roberts, and have attended some very fine speeches by Dennis Prager.

I enjoyed hearing Dr. Robert S. Mendelsohn on the radio AND seeing him on Phil Donahue's old NBC television talk show. That was educational!

When I worked the graveyard shift at Motel 6 for seven years, Art Bell and I kept good company! His show seemed to go very well in those early morning hours when it was dark and I was all alone.

Yes, I think it is entertaining also. The problem is that people do not know how to think critically and to think beyond the spoken word. People are too lazy to "hear" between the lines and derive the truth and meaning of what another person is saying.

I did and DO enjoy radio talk shows because I HATE sitting on my butt in front of the telelvision. I do read the paper, but when I am in my car, the radio and I are going together in a happy, healthy way.

If someone is so intolerant that they cannot handle an opposing point of view simply by hearing it on the radio, then that person has a behavioral problem.

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
#18 of 36 Old 05-08-2003, 09:39 PM

I feel that so far radio talk shows remain fairly educational.

I have noticed some silliness and misogyny (Howard Stern, Tom Leykis) on the air. I do not listen to these people.

Television talk shows used to be informative as Phil Donahue in the beginning in the early 1970's and Tom Duggan in the 1950's; now it is purely entertainment with sound bytes for people with very short attention spans.

Radio talk is very expensive so there are lots of commercials to pay for it. There is lots of repetition of subject matter since it is assumed that the audience turns over every eighteen minutes according to their stats and studies of their own audience.

Radio talk has its shortcomings, but I really enjoy the discourse.

One of the overnighters is a neighbor of mine now!...and I have met Marvin of the Movies....

Los Angeles is a really small town!

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
#19 of 36 Old 05-09-2003, 03:31 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by applejuice
If someone is so intolerant that they cannot handle an opposing point of view simply by hearing it on the radio, then that person has a behavioral problem.
Ouch!

On my own defense - after studying systematic desensitization I am concerned, as the writer of the article was as well (so I guess I'm not the only one with a behavioral problem), about the effects of the masses of verbal abuse and its effects on society. Maybe I do have a behavioral problem in so far as when I hear someone - and there are so many - who spew garbage out for all the world to hear never contemplating the effects of their words, ot the source or validity of their arguments, it reminds me too much of our politicians and it frustrates me the direction the US seems to be wanting to take the world.
#20 of 36 Old 05-09-2003, 03:44 AM

I have had to tolerate alot of people being extremely rude straight into my face for alot of reasons.

I have even had people lie straight into my face.

I have had alot of abuse in my life.

Perhaps that is why I can tolerate TalkRadio.

Who knows.

#21 of 36 Old 05-09-2003, 09:14 AM

Quote:
I have had to tolerate alot of people being extremely rude straight into my face for alot of reasons.

I have even had people lie straight into my face.

I have had alot of abuse in my life.

Perhaps that is why I can tolerate TalkRadio.

Who knows.
Applejuice, I am sincerely sorry that you have had to tolerate so much cruelty. I wanted to cry when I saw what you wrote. I guess that is why I have a hard time tolerating Talkradio - because my empathy factor is so high. When I see or hear such abuse I either react with tears and total weakness or I rise to the defense of those abused. I was like this as a child, too - for handicapped kids who would get picked on. I've been abused (albeit only once was I physically abused), too, as a result of those actions - but I never saw it as such - I saw it as fighting the good fight and suffering for a good cause.

So here comes perhaps the question that needs to be dealt with as a result of this article - how much tolerance is needed? These boards have set some bounderies - they have a limit to what they will tolerate. But things are different in IRL and what you have experienced IRL should not have been allowed. Is it a behavioral problem not to tolerate abuse or to have to tolerate abuse? Do you feel as a result of your abuses stronger and wiser - or numbed?
#22 of 36 Old 05-09-2003, 09:23 AM

The desensitization El refers to is what concerns me. That people can, over and over, hear the same thing (and we must admit that NPR tends not to beat subjects to death, at least), to the point where they truly, deeply, reverently believe it--even though the majority of evidence supports an opposing view.

Global warming, as an example. This friend refuses to believe humans and our greenhouse gases play a role in the destruction of the ozone and resulting atmospheric changes on our little planet.

OK, believe it.

But--does that mean we should keep the public driving one person per giganto-SUV, and crank the heat in winter, and take that daily 20 minute hot shower, and eat beef daily, and consume consume consume? Is that the logical conclusion to have?

And, as a someone who sees herself as a victim re: the stares and occasional mistreatment by bigots for being Muslim, HOW is it OK to listen to someone stereotyping other ethnic/religious etc. groups? And what happens when the person you so respect on the radio finally groups YOU among the lazy, the stupid, the satanic, etc?

I am not Mexican. I know a very limited number of people of Hispanic origin. Why should I care if someone calls this particular ethnic group lazy? Well, I do--because the few people I know from this group are all very hardworking, intelligent individuals, so such a stereotype must be wrong and stupid.

Besides...you never know when it will be YOU they're coming after.

Again, intolerance just should not be tolerated. The world is too small and too fragile.
#23 of 36 Old 05-09-2003, 09:43 AM

Never could plug into it..... true "talk" radio that is. From the gitgo I found it to violent. And misogynistic and boring - I mean they go round and round with the same issues! And all the stations seem to be talking abt the same thing on any given day.

But, I did listen to WGN for a while. Huge station out of Chicago, with news and talk. Definite conservative leanings. I have found that I can't stomach the pro-war, pro-tax cut, pro-patriot discussion anymore. NPR gets all my time now-has been for some time. I love hearing about news that would not even get a mention on any major network. REAL news, not regurgitated pap over and over.

I, too, cannot believe the amount of ppl I have discourse with that simply repeat Rush Limbaugh (or worse) back to me......................

On a (perhaps) positive note: I've been having a daily back and forth with a Rushite and in discussing why a larger anti-war presence this time vs Bosnia I proposed that perhaps the internet helped, greatly, to get the message out. Mother Jones did an article on Eli Pariser of MoveOn (anyone else shocked that he is only 22?).

So, while the angry folks have the airwaves we can have the www.............

?

El
#24 of 36 Old 05-10-2003, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Els' 3 Ones
On a (perhaps) positive note: I've been having a daily back and forth with a Rushite and in discussing why a larger anti-war presence this time vs Bosnia I proposed that perhaps the internet helped, greatly, to get the message out.
My theory on that is the leadership style of the two Presidents - I ran into another Ami (who worked in DC for the G'mnt) and she said, basically, "He (Bush) may even be right, but the WAY he goes about it is wrong!" He comes across world wide like a power hungry bully! And that brings people out of their cubby holes to protest who may have protested by Bosnia, but didn't feel mad enough.
#25 of 36 Old 05-10-2003, 05:26 PM

Regarding talkradio, entertainment, and first amendment rights...

I refer to Article 19 of the United Nations Human Rights Charter:

"Everyone has the right to freedom of opinion and expression; this right includes freedom to hold opinions without interference and to seek, receive and impart information and ideas through any media regardless of frontiers."

Opinions are neither right nor are wrong.

One does not have to agree with them. They are just opinions.

...and one needs to learn to choose their battles wisely.

#26 of 36 Old 05-10-2003, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Opinions are neither right nor are wrong.

One does not have to agree with them. They are just opinions.
I agree! My problem comes when someone spouts off opinions as facts, when they are actually not true (like Clinton admin. having a deficit (for the first 2 years this was true (left over from Bush I) but for the last 6 there was a surplus) etc. . .) and they go uncorrected. Don't you just hate that "don't confuse me with the facts I've made up my mind" attitude? It's like people sticking their fingers in their ears while someone else is talking and saying, "I can't hear you, hmmm, LALALALA ....." There are actually laws here that you cannot defame someone's character, you could be taken to court to prove your comment about someone is true. Could you imagine laws like that in the US? And there are already so many lawsuits!!! Maybe it is an overreaction to WWII - but it certainly is much more pleasant and seems more tolerant here. There are a lot of political discussions - but a high level of tolerence for the arious opinions. When I first came here and got into a political discussion I felt real discomfort and pain at the degree to which they are willing to go in discussing politics - in one case I was just sure that the person couldn't possibly like me anymore - but I was surprised to see them go on as though nothing had happened. I had to get used to the degree fo political talk there was and the level of acceptence. But ignorance has little acceptence here - they won't let that go (German thoroughness!) And chosing your battles carefully - it seems like a lot of those people on the radio are battling over little stuff - like they are just full of rage and can't wait to vent it somewhere. That's why I can't stand to listen to it. I do think it would be interesting to study the effects of talkradio on the tolerence and violence level of the population. It would be a really hard study to do - you'd have to figure out first if the talkradio programs just attract intolerant people or create or contribute to the intolerence - and how would you be able to measure that kinda stuff anyway. Applejuice, don't get me wrong - I'm not calling for an all out ban of talkradio - I'm just pondering the different aspects of the phenomena and the article - and my opinion about it all . . . you aren't mad are you?
#27 of 36 Old 05-10-2003, 09:36 PM

Just get handle on what Talkradio is....

Nearly twenty years ago an arrogant buffoon of a man had a radio show in Sacramento, California, a relatively small town not too far from San Francisco. He did something called "caller abortions" with a vacuum cleaner noise in the background and made all kinds of fun of gay people.

Very politically incorrect.

The station manager was a gay man who liked the ratings and $ this nut brought to the station. This buffoon is now in New York, in the "EIB", Rush Limbaugh. Don't like him, don't listen to him. He is a bore, but wildly popular for some reason ($). I work when he is on here on the "Left Coast", and I don't think he even agrees with his own drivel, but there he is. I really cannot figure out his popularity. He even had his own television show for a while.

I guess in the USA we have freedom of speech and it works as "well" as it does for us because of our culture; there are limits as Oliver Wendell Holmes said, "you can not yell 'fire' in a crowded theatre" just because we have the First Amendment. I believe in other places, as in Germany, there are limits on "free" speech as I understand it because it works there. That may be a reaction/aftermath to WWII.

If I do not like what I hear, I turn the dial. I have the freedom to do that.

I guess it may be because of my age; I cannot stand some music stations, even the oldies stations. The talkradio programs with Toni Grant and David Viscott kept me company intellectually in the pm when my dear children were little and I was a SAHM.

Television talk shows used to be fairly informative. I remember seeing the Colfax family on the Phil Donahue show; they were the homeschooling family that sent three of four sons to Harvard; their first day of formal school was their first day of their freshman year at Harvard. The New York audience was quite hostile toward them. I found this to be an interesting lesson in sociological attitudes. The mother, Micki Colfax, told the studio that homeschooling would have been easier in New York with all of the cultural landmarks and museums rather than on a mountaintop in rural Contra Costa County, California.

Now I feel television has become an intellectual wasteland.

I am hoping that talk radio does not become that way. I do listen to cooking shows, car repair shows, $ investment shows, consumer information, legal advice, and some political and current event discourse. I often find that the moderator is not as well informed as he/she should be.

I am hoping that radio talk shows maintain a level of intelligence.

I'd hate to see more "Howard Stern" types.

DH and I enjoy listening to some shows and discussing what we hear. We have met some of the local personalities which makes it interesting. I feel that I am a responsible talkradio listener and would not like that take away from me.

If you do not like it, turn the dial. Save your battle for another day.

#28 of 36 Old 05-10-2003, 10:38 PM

I listen to talk radio as a hobby, and I gotta say that I 100 percent agree with applejuice.

Everyone always wants free speech, until they run into something that offends them or that they don't agree with. And I really don't get why people think that radio talkingheads are representing themselves as factual news sources. Have those who accuse them of doing so listened to any one of the programs in question for a whole week?

If you do that, honestly, you will see that their opinions are given vehemently (and often times with some intellectual backup) in the same manner that people represent themselves here in the activism forum.

How far are you willing to take the censorship here? Say we get all the conservative obnoxious folks off the airways. Do we shut down the Washington Post? Do we outlaw newspaper op-ed pages? Should we shut down Pacifica, as well as Drudge? Who decides who is worthy to state their opinions on the airwaves?

If you don't like it, turn your dial and boycott the advertisers. Normally I am able to laugh at the shows (and it's intereting to hear a different slant), but sometimes I must turn it off when I feel myself getting too angry. I am an adult. I am capable of this. I do not need to restrict someone else's speech or demand censorship to take care of myself, especially when it can be done so easily.

And no, I don't accept "but they would love to censor us" as a valid argument. No dice. Preemptive strikes and two wrongs are not a moral or ethical choice.

Incidentally, sometimes things you hear on the talk radio shows will hearten you. I believe it is FAR too prevalent for 'liberals' to dehumanize conservatives and assume them to all be bigots. Yet this past week, I listened to two solid hours of Bill O'Reilly ripping in to callers who were trying to justify the 'white only' prom in Georgia...when that story hardly made the news on NPR or other 'real news' media. You could tell that he was truly angry and disturbed that people thought that could possibly be justified in any way. It reminded me to look at him as a real person who actually, despite my distaste for his political views, might be a kind or decent man...and convicted me how hypocritical it is for me to write someone I don't know off as a horrible person based on a very one-dimensional side of him that I know--from his political rants.

If one looks at MY political rants on this board over the last six months, I am sure that someone who doesn't share my views could easily get the impression that I am a hateful, angry person at the core of my being. That is not who I am...but this is my forum to vent and be argumentative.

If we proclaim ourselves to be open-minded, gentle people, then we must also be willing to apply that to people we don't like. And acknowledge that when we get angry at things like this, it might just be because a little part of ourselves feels miffed that those people not only have a bigger forum for expressing their opinion, but that they are essentially doing the same thing that most people do in a heated conversation--expressing their opinion/feelings as fact. I am jealous that I don't get rich telling people "like it is" too! But the sad thing is that even if I had my own radio show, there would be plenty of people who would think me just as obnoxious and close-minded as Mr. Limbaugh or Mr. Savage.

The danger is not talk radio. The danger is the temptation to remove that which we disagree with as a kneejerk reaction, rather than learning to train ourselves to respond in a constructive fashion to it.
#29 of 36 Old 05-10-2003, 10:58 PM
Banned

I agree that the danger is not talk radio. Rather, the danger is in the appallingly uneducated populace we have, who could listen to such rants and believe them as fact, notwithstanding the sheer absence of supporting and verifiable information. It's also quite disturbing, given the apparent credulity of the American public, that so much of talk radio is vitriolic right-wing pap. If we're going to have an uneducated, credulous public, then at least we could have some balance in the crap that gets spewed across the airways (Well, many not: let's hear it for _more_ vitriolic, unsupported nonsense over the radio, just as long as it's left wing! : )
#30 of 36 Old 05-11-2003, 12:12 AM

I hear what you are saying Tigerchild(in above snippet that NM quoted). But for me you have only pointed to the quintessential difference between NPR and right wing radio. I don't_have_to listen to heated "opinions" expressed as fact from the hosts. Like Amy, I listen to Brian Lehrer - WNYC- and frankly, he usually just asks questions of his guests. He is very good at it in fact. He actually manages to do it without insulting or belittling them. What a novel idea! I rarely hear a diatribe from him about anything. Prior to the "war" it was easy to tell from his questions that he didn't think it was the "right" thing to do and needed to be convinced. So he brought on a gazillion guests from all over the spectrum to try to convince him and us otherwise (or not).

And let's see...I haven't heard any racial slurs, immigrant bashing, women bashing, insults or belittling. I haven't heard one comment about those "damn conservatives" and their mucking up everything. I think it is a sad reflection on the people in this country that they actually would listen to someone who does any of the things I have listed above.

It has nothing to do with not agreeing with their opinions, it has to do with the level of discourse. I will take mine without insults, bashing, racism and sexism thankyouverymuch.

~Deirdre

PS ~ TC, I in no way support "banning" talk radio from the airwaves so this is not in response to the rest of your post which seems to be arguing against that idea.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page