Mothering Forum banner

Nobel peace prize nomination ...

3K views 32 replies 23 participants last post by  El Casey S 
#1 ·
Just when you thought you had heard it all.

http://famulus.msnbc.com/FamulusIntl...sp?reg=MIDEAST

"A Norwegian parliamentarian nominated U.S. President George W. Bush and British Prime Minister Tony Blair for the Nobel Peace Prize on Thursday, praising them for winning the war in Iraq. "

Susan :puke

#14 ·
They win $ to be used in their continual pursuit of peace.

The story goes...

The Noble Peace Prize was founded by Alfred Nobel who read his own erroneous obituary. He then realized that with all of the $ he had made from his inventions and research, that he would be only a footnote scientist in the history books. The dynamite was used to make tunnels in the mountain passes of the Alps as far as I know, but its more murderous powers were discovered not too long after.

In other words, Alfred Nobel invented dynamite, and then created a $ award to encourage others not to use it.

George W. Bush also has been indicted for war crimes by the World Court in Belgium. Did I get that one right?

:

#15 ·
At the time that Yitzhak Rabin, Shimon Peres, and Yasser Arafat won the prize, it did not seem outlandish. In the year up to the nominations, they had taken down enormous barriers and began negotiations for peace. It was the next year (1995) that things seemed to fall apart. Arafat was not able to reign in the Palestinian militants. A Jewish religious extremist, Yagil Amir, killed Rabin. Peres lost power in 1996 to Netanyahu. And not until 2000 that Arafat began to look like an obstacle to peace, when he would not give in on Jerusaleum and the return of the refugees. But there is a six year time lapse and many events that occured between when he was a recipient of the Nobel Peace Prize and when he was viewed as an obstacle to peace.

#18 ·
on another board I post on someone asked if we thought it was appropriate. I posted that I didn't think it was, since so many of the people on the laureate list had worked for peace above all else....
the people I posted were
Nelson Mandela
International Committe to Ban Landmines
MLK
Mother Teresa
The Dalai Lama
Amnesty International

I also said that I didn't see Bush or Blair as equal to any of those people.

Some replied and said that based ont hat list of people she thought Bush and Blair deserved to win....

My thought WTF???? ummmmm how does Bush's selfish need to go to war to prove he is the biggest man on campus compare to the selfless LIFETIME work of Mother Teresa? Or a boy who had everything handed to him, $$ college, jobs compare to a 16 year old who had to take control of his country when the Chinese invaded and then flee across a mountain range to safety???

Ugh....I don't get it.

#20 ·
NM - I am assuming that you were speaking to ME and not to Arduinna when you quoted the "selfish need to go to war" bit.

You are right, A lot of people feel differently...I feel that he had his own reasons to go to war....that were not altruistically motivated.

Again...not sure how killing people in order to end terrorism is deserving of the nobel peace prize....since the direct result was war - which kind of seems in DIRECT opposition to the whole PEACE prize thing. I find the whole thing ludicrous.

As always, just as your posts are your opinions...mine are my opinions.

#21 ·
Listen...

The same guy who nominated the spoiled fratboy this time, nominated him last time for Afghanistan didn't he? Of course, we all know Afghanistan is SUCH a success, right? (There is probably something in it for him as these guys can't do anything without a string, iykwim.)

Can you imagine the fury unleashed when gentle, old Mr. Carter, was nominated and won last year? Heads exploded among many groups of RW'ers online when the world DARED to recognize Mr. Carter for his lifetime of devotion to peace and humankind.

(He's a Dem for crissakes! Dems are the devil, dontcha know!)

I feel this current Nobel nomination is just another bid to stroke the ego of Bush (you can keep the weak-minded distracted with shiny things) and helps fulfill the goals of his real controllers. I don't know if it's the PNAC or if they are only a part of some multinational group, since their members seem to have connections globally and use them regularly. But I do suspect that they are not really the ones in control. They just apparently reap lots of big $$$ from the chaos; all they can, for doing the dirty work. Quite a lucrative and fun job for them- since they seem just so fulfilled and happy with themselves- screw the people.

After all, "they" sure must create a history that shows Bush the peace-loving, righteous, warrior leader, and he sure is not. If I were to say that he is truly behind all the fun we are seeing today, I would be giving him waaaaay too much credit.

He has less than average intelligence, addiction problems to the point of dry drunk, and is easily manipulated by his handlers. This Nobel Prize thing among other things, is all window dressing for the masses who have no will left and have given up their intelligence gladly and willingly for what passes for security. It keeps them occupied and silent and compliant.

I am so sick of willful ignorance...in my opinion, it truly borders on treason. Just take a real look around.

More and more countries are giving in to the will of the US...so perhaps, Mr. Bush will win this time. Other countries may support giving the Nobel Prize to him to keep themselves secure, and appease him, just as they became part of the coalition of the "coerced" in support of the war. Look what has happened to countries choosing to be contrary: Canada is facing consequences for even considering decriminalization of marijuana, etc. France is suffering economic slump, Germany is not happy either. There is always the bullying to get what is desired and "necessary" to push the agenda along.

Let me add this link from another post. I was called on the carpet for saying that I didn't choose to reply to responses about it, when I posted it to another thread...and even got a PM about it. I just don't have the energy or the desire to go 'round and 'round, spinning wheels anymore.

I post it here because it is appropriate and you may find it so also after viewing the snippet I posted. If not then don't bother reading it. Life is simple:

Here is a snip from "Somewhere Inside George W. Bush":

"Somewhere deep down inside George W. Bush, he knows that there is a difference between Christian compassion and religious belligerence and self-righteousness. He knows that you can't destroy human life with executions and precision bombing and then pretend to be working for the Prince of Peace."

More here:

http://www.bushwatch.net/bushh.htm

This Nobel Prize nomination is so very insulting to those who truly worked for peace (nominate Rachel Corey posthumously, I say) and so very transparent; just like the motives of our leaders, come to think of it.

Sickened by this among SO many other things...Joyce in the mts

#24 ·
Despite what views you hold on the war, anyone can see that nominating a world leader who has just launched a massive offensive strike against another country for a Nobel Peace Prize is ludicrous at best, frightening at worst.

There are so many other individuals and groups that work to achieve change through peaceful means- what about Doctors Without Borders? Or any other peaceful group for that matter.

I just hope that whoever nominated Bush was joking, because peace is certainly one thing that was NOT achieved in the past few years.

#25 ·
The situation in the middle east is NOT more peaceful or stable as a result of his actions, it is unfathomable that ANYONE whose eyes are open could possibly think that what Bush did a.) created a more peaceful environment and b.) is a finished product. The bombings in Ryiad are just the beginning, thank yo Mr. Bush!
:

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.