JFK and alleged affair with 19 year old intern - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 43 Old 05-12-2003, 01:09 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Interesting, I guess. Such a different time back then...when these things were known among many but not dragged through the streets for the public to cheer and boo.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...nnedy_intern_1

Quote:
"She had no skills. She could answer the phone," Robert Dallek, author of "An Unfinished Life," told "Dateline NBC" in an interview that aired Sunday. "Apparently, her only skill was to provide sexual release for JFK on those trips and maybe in the White House."
Quote:
Gamarekian had asked that the 17 pages in her oral history dealing with the intern be kept secret for a decade, then later asked the Kennedy Library in Boston, where her account is archived, to keep it sealed.
#2 of 43 Old 05-12-2003, 06:02 PM

#3 of 43 Old 05-12-2003, 06:04 PM

I didn't know that Eisenhower was a Dem!...Joyce in the mts.

CD Labor/Postpartum (MSTM), Doula trainer (BAI), Midwifery Student/Apprentice, CPS Tech
#4 of 43 Old 05-12-2003, 06:08 PM

Or Bush Sr. I remember lots of whispers of a Jennifer in his past when Gennifer Flowers was in the news.
Not to mention Ronnie impregnating Nancy while married to his first wife. Such paragons of virtue, those R's!!

FWIW, I've heard that Kennedy's overactive libido was somehow allied to the endocrine disorder he suffered from and we weren't told about...anybody else remember hearing this?
#5 of 43 Old 05-12-2003, 06:08 PM

Ha, dem presidents have a hard time keeping their pants zipped, lololol. Maybe they just don't have alot of sex hangups??

Personally since the question (regarding sex and clinton) wasn't applicable to the case (paula jones) it shouldn't have been allowed to be asked in court (consentual sex has no relation to sexual harassment) . And I don't think that we have a right to know if the pres gets a bj in the oval office or anywhere else. It's info that should be between the parties involved (he, his wife and anyone else he is having sex with). I still can't figure out the right wing facination with peoples sex lives. Well, I can guess, but I'm sure I'd get in trouble if I posted what I really think.

btw, using the term nasty to refer to any sexual act is really telling.
#6 of 43 Old 05-12-2003, 06:23 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Arduinna
btw, using the term nasty to refer to any sexual act is really telling.
ITA. What is up with that? More specifically, 'a nasty'. What is that?
#7 of 43 Old 05-12-2003, 06:38 PM

LOLOL, I figured that The Nasty was what was meant. But what do I know?

The real reason that we don't remember any repub sex scandles:
Can anyone name a repub president that they would want to go down on????? I know I can't, lolol.
#8 of 43 Old 05-12-2003, 06:38 PM

#9 of 43 Old 05-12-2003, 06:42 PM

Insider:
Quote:
For the life of me I can't remember which president was left out.
I think I read somewhere that Nixon was very loyal to his wife.
#10 of 43 Old 05-12-2003, 06:59 PM

Ah, Nursing Mother, some of us very committed Christians figure that he or she who is without sin should cast the first stone...it kinda stuck in my craw that someone like Newt Gingrich, an elected official who also had quite a problem with morality and fidelity to his wife, led the attack on good ol' Bill.

I agree with you about the Kennedy thing, tho'. His disorder was not an excuse for his behavior...actiually it is an example of something we SHOULD have known about. I think he was a pretty effective president, considering that he was addicted to painkillers and had Addison's and whatever else... In his case, the philandering was partly a symptom of something much worse that the American people SHOULD have been told about. But the press was too damn flattered by him, I guess.

But I figure we should have known about Ronnie's Alzheimer's while in office...explains a lot to me!! (not entirely serious about this one, but I do wonder...my dad was definitely a different person for years before his diagnosis (Alzheimer's), but you couldn't quite put your finger on it...)

and could you please explain to me how Ronnie not cheating on his second wife when he was an old man excuses what he did when he was young? still a sin, in my book.
#11 of 43 Old 05-12-2003, 07:02 PM

I think affairs/sexual infidelity are horrible; but I also think dragging them through the public gossip mongering is horrible. I always felt sorry for Chelsea.

I never voted for Clinton (or Bush Sr., either...I just didn't vote for the presidential office then ...or Dole) but I thought there could have been far better things to investigate him on. That just seemed so useless to spend time on at such a high level. It reminded me of listening to the Senate hearings in 1983 (? '82?) on rock lyrics. ....going off topic here... I couldn't believe that what with everything happening in the world (Libya, problems in Egypt, Israel, economic problems here, companies moving offshore and blaming unions for it, etc. etc.) our Senate's time was filled with discussions of Twisted Sister and WASP. Lousy bands, but certainly not a Federal Matter! And that was why I never could have voted for Gore. He brought it up because his wife wanted to make it an issue. No one had voted her in and it was a really inappropriate thing to waste time on. .... anyhow, I did wonder while the sex scandal was in ALL the papers, what WASN'T being reported that we really needed to know about.

Just curious.
#12 of 43 Old 05-12-2003, 07:36 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Thanks for the clarification of 'a nasty'. I thought the Federal issue for the House Managers in the Starr report was alleged obstruction of justice.

But between the Hyde, Livingston, Burton and Gingrich sexual misconduct, I got lost along the way. I keep meaning to re read the history from start to finish.
#13 of 43 Old 05-12-2003, 07:38 PM

"You SHOULD be held more accountable for any illicit behavior."

ahh but who is deciding it's illicit?? That's fine if you both decide it's illicit in your relationship. But shouldn't each couple get to decide what is and isn't acceptable behavior??

And how does consentual sex become an "abuse of power"?? Monica never said he forced her and all reports seem to say that she was very much the persuer.

Last I checked adultery is not a crime (anymore) and morality (especially sexual morality) is subjective and should only be decided by those participating in the relationship. Of course, this is the same party that supports laws against homosexual relationships and sex ect. I'm not suprised at the peeping toms wanting to decide what people do in the bedroom.
#14 of 43 Old 05-12-2003, 08:18 PM

Nursingmother:

Bush's allegeded amore was Jennifer Fitzgerald.... she worked, I think as a low level diplomat or in the office...or something like that... I recall their tryst got a lot of noise (news) and it involved a swiss chalet.

I remember it because I was working on a tv show at the time and we wrote a lot of jokes about it.

If you care, you can do a google search.. she'll show up.

And no, it is not just republican presidents who can't keep it in their pants.
Frankly I always heard a lot of stories about our current president.... before he became president and was using substances.... I heard about his 'girlfriends' from other conservatives and other texans..

But of course, girlfriends don't bother me nearly as much as statements like "leave no child behind" but then cut the programs that can help children.

Check out New Moon on my Astrology Site

http://tracyastrosalon.blogspot.com/

#15 of 43 Old 05-12-2003, 10:00 PM
pie

hell, if it was true, lucky her.
#16 of 43 Old 05-12-2003, 10:10 PM

by the way...part of the humor in the whole thing when it went down... no pun intended.... was that barbara fitzgerald...well, she kind of looked like barbara bush...sort of matronly....

#17 of 43 Old 05-13-2003, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Well I think we are talking about Presidents who have committed "indiscretions" WHILE holding the office of the Presidency
NM--It seems to me that your agenda here is to cast all democrats in a negative light and ignore any republican misbehavior. The fact that Reagan was unfaithful isn't important to you because he is a Republican and not because he did it before he was a US president.

It is irritating to no end that you can choose to ignore the acts of some politicians and then turn around persecute others for those same misdeeds or should I call them "nasties".

It is no secret to those who are willing to see it that politicians as a whole, republican, democrat and independent, have numerous affairs. Using moral criteria is moot IMO because just about everyone is in the wrong.

Kylix
#18 of 43 Old 05-13-2003, 12:57 AM

Quote:
and could you please explain to me how Ronnie not cheating on his second wife when he was an old man excuses what he did when he was young? still a sin, in my book.
He's getting paid back now. Just desserts IMNSHO.
#19 of 43 Old 05-13-2003, 08:50 AM

Hilary, 50 years of living with that dragon lady was payback enough, methinks, but THAT's just MNSHO!!
#20 of 43 Old 05-13-2003, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Yeah great payback To the women who has given her life in service and committment helping her dh deal with the devastational disease of Alzheimer's. I've heard she's been with him almost 24/7 caring and taking loving pains making his life more comfortable.
It's almost enough to make me believe there is a god.
#21 of 43 Old 05-13-2003, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hilary Briss
He's getting paid back now. Just desserts IMNSHO.
Yes, Alzheimers is such a wonderful thing to wish on someone.

Have you ever had to care for someone who first rots into a shell, completely losing themselves, and then has to deal with a lot of physical pain for years and years before finally they die? Have you ever witnessed how devastating that is to a family? (Oh, that's right. All spawn of republicans are just as inhuman as their parents. My bad. Do you hope all his kids get Alzhemiers too, to wipe out the line?)

That's disgusting to wish on someone. Totally disgusting.

It's disturbing that someone would find it funny, too.

If you want someone dead, then wish them shot. Or wish them humiliated. Or wish them to kill themselves. But wishing someone *Alzheimers*?

I sure as hell hope that I am misunderstanding that statement.
#22 of 43 Old 05-13-2003, 06:32 PM
Banned

IMO, the genuine scandal is why Congress and the U.S. public aren't screaming with outrage at the attempts of Bush et al. to roll back the Great Society and give to the wealthy at the expense of all other groups. Perhaps it's because it isn't nearly as sexy a topic as, well, extramarital sex. I guarantee you that if it came out that Bush was boinking someone (other than his wife) in the Oval Office and trying to hide it, we'd have just that outcry. Rather pathetic, really.
#23 of 43 Old 05-13-2003, 06:48 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Another Prez doing a young intern - so what else is new?

American History is full of this - Grover Cleveland married his ward; the first time a prez got married in the White House, and they had a baby - named a candy bar after her - Baby Ruth.

Andrew Jackson married a woman, a divorcee', before the divorce was final, so it would have been bigamy.

These are the ones that we know of.

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
#24 of 43 Old 05-13-2003, 09:35 PM

Quote:
No, you're reading me loud and clear.
#25 of 43 Old 05-14-2003, 02:39 PM

re: media and president

the latest vanity fair (with drew barrymore on the cover)
has a stinging critique of mainstream press coverage of George W and the war in Iraq.... page 86.

#26 of 43 Old 05-14-2003, 11:39 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Yes, I read that article...very good.

Thank you, Trabot, for pointing it out.

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
#27 of 43 Old 05-15-2003, 02:17 PM

T
Quote:
Originally posted by Tigerchild
Yes, Alzheimers is such a wonderful thing to wish on someone.
If you want someone dead, then wish them shot. Or wish them humiliated. Or wish them to kill themselves. But wishing someone *Alzheimers*?

I agree, HB, you may have crossed my line of decency there, but you have a right your opinions. I would have a hard time not wanting to wish Alzheimers on someone like Hitler, cause he's truly evil IMO. Perhaps the Reagans are truly evil in HB's mind. We're not able to walk in his shoes to know for sure where he was coming from. It was a very strong statement!

Marcy
#28 of 43 Old 05-15-2003, 03:13 PM

I think Alzheimer's disease is pretty light punishment for a monster like Reagan. Let's not forget that he had a hand in the murder of thousands of innocents in Central America in the 1980's, committed treason and subverted the Constitution of the United States, is partly responsible for the current chaos in the former Soviet Union, presided over a massive transfer of wealth from the lower and middle classes to the ruling elite... I could go on and on, but you get the picture. To put not too fine a point on it, I have more respect for the dog sh*t on the bottom of my shoe then I have for Ronald Wilson Reagan. I guess that makes me a liberal.

As for Nancy, well, she's an accessory. At the very least, she could have smothered him in his sleep.
#29 of 43 Old 05-15-2003, 03:19 PM

In an attempt to get this thread back on topic, a woman has identified herself as the 19 year old intern.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...ern_admits_all

Unfortunately, she doesn't answer the question on everybody's mind, namely, was JFK any good in the sack??? I hope he was better as a lover than he was a president. And, before you ask, yes, I think he probably got his just desserts, too.
#30 of 43 Old 05-15-2003, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Now that her secret is out, Fahnestock said, she wants to return to a private life.

In the current media hype climate?

I don't think so. But we'll see.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page