Car bomb outside of Ryiad Saudi - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 58 Old 05-12-2003, 07:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone have info on this? I just heard this on the local news and by the time it sunk in, I'd missed the story?

I did a search on-line and havn't come up with anything yet.
#2 of 58 Old 05-12-2003, 07:26 PM
pie

They crashed it into a compound housing westerners. I am guessing it is like the one Marg and Hilary Briss lived in. My god, that made me shake so bad.

I hope it wasn't yours, yall, or anyone you knew. Hope all of your friends and family are okay as well Cynthia.
#3 of 58 Old 05-12-2003, 07:32 PM - Thread Starter

My first thought was Cynthia! I emailed her right away, but it's pretty late over there. I hope to hear back from her soon.

Thank you for the update pie . How horrible! I'm at the edge of tears. I just don't know what else to say.

I hope HB and Marg's friends are all ok too.
#4 of 58 Old 05-12-2003, 08:59 PM

I have been trying to find out more information. At least three compounds where westerners live were targetted. The only one that has been identified so far is Al-Hamra, which was our sister compound, and it was located less than a mile from ours. At one time, over 100 employees from my company lived at Al-Hamra, including the company president. I'd guess there are about a dozen left there now.

This is exactly why we left... we anticipated something like this happening, and the only thing that surprised me was that it took so long for it to happen. I don't think Cynthia lives in a compound, so she's probably safe.
#5 of 58 Old 05-12-2003, 09:26 PM
pie

god Hilary I just keep thinking of you guys. I know you are safe in Cheeseland but when I met you, you were still there. I feel ill.
#6 of 58 Old 05-12-2003, 09:26 PM

My Gawd! I keep thinking of the one I used to live in and ___. I hope they are safe.

: madrone - : SAHM to 12 y.o. DS, : 9 y.o. DD, and : 4 y.o. DS
#7 of 58 Old 05-12-2003, 09:55 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info HB. No, Cynthia lives in a house, so hopefully, she and her family and friends are ok.

I'm so glad you and Marg are back in the US. I'll be thinking of your friends and co-workers and hope that they're ok

It sounds like this was directly targeted at Americans. I'm just sick about all this.
#8 of 58 Old 05-12-2003, 09:59 PM

The compound where I once lived was not just Americans. Americans were not even a majority there. It was westerners. Briss, you know these compounds. Are they westerners or Americans?

#9 of 58 Old 05-12-2003, 10:02 PM

Here's a not enough info yet BBC story:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/mid...st/3022473.stm

#10 of 58 Old 05-12-2003, 10:05 PM

Ms. Mom, you do know Cynthia's house is in the city and not within a compound? That's a relief.

#11 of 58 Old 05-12-2003, 10:26 PM

I have read reports that identify the three compounds as being Al-Hamra, Jadawel, and Cordoval. I don't remember a Cordoval compound, so I strongly suspect that this was actually Cordoba, which was my old compound. That would make sense, since all three compounds are in the same general area, and all three are on the A list of good compounds. We have been to all three compounds, and have or had friends at all of them.

Most of these compounds are a mix of Europeans, Americans, and people from Middle Eastern countries, such as Lebanon and Jordan. My compound never had a huge number of Yanks, it was mostly Europeans. Many of the Americans were, in the words of our racist compound manager, "plastic Americans", i.e., naturalized citizens. Our remaining close friends at Cordoba are Canadian, Irish and British.

The most serious damage appears to have been at Al-Hamra, and, in the past, there were a lot of Americans living there. Of course, the nationality of terror victims shouldn't matter, but it will get more coverage if there were westerners and/or Americans injured. I read that there was shooting within Al-Hamra before the explosion, and that there were many injuries, and possibly some fatalities.

I hate being right. All of the people that thought we were being paranoid for leaving probably wish they'd left as well.

These are the websites of two of the compounds:

http://www.alhamra.com.sa

http://www.cordoba.com.sa
#12 of 58 Old 05-12-2003, 10:39 PM

HB and MofA ~ I hope all of your friends are okay
#13 of 58 Old 05-12-2003, 10:42 PM
pie

Quote:
I don't remember a Cordoval compound, so I strongly suspect that this was actually Cordoba, which was my old compound. That would make sense, since all three compounds are in the same general area, and all three are on the A list of good compounds. We have been to all three compounds, and have or had friends at all of them.
#14 of 58 Old 05-12-2003, 10:48 PM

Thanks everyone for your expressions of concern. It is very upsetting news. Earlier today I was watching some of our old videos of life in the Kingdom... we really had some nice times there, and now it's all falling apart.

I have written to all of my friends, to find out if they're OK. I don't expect to hear back from some of them, since I believe the compounds that were hit have been evacuated. My Dutch friend lives in another compound on the other side of the city, so I may hear from him soon. His wife is pregnant, and I think she is far enough along that she can't fly out. He did say recently (jokingly?) that if things got bad they could take a boat to Eritrea.

I also read that the attackers shot their way into the compounds, which means that almost surely some of our security guard friends (mostly Asians) were injured, or killed.
#15 of 58 Old 05-12-2003, 10:54 PM
Banned

#16 of 58 Old 05-12-2003, 10:54 PM
pie

GOd I am so upset. It is so weird. I don't want this to happen to the place you guys loved so much. I am so so so sorry to the both of you.
#17 of 58 Old 05-12-2003, 10:56 PM
pie

Quote:
The American presence in the kingdom, home to two of the holiest Islamic cities, Mecca and Medina, is considered offensive by many Muslims

oh and bombs and guns in the middle of the night where innocent people and their children sleep are not offensive? Nice.
#18 of 58 Old 05-12-2003, 11:41 PM - Thread Starter

I'm pretty sure that Cynthia is not in a compound. However, I still haven't heard from her and that's making me nervous. The first link someone posted here said that several homes surrounding the compounds were destroyed.

I'm sad and sickened by all this. How many more people are going to have to die?

Pie, I totally agree with you. These were people's HOMES! Families with children!! What's wrong with people?

HB, thank you for the links to the compounds. They look like such lovely places. My heart is breaking for all the families who lived there and the families now living in deeper fear.
#19 of 58 Old 05-13-2003, 12:25 AM

Maybe with the time difference and everything going on she hasn't had a chance to log in.

This is so very sad...HB and Marg.. I hope you hear from everyone and they are ok.

Not all those who wander are lost 
#20 of 58 Old 05-13-2003, 12:45 AM
pie

the blasts could have messed with communications too. I hope she is alright.
#21 of 58 Old 05-13-2003, 12:52 AM

Marg called the State Department hotline, and they will have a list of the victims tomorrow. I can't believe this really finally happened. We always thought that the fanatics might hit the residential compounds, or try to blow up the American school.

Our villa was on the first cul de sac to the left of the front gate. I'll bet it's gone, since most of the blasts occurred at or near the front gates. This is really weird, we spent a lot of time in Kuta, Bali, too. We have been to the sites of two major terror attacks. Where next???
#22 of 58 Old 05-13-2003, 12:56 AM

The Saudis and Americans are reaping a bitter harvest from the seeds they have planted. They permitted the sickness that is wahhabism to flourish and spread all over the world. It is going to take a long time and a lot of work to pull out the weeds.

I am very sorry for the families who were hurt by this, I am glad that you had the good sense to forsee this and leave HB.
#23 of 58 Old 05-13-2003, 12:59 AM - Thread Starter

I think you're safe in the cheese state.

This must be so shocking to you I can only imagine how odd it must feel knowing a place you and your family lived is most likely gone.

The latest I'm hearing is that the finger is being pointed at Binladen an company.

Sorry about my spelling tonight - I'm just too tired to look for the correct spellings.
#24 of 58 Old 05-13-2003, 06:27 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
I am fine. My family is fine. Those compounds were near the area we live but not near enough that I heard the blasts or felt them. I was oblivious until this morning.

Sad and scary times we live in.

#25 of 58 Old 05-13-2003, 06:32 AM

I, too, was worrying about you since the moment I heard about it this AM. Thanks for posting I was starting to panic! I really feel like I'm in a bad film lately - it is all so surreal. And of course, the US is totally guiltless!: for you and yours!
#26 of 58 Old 05-13-2003, 07:42 AM - Thread Starter

El Casey S, we're the 'poor innocent victums' don't you know?: I'm just so upset by this.

Cynthia I'm so thankfull you and your family are ok. I was worried sick last night.
#27 of 58 Old 05-13-2003, 07:43 AM

I'm relieved you posted Cynthia. I was worried too.
HB, how long ago did you move away? I really hope your friends are okay. Take care. Tiff

#28 of 58 Old 05-13-2003, 07:47 AM

I have gotten replies back from most of my friends in Riyadh. It appears that my old compound did not sustain much damage. There are large concrete barriers all around the compound, which make it difficult to bring in large trucks laden with explosives. This is a holdover from the days when some black bag people lived there; they all left in 2000. The barriers remained, however, and some people were unhappy about it, because it made it more difficult to get in and out of the compound. I'll bet they're happy now. There was some minor damage, but it may have been the result from the shockwave from the Al-Hamra blast.

I have seen many pictures from Al-Hamra, and it is very badly damaged. Dutch colleagues on the ground report at least 20 fatalities. A close colleague of mine is hospitalized, status unknown. His villa was apparently quite close to the blast area. Al-Hamra had very lax security compared to my compound. It is also one of the biggest compounds in Riyadh. I'm not at all surprised that they were a target, and that they sustained heavy damage. In the past, some people there tended to have a bit of an elitist attitude.

I also recognized the destroyed front gate at Jadawel compound. I don't think the attackers were able to get past the gate, as there were retractable metal barriers which would prevent a vehicle from entering the compound area.

I don't recognize the fourth compound, which was also very damaged. There is a multiple story apartment building which was destroyed there. The three compounds I am familiar with had no buildings taller than two stories.

It sounds really bad over there.
#29 of 58 Old 05-13-2003, 08:18 AM

The BBC says that is was 3 compounds and then a business. Could the one you don't recognize be the business?
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/mid...st/3022473.stm

#30 of 58 Old 05-13-2003, 10:08 AM

I am so glad that so far everyone is safe...phew!

Now on another note: does anyone else find it interesting that the timing of this coincides with terrorism drills in the US?

http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_779395.html

Just an interesting co-ink-ee-dink, I am sure.

Joyce in the mts.

CD Labor/Postpartum (MSTM), Doula trainer (BAI), Midwifery Student/Apprentice, CPS Tech

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page