Funny...especially to those up on environmental issues... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 05-16-2003, 02:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It is the Wichita River Fest here...10 days of community events, parades, fireworks and the like. Yesterday Exploration Place, a hands-on science center for kids, was open for free. They were handing out balloons and bottled water as you exited. I was really excited to see they were handing out water to families instead of soda pop and happily took a bottle for each person in our family. As I was getting ready to open it I noticed who bottled it....Vulcan Chemicals. (If you aren't familiar with the company, just know they are one of the worst polluters in the nation for both air and water pollution.) Both dh and I broke out laughing and decided we really weren't sure that we wanted to drink it. There was no way we were giving that water to ds!

Of all the people to be handing out bottled water! I guess they figured we would need it since they had already destroyed most of the drinking water.:

Mom to 10yo Autistic Wonder Boy and 6yo Inquisitive Fireball Girl . December birthdays.

#2 of 7 Old 05-16-2003, 04:32 AM

: :LOL

You know, I went to the University at Buffalo over 20 years ago and we had the most beautiful sunsets imaginable there. The most incredible colors I have ever seen, and never have seen since.

The reason?

Hooker Chemical.

I'll guess they don't exist anymore, but they sure gave us some purdy pollution ...

: :LOL
#3 of 7 Old 05-16-2003, 08:10 AM

I'm from Buffalo, Amy. I had no idea Hooker Chemical was responsible for colorful sunsets. Every time I go home, I hear about someone being diagnosed with cancer.

As for the water...that's pretty ironic.
#4 of 7 Old 05-16-2003, 08:17 AM
Banned

Um....I just can't get past the imagery of some pointey eared fellow with green blood handing out sample bottles of spring water.

Sorry.

=/\=
#5 of 7 Old 05-16-2003, 12:14 PM

daylily ... ... don't mean to make light of the crimes of Hooker Chemical ... truly and seriously sorry about my ridiculous lack of sensitivity ... ...
#6 of 7 Old 05-16-2003, 06:27 PM

I think we could safely call this 'greenwashing".

Yech!
#7 of 7 Old 05-17-2003, 07:41 AM

I wasn't mad at you, Amy . Besides, there's so much industry in Buffalo, there could be a million causes for all these cancers: the oil refinery in Tonawanda is one. My mom's cancer was caused from living downwind from Bethlehem Steel.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page