#1 of 28 Old 05-29-2003, 12:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
b'h

from an email i got today:

Quote:
Subject: STARBUCKS CLOSING ALL STORES IN ISRAEL

Starbucks needs to wake up and smell the coffee. Please read on.

Just heard that Starbucks Coffee is closing all their stores in Israel. Starbucks says that it is a business decision not a political decision.

They ARE NOT CLOSING any stores in the Arab or Muslim countries.

Let us let them know that we will not patronise their stores for their position on Israel. When they lose enough business, maybe they will get the message that we as a Jewish population will not tolerate their actions.
We have to get the word out, so please send this message to any and all Jewish people you know.
#2 of 28 Old 05-29-2003, 12:49 PM

#3 of 28 Old 05-29-2003, 01:05 PM

Well, at first I was just going to say "friends don't let friends drink Starbucks coffee" so what does it matter anyway....

But seriously, Starbucks is a *major* corporation that is not exactly a pillar of ethics and social values (as far as I am concerned) so I actually doubt that their decision to pull out of any country would be done for_anything_other_than economic reasons.

This is the same company that the fair trade movement had to beg and plead for years to actually sell ONE type of fair trade coffee (bagged not drip) in their stores. They also are known for setting up shop right next to local cafe's and driving them out of business.

Gee, not having any Starbucks in my face would be a great reason I would want to move to Israel
#4 of 28 Old 05-29-2003, 02:30 PM

Sounds like Deidre is correct:
http://www.snopes.com/politics/israel/starbucks.asp

Pertenent blurb from the "Fourbucks" CFO:
'As Chief Financial Officer Michael Casey said about the cessation of Starbuck's operations in Israel, "It's a difficult place to do business, as you can imagine. And we've had some disagreements of philosophy with the partner. You put those two together and we just decided it was a good time to stop."'
#5 of 28 Old 05-29-2003, 02:45 PM

When you consider how many local neighborhood cafe and coffeehouses there are in Israel add in the economic situation, it's not hard to imagine that Starbuck's didn't do so well.
#6 of 28 Old 05-29-2003, 03:58 PM

Let us let them know that we will not patronise their stores for their position on Israel.

you must be kidding me???? I can think of better reasons to not patronise a store than the fact that they are closing their stores in a foreign country.
#7 of 28 Old 05-29-2003, 07:06 PM

I already boycott Starbucks, I can't boycott them twice..

Maybe no one goes there...I mean some of those local places have to have been around forever.

Not all those who wander are lost 
#8 of 28 Old 05-29-2003, 08:58 PM

#9 of 28 Old 05-30-2003, 02:40 PM

You should be happy they're getting out of there.

I don't go to Starbucks now.

Maybe I need to start going to Starbucks to support them for getting out of Israel and leaving the lucky Israelis alone to their local coffeeshops!
#10 of 28 Old 06-02-2003, 08:46 PM

Uh, I've never seen a Starbuks here. I've not even heard of one's existance:

Mabey there are one or two in tela aviv. No biggie that they are leaving, IMO. I'll take kapulski's or any local cafe' for that matter anyday over starbuks .

-BelovedBird

Mom of 5 boys- 13, 10, 8, 2 : and newbie Aug. 24th, '09 . babywearing advocate . Cook, baker, homemaker, wife to a man with another woman's kidney (live altruistic, unknown donor).
#11 of 28 Old 06-03-2003, 05:21 AM
pie

If it is political, that is fine for the Israelis to boycott Fourbuck's stance on the situation. All Fourbucks would be doing was exercising its corporate conscious.

Many people do oppose Israel's politics.
#12 of 28 Old 06-03-2003, 09:52 AM

Correctomundo, Mamapie

However, in this case the "pullout" is definitely not a "political" statement. In fact, the Chairman of Starbucks (aka Fourbucks ) has been quite quite outspoken in his support of Israel...

I think if Israelis want to boycott them then they should find out a bit about them and find an_actual_reason to boycott them (like I do which is because they are just like every other multinational corporation looking to take out the little guy with the "we're a socially conscious company" garbage thrown in))

Starbucks is all about money and market share....they are definitely not ones to exercise a corporate conscience...I am not sure they actually possess a corporate conscience

Like I said before I would love to live someplace with no Starbucks. I think it is great that Israelis support their local cafes

#13 of 28 Old 06-03-2003, 10:47 AM

The bigger Question IMO, is why is every corporate decision is assumed to be antisemitism by some groups??? Why did this email get circulated at all??
#14 of 28 Old 06-03-2003, 10:57 AM

"The bigger Question IMO, is why is every corporate decision is assumed to be antisemitism by some groups??? Why did this email get circulated at all??"

People are more sensitive to these issues than EVER before in recent history. Plus, shit stirring is fun for some...

My friends left in Saudi would never go to a Starbucks (there are many there)., They would not go there because any American restaurant or store could be a target at the moment.....

marg
#15 of 28 Old 06-03-2003, 12:50 PM

People are more sensitive to these issues than EVER before in recent history. Plus, shit stirring is fun for some...

I definately agree with you on the shit stirring.

I'm not sure about people being more sensitive than ever before though. I've noticed this going on for a long time. It certainly isn't new in the last couple years.
#16 of 28 Old 06-03-2003, 01:39 PM

I don't see mention of "antisemitism" in any form in the OP. I also don't understand all the referance to "sesitivity". (or "this" that is going on?)

The only thing I see in the OP's email is the assumtion that jews, just by virtue of being part of the jewish people, support the state of Israel, and believe business who support Israel should be supported- and those that don't boycotted. Obviously there is a flaw- one- in that line of reasoning. Just because a person is jewish- belonging to *any* sect or "denomination" does not mean that that person supports the state of Israel. As for the rest- if someone wants to make a statement that they disagree- for whatever reason- with a business, it seems boycotting is the way to go. Good for them, if they want to boycott, enjoy.

Personally I am not a zionist, I don't support the state and I never, ever saw a starbcks here. So the OP means very little to me.

-BelovedBird

Mom of 5 boys- 13, 10, 8, 2 : and newbie Aug. 24th, '09 . babywearing advocate . Cook, baker, homemaker, wife to a man with another woman's kidney (live altruistic, unknown donor).
#17 of 28 Old 06-03-2003, 01:43 PM

Pertinent article on this subject in yesterday's NYTimes:
http://www.nytimes.com/2003/06/02/te...rint&position=

Given the plethora of bogus/hoax emails that pollute the Internet, it is beyond me why people whose 'bullshit' detector isn't on high also appear not to have the Snopes.com website bookmarked.

And here's a stunner, there are plenty of these types of emails that have an anti-Israel/anti-Jewish theme:

http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/outrage/nocoke.htm
http://www.snopes.com/rumors/israel.htm
http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/outrage/domerock.htm
http://www.snopes.com/racial/business/kosher.htm
#18 of 28 Old 06-03-2003, 01:54 PM

So, RD, anyway to get me the info of how many starbucks there are here? And where? Not planning on going, just reaaaly curious.

-BelovedBird

#19 of 28 Old 06-03-2003, 02:18 PM

Can't help you there BB, 'cept that they appear to be none now:
(scroll down a bit after accessing link http://www.starbucks.com/aboutus/internationaldev.asp)!
#20 of 28 Old 06-03-2003, 02:20 PM

http://www.starbucks.com/retail/default.asp

"Store locator" comes up blank in Israel. Maybe diff if you enter city names.
#21 of 28 Old 06-03-2003, 02:26 PM

#22 of 28 Old 06-03-2003, 02:43 PM
pie

beloved you actually said what I was trying to say
#23 of 28 Old 06-03-2003, 03:37 PM

I know this is totally OT and pointless aside from my amusment but- starbucks does not come up on the store locator (putting in a city). I also called telephone information and asked for any Starbucks coffee shop in any city. For the hebrew speakers, the answer was "ain davar kazeh". Meaning- no such thing. So, I really think that there are no starbucks stores here and there never were.

-BelovedBird

#24 of 28 Old 06-03-2003, 08:10 PM

Quote:
by BelovedBirdSo, RD, anyway to get me the info of how many starbucks there are here? And where? Not planning on going, just reaaaly curious.
The original snopes link Rd gave said this:

Quote:
the most likely reasons for the retreat were Starbucks' difficulties in dealing with its Israeli partner and the underperformance of their six stores. (Starbucks was a latecomer to an already-saturated Israeli market, didn't adapt well to local market conditions, and offered little to distinguish themselves from their competition except higher prices).
(Bold mine)

BB, my understanding is all 6 stores were in Tel Aviv. They aren't there anymore so I guess they wouldn't be in the phone directory

And not to beat an already dead horse but I also think boycotts are an effective way of voicing an opinion about a company's actions/decisions...it just helps, IMHO, to actually have a legitimate reason to boycott them instead of making one up (i.e. that Starbucks pulled out of Israel as a protest against Israel)

~Deirdre
#25 of 28 Old 06-03-2003, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BelovedBird
. For the hebrew speakers, the answer was "ain davar kazeh". Meaning- no such thing.
BB - except that Bezek will say that about your own mother if it isn't right in front of the operators face on the first attempt to locate the number! LOL.
#26 of 28 Old 06-03-2003, 10:06 PM

T WTF is up with Els' signature? You're way out of line on the length there, girl. Did you get a special dispensation?
#27 of 28 Old 06-04-2003, 12:48 AM

You rattin on me?

I thought the limit was 3 lines. hahahahaa

In my book it is.

But this isn't my book, now is it?

pssst

I've long had a secret crush on bad boy SP, now that he is getting political I'm positively swooning
#28 of 28 Old 06-04-2003, 01:09 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
not that this exactly applies but it is not exactly off topic either......

but this is a very good (imo) debunker website of myths, rumors, scam, fake emails etc.

take a look. you might see some favorites.

http://hoaxbusters.ciac.org/HBHoaxCategories.html

Check out New Moon on my Astrology Site

http://tracyastrosalon.blogspot.com/

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page