#1 of 6 Old 06-06-2003, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Charming:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...l?nav=hptop_tb

Quote:
About a quarter of the nation's largest industrial plants and water treatment facilities are in serious violation of pollution standards at any one time, yet only a fraction of them face formal enforcement actions, according to an Environmental Protection Agency internal study.

When formal disciplinary actions were taken, fewer than half resulted in fines, which averaged about $6,000.

The study showed that some companies and municipalities have illegally discharged toxic chemicals or biological waste into waterways for years without government sanctions. Such discharges can cripple fisheries, taint fishing holes and increase the risks of illnesses ranging from skin rash to lead and mercury poisoning.
#2 of 6 Old 06-08-2003, 06:07 PM

Great article. I only wish it were surprising news.

The Post could easily run several weeks' worth of articles on "(Fill in the Blank Environmental Law) Rarely Enforced."

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

#3 of 6 Old 06-08-2003, 06:33 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Although it did not surprise me to hear the laws were not being well enforced, it was shocking to hear of the extent and the audacity of the violations. I'm surprised more people on this board are not upset by the information in the article.
#4 of 6 Old 06-08-2003, 07:04 PM

I'm born and raised on the south side of Chicago. (with bad, bad, Leroy Brown ) We've had bad air, bad water and bad ground for as long as I can remember. The steel mills do not bode well for the environment. We have had cancer "pockets" all around the mills..............................

I think here the ppl are numb to it. The mills are pretty much closed and everyone thinks it is getting better.........not so.

The fish in Lake Michigan have cancer - I haven't eaten any in years.

The last time I water skied in Lake Michigan (around the Chicago/Indiana shore) I took a bad fall, water went in everywhere. By the end of the week I had a bladder infection, yeast infection and a sore throat!!!! Won't swim on that side of the lake anymore.

IMO, we've been conditioned to understand that big business has no conscience and w/o big business we will have no jobs.................so we must accept it.

Bah.
#5 of 6 Old 06-08-2003, 11:22 PM

bs"d

This is :Puke.
#6 of 6 Old 06-09-2003, 11:26 AM

This is truly depressing

But unfortunately, no surprise.

My dh and I have a beautiful piece of property on a river in No. Ca. Sadly I have to tell my friends who visit that they have to swim at their own risk as most people who swim in it tend to get ear infections. There has been an outcry for years but this river is still the recipient of millions of gallons of treated wastewater and contamination from gravel mining. Add that to the millions of gallons of raw sewage that have been dumped into it over the years when the wastewater treatment facility floods and you have a pretty sad situation. Of course the treatment plant gets fined...but it still doesn't solve the problem of the flooding/overflow in the first place.

~Deirdre

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page