40% of teens get pregnant each year... - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 32 Old 06-22-2003, 12:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I think all the stuff that teen moms do that people disapprove of - like drop out of school or do drugs - adult moms do as well, but it's more accepted among them.

Like, if an adult woman drops out of college to raise a baby, people may say "Good for her, she's really got her priorities straight. Her kid won't have to be in daycare." But if a teen drops out of high school, she's just another pregnant teen dropout.

Or if a teen mother smokes pot, people might think "See, I was right, they all have drug problems." But if an adult mother does it, people say "Well, she's a mature woman, and she can make her own decisions."
#32 of 32 Old 06-22-2003, 12:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Miriam

What makes you think that your mom and your mil's alcoholism had anything at all to do with being young moms? My bil is a recovering alcoholic and he sure wasn't a teen mom!

There are people who have situations similar to your and your dh's current life situation who are alcoholics and bad parents.

The only real detriment to being a teen mom in our society, IMO, is the often sexist stereotypes about teen moms and lack of societal support for all choices (young women are judged for both having the baby and having an abortion).

Teen moms deserve accurate, positive information, free, top-quality childcare, free healthcare including midwifery services, governmental financial support that gives a living income for women who decide to stay home with the baby/child, student grants for university and college, and people need to stop being so judgemental about young mamas. Teen mamas deserve respect.

Quote:
Originally posted by miriam
DH and I were both born to teen moms.

My MIL was 17 and married when DH was born.

My mom was 20 and married when I was born.

Both of our moms were alcoholics.

We married each other when I was 22 and DH was 37. We had finished our education, built careers, bought a house, traveled and waited three years before conceiving #1.

We learned from others' mistakes.

But we have made our own mistakes that I hope our dear children will learn from.

Life is full of opportunities to make mistakes and learn from them.

Life goes on.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page