Our AG wants every sexually active minor turned in to SRS/police - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 40 Old 06-25-2003, 10:50 PM
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Woohoo!! You go, Lori!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 40 Old 06-26-2003, 12:13 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Non one deserves to be punished for having consensual sex, becoming pregnant or getting an STD. They deserve confidential, respectful, affordable medical treatment and nonjudgmental support.
#33 of 40 Old 06-26-2003, 09:23 PM

Everytime anyone goes to a health professional, their name, address, and social security number are collected.

Whatever and whenever anyone in this country goes into a health professional for, the ground work has already been laid for making an official report to the government.

Many memebers of my family are healthcare professionals and they use this for credit reporting and insurance information, but there is already the networking ready to report the health history of everybody who has ever been to a doctor, dentist, or other health care professional.

If you want the government out of your bedroom, you might want to start with keeping them out of your wallet.
#34 of 40 Old 06-26-2003, 09:40 PM

When a woman goes to the hospital and has her baby, the birth certificate is filled out.

On the birth certificate in CA, in most other states and in the UK, there is a score given regarding information about the mother.

WHY?

Who cares?

I do not know who cares but it is there. The score is:
Total times pregnant/
Total miscarriages/
Total terminations/
Total live births to date to this woman. (variations on this theme exist from state to state)

In CA there is also ethnic/racial information taken, information taken regarding who paid for prenatal care, information taken as to when prenatal care began, and any STDs the mother is treated for or has had.

Post Script: When a doctor asks you if you have had the flu and you say,"NO", they write, "NO" on the information form.

When a doctor asks you if you have had STDs, and you say,"NO," the doctor writes, "Patient denies STDs."

Why is that standard operating procedure?
#35 of 40 Old 06-27-2003, 12:37 AM

Quote:
When a doctor asks you if you have had the flu and you say,"NO", they write, "NO" on the information form.

When a doctor asks you if you have had STDs, and you say,"NO," the doctor writes, "Patient denies STDs."

Why is that standard operating procedure?
Good question!!!

no one answered CerridwenLorelei's question.... what happens if the 16 year old is legally married because her parents signed the consent form to allow it?

In many cultures 16 is not considered a child. Regardless of if one agrees morally or not, in the 21st century American culture, it is not unusal for a 16 year old to be sexually active. So why is it the buisness of "health professionals" or "legal authorities?"

Our state does not have a SRS, and the name frightens me. Social Rehablitation Services!?! Sounds very Orwellian to me!
#36 of 40 Old 06-27-2003, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter

16 isn't considered a minor....it is under 16. I don't know if a child under the age of 16 can marry in this state, so I can't answer that question.

As to the question "When a doc asks you if you have the flu and you say no they write no, but if a doc asks you if you have an STD and you say no, they say denies STD. Why is that standard operating procedure?"

This is not standard operating procedure. I would *never* ask anyone if they have the flu, in part because most people don't even know what the flu is. *Symptoms* are what one asks for. In the case of the flu, I would write "Pt reports cough productive of yellow sputum x 3 days. Pt reports muscle aches, pt attributes these to coughing fits. Pt reports inability to sleep "because I am coughing so much at night." Pt denies fever, head congestion. Pt reports history of frequent upper respiratory infections.

With an STD, it is the same. I would *never* ask "Do you have an STD?" That is a silly question, I have never heard anyone ask that. I would write something like "Pt reports vaginal dc et itching x 5 days. Pt reports dc is yellowish et odorous. Pt denies change in sexual partners."

It is the standard when documenting that if the patient says something, you write "pt reports" because if you just write "Pt has dc x 5 days." Well, you don't really know if the pt has had dc x 5 days. Maybe it was four, maybe 6. If you write, "Pt has no fever" you are stating that the patient has no fever. If you ask the pt if they have a fever and they say no, you document "Pt denies fever." Because all the data that you are collecting right now is *subjective*, and you must indicate it as such. Even if I took someone's temperature, I wouldn't necessarily write, "Pt has no fever." I would write the exact temperature on the progress notes.

Whether you think this is how documentation should be or not (most people seem to raise their hackles at the use of the words "denies" or "reports"), everyone has to document like this. It is the standard that *everyone* is taught in every medical and nursing school. When your agency is audited for whatever reason, if you do not document like this, you will be fined/marked down/whatever for improper documentation. *ALL* documentation must be like this, whether in a doctor's office, hospital, or visiting nurses. I don't believe that doctors or nurses are asking people "Do you have the flu?" or "Do you have an STD?" That is just not how it is done, and it wouldn't be very productive.

The use of "reports" and "denies" isn't because we dont' believe you...it is because we are collecting subjective data and need to indicate it as such. Documentation is a legal event, and it *must* (by law and by the standards set by accrediting agencies and by the nursing and medical boards) follow certain standards. Doctors and nurses who do not follow this method of documentation are not following the standard of care, and will probably be nailed at some point or other.

Hope this helps explain the terminology and the purpose of our methods of documentation.
#37 of 40 Old 06-27-2003, 05:28 PM

I have read that is the standard procedure in many areas. The health professional will ask "Have you ever had any STDs?" and then will write "Pt denies STDs."

This may sound overly simplistic, but here's my theory on that - many doctors hate women! If I hated women and wanted a job where I could act out my hatred in a socially acceptable way, I would become an OBGYN. Or maybe a psychiatrist.

Of course, many doctors - including male ones - do respect women.
#38 of 40 Old 06-27-2003, 07:01 PM - Thread Starter

If you have a history of having an STD, you are statistically more at risk for cervical cancer than someone who has not ever had an STD. There are two different types of paps currently done. At our office, we do the slide style pap for those who are not at risk for cervical cancer. The "thin prep" style pap we use for those who have previously had an abnormal pap or who are at risk for cervical cancer. It could simply be that the doc is trying to ascertain the patient's risk status for cervical cancer. There is also a place on the requisition form for many labs to mark whether the pt is at risk for cervical cancer.

I mark yes if a patient has a history of STDs, has had certain abnormal pap results in the past, if the patient doesn't seek regular health care and paps, if the patient is a moderate to heavy smoker, if the patient has multiple sexual partners, if the patient was sexually active at a young age, or if the patient uses oral contraceptives. Currently, all of these factors are considered risk factors for cervical cancer. Many labs have the paps of those at risk for cervical cancer screened at a higher level (like, by two different cytologists), or reviewed more carefully in some other manner, so I want to make sure that nothing gets missed.

I'll bet that he doesn't write "Pt denies STD." He will probably write "Pt denies hx of STDs." That is simply good history collection. You are statistically at greater risk for several health problems, including cervical cancer, if you have a history of STDs. Also, if you are having some sort of vaginal or reproductive "issue" (vaginal discharge, pelvic pain, mentrual irregularities, urinary tract issues, abdominal pain, etc) that is one of the first questions to ask. It is always possible you have been reinfected (like, your partner has not been properly treated, or you are still engaging in behaviours that put you more at risk, like not using condoms), or that your initial treatment was not successful -- several "bugs" are now showing resistance to certain initial therapies, and must be dealt with more aggressively. There is nothing wrong with gathering that sort of data when one is treating your health!
#39 of 40 Old 06-30-2003, 05:37 PM

Thanks for the explanation of the termonology. It does sound rather harsh if you don't understand why it is written that way, but makes complete sense when you explained it.

Mom to 10yo Autistic Wonder Boy and 6yo Inquisitive Fireball Girl . December birthdays.

#40 of 40 Old 06-30-2003, 05:45 PM

That still doesn't explain why they will write "No" when a patient denies high blood pressure but "Denies STD" when the patient says "No" to the hx of STDs question.

Mendelsohn talks of this in his "How Doctors Manipulate Women" book - that as a doctor, he was trained to see females as lying buckets of STDs and other germs. A doctor in his med school covered himself with slime for Halloween and said he was "going as a woman."

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page