www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2003/109/12.0.html
www.thetip.org/art_223_icle.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 20 Old 06-22-2003, 01:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
yes, but didn't he introduce the idea of original sin, definately not AP IMO.
#3 of 20 Old 06-22-2003, 01:20 PM - Thread Starter

I expect he would have been against abortion, the abortion of people's life AFTER they have been born. It is interesting to note, however, that abortion has existed since ancient times, and there is no mention of it specifically in the New Testament.

Do you think he would have invaded a country and murdered thousands of people for riches? Or cut healthcare? Or slice programs that help to educate and feed poor kids? Or choose to snub the court that prosecutes war criminals? The list goes on and on, and if you like, so will I. Apparently social responsibility is a relative concept.

#4 of 20 Old 06-22-2003, 01:21 PM
Banned

Does Democrat mean someone is AP? I'm not understanding that, sorry!
#5 of 20 Old 06-22-2003, 01:28 PM

no frogert, there is no association with any party and AP. And as much as I liked maxs poem, I don't really see jesus as a dem. Don't really feel like getting into a back and forth regarding scripture, so I'll just say that IMO there are some things that jesus said that are definately not democratic party causes.
#6 of 20 Old 06-22-2003, 02:44 PM

Dear Madmax,

Beautiful job. I loved your portrait of Jesus. He really was all that you have written (except a democrat).

Speculation on what 21st-Century American political party he would have supported is kind of "out there."

But it is critical to examine His life and character in making our voting decisions-----not just accepting whatever Jesse Jackson or James Dobson says.

His is the Kingdom of Heaven and His people are citizens thereof.

This would be a better country if everyone would take some personal responsibility for our neighbors, America's children and poor and elderly, etc. Instead of saying "Let them pull themselves up by their own bootstraps, those lazybutts" or "Just vote this way and the government will think up some new program--now let's go treat ourselves to a $7 cup of organic coffee and talk about how progressive we are" ( not to imply that anyone here would do such silly things)[/I], it would be nice if we'd get a meals on wheels route, or tutor a chid, or just make a tangible personal contribution. I know many of the posters here do such things, and they should be commended and encouraged.
#7 of 20 Old 06-22-2003, 02:54 PM

Also wanted to add....

I feel like we're walking a fine line between Spirituality and Activism, but...

Your lines about the right-wing hypocrites and Pharisees juxtaposed with teachings of His social gospel were on target. The interesting thing about Jesus always coming down hard on the Pharisees was that their stances were more in line with His when it came to theological issues than were say, the Sadducees'. But even though they were deeply learned in scripture and pretty much on the mark theologically, and adhered strictly to all the laws of righteousness, they missed the core of His teachings about the essence of Love. The conservative Christian political movement should remain alert and on guard against similar pitfalls.
#8 of 20 Old 06-22-2003, 03:03 PM

Wooo hoooo, Super Pickle is in da house!!!!

Glad to see you here, SP. I may not agree with you much, but love your capacity for critical thinking. Don't be such a stranger, OK?
#9 of 20 Old 06-22-2003, 03:08 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Superpickle...

Ok, Adriunna, he may have been with the "Greens"

Keep in mind all, I am being figurative and provoking thought, not speaking in literal terms. ~ especially given the fact that the democratic party wasn't formed until the 1800's ...

http://www.liberaljesus.com/
Quote:
If Jesus lived today, he would be crucified all over again. Jesus would be at the front lines of the peace rallies, defending a woman’s right to choose, and opposing Bush tax cuts. I’m serious! Groups that chastise such activities claim to be doing “the work of God,” yet they are acting the way the Pharisees did according to the Bible (the Pharisees, remember, crucified Jesus). How can anybody honestly claim to follow Jesus and not realize that Jesus was a liberal if there ever was one….and that is why he was killed!
http://www.southsidecoc.org/articles/2003/0316.htm

http://www.jesuswasademocrat.com/

http://www.fccb.net/was_jesus_a_liberal.htm

http://www.liberalslikechrist.org/

For you NM

http://www.trumbore.org/sam/sermons/sb43.htm

#10 of 20 Old 06-22-2003, 03:11 PM

Thanks CanOBeans I miss you all too but I have a new baby so these golden opportunities (both napping, everyone fed) are rare these days.
#11 of 20 Old 06-22-2003, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Arduinna
yes, but didn't he introduce the idea of original sin, definately not AP IMO.
A~I think that's debatable??? The first reference goes back to the old testament.

http://grigaitis.net/articles/coc_cath/sin_salv.html *posting this for reference, not to agree or disagree with it's content mmmmkkk?

Found a snip here...
Quote:
The doctrine of original sin comes from Ezekiel 18:2
Ezekiel 18:2 is often cited as the origins of the idea that the sins of the parents are passed on to their children, and this idea is often incorrectly called original sin. This is not the definition of original sin, and Ezekiel 18:2 does not refer to original sin. The sins of the parents remain the sins of the parents and are not passed on to their children. The children have only their own sins, and do not take on sins of their parents. Often the children sin in imitation of their parents' sins; however, this is not original sin, and the children are only responsible of their own sins. As the definition above explains, original sin is not a sin, but a state of privation of grace. The doctrine of original sin comes primarily form Sacred Tradition; however, Sacred Scripture also makes reference to it: Genesis 2:17; Genesis 3:3; Genesis 3:19; Psalms 51:7; Psalms 88:16; Romans 5:12; Romans 5:18,19; 1 Corinthians 15:21.
Me thinks Original sin goes back to Adam and Eve??? I'm no Biblical Scholar though

And, lets not forget it was Jesus who said : "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone." Kind of AP, if were talking AP here??? Jesus also said "let all the children come unto me"... yada, yada yada...

Also, FYI, some Christians don't believe in the concept of 'original sin', so ?

Perhaps El C will come and answer our questions on this?

Peace out (back to my haitus) ohhhhmmmm...

Sorry to take this thread T Max...

#12 of 20 Old 06-22-2003, 04:47 PM

yes, it was tied to adam and eve but that came after the fact. The Torah does not include the concept of original sin.

"Let he who is without sin cast the first stone." That would be me then. I don't sin, and I do not believe that people are sinful.

"Ok, Adriunna, he may have been with the "Greens"

I suppose, but somehow I don't feel that the idea of giving humans dominion over animals is part of the Green platform. But I'm not that familiar with the Green platform. I thought it was supportive of enviromentalism and saving animal species and not just the human race?
#13 of 20 Old 06-22-2003, 05:08 PM

A~As I said that not all Christians adhere to the philosophy of 'original sin' ...

And

http://www.expage.com/page/animaldominion

Quote:
Dominion is not the same as tyranny. The Queen of England has "dominion" over her subjects, but that doesn't mean she can eat them, wear them, or experiment on them. If we have dominion over animals, surely it is to protect them, not to use them for our own ends. There is nothing in the Bible that would justify our modern-day policies and programs that desecrate the environment, destroy entire species of wildlife, and inflict torment and death on billions of animals every year. The Bible imparts a reverence for life; a loving God could not help but be appalled at the way animals are being treated.
Some think Jesus was a vegetarian?

http://www.christianveg.com/wwje.htm

http://a1.nu/christian/vegetarian/jesus.htm

*disclaimer* not endorsing any of these sites, merely responding ...

Quote:
Adriunna said~"Let he who is without sin cast the first stone." That would be me then. I don't sin, and I do not believe that people are sinful.
Sounds like you may have agreed with Jesus on that one???
#14 of 20 Old 06-22-2003, 05:14 PM

I sincerely doubt that jesus and I agree on sin, especially since he endorsed the concept that it exists. Whereas I do not.

It's great that some Christians don't see dominion, or sin in the same way. But that doesn't change the fact that wrongs have been committed based on the the idea that humans have dominion or that people are inherantly sinful. That is really my point.
#15 of 20 Old 06-22-2003, 05:38 PM

Quote:
I sincerely doubt that jesus and I agree on sin, especially since he endorsed the concept that it exists. Whereas I do not.

It's great that some Christians don't see dominion, or sin in the same way. But that doesn't change the fact that wrongs have been committed based on the the idea that humans have dominion or that people are inherantly sinful. That is really my point.
I understand your perspective and respect your views. But, I honestly feel Jesus spoke more about hypocricy than he did sin so????

Also, "wrongs" or 'sins' depending, would have been committed with our without religion or Christianity, no?

I would also like to caution, that Christians have varied beliefs. There are Unitarian Christians, "Liberal Quakers" etc... all of which have a vastly different perspective then Southern Baptists do

Quakers, for instance believe that all people are born 'good'... And, that we are already 'perfect' but are capable of both good and evil.

I personally feel that Christianity has been perverted over the years, and much that people associate with "Christianity" or Christ, is not an accurate reflection of 'what it's all about'...

G' bye

PS Im out for a loooong time, need a break folks!

*woops edited spelling error*
#16 of 20 Old 06-22-2003, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Nursing Mother
Jesus never "enabled" people either. Taught hard work and personal and social responsibility....oh yeah and Jesus was most likely very much against abortion too....doesn't quite match up with the Democrat thing imo. I get your jist though
NM~would you be so kind as to provide 'scripture' from the new testament to help illustrate your beliefs. i.e. Jesus didn't 'enable' ... I'm finding much information about Jesus giving to the poor unconditionally. So I am a bit baffled.

And, social responsibility is helping others, right ? :

Thanks

I know I keep promising to leave. I just had to ask...since no one else did

I'm not gonna reply, but wanted some insight. Thanks again.

:ignore REALLY!
#17 of 20 Old 06-22-2003, 10:00 PM

NM~ :ignore
#18 of 20 Old 06-23-2003, 01:31 AM

I totally loved your poem, madmax! It definitely illustrates how I feel...as a catholic, I could never possibly be a "conservative" It goes against everything I think Christianity represents in my mind.
As usual, you rock!!

I KNOW Jesus would not start wars, deny health care to children and meds to the elderly. Jesus would never put corporations before the little guy...oh, I really doubt he was for the death penalty!

A great website:
http://elroy.net/ehr/fighttheright.html#liberals

Quote:
The Bible doesn't support multi-national capitalist companies. Rather it says greed is a sin (1 Corinthians 6:10). The Bible doesn't support the notion that we all deserve to have big cars, big houses, and even bigger churches in which to worship. In fact, gluttony is a sin (Proverbs 28:7). The Bible doesn't even say we should oppose taxes. Christ told his followers to pay them (Mark 12:17).
................. in the very first Christian church, conservative Capitalism was not the rule of the day. The first church was pure Communism. In Acts 2:44-45 we read "All who believed were together and had all things in common; and they sold their possessions and goods and distributed them to all, as any had need." Sounds a lot like Karl Marx's famous statement about Communism when he wrote that it would take "from each according to his ability to each according to his need."
And as far as abortion goes, the Bible does not see a fetus as being worth the same as a born human being Exodus 21:22-25) and takes into account the quality of life (Ecclesiastes 6:3-5, Ecclesiastes 4:1-3, Job 3:2-4,11-19 , Job 10:18-19). Something many fundamentalists tend to conveniently forget....:

Ilaria mamma to Owen, Caroline & Patrick .... loving life as expats in Asia intactlact.gifnovaxnocirc.gifuc.jpgnamaste.gif
#19 of 20 Old 06-23-2003, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by madmax
Thanks Superpickle...

Ok, Adriunna, he may have been with the "Greens"

Keep in mind all, I am being figurative and provoking thought, not speaking in literal terms. ~ especially given the fact that the democratic party wasn't formed until the 1800's ...

http://www.liberaljesus.com/

http://www.southsidecoc.org/articles/2003/0316.htm

http://www.jesuswasademocrat.com/

http://www.fccb.net/was_jesus_a_liberal.htm

http://www.liberalslikechrist.org/

For you NM

http://www.trumbore.org/sam/sermons/sb43.htm
Interesting!!!
#20 of 20 Old 06-23-2003, 05:55 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
This thread is more about religion and the teachings of Jesus than anything else. Sorry to have to close it but it can't be moved to Spirituality as religious debate can't be had there or anywhere else on the boards.

~Cynthia

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page