This is a message of God's hate - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 33 Old 06-28-2003, 03:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just had to run downstairs during a commercial to comment on this. The news just interviewed someone from a Kansas group of protesters who've come to our town to picket Pridefest. God hates America b/c we tolerate homosexuality. APparently, they have a picture of Matthew Shepard on their website and a counter of how many days he's been in hell.

So, they've chosen to "grace" our city/state now. They'll picket/protest the gay parade tomorrow morning and then head to several churches over the weekend that appear to be too lenient towards gays. My church is first on the list tomorrow night.

OMG, What a bunch of hateful freaks. How does one to react to the crap they spew? I guess the city plan is to simply try to ignore them.

ah, babe awakes...
#2 of 33 Old 06-28-2003, 03:32 AM

Im a christian & find this truely replusive
#3 of 33 Old 06-28-2003, 03:39 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Nikki Christina
Im a christian & find this truely replusive

Agreed.

Words F$%&'n escape me when I hear of crap like that.

Perpetually TTC #1.  Let's go, Lightning!
#4 of 33 Old 06-28-2003, 04:19 AM

Yes, that is Fred Phelps from Topeka. He brings his hate to our lovely little town on a regular basis to picket whatever and whereever. The worst part is that they actually have young children in their crowds holding those horrid signs.

I used to be a volunteer at our local fine arts theater and they were there almost every performance. It got to be that there was a general "public service announcement" against him, asking people to just ignore his presence.
#5 of 33 Old 06-28-2003, 04:20 AM

Did he really protest outside of Mr. Rogers memorial service?

http://www.anti-flag.com/ER10.php?essay_item=8

Perpetually TTC #1.  Let's go, Lightning!
#6 of 33 Old 06-28-2003, 06:11 AM

I am from Kansas also and very familiar with the Phelps family. Everyone in Kansas HATES that they are from our state. He protests the most bizarre things. Some things that you can't even figure it how it relates to gays or anything else. I went to a University of Kansas football game one time and he was there with his whole family protesting. They protest at lots of funerals including Matthew Shepard (was killed in Wyoming I believe). They have a website and it is the most vile disguisting thing you have ever saw. They are really a bunch of crazies and it is best to just ignore them. I think they really get off on a lot of attention.
#7 of 33 Old 06-28-2003, 09:20 AM

I'm in Kansas too, and this guy is a plague. I remember going to the Topeka zoo as a child and them being out there with there picket signs yelling and carrying on. They are horrible.
#8 of 33 Old 06-28-2003, 09:26 AM

Can you in Kansas contact your media centers and TELL THEM you want a balanced view of the parade????? If they interview one side they should be getting the other also.

It would at least frost his ass if he was followed by a gay spokesperson on the 6:00 news.......................

El
#9 of 33 Old 06-28-2003, 10:47 AM

oh, I wish I could post how I really feel about this but I'm sure some people would find it quite offensive.

I think these protesters should spend their time on a worthy cause like helping the homeless instead of spreading the shame of their beliefs.
#10 of 33 Old 06-28-2003, 11:47 AM

El, no one (at least here) gives him credibility. Everyone thinks he is nuts. I have never known or heard of a single person that has given him an ounce of positive attention. His picket signs are SO far from JUST anti-homosexual rhetoric. They are so hateful and horrid that I cannot imagine a news crew goin close. AT least around here, everyone just shakes their heads in awe of the stupidity and ignorance of him.
#11 of 33 Old 06-28-2003, 12:40 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
HOly Cow. Don't people have anything better to do with thier lives then to go around cultivating hatred. This guy needs to find someone to love and leave everyone else alone. what a sad life to be so consumed with hate. just in case it isn't clear, God doesn't hate anyone. Ans as for this phelps guy. he obviously knows nothing of my God.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#12 of 33 Old 06-28-2003, 01:20 PM
Joi

Wow that is truly upsetting.Just disgusting.
#13 of 33 Old 06-28-2003, 01:33 PM

Everytime I hear Matthew Shepard's name, tears spring to my eyes. His parents deserve saintly status for not going on a murderous rampage among those who continue to celebrate his death. It literally makes me sick to my stomach.
#14 of 33 Old 06-28-2003, 01:55 PM

:Puke

You can find me on Facebook. PM for info.
#15 of 33 Old 06-28-2003, 02:43 PM

I had a friend who ran a fundraiser when he stopped in town here. They looked for people to donate for every minute he spew hate during his "speech" to I believe PFLAG. In his name of course.

That made me very happy to hear.
#16 of 33 Old 06-28-2003, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter

Miranda-that's really clever!!
No, this is his first time to our state so people aren't yet trained to ignore him. I'm afraid the shock will garner some attention.

Will let you know if they do anything newsworthy-the parade usually gets good coverage. And, we do plan to head to church tonight.
#17 of 33 Old 06-28-2003, 03:33 PM

Sorry. Somehow I got the idea the pridefest was in KS.

BusyMommy, I would love to hear if your news balances off the interview with better coverage of the event. They always go for the sensational (which, of course, drives idiots like this).
#18 of 33 Old 06-28-2003, 05:15 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Yes he/they really did protest in PGH the weekend of the public memorial service for Fred Rogers.

As I recall they got no news coverage, only enough info that people knew they were going to be in town. The suggestion in the letters to the editor was that people show them the kind of love Fred would have.

"What will you do once you know?"
#19 of 33 Old 06-28-2003, 05:19 PM

moving this to Activism!
#20 of 33 Old 06-28-2003, 05:53 PM

Yuck! Matt Shepard died in my town at the local hospital. For the 5 year anniversary of his death there was a huge pride festival at CSU stadium. The city allowed that a$$ a permit but put him in the corner of the parking field really far away from the festival! He was so POed! We just laughed at him!

Eden yikes.gif, working on a PhD in Education mama to Laurelleshamrocksmile.gif (16), Orijoy.gif (6), Yarrowfaint.gif (4) and Linusfly-by-nursing1.gif (1) partner to Brice. 
#21 of 33 Old 06-28-2003, 08:00 PM

Quote:
He is a horrible insult to Christians imo.
Or, perhaps he has a different understanding of god's words.
#22 of 33 Old 06-28-2003, 08:05 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
As soon as I read the thread title I knew who it was referring to.

That man is pure evil. I can think of no other way to describe it.

His website is truly awful, and he is miguided to say the least.

He protests regularly in Boulder, and I have gotten into one screaming match with one of his cronies.

I honestly thought I was going to be ill when he protested Matthew's funeral. We did The Laramie Project at CU and there were rumors that he was coming to picket....never did though. I do know he picketed the show when it opened in Denver.

As much of a non violent pacifist as I am...I can not honestly think that this man has any place in the world, especially not if his hate reaches impressionable minds. I have wished that someone would decide to take him out. He is just a useless waste of breathable air and human skin. I can't express how much I cannot stand the man and everything he stands for.

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

#23 of 33 Old 06-28-2003, 08:27 PM

Just ignore them!!!!!!!!!!!

They are just looking for publicity!

Just like the movement in the 70's that said Rock 'n roll is from the devil. Most Christians ignored them and, the movement seems to have gone away, except for in a few fring extreamist churches.

Please, please, don't judge followers of Christ by these nut casees!!

#24 of 33 Old 06-28-2003, 08:39 PM

It's sad that there are people in the world like this. These people are not Christ's followers. They are followers of their own hatred. Sick. They are not worth discussing.

^^Liss
#25 of 33 Old 06-28-2003, 08:39 PM

I just went to the website and am sickened by what WBC preaches using God as a front for their sickness. I am a believer in a kind, loving and just God...Not a hate war mongerer this jerk is. He'll burn. This group is just like the KKK, Nazis, etc. perpetuating hate in God's name. The sorrow I feel is immeasurable.
#26 of 33 Old 06-30-2003, 06:03 AM

He makes me ill. I am so embarased he is in Kansas.

He was on the radio once and I called in and evangelized to him talking about the works of Christ. The host thought I was really funny as it made Phelps really mad, especially when a bunch of other callers did it too.

Not trying to make fun of Christianity or anything I am one....

Not all those who wander are lost 
#27 of 33 Old 06-30-2003, 08:48 PM

From Kansas too...man this guy is horrible!!!! I also guessed who was being talked about by the title. He just makes me sick!

He thrives on publicity, so the best thing to do is ignore him.

I know there was some thing that was done one time to counteract him, but I don't remember what it was. I think maybe some fundraising thing where for every member of Phelps party, a donation was made to some group he was picketing (or something like that). Really made him mad. If anyone remembers what that was exactly, please post it.

Mom to 10yo Autistic Wonder Boy and 6yo Inquisitive Fireball Girl . December birthdays.

#28 of 33 Old 06-30-2003, 10:21 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
I posted something a while back about one thing that was done.

Phelps was planning on picketing a gay bar (no idea where this was a while ago) and the bar owner decided that he would do a sort of "protest-a-thon" kind of thing. With patrons pledging a certain amount of $$ for each hour that Phelps was out there picketing. The story was great, a straight guy and his kid were walking by and saw the commotion and went into the bar and pledged money. I guess the bar was full the entire time that Phelps was there. The bar raised near to $5K and donated all the money to a gay advocacy group I believe.

I will search for the article...it was cool.

Here it is!
http://www.autbar.com/fred_phelps_press_release.htm

I thought it was a great response to someone you cannot possibly reason with. Make money off his stupidity.

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

#29 of 33 Old 07-01-2003, 12:38 AM

yeah, thats the idea I was trying to recall. Thanks!

Mom to 10yo Autistic Wonder Boy and 6yo Inquisitive Fireball Girl . December birthdays.

#30 of 33 Old 07-01-2003, 01:32 PM - Thread Starter

That is too awesome. People are creative.

He didn't get much coverage here. Paper and TV showed more Pridefest and just a sidebar of him. Sadly, they labelled him as a "Christian group."

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page