Republican environmentalists - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-30-2003, 03:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anybody know of any organizations or websites of Republican environmentalists?

Or for that matter, Republican gay-rights activists, pro-choice groups, feminists, or groups supporting secularism, sustainable energy, organic farming, and anti-racism /anti-poverty work?

And as in my last thread, please no insults to the Republicans. I'm still on my self-education mission, not looking for our few Republican sisters here to get flamed. If you can provide anyinfo or links, great. If not, please respect my wishes to have information only, not contrary opinions, on this thread only. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2003, 03:47 AM

I did a google search on the first one, conservative environmentalism. Found lots.

Maybe you could do your own google search and find some really good information.

Good luck on your journey...
Old 06-30-2003, 03:51 AM
Banned

Excellent idea (on Googling), K&JsMaMa. I was going to suggest exactly that!

Good luck with your mission, summermom!
Old 06-30-2003, 04:02 AM - Thread Starter

I was googling away, but not coming up with much of anything because I wasn't using the right search terms I guess. I hadn't thought of using conservative instead of Republican. Thanks!

Here's one promising one I found! http://www.repamerica.org/
Old 06-30-2003, 09:38 AM

Funny, dh went through the same search a few years ago...he's the biggest tree-hugger I know, pro-choice and was a registered Republican. Although there are some of those organizations, they are truly non-consequential in the goals and missions of the Republican party as a whole, and its eleceted official.

Anyway, here is a good one:

http://www.republicansforchoice.com/

(BTW, dh ended up changing his party affiliation and voted for Gore )

Ilaria mamma to Owen, Caroline & Patrick .... loving life as expats in Asia intactlact.gifnovaxnocirc.gifuc.jpgnamaste.gif
Old 06-30-2003, 11:03 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Ilaria
Although there are some of those organizations, they are truly non-consequential in the goals and missions of the Republican party as a whole, and its elected officials.
That's too bad. But thanks for the link!
Old 06-30-2003, 12:43 PM

Not an organization, but an interesting article.

Crunchy Conservatives

Old 06-30-2003, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Although there are some of those organizations, they are truly non-consequential in the goals and missions of the Republican party as a whole, and its elected officials.
Right, cuz then we'd be Democrats.
Old 06-30-2003, 02:11 PM
Banned

Thanks for the interesting article, Delta!

I wonder, though, if the author's trip down Highway 1 in CA, and the realization that the continued existence of the natural beauty that can be found while driving on it was due in large part to the activism of "tree huggers," resulted in any environmental ideological change in the author.
Old 06-30-2003, 02:19 PM

Hey NM, I was joking around.

But still, I am happy to let the Dems be the advocates for some of those things, ESPECIALLY pro-choice views.
Old 06-30-2003, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Marlena
Thanks for the interesting article, Delta!

I wonder, though, if the author's trip down Highway 1 in CA, and the realization that the continued existence of the natural beauty that can be found while driving on it was due in large part to the activism of "tree huggers," resulted in any environmental ideological change in the author.
I was listening to NPR a few weeks ago. The show was about California and how we have a huge number of liberal, "tree-hugger" here, however, we consume more, per person, than any other state.:
Old 07-01-2003, 09:58 AM

K&Jsmama~
Re: consumption ~ not sure if this is really a liberal or conservative issue or can be broken down along those lines. How does one legislate consumption? I know some simple living conservatives and liberals. I also know many movie stars who have million dollar plus mansions who consider themselves liberal and environmentalists. Hmm, I would have loved to have heard how the show was relating the two.
Old 07-01-2003, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Deirdre
K&Jsmama~
Re: consumption ~ not sure if this is really a liberal or conservative issue or can be broken down along those lines. How does one legislate consumption? I know some simple living conservatives and liberals. I also know many movie stars who have million dollar plus mansions who consider themselves liberal and environmentalists. Hmm, I would have loved to have heard how the show was relating the two.
Deirdre,

I actually do not recall all of the details. I caugt the last bit of it. All I remember is the ca had the highest consumption rate yet we also have the most "environmentalists"...something along those lines.

Sorry to be so vague.
Old 07-02-2003, 03:33 PM

LOG CABIN REPUBLICANS http://www.lcr.org/

Women deserve better: http://womendeservebetter.com/ (not pro choice, but very pro women)

I know a lot of crunchy sustainable and community supported ag farmers that are conservative--but don't know if they have formal organizations that say "we're crunchy and conservitive" because I think that might hurt business.
Old 07-03-2003, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by summermom
Anybody know of any organizations or websites of Republican environmentalists?
..., Republican gay-rights activists, ...?
If not, please respect my wishes to have information only, not contrary opinions, on this thread only. Thanks!

AN OXYMORON?

No, not really.

I do not know of a website, but there is the Log Cabin Club/Group, a long established group of Republican gays who helped elect Ronald Reagan as governor of CA in the 1960's and later as president of the US in 1980. I believe they are part of the Hollywood elite.

Good luck!
Old 07-06-2003, 01:30 AM

Thanks Delta for the link to the article on crunchy conservatives. I think it fits dh and I, although we are more the poor artsy types than the conservatives in the article.

Here is a bit I found interesting. I would love to see the current map of the political landscape changed.

Quote:
Soon, Kreeft and his radical friend found out that despite the gulf that separated them on politics, they shared a number of areas of agreement (suburbs bad; nature good; big business and big government bad; small business and small government good). Kreeft determined from this that "beneath the current political left-right alignments there are fault lines embedded in the crust of human nature that will inevitably open up some day and produce earthquakes that will change the current map of the political landscape."
Old 07-06-2003, 01:53 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the links. They're very interesting. Except the Log Cabin ones that I'm afraid to check out because they might make me too mad! (I've always associated the Log Cabin folks with rich, posturing, elitists.)
Old 07-06-2003, 01:59 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
big business and big government bad; small business and small government good
But doesn't the Bush administration support big business?
Old 07-06-2003, 03:32 AM

Quote:
But doesn't the Bush administration support big business?
Summermom, surely you don't think all Republicans and conservatives support everything that the Bush administration supports? Surely you don't think the democrates supported everything that the Clinton administration supported?
Old 07-08-2003, 10:38 AM - Thread Starter

Well, the difference is that a lot of those who voted Clinton in didn't know what he was going to turn out like. I mean his betrayal of gay rights with the whole don't-ask-don't-tell BS came as a terrible blow to gay rights activists who had supported him. In fact he turned out to not stand as strongly on any of the issues that he had used as his election platform. And then the Monica episode! :

But everyone voting for Bush knew full well he was pro big business, so if they're actually supporters of small business, why did they vote for him? Maybe because his stand on abortion mattered more?

User Tag List