Mothering Forum banner

Global Warming Alert

2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Daphnes_mama 
#1 ·
Reaping the Whirlwind: Extreme weather prompts unprecedented global warming alert

Quote:
In a startling report, the WMO [World Meteorological Organization] , which normally produces detailed scientific reports and staid statistics at the year's end, highlighted record extremes in weather and climate occurring all over the world in recent weeks, from Switzerland's hottest-ever June to a record month for tornadoes in the United States - and linked them to climate change.
Apparently this report is a bit of a shocker because the World Meteorological Organization is "an impeccably respected UN organisation that is not given to hyperbole."

The weather here (NY) has been truly crazy since November this year (astounding amounts of snow in the winter and astounding amounts of rain this spring), and I've been wondering all along whether this had something to do with global warming.

The future of this world looks bleak to me.

#5 ·
I saw a sobering report on "NOW" last night, and I am very frightened. Scientists believe that we will see a global climate change of 6-8 degrees in the next 50 years. It may not sound like much, but temps today are estimated to be only 12-15 degrees hotter worldwide than during the ice age. A rise of 6-8 degrees is an unheard of, never experienced global climate changge. A rise in temperature will impact everything and cause crop failure (less snow melt to irrigate the crops), more species of plants and animals to go extinct, cause a rise in sea level which can obliterate some countries in the South Pacific, and cause more natural disasters. It will be horrible unless we change our ways.

Check out these articles on the "NOW" website.

http://www.pbs.org/now/science/climateqanda.html

What scares me so much is that these estimates are conservative. It could actually happen at a much higher rate and be a lot worse. This is not something that will happen long after we and our children and grandchildren are dead. This will impact THEIR lives. My child and her future children will be living in this hot, dead world unless we do something about it. Shoot, even I will be still be around if I am lucky.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.