Washington, Once More, Shows Its Support for Our Troops - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-18-2003, 11:21 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
why should a soldier and her family have to get LESS benefits for the SAME government that is putting them in harms way than a soldier who is still stateside with his family?
I don't see how not being taxed is getting less benefits? If they are not paying into the system, why should they get a rebate? Heck, if the government told me that I could not be taxed at all, or I could take the Tax Credit at the end of the year, I would darned well choose not to be taxed!

And, to be clear, I'm not discriminating between deployed and stateside soliders. Across the board, I think if you didn't pay in the amount of money you'd get back in the Tax Credit, then you should NOT get the credit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2003, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by CanOBeans
Just curious -- do you itemize? Do you agree with deductions for mortgage interest, charitable donations, etc? Don't answer if the question is too personal.
This is a tough one actually. I fundamentally disagree with itemizing because it is allowing the government to reward certain behaviors and not others. I also disagree with the idea that the standard deduction for a married couple is less than that for two single people. So far in my tax filing, my itemized deductions never went over 2x the standard single deduction. So in the past I have itemized and have not really felt guilty about it. This year we will not because we are renting due to a temporary move.

For me though, it is totally different to accept a credit or deduction towards taxes you have already paid into the system. The line I am unwilling to cross is taking money back that I never paid in the first place.

I personally believe in a flat income tax, with a higher standard per person deduction that would leave low-income households untaxed, like they are now.
Old 07-22-2003, 06:47 AM

I think Dragonfly aked a question about the soldriers breaking even with the nondeployed since they are recieving extra pay.

The answer most are, some are not. Depending on where you are stationed while you are nontaxed you may not be recieving that much in extra pay to began with(for bosnia it was about an extra$320 a month. They were taxing us about $210 in federal befor ethat. Taht's $110 left even BUT your pay does go up so does the taxes. You still have to pay FIca, medicare and all that. I noticed that the amount they took all went up after he recieved his "extra pay". It varied from $10 to $50. So by my calculations(and I did calculate) we broke exactly even from before he went. Teh extra money cancelled it self out with the additional taxes tehy took.Hope that made sense

This time around everyone kept commenting on how we woudl be doing so good with ALL he extra money he will get from being over there. Well you be the judge before he left the pay was about $1450 every two weeks after taxes. Now it's about $1750(after taxes every two weeks)may seem petty but I think they could at least keep the credit. I know families who really need that money and their checks aren't that great even with the "extra" pay.

I think I'm ranting and getting off topic, sorry it's late and I'm worried as usual.
Old 07-22-2003, 01:24 PM - Thread Starter

And don't forget that a large number of the troops stationed "over there" are reservists who are forsaking their often higher paying jobs to defend our county.

I hope your dh comes home safely and swiftly. You must be so worried right now. Thank you for sharing your perspective. I was going to look up the military pay and IRS tax tables to prove my point, but I think real life examples are better.

Wendydagny, I also advocated for the flat tax up thread. I am saying that in the current bizarro tax code, every effort should be made to treat our soldiers well. So if there are increases in Child Tax Credit's, our soldiers should receive it. If anything, its a morale issue.

And I don't think our troops should necessarily be tax exempt, it was just a curious phenomenon to ponder, that's all.

Peace

User Tag List