wow. tears in the house - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 07-27-2003, 03:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
http://www.startribune.com/stories/484/4004443.html

"WASHINGTON, D.C. -- Rep. Bill Thomas, one of the most powerful committee chairmen in Congress, told a hushed House chamber Wednesday that he exercised "poor judgment" last week when he ordered Capitol Hill police to remove Democrats from a congressional library where they had been meeting.

"As my mother would have put it, 'When they were passing out moderation, you were hiding behind the door,' " the California Republican -- often described as abrasive -- said as he choked back tears.

"I learned a very painful lesson on Friday. As members, you deserve better judgment from me and you'll get it," he said. "Because of my poor judgment, those outside the House who want to trivialize, marginalize and debase this institution were given an opportunity to do so."

thank god for his mother!

if the link dries up...just go to google put in thomas ways means apology... you'll get a lot of links.

Check out New Moon on my Astrology Site

http://tracyastrosalon.blogspot.com/

#2 of 7 Old 07-27-2003, 05:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
A routine Ways and Means Committee session on pension legislation dissolved into partisan bickering after Democrats said they hadn't had enough time to review a substitute version offered by Thomas. When he refused to delay the vote, the Democrats filed into an adjoining committee library to consider their next move.

Thomas summoned Capitol police to oust them, although the officers declined to do so.
I'm glad he apologized, but what is his problem? (Other than, according to this article, a democrat kept referring to a republican senator from Colorado as a "little fruitcake.")

And these are the leaders of one of the most powerful nations on earth.:
#3 of 7 Old 07-27-2003, 06:09 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I find it refreshing to see an ACTUAL apology from a public official. As opposed to the usual explaination/excuse disguised as an apology.
#4 of 7 Old 07-28-2003, 06:25 AM

Quote:
"I learned a very painful lesson on Friday. As members, you deserve better judgment from me and you'll get it," he said. "Because of my poor judgment, those outside the House who want to trivialize, marginalize and debase this institution were given an opportunity to do so."
Alright -go ahead and flame me Republicans - but I find this soooooo typical of Republican maneuvers - apologize so that you can regain power - but make it always with some sort of , "but THEY made me do it . . . " Some apology - he didn't learn that his attitude toward the opposition and politics was wrong - he learned that THAT action caused him trouble - but still it was all the minority's fault. :Puke
#5 of 7 Old 07-29-2003, 04:41 PM

I heard him give excuses for his bad behavior, but I heard his speech and never heard "I'm sorry." or "I apologize".

All the same, I'm glad he cried like a baby with a busted toy.
#6 of 7 Old 07-29-2003, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Delilah
I heard him give excuses for his bad behavior, but I heard his speech and never heard "I'm sorry." or "I apologize".

All the same, I'm glad he cried like a baby with a busted toy.
You're right - and can you imagine what he would have done next if the capitol police did what he thought he had the power to tell them to do? : I am forever amazed at how appropriate my signature is! I don't know that I'll ever change it - but in case I do, "NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF DENIAL!"
#7 of 7 Old 07-30-2003, 09:59 AM

I'm a conservative rightwinger, and reading this makes me sick (I havent watched the news in, like, forever).

This guy sounds like a mental midget.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page