Forum Jump: 

#31 of 50 Old 07-31-2003, 06:56 PM
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally posted by mahdokht
My husband does not get health insurance through his job. ....

Oh and there are insurance companies (usually PPO's) that cover homebirth, I know some midwives who are paid via insurance.
That's truly too bad. HIPAA is very specific concerning when an insurer may and may not discriminate and/or impose waiting periods based on one's prior or current health condition, and it sounds like it doesn't protect you here (unless your husband elected COBRA continuation coverage with his last job's insurance and exhausted that coverage before seeking individual market insurance).

Incidentally, if you know of any insurers who specifically cover homebirths (many cover midwifery services, _other_ than a homebirth itself), please let me know! My understanding is that homebirth coverage is relatively unusual.
#32 of 50 Old 07-31-2003, 06:57 PM

#33 of 50 Old 07-31-2003, 07:02 PM

We're donating ours to the Democratic party.

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

#34 of 50 Old 07-31-2003, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jane
We're donating ours to the Democratic party.
Now there's an idea! You may donate here.

https://www.democrats.org/support/do...cecode=SNETF12
#35 of 50 Old 07-31-2003, 08:15 PM

Woa, it ISNT a refund..it is an advance. Very different things.

This is an advance from NEXT YEARS taxes..so it will be deducted from your refund next year...it is not a refund. If it was a refund it would be money you were given for LAST YEARS taxes..this is from THIS YEARS taxes....

It is confusing to be sure

Not all those who wander are lost 
#36 of 50 Old 07-31-2003, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Marlena
Incidentally, if you know of any insurers who specifically cover homebirths (many cover midwifery services, _other_ than a homebirth itself), please let me know! My understanding is that homebirth coverage is relatively unusual.
T

It really depends on where you live. In FL, for example, JEB BUSH (believe it or not) pushed through a bill that required all insurance companies covering maternity care to cover care by an LM, so in a sense covering homebirth. There, Medicaid covers homebirth, and I had two births paid for by Tricare (military insurance).

Here in NC, Tricare's not required by law to cover it (yes I am doing a legal CNM homebirth), so they won't.
#37 of 50 Old 08-01-2003, 12:49 AM

Blue Cross Blue Shield PPO paid for my CNM homebirth.
#38 of 50 Old 08-01-2003, 02:20 AM
dlb

Location: between the silence of the mountains, and the crashing of the sea....
We will be getting it, but it makes me feel kind of off kilter. Kind of like this administration is trying to play head games with money.

I have so many needs this year, but will try to use a portion of it to help some folks I know who are struggling. And, of course, my local nursery will receive a portion. (and I justify that by the fact that we donate bouquets to various organizations).

I don't know, it kind of feels like when a relation I can't stand buys me an expensive gift, and I'm sitting there wondering what their motive is. Sort of like like "oh, crud, now they expect me to like them or something."

dlb
#39 of 50 Old 08-01-2003, 03:43 AM

We are donating it.

It will be to causes that have suffered the most since Dubya was 'elected': environment and social services for the poor.

Ilaria mamma to Owen, Caroline & Patrick .... loving life as expats in Asia intactlact.gifnovaxnocirc.gifuc.jpgnamaste.gif
#40 of 50 Old 08-01-2003, 04:21 AM

We would donate it, but we just can't afford to do that. All thanks to our booming economy (sarcasm ) and the fact that my dh could not find steady work for two years.
#41 of 50 Old 08-01-2003, 09:03 AM

They way I understand it, this is an advance on next year's child tax credit, which will be $1000 per child. So, when you file your next tax return, you'll be able to claim $600 per child rather than $1000 because you've already been advanced the $400. So I don't think the ammount we receive now will be subtracted, exactly, from next year's refunds. Also, after a year or so (sorry, I can't remember exactly how long) the child tax credit will go back down to $600.
#42 of 50 Old 08-01-2003, 09:07 AM
Banned

T

Thanks, Wendy and Els'!
#43 of 50 Old 08-01-2003, 10:44 AM

nak

i understand this is being done, supposedly, to stimulate the economy and get folks spending.

but i wonder how much $ the bush administration is spending in labor costs, paper, postage, etc. to send out advance refund for money we would have received anyhow, albeit in 2004.

anyone know?

my $ is going to NARAL and i'm sending a letter to bush thanking him for helping me support choice.
#44 of 50 Old 08-01-2003, 11:12 AM

Quote:
It really depends on where you live. In FL, for example, JEB BUSH (believe it or not) pushed through a bill that required all insurance companies covering maternity care to cover care by an LM, so in a sense covering homebirth.
Oh, I just can't let this go, even though I know it's off topic.

Jeb does NOT get credit for this, nonononononoNO!

Lawton Chiles, the Walkin' He-Coon, did this manymany years ago. Lots of homebirths in his family, and he's the one who pushed through the bill. Gods love that sweet old redneck, may he rest in peace.

Is Jeb trying to say that it was his own administration? What a schmo.
#45 of 50 Old 08-01-2003, 02:41 PM

As far as I know though, it was the Bush admin that supported broadening the legislation to require Tricare to cover it. My mw told me that before my birth in 2000, Tricare (and other govt insurance plans) were exempt from the legislation for some reason, and that the legislation was broadened sometime in 1999.

Sorry if I wasn't clear in my post before. Bush helped make my insurance cover it, at least according to my mw. I guess she could be wrong :

And FL is a great state in terms of homebirth! Even if we have to blush at people like Lawton Chiles
#46 of 50 Old 08-01-2003, 04:56 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Okay, so this is based on 2003 earnings or 2004? Cuz the IRS site asks for info on your 2002 filing status. What a mess!!

hhmmm.. I had a Tricare paid homebirth in 2000 in Virginia... I don't think Jeb had anything to do with it. If you meet the requirements Tricare has to pay out of service providers as long as they are properly licensed healthcare providers.
#47 of 50 Old 08-01-2003, 05:09 PM

The ASSumption is that if you claimed the full exemption in 2002 you will claim it in 2003 so they will give you the $400 up front.
#48 of 50 Old 08-01-2003, 05:12 PM
Banned

I'm thanking my lucky stars for that refund. We need it to pay bills.
#49 of 50 Old 08-01-2003, 05:20 PM

It's your 2002 income that matters.

T
Actually, the base can determine the policy on Tricare paying for maternity by requiring that everyone receive maternity care from the base hospital (even if you have a civilian PCM) unless they get a release from the CO of the hospital. If the base is requiring this, then of course Tricare won't cover a civilian provider. That's what they were doing in FL, and they're no longer allowed to-- they are required to let you go off base for care by an LM because they don't provide them; but they still don't have to let you for OB or CNM care.
#50 of 50 Old 08-01-2003, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Sorry if I wasn't clear in my post before. Bush helped make my insurance cover it.
Whoops! Sorry, Wendy -- that's what I get for correcting before I get clarification. I didn't realize that Tricare wasn't included in Chile's bill, but I should have known that the military follows its own rules ... : Glad for you that they've got it together now!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page