Free State Project - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 08-08-2003, 02:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just wondering if anyone else out there has heard of it or signed up for it. I did. I hope I won't regret it. If you don't already know, the Free State Project is a bunch of people who believe in limited governmtent and personal freedom who are going to join with 20,000 others to move to a state we vote on and start changing the laws so that they are more freedom-friendly. The web address is Freestateproject.com I'm interested in hearing from others. Or recruiting others! I also thought I might find some like-minded mamas who think Libertarianism is the way to go. Another thing that turned me on to FSP was that on the part of the site that tells which states are candidates, there are links to sites with information on various state statistics. They included information such as homeschooling laws, midwifery laws, and vaccination laws. Could you imagine making your OWN decisions about your OWN children and not being harrassed about them?! So what do you think? Was I crazy to sign up?
#2 of 7 Old 08-08-2003, 03:45 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I've never heard of this but I can't see any harm in signing up. I mean, it's not legally binding and you haven't like, sold your house and given someone all the money, right? So you read and you learn about them and see if it still sounds like a good idea when the time comes. I would very much want to meet some of them eventually. Sharing ideals with someone isn't the same as liking them or wanting them as neighbors, you know? My biggest concern would be if they are really into promoting everyones freedoms or just the ones they like to exercise while squashing the freedom of those don't care for, you know?

Good luck. It sounds very interesting.
#3 of 7 Old 08-08-2003, 03:59 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah, I surely want to meet the others before moving. On their web site they have a way of connecting with FSPers in your area. As for squashing freedoms of others, i highly doubt that true FSPers would do that. They said something on their sign up page about anyone who wants to promote violence, racial hatred, bigotry, force, or coercion, or (oh man I'm tired and can't remember the exact words) but you know, along those lines, were not wanted to participate. They are looking for those of us who want to do our own thing as long as we aren't hurting anyone else and who want to let others do their own thing. We believe our ideas can stand on their own, we don't want to force others to agree with us, we just want them to respect our ways and we will respect theirs (as long as they aren't violent, hateful, etc...)
#4 of 7 Old 08-08-2003, 10:15 AM

Haven't heard of it before, but we are Libs and I'm going to check it out. For 20,000 Libs to agree on anything will be a miracle!! LOL

thistle
#5 of 7 Old 08-08-2003, 03:47 PM

I recently took the test [http://www.politicalcompass.org/] and scored as left-libertarian. But, as someone with lots of ties to one of the "target" states, I've got to add my two cents here and respectfully disgree with the idea of this mass moving of house in order to create a libertarian wonderland.

Vermont (the state which I know really well) is a great place, imho , and it has a long history of leaving well-enough alone, and respecting others' right to privacy, and all that. But, its laws and ways of interpretating and enforcing the laws are generally borne out of debate by people who live there and have lived there for a while and plan on living there for a while yet. What this Free State movement looks like to me is a kind of carpetbagging with a fancy name.

Imagine, if you will, that you are living in a small town. Not perfect, but home. You attend meetings of the school board, select board, zoning board, and the local UCC church council. You've long ago memorized all of Roberts Rules of Order and know them and the Bill of Rights better than the Pledge of Allegance. Over the years, you have, along with several other score of people in your town, made sure the road repairs are prioritized every spring, the school budget is figured out and voted in, that kids whose parents don't want military recruiters to have their children's personal information don't lose their privacy, that the long-needed senior housing complex got built, that the common stayed a common that wasn't a parking lot, that farmers could still keep a parts car or three in their front yard (no matter what the weekenders say), that there is some kind of mental health counseling available in the town and support of families of the mentally ill, and so on and so on.

Now, imagine that relatively suddenly (let's say over the period of a year, or two), large numbers of people move in. First of all, because of demand, land and housing prices go through the roof. Then, you find that all of these newcomers have a political agenda, not identical amongst them all, but still broadly linked. And, they are active and tend to cram meetings and vote together as a "bloc" because, since they moved there for an abstract political ideal, and not because they knew anyone or fell in love with a house, or wanted to "go back to the land" and try to be a farmer, they don't know their neighbors nor the political history of their new state/county/township and all its subtleties. And, suddenly, your world gets changed by idealists more than any amount of flatlander weekenders from the NE strip city suburbs could do.

Would you feel happy about this?
#6 of 7 Old 08-09-2003, 02:55 AM - Thread Starter

Maybe I wouldn't feel too happy about that. But i also don't feel welcome in Maryland. I don't feel happy about the two party system. I am trying to spread the Libertarian message but too many people where I live don't give a hoot about anything political. The slogan for the project is "Liberty in our lifetime." I cannot live the rest of my life in an oppressive state like Maryland. Do you know they are talking of putting a tax on the services of lawyers, hairstylists, and doctors?! Maryland has some of the worst taxes on various things. As far as I know the FSP is trying to choose states that are already freedom-friendly, such as Vermont. While i can't speak for all Libertarians, I myself can say that I would love to see individual communities getting together and setting up their towns according to what's important to them, like the common area you mentioned. I'm all for free market, but if a town gathered together to protest a certain business coming in or road being built, then I think I support that. Although I also feel that people and businesses should be able to use their land however they see fit. I'm getting way off topic here. i know Vermont already is set up to just let people do their own thing. My stepmom lived in Vermont a long time before she married my dad and my aunt still lives there and i spent many summers there. My folks really liked the way things were done in Vermont. Anyway, I think the FSP is trying to choose a state where we could assimilate easily and where the residents are already open to Libertarian beliefs. We don't want to take over a state. We just want to be able to live more freely according to our beliefs.
#7 of 7 Old 08-10-2003, 02:51 PM

Definitely checking it out!!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page